Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2012   #61
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WTF is going on with Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Both y'all are misplaced in your thinking... I think other teams are scheming against Foster therefore limiting his game.

Foster will regain his ability to gash teams as he adapts to what they do against him. Meanwhile his 1148 yards will look... "pedestrian".
Oh Im sorry, I did not know they did not game plan for Foster the previous 2 seasons, how foolish of me

No one (at least I think) is claiming foster is done, or garbage, but to watch him play and think he passes the eye test is crazy IMO He lacks explosion and vision, 2 of his most predominant features as a back
Old 12-14-2012   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Oh Im sorry, I did not know they did not game plan for Foster the previous 2 seasons, how foolish of me

No one (at least I think) is claiming foster is done, or garbage, but to watch him play and think he passes the eye test is crazy IMO He lacks explosion and vision, 2 of his most predominant features as a back
I don't know man.

I've been called crazy a few times, and the one ends up go see a psychiatrist isn't me
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #63
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of me suspects that Foster is saving HIMSELF for the playoffs (and next year).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Part of me suspects that Foster is saving HIMSELF for the playoffs (and next year).
There's nothing wrong with Foster, as I has pointed out on the first page of the thread.

It takes just two big plays where he had excellent blocking like last year, and his number would be the same.

On top of that, we have more opportunities to use him in short yardage and near the goal line situations this year than last.

He's also involved more in fourth quarter turtle mode to chew out the clock.

I had actually studied them all.

Nothing to do with vegan, or Vegeterian, or anything of that sort.
Old 12-15-2012   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

It takes just two big plays where he had excellent blocking like last year, and his number would be the same.
2 plays? or 2 plays a game?

I think 2 plays a game is a problem.
Old 12-15-2012   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
2 plays? or 2 plays a game?

I think 2 plays a game is a problem.
Just 2 plays in 13 games for 81 yards.
Two big plays where the hole was huge, and/or pursuit taking a bad angle.

Remember Troy Polamalu and "Michelle" Griffin (that's what they call him on the Titans board, LOL).
Old 12-15-2012   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Read post 11 and 13 of this thread.
Old 12-15-2012   #68
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 132152 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

IF he had more big runs and IF he did it on fewer carries, his stats would be as good as last season. hard to argue with that.
Old 12-15-2012   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
IF he had more big runs and IF he did it on fewer carries, his stats would be as good as last season. hard to argue with that.
Remember how a lot of people talk about the right side of the line and how we miss Dreessen.

Not only that, Wade Smith is playing "more hurt" this season than last.

It's only a coincidence that Tate and Forsett see a big hole or two here and there. With much fewer carries, a good run bump up the average quite a bit.

And they are not used in those short yardage situations anywhere as much as Foster.
Old 12-15-2012   #70
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 132152 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm not buying the short yardage excuse. as i mentioned earlier, foster's average between the 20's is down a full yard. his first down average is down .2ypc, second down is down .6ypc, and third down is down 2.1ypc. his average to the left is down .9ypc, to the left sideline is down .6ypc. he's missing holes that are there, and he's going down with or before first contact. that has nothing to do with anyone else.

Old 12-15-2012   #71
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's really simple.

I had listed several reasons at different times, I won't bother listing them again.

Instead, I will give some very basic numbers.

So far, Foster had played in 13 games (as many as he did the entire last year.)

He has 20 more caries, but he has 80 few yards.

A couple of simple queries using Play Finder at ProFootball Reference .com
Shows that he has 2 fewer plays of more than 20 yards (5 as opposed to 7).

The additional yardage gain on those 2 extra plays is 81 yards.

That's right there is the simplest answer.

Then I used Game Rewind to go back and watch those plays to verify them.

A question for you guys is how often did you hear an announcer call out a name of a blocker on our run plays?

Not very often, right?

Well, on those long plays, at least one or two guys were called out because of their blocking near the POA.

It's as simple as that, really.
I don't even need to recount the other factors and reasons.
First off, he has 20 MORE carries with less yardage, thats a big problem.

Secondly, 2 runs of 20 or more yards in no world equals 81 yards, he could have had 2 21 yard runs, adding to his total carries and still not equal to the yards, thus keeping his YPC DOWN which is the problem posters are having. He still has stats and good amount of carries, but he is not taking full advantage of his opportunities.
Old 12-15-2012   #72
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm not buying the short yardage excuse. as i mentioned earlier, foster's average between the 20's is down a full yard. his first down average is down .2ypc, second down is down .6ypc, and third down is down 2.1ypc. his average to the left is down .9ypc, to the left sideline is down .6ypc. he's missing holes that are there, and he's going down with or before first contact. that has nothing to do with anyone else.

You can't just look at numbers by themselves.

Numbers between the 20 don't mean squat.
If you want to look at numbers, look at:

The times a back carries the ball inside his 3 yard line (not much different here, one more carry this year, but it affects the overall picture a short hair).

Look at the times a back carry the ball near the opponent goal line (4 yard or 3 yard or less).

Look at the times a back Carry the ball trying to make a first down on third and short or fourth and short.

Look at the times a back carry the ball in the fourth quarter when the team has a big lead (turtle mode).

Look at the big plays. Watch those plays.
Did they come about due to good blocking or because the back break a tackle or make a defender miss.

Numbers don't tell you that a defender gets blocked out of a play.
They don't tell you that pursuit was terrible.
They just record the outcome, not how it comes about.
Old 12-15-2012   #73
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
1st in yards? I'm confused. Adrian Peterson leads the league in rushing yards by a huge margin so it can't be that.

I agree for the most part, but his low YPC has to be a concern. He's still done well all things considered but it's obvious he's not playing as well as last year. Hopefully that's due to the O-line not playing as well and not him slacking after the big contract, but who knows.
I never once stated that he was 1st in yards. I said that he was like 200 yards away from being in 1st in yards, and that's not far at all. He is sixth, but he is right on the heels of every guy in front of him other then AP. Foster is 1st in TD's as well which suggests that he's been an excellent and reliable RZ back all season.

I'm just not getting this exaggerated criticism on Arian Foster when you look at his entire season. He's been a top 3 back in this league all season long. Nothing is wrong with the guy other then probably a few aches and bruises. I wouldn't mind seeing him rested for a game before the playoffs. Let Tate and Forsett carry the load. They are both more then capable.

I've got no worries about Foster what so ever.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It's only a coincidence that Tate and Forsett see a big hole or two here and there. With much fewer carries, a good run bump up the average quite a bit.
Man that's a hard sell.
Old 12-15-2012   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Secondly, 2 runs of 20 or more yards in no world equals 81 yards, he could have had 2 21 yard runs, adding to his total carries and still not equal to the yards, thus keeping his YPC DOWN which is the problem posters are having. He still has stats and good amount of carries, but he is not taking full advantage of his opportunities.
Last year he had 7 plays of 20 yards Or MORE.
He had only 5 this year.

The extra 2 Big Plays netted him the extra 81 yards.
Go check it.
Old 12-15-2012   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Man that's a hard sell.
If you don't watch those big plays.
Old 12-15-2012   #77
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

The extra carries are the carries in short yardage and turtle mode.

More importantly, aren't you among those who are concerned about the right side of the line and missing Dreessen?
Old 12-15-2012   #78
76Texan
Hall of Fame

In fact, I have a strong case that Foster is having a "better" year despite the subpar blocking as compared to last year.
Old 12-15-2012   #79
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
You can't just look at numbers by themselves.

Numbers between the 20 don't mean squat.
If you want to look at numbers, look at:

The times a back carries the ball inside his 3 yard line (not much different here, one more carry this year, but it affects the overall picture a short hair).

Look at the times a back carry the ball near the opponent goal line (4 yard or 3 yard or less).

i dont have this stat, link?

Look at the times a back Carry the ball trying to make a first down on third and short or fourth and short.

winner - 2011 and 2010

Look at the times a back carry the ball in the fourth quarter when the team has a big lead (turtle mode).

winner - 2011 and 2010

Look at the big plays. Watch those plays.
Did they come about due to good blocking or because the back break a tackle or make a defender miss.

Numbers don't tell you that a defender gets blocked out of a play.
They don't tell you that pursuit was terrible.
They just record the outcome, not how it comes about.
you're trying to have your cake and eat it too, even though the numbers you keep cherry picking are also down. his stats are down in every part of the field and almost every situation - i gave you links. the visual tells me that he's missing his lanes, he's not able to elude defenders, and is going down on first contact. why is it always someone else's fault?
Old 12-15-2012   #80
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Before we go on, I'd like to hear some anwers to these basic questions:

Do you think D. Brown is as good in his blocking as he was last year?

Is Wade Smith?

Is Myers?

The combo of Caldwell, Jones, and Brook?

The combo of Newton and Harris?

How about Gardner?

How about O.D.?

How about Casey?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read