Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2012   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62307 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why is Phillips getting a pass?

I see alot of people pointing fingers at Kubiak and the offense and rightfully so. But what about Philllips? Seems like everyone is making excuses for him. "Oh he has so little work with because of injuries" and "he has got this team to over achieve". BFD! All defenses go through that at some opint in a season. Thats where a great coordinator steps up shows why he is great.

Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like he's gone extra vanilla on his blitz packages. I'm not a big X's and O's guy but I can't remember the last time saw Phillips send one of our OLB's on loop around stunt to the inside. What happened to moving the weak side LB all over the place to put him in position to take advantage of miss matches and take advantage of his rush abilities. All he's done the second half of this year IMO is use the OLB's as edge setters or speed rushers around the outside on obvious passing plays. Where is the creativity we were promised?

I'm sorry but this defense has to get pressure on the QB to be successful. Phillips need to dial it up a notch or we are going to end up wasting this season no matter what the offense does.
Old 12-14-2012   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is Phillips getting a pass?

Because, Cody almost died because of a punctured lung. (Nitro?)

Cushing and Reed are lost probably for the season.

Joseph is playing hurt. Any more questions?

The Texans are 11-2, Wade's undermanned defense stopped Brady 4 times in a row. If you're going to beat a team like the Pats you've got to be able to win time of possesion/score points. This is why I hope the next draft is heavy on offense.

I want to see what Gary can do with a couple of elite offensive weapons. Maybe he will eschew his conservative ways, LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #3
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has hosted a 4-game losing streak every season he has been here.
It is he who must prove his credentials as HEAD COACH are moving
to the next level. Wade is a defensive coordinator, and is doing a hell
of a job. It is Gary's offense that can't get a 1st down to close out a
game, or continue a drive in the parts of the game it matters.

Wade's defense doesn't seem to play scared against high competition. Gary's
offense was a comedy of errors twice this season against championship
caliber teams. I don't hate Kubiak. I just want to see HIM improve as
a HEAD COACH.

Handing Ben Tate his first carry well into the third quarter against the
Patriots tells me Gary puts his ego over the needs contributing to this
team winning. Wade's defense has masked Gary's crap all season long,
and it's time the offense played to the level the defense has since
Wade got here.
Old 12-14-2012   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62307 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Because, Cody almost died because of a punctured lung. (Nitro?)

Cushing and Reed are lost probably for the season.

Joseph is playing hurt. Any more questions?

Again with the excuses. How about the entire right side of the offensive line being new and being rotated every game. Why the excuses for Wade but not for Kubiak? P.S. I'm not defending Kubiak! Just pointing out Phillips needs to do a better job to. Go look at how many yards we have given up in the last four games.

Quote:
The Texans are 11-2, Wade's undermanned defense stopped Brady 4 times in a row. If you're going to beat a team like the Pats you've got to be able to win time of possesion/score points.
Quote:
This is why I hope the next draft is heavy on offense. I want to see what Gary can do with a couple of elite offensive weapons. Maybe he will eschew his conservative ways, LOL
If you want to beat top QB's like Brady you need to get to them,,,,, alot. This is why I want to draft heavy on defense. I want a front seven rotation that can get to the QB like the Giants have.

Even if you score alot against these type QB's they still find ways to win if they get the ball at the end. There is no better more proven way to win than to get defensive pressure on the QB.

Now to get back on track. We better get to Luck or he's going to pick us apart. and if we don't get to him early Phillips better make some adjustments and start taking advantage of our Defensive weapons.
Old 12-14-2012   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

a HEAD COACH.

Wade got here.
Wade is doing a hell of a job? How many yards have we given up the last four weeks?

Wade's defense doesn't seem to play scared against high competition? What did Green Bay and NE do to us?

Throughout Wades career as a D coordinator his defenses have gone backwards in his second year with each team. I'm starting to think that is what is happening here.
Old 12-14-2012   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

And if Wade wasn't here and we had another defensive cord. of the type Kubiak had been hiring pre-Wade, we wouldn't be 11-2 right now.

You have to play good on both sides of the ball. If you are in a passing game shoot out and the other teams is scoring like GB and NE did, trying to run the damn ball probably isn't the answer. Hell, I miss the Schaub years when he was throwing for 4000 yards. We really need to draft on the offensive side of the ball next year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

a HEAD COACH.

Wade got here.
It is what it is. Although I agree with you, you do realize that it will take the win starved fan base another 4-5 yrs to come to the conclusion that BoB's team can never win a SB under Gary. Our Agggie fans wont admit this and I peesonally will have given uncle BoB 100,000 grand. But, the Texans are 11-2 and who's contin a few hundred thousand $$$$ among friends,

BTW, uncle BoB you know how to build a championship team better than I do. So, I will be at reliant screaming my lungs out with everybody else, and I KNOW THAT's WHAT'S IMPORTANT TO YOU.

The Texans are the moderm day version of the Moon lrad Oilers. Except Schaub doesn't have the natural ability Moon had. Any way as a fan of professional football im Houston, we are screwed.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2012   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
And if Wade wasn't here and we had another defensive cord. of the type Kubiak had been hiring pre-Wade, we wouldn't be 11-2 right now.

You have to play good on both sides of the ball. If you are in a passing game shoot out and the other teams is scoring like GB and NE did, trying to run the damn ball probably isn't the answer. Hell, I miss the Schaub years when he was throwing for 4000 yards. We really need to draft on the offensive side of the ball next year.
I totally agree with this. Especially right at their best defensive player who is a known run stopper. However Schaub was throwing for those 4000 yards with basically the same weapons he has now. Just because Kubiak has more weapons doesn't mean he'll use them properly.

Right now if you take Watt out of this defense what do you have? To me Wade is relying on Watt to much in his game plan. He's moving him around and pretty much ignoring the abilities of all the other guys.
Old 12-14-2012   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I totally agree with this. Especially right at their best defensive player who is a known run stopper. However Schaub was throwing for those 4000 yards with basically the same weapons he has now. Just because Kubiak has more weapons doesn't mean he'll use them properly.

Right now if you take Watt out of this defense what do you have? To me Wade is relying on Watt to much in his game plan. He's moving him around and pretty much ignoring the abilities of all the other guys.
Agreed about Watt, especially with Cushing gone.

How do you fix this? I go all offense in the draft, this will help the defense by keeping it off the field. Unless Gary has another brain fart and insists on running the ball up the niddle against a NT like Wilfork.
Old 12-14-2012   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Every year?

I think Wade has been under scrutiny since Detroit. However, he has got a pass from most everyone for the Boston Masacre, because he did what a DC is supposed to do. Adjust in real time & flip that switch. The defense pretty much dominated the Patriots for the second & third Qtrs, in so much as you can dominate that offense.

The offensive side of the ball never seemed to. They went from bad to worse.
Old 12-14-2012   #11
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

11-2
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now to get back on track. We better get to Luck or he's going to pick us apart. and if we don't get to him early Phillips better make some adjustments and start taking advantage of our Defensive weapons.
He's got a QB rating of 74..... he's not picking anyone apart.
Old 12-14-2012   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post

Paper mâché 11-2
They haven't had a decent win since October. Injuries have weakened the team on both sides of the ball. But I agree with the OP. If you want to point fingers at Kubiak, then stop making excuses for Phillips.
Old 12-15-2012   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
He's got a QB rating of 74..... he's not picking anyone apart.
Look at what he's been able to do in the last minutes of games. If this is a close game and we are not getting pressure on him that 74n wont mean jack.
Old 12-15-2012   #15
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
They haven't had a decent win since October. Injuries have weakened the team on both sides of the ball. But I agree with the OP. If you want to point fingers at Kubiak, then stop making excuses for Phillips.
Yep.

I got crushed for saying "put some blame on Wade, too"(or, "don't just give Wade ALL the credit"). But, folks have their favorites and folks have the players, coaches, etc that they can't stand.

As for the October thing...What do you mean "decent"? Win margin? Overall play?
Old 12-15-2012   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Look at what he's been able to do in the last minutes of games. If this is a close game and we are not getting pressure on him that 74n wont mean jack.
Different issue altogether. The only thing to worry about Luck is if it's a one score game near the end.

Other than that, the only people who need to worry about Luck, are the Colts fans. He'll throw interceptions, he'll fumble balls.... but he won't be "picking anyone apart." Thanks to that 74 qb rating.
Old 12-15-2012   #17
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Because Wade isnt the Head Coach...
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Different issue altogether. The only thing to worry about Luck is if it's a one score game near the end.

Other than that, the only people who need to worry about Luck, are the Colts fans. He'll throw interceptions, he'll fumble balls.... but he won't be "picking anyone apart." Thanks to that 74 qb rating.
He's led them to a 9 and 4 and just two games behind us. remember the last time we played jacksonville? Who's their QB and what's his rating?

/
Old 12-15-2012   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Because Wade isnt the Head Coach...
irrelevant
Old 12-15-2012   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I certainly didn't give Wade a pass.

I "criticized" him for taking the foot off the pedal in the Bronco's game.

I gave him pass in the Jags game because our secondary made too many mistakes, but I called him out for not fixing it when the secondary failed against the Pats. Or when guys were late going out to cover Hernandez.
I even said pre-game that I wasn't gonna be too happy if he has Bradie James on Hernandez or any of our LBS on Woodhead.

All those things hurt us and I criticized Wade for not having a good game plan and for not preparing the guys well enough.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read