Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-13-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: HWSNBN Historically Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Carr was always miserable to the middle of the field. Teams already had 2 years of tape on him when 2004 started. I am not making excuses for Carr as I believe he was never going to make it but I think there was a coaching philosophy change as well.
My opinion is that Car was at his best when he was allowed to take chances. Give Andre & his play makers a chance to make plays. He got to the point where it looked like he was being coached not to take chances.

Nobody is going to succeed at the QB position if they don't take chances.
Old 12-13-2012   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts are that Carr was at his best when he wasn't a Houston Texan. The pick was an enormous mistake.

2002 first overall should have been Julius Peppers. I said it then and I was far from alone.

Then you start Tony Banks who was better than Carr in every single game he got into for the Texans. Chester Pitts starts at LT and stays at LT.

2003 you get Andre Johnson which was obviously the best player available. Continue with Tony Banks and keep playing Chester Pitts at LT.

2004 you grab Ben Rothlisberger before the Steelers get him. If there's a QB in existence who can handle whatever early issues the Texans OL had and still get it done then Rothlisberger is the guy.

Epic Texans success begins...
Old 12-13-2012   #23
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
My thoughts are that Carr was at his best when he wasn't a Houston Texan. The pick was an enormous mistake.

2002 first overall should have been Julius Peppers. I said it then and I was far from alone.

Then you start Tony Banks who was better than Carr in every single game he got into for the Texans. Chester Pitts starts at LT and stays at LT.

2003 you get Andre Johnson which was obviously the best player available. Continue with Tony Banks and keep playing Chester Pitts at LT.

2004 you grab Ben Rothlisberger before the Steelers get him. If there's a QB in existence who can handle whatever early issues the Texans OL had and still get it done then Rothlisberger is the guy.

Epic Texans success begins...
Easy to say now. The 1st pick in 2002 is the only one you can say for sure they would have had. From that point you don't know if they'd have the 3rd pick in '03, 10th in '04 and so on.

With a veteran QB, what if they win a couple more games in '02? 4 games they lost that season by 7 points or less. Then they're picking 6th, 7th in '03 and they don't even get AJ then.

I agree that Carr shouldn't have been the pick, but you can't go on to say "then they could have gotten AJ, then big Ben" and so on because you just don't know how it would have turned out.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #24
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr was historical suckage. F him and his softness, it was an embarrassment to call him a Texan.
Old 12-14-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
David Carr was historical suckage. F him and his softness, it was an embarrassment to call him a Texan.
Really?

I'm far from a David Carr fan. I was very "vocal" about it on the original board. I pointed out his flaws & argued for his replacement before the 2005 draft.

But embarrassment?

I mean I rooted for the guy for two years, he looked the part, strong arm, athletic, a gamer in my mind.

Then all that was whipped out of him. I think there were too many "I'm going to get mine" players on that team at the time & he fell into it. The coaches didn't help. He was very, very talented.

I think it's an embarrassment for the club that he turned out the way he did.
Old 12-14-2012   #26
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Easy to say now. The 1st pick in 2002 is the only one you can say for sure they would have had. From that point you don't know if they'd have the 3rd pick in '03, 10th in '04 and so on.

With a veteran QB, what if they win a couple more games in '02? 4 games they lost that season by 7 points or less. Then they're picking 6th, 7th in '03 and they don't even get AJ then.

I agree that Carr shouldn't have been the pick, but you can't go on to say "then they could have gotten AJ, then big Ben" and so on because you just don't know how it would have turned out.
Of course not. It's nothing but mental masturbation at best. Still, taking Carr was a huge mistake and if the win/loss record had not changed that would have been the obvious move (even without the benefit of hindsight where Rothlisberger is concerned).

If you don't take Carr and go with Banks but still win 4 games that's fine. You're an expansion team in your first year. The next year you obviously do what we did originally and grab AJ

By year 3 it's find a QB time most likely and Ben is perfect for a team with a less than stellar OL because he's so big and so good at shaking off would-be tacklers. What's really scary is if you follow this possible scenario up to this point and then don't get a shot at him your next QB off the board was Losman, then..... Matt Schaub.

But it's all just talk. Doesn't mean anything.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read