Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2012   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: WTF is going on with Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I am really starting to wonder when Tate is going to start shouldering some of the load again like he did last year. Foster and Tate were great together last year and provided the defense to gameplan for both. I loved it when we pitched the ball out to Tate wide for 7 yards each time.
Tate was on the radio after the game & they asked him how he was feeling, if he was ready to take on the role he had last year. He basically said no. He wants to be, but he isn't.

He said he was winded in the Titans game even though he didn't play much. He felt good during Monday's game, but the recovery wasn't where he wants it to be.

& I agree, when it looks like Tate & Foster are competing against each other, it's good news for the Texans.
Old 12-13-2012   #42
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Foster has misplaced his vision, I will not say he lost it because I don't think you can entirely lose it, but he makes TERRIBLE reads sometimes. He always seemed to forget about the cutback, but he would do it a few times a game, not its RARE that you see him cutback at all, not sure why, because thats where we get out biggest runs, when the defense over pursues. He needs to watch a little more film from last season and maybe it will click for him....
Old 12-13-2012   #43
coltfan123
Veteran

Rep Power: 2844 coltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Heh, well....I was one of only about three people calling attention to it from the beginning of the reg season.

I don't know if it's the diet, the new $$$, the lack of Winston and Brisiel, some sort of situation involving Tate....but he's shutting it down early in a lot of games.

He's also running more through the middle when his bread and butter is always the edge and then a cutback. Don't know if he's trying to prove (to himself?) that he can run anywhere ,even the middle, or what.

But it's been off all season. He might not have been a big fan of seeing Winston and Brisiel leave. Because he's not running as well, for sure.
Sure it has nothing with his new celebrity endorsement with krogers...i work for krogers and it depressed me and sucks the life out of me...foster is the poor guinea pig of the virus krogitis...
coltfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #44
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I think Foster has misplaced his vision, I will not say he lost it because I don't think you can entirely lose it, but he makes TERRIBLE reads sometimes. He always seemed to forget about the cutback, but he would do it a few times a game, not its RARE that you see him cutback at all, not sure why, because thats where we get out biggest runs, when the defense over pursues. He needs to watch a little more film from last season and maybe it will click for him....
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan123 View Post
Sure it has nothing with his new celebrity endorsement with krogers...i work for krogers and it depressed me and sucks the life out of me...foster is the poor guinea pig of the virus krogitis...
Both y'all are misplaced in your thinking... I think other teams are scheming against Foster therefore limiting his game.

Foster will regain his ability to gash teams as he adapts to what they do against him. Meanwhile his 1148 yards will look... "pedestrian".
Old 12-13-2012   #45
coltfan123
Veteran

Rep Power: 2844 coltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Both y'all are misplaced in your thinking... I think other teams are scheming against Foster therefore limiting his game.

Foster will regain his ability to gash teams as he adapts to what they do against him. Meanwhile his 1148 yards will look... "pedestrian".
there is truth to that every team first game plan is to shut foster down..thats why texans have two diffrent types of backs...while they are getting there foster fix look like your going to hand to foster, then flip it to tate or forseet and burn it deep...creative play calling is what was missed monday..
coltfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #46
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 11446 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster biggest strength is his ability to be patient behind his blocker. With the right side of the O line being atrocious as they are, his biggest strength has become his biggest weakness.
When that side of the line is getting breach at the point of handoff he needs to abandon his patient running and hit whatever hole that is in front of him. Instead he gets chase down by the lineman causing the breach.
That's why Tate and Forset are getting more production per carry. Those two are not as patient and that's why it looks like they getting to the holes faster.
If that right side don't improve it's best to play Forset and Tate. But we all know that'll never happen.

That side of the line is also atrocious on pass-blocking. People blame Schaub for not getting us back in the N.E. game. But it was that part of the line that kept getting blown up and missing blitz pickup that ultimately kill our comeback chances.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #47
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Over using him. Tate coming back will help get his explosive big playmaking back in order.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #48
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Over using him. Tate coming back will help get his explosive big playmaking back in order.
Which is all well and good except for the fact that Foster's performance hasn't really fallen off the last few games, it's pretty much been at the same level all season.
Old 12-14-2012   #49
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9534 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very disappointed in Arian Foster's two primetime games against Super Bowl contenders. Those were the games I expected him to play like a superstar and lead us to a victory.

He had 17 carries for 29 rushing yards (1.7 per) and 2 TDs against the Packers. He then had 15 carries for 46 rushing yards (3.1 per) and 1 TD against the Patriots. That was coming off his 14 carries for 38 rushing yards game against the Titans (2.7 per) and 1 TD game.

He's still managing to score rushing Touchdowns even when he's not playing well but a RB of his caliber should have been gashing those teams for over 100 yards rushing and at least 4 yards per carry if not more. Especially the Packers which were devastated by key injuries in that game. I really felt he was primed for a 25-carry, 220-yard and 3 TD game going into the Packers game and boy was I way off. He only had the worst game of his career in that one.

I don't think it's the blocking either. The holes are still there he's just not hitting them fast enough. Put Adrian Peterson behind our current offensive line and he'd be beasting his way towards the league MVP award on the AFC's best-record team. He's not going to win it in Minnesota unless they make the playoffs which is doubtful considering two of their final three games are against the Texans and Packers.

I believe talent wise, Arian Foster is just as good as Adrian Peterson even though he hasn't played like it all season long. With the exception of scoring more Touchdowns of course.
Old 12-14-2012   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post

I don't think it's the blocking either.
I don't think it's all on the OL but the holes really haven't been there, especially on the goal line, I can think of 2 times inside the 5 that I think we can credit the OL for a Foster TD. Other than that, it's been all Foster & it shouldn't be so lopsided.
Old 12-14-2012   #51
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the reasons I dislike the ZBS is that when teams stop it, it's completely dead. Its a gimmick. I wish we could shift to a more power run style, but I know that wont happen.
Old 12-14-2012   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
One of the reasons I dislike the ZBS is that when teams stop it, it's completely dead. Its a gimmick. I wish we could shift to a more power run style, but I know that wont happen.
When the other team stops it, that means someone didn't do their job right & the play-calling is too predictable. When I say play-calling is too predictable, though Kubiak is the main play caller, remember Matt can change the play at the line. If he sees a favorable match-up to the right but decides to go to the left as the play was called, you can't blame that on the coach.

The ZBS is about options. There are a dozen different options on every play. We're talking about how they handle the blocking up front, where the doubles will be, who will go to the second level & when, how the full back reads & attacks the gaps, and of course how the running back reads the blocks & which one he's going to take. He should always have an outside, inside, & a cutback option. There is literally no way it can fail if the team is on the same page & the QB takes advantage of what he sees at the line.
Old 12-14-2012   #53
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we've got more problems on the line than we've grown accustomed to over the past few years, but i cant put it all or even most on the line ... they have no trouble opening lanes for tate and forsett. foster isnt seeing the holes he used to and is going down on first contact (or no contact) any time he touches the ball. it's been going on all season, foster's been pedestrian, but the sheer volume of carries and goalline touches make his numbers look a lot better than his play actually is.

and before we start again with the short yardage touches killing his stats, between the 20's foster is averaging 3.98ypc. a full yard shorter than his past two seasons.
Old 12-14-2012   #54
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
When the other team stops it, that means someone didn't do their job right & the play-calling is too predictable. When I say play-calling is too predictable, though Kubiak is the main play caller, remember Matt can change the play at the line.
Matt cannot change every play. There are certain situations where he can check to another play based on something that has been predetermined by the coaching staff.

Matt cannot walk up to the line, see a 'favorable match up' and audible to whatever the heck he wants to. When they are preparing for the games during the week they go over different looks and Kubiak says, if we get this look we're going to audible to this play. It's Matt's job to recognize when they get those favorable looks when they are in the right formation to exectue. He can also make an opposite call to run the play the other direction.

Kubiak and Matt have talked about this a few times.

And I agree that when someone stops it that means that someone(s) didn't do their job right...

This offense is no more of a gimmick than any other scheme.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #55
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm too old to post when nobody gets my Franco Harris reference.
Oh, I think a *few*of us caught it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Matt cannot change every play. There are certain situations where he can check to another play based on something that has been predetermined by the coaching staff.
Never said that & that's irrelevant to this discussion.
Quote:
He can also make an opposite call to run the play the other direction.
Exactly. If the line is too stacked to the left & we run left, I think that is on Matt, not Kubiak or the ZBS.
Quote:
And I agree that when someone stops it that means that someone(s) didn't do their job right...

This offense is no more of a gimmick than any other scheme.
Old 12-14-2012   #57
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

He's too patient at times waiting for blocks to set up & looking for the cutback too much. This gives defenders time to get into position to locate him behind the LOS & it gives defenders time to run him down from the backside...even after the TE's & RT have thrown their cut block. that's what i've been seeing alot of anyway. This combined with him being run into the ground I think is starting to show up.

The reason Forsett & Tate look so much more explosive is in part b/c they are fresher, but also b/c both guys get in & hit even the smallest seams & just take whatever they get. Foster seems to want to rip off the big run every time. Sometimes, you just need to get in there & push the pile a little so as to wear the defense down & get them tired.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #58
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 22174 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Oh, I think a *few*of us caught it.
Count me in. I have observed and Franco did come to mind, but given my team's overall performance, felt I wasn't in a position to comment.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #59
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 11446 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
He's too patient at times waiting for blocks to set up & looking for the cutback too much. This gives defenders time to get into position to locate him behind the LOS & it gives defenders time to run him down from the backside...even after the TE's & RT have thrown their cut block. that's what i've been seeing alot of anyway. This combined with him being run into the ground I think is starting to show up.

The reason Forsett & Tate look so much more explosive is in part b/c they are fresher, but also b/c both guys get in & hit even the smallest seams & just take whatever they get. Foster seems to want to rip off the big run every time. Sometimes, you just need to get in there & push the pile a little so as to wear the defense down & get them tired.
You realized you just plagarized my last post? Well at least you see as I do as it seems we the only that recognize Foster patient running style in a mess up O line is hampering his game when Tate & Forset are getting better results because they turning up the field faster instead of waiting for holes to develop.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #60
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
You realized you just plagarized my last post? Well at least you see as I do as it seems we the only that recognize Foster patient running style in a mess up O line is hampering his game when Tate & Forset are getting better results because they turning up the field faster instead of waiting for holes to develop.
Lol, i didn't read the thread, just the thread title and came in & posted my thoughts. But i went back & read yours & its funny b/c it damn near is plagerism!

One thing i think this highlights though is how much this offense & the running game miss Tate & his running style. He and Foster's style contrast so much that defenses have trouble making the adjustment of defending a slower patient runner in foster to a faster explosive runner in Tate from series to series. Both guys however are a load to bring down & eventually the 1-2 punch wears the defense down.

Forsett's a good change of pace guy, but he doesn't pack the punch that Tate does. I think the return of Tate could rejuvenate Foster & the running game......& thereby the offense.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read