Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2012   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did you know.....

That our secondary has given up 24 passing TD's, and only 6 teams have given up more ???? I didnt realize it was THAT bad, problably Rogers and Brady's doing making it seem that bad minus Rogers 6 and bradys 4 it is only 14. SO all in all our secondary is good against mediocra QBs and one of the worst in the league against Elite guys. ***I also blame some of this on our lack of pass ru*****************

Just thought it was interesting.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...arrive/#8862-3

Last edited by EllisUnit; 12-12-2012 at 08:26 PM.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #2
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did you know.....

Look I am no football expert, but can anyone tell me why the secondary has been so bad this year. I mean its not like we don't have talent back there. Joseph and Jackson are solid starters and Manning/Quin are a solid safety tandem. Is it injuries or lack of pass rush because I just don't think they're that bad.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
Look I am no football expert, but can anyone tell me why the secondary has been so bad this year. I mean its not like we don't have talent back there. Joseph and Jackson are solid starters and Manning/Quin are a solid safety tandem. Is it injuries or lack of pass rush because I just don't think they're that bad.
I would have to say lack of pass rush, look at last season when we were killing QBs compared to this season.
Old 12-12-2012   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Brady Henne and Stafford are probably at least half of that. It's a recent problem
Old 12-12-2012   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
That our secondary has given up 24 passing TD's, and only 6 teams have given up more ???? I didnt realize it was THAT bad, problably Rogers and Brady's doing making it seem that bad minus Rogers 6 and bradys 4 it is only 14. SO all in all our secondary is good against mediocra QBs and one of the worst in the league against Elite guys. ***I also blame some of this on our lack of pass ru*****************

Just thought it was interesting.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...arrive/#8862-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
Quote:
I would have to say lack of pass rush, look at last season when we were killing QBs compared to this season.
At EU: Our secondary has sucked this year aka Groin / Hammy injury to Jonathon Joseph. Our run "D" and well pass "D" has suffered with the loss of Cushing, which lends itself to the secondary..

At the end of the day, it's not really that interesting.

We're short-handed on defense.. "Son of Bum" needs to figure it out with the personnel available...

That's the crux of this season...
Old 12-12-2012   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

They're not getting consistent pressure on the QB with a four man rush, so they have to blitz to get to him. That leaves them in man coverage and if the blitz still gives the QB time to read the defense, he's going to find an open man. Better QB's like Brady and Rodgers will find that opening faster, but eventually if you don't get there, man coverage is going be exploited.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
At EU: Our secondary has sucked this year aka Groin / Hammy injury to Jonathon Joseph. Our run "D" and well pass "D" has suffered with the loss of Cushing, which lends itself to the secondary..

At the end of the day, it's not really that interesting.

We're short-handed on defense.. "Son of Bum" needs to figure it out with the personnel available...

That's the crux of this season...
Look at the rank of our D, thats why i find it interesting.
Old 12-12-2012   #8
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

we have also given up minimal in rushing TDs. im not sure of the numbers but it must be pretty low. it balances out. points against we are in the bottom 5 so i dont think its a massive problem. however, that being said i think we need to bring in a couple of DBs in the offseason to improve the position.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Our secondary has sucked due to absolutely no edge pass rush. Handle JJ and Smith and ya got it made. Barwin and Reed/ Merci just ain't getting it done. Phillips being slow to change, if at all, has something to do with it.

I can't put even most of the blame on the secondary. The front seven haven't been getting it done all year. 1 of them has but the other 6 simply hasn't, on a consistent basis.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #10
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Our secondary has sucked due to absolutely no edge pass rush. Handle JJ and Smith and ya got it made. Barwin and Reed/ Merci just ain't getting it done. Phillips being slow to change, if at all, has something to do with it.

I can't put even most of the blame on the secondary. The front seven haven't been getting it done all year. 1 of them has but the other 6 simply hasn't, on a consistent basis.
Merci has more sacks then Barwin and Reed combined and is the only factor we've had all season coming off the edge.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Merci has more sacks then Barwin and Reed combined and is the only factor we've had all season coming off the edge.
damn good thing Texans drafted him then.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And our star interior DLOman has more than all of them combined, by a comfortable margin. Your argument is weak, at best.
Old 12-13-2012   #13
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And our star interior DLOman has more than all of them combined, by a comfortable margin. Your argument is weak, at best.
What argument? Your complaining about a part time pass rusher who has started 2 games and has more sacks then all the other OLB combined?

The pass rush has been terrible on the outside all season. Merci is the lone bright spot at OLB this year.
Old 12-13-2012   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What argument? Your complaining about a part time pass rusher who has started 2 games and has more sacks then all the other OLB combined?

The pass rush has been terrible on the outside all season. Merci is the lone bright spot at OLB this year.
I'm complaining about all 3 of them and Merci has certainly notbeen a bright a spot. You're wearing Texans beer goggles if you think so.
Old 12-13-2012   #15
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
I'm complaining about all 3 of them and Merci has certainly notbeen a bright a spot. You're wearing Texans beer goggles if you think so.
He's 2nd among rookies in sacks and 3rd in forced fumbles. And he's barely been on the field other then the last 3 games. You want to ***** about Barwin or Reed thats fine. They have done nothing and play a ton more snaps.
Old 12-13-2012   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nail meet head. If you are going to play man coverage 99.8% of the time you BETTER have a damn good pass rush.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
They're not getting consistent pressure on the QB with a four man rush, so they have to blitz to get to him. That leaves them in man coverage and if the blitz still gives the QB time to read the defense, he's going to find an open man. Better QB's like Brady and Rodgers will find that opening faster, but eventually if you don't get there, man coverage is going be exploited.
I hear this a lot. I remember a time when we were so upset that we were never in man coverage, that we used too much zone. Now, being in man coverage is a bad thing... I guess because the announcer say so much on TV, people just start repeating it.

Prior to the start of the season we questioned if our defense would improve considering Wade's sophomore curse. Some opined, that our defense might actually improve but suffer in the stat column, because we're playing better offenses..... New England, Detroit, & Denver are top 3 of the top 4 offenses in the league.

So some of it was to be expected.

76 threw some numbers out there showing our Pass Rush isn't as bad as we think. I find that hard to believe, my eyes, & my gut tell me different. But, these QBs are doing a better job of getting the ball out. These receivers are doing a better job of getting open early & I don't know that the teams playing zone are doing any better against them (3 of the top 4 offenses).

But I think the numbers & the perception is starting to snowball. The way our safeties played Monday night was more akin to the 2010 ole' defense than last year's defense. They didn't appear to help out on any pass play.
Old 12-13-2012   #18
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Few factors probably. For one, Wade's system is overly dependant on the pass rush. If you aren't getting there then there are going to be some issues. Our pass rush has lacked consistency more than anything. We may get some hurries but since the pressure is mainly coming from direction it isn't difficult for the QB to avoid it. After all, if Watt is coming at you but no one else is you could slide in the pocket, step up or roll to the other side. Need more from others and that is mainly speaking of edge rushers who have the speed to make a difference.

Currently Texans are:

Tied for 4th in sacks, 8th in QB Hits and 16th in Hurries.

Other issue is health of Joseph. Hamstrings linger and his has been doing so for some time. He was capable of completely locking one side of the field last year. Not so much this season. It made certain blitz packages more available. McCain dropped considerably. He has been basically awful this year. Put it like this...McCain is allowing a 95.6 rating against him. Last year? 47.2...so yeah HUGE drop on him.

Add those factors and you have issues especially when they spread us out. It's not just about running man. It's how we play it. We're in man and giving these cushions that shouldn't be. No press. Even see at times we get in their face and never touch them allowing them off the line with ease expecting our DB to run step for step with a receiver. Only the best DB's can do this from such a position.

Seeing our pass rush is inconsistent it would be better to have a mixture of man and zone and mingle it up. Disguise the defense better because elite QB's are that for a reason. They can read defenses rather well. Heck, that may go for vets too as Henne was reading, adjusting and making audibles against us because even he could read the defense.

Last edited by deucetx; 12-13-2012 at 04:38 PM.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Nail meet head. If you are going to play man coverage 99.8% of the time you BETTER have a damn good pass rush.
LOL, I thought you called him a meat-head for some unexplained reason.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I may have beat this to death already, but I really feel like, in the Pats game at least, TEs and guys outta the backfield were getting wide open very quickly because safeties and extra DBs were just mentally STUCK on the tailback.

It's just one game. I don't remember seeing that before.

I do know J.Jo.' s health, like y'all said, has been a part of the problem overall.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read