Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Is that smoke I smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Homefield advantage is great and all, but it doesn't cover the fact that injuries have weakened this defense to the point of being ineffective against superior QBs.
So what should we do?
Old 12-11-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Exactly. People seem to forget that Rogers put a clinic on in Houston. Brady is still Brady outside of Mass
I don't know that anyone is forgetting. That was our first game without Cushing. Since then I don't think we've started the same 11 guys on defense for more than 2 games in a row.

I'm not forgetting anyway. I just think if we ever get our starter positions figured out, we'll be ready for the play-offs. This was Brandon Harris' second week. Merci's third week as starter. Joseph's first week back.

We're not going to see an elite QB (that hasn't thrown 18 INTs).

Our pass rush will show up against Indy. Here & in Indy.

Will they be ready at the end of the Indy game? I doubt it. But they'll have 2 weeks of practice to get ready for whichever elite QB makes it.
Old 12-11-2012   #23
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

This game could have got a lot uglier. Belichick is known to leave his foot on the pedal. Once he realized Houston offense didn't try to make a comeback he let his foot off. I can see Pats putting up 52 pts easily.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #24
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we the best team in the NFL right now? No.

Are we "one of the best teams" in the NFL right now? Yes.

Doesn't mean we are good enough to win the Super Bowl, or even get there, but we are a hell of a lot better team than we were just two years ago. I'm not ready to go back into "fire Kubiak" mode just yet, and I'm not happy with how we played last night. But, it was the 3rd road game in a row so I'm gonna give them a break.

Let's see how they react to last nights loss this coming Sunday at home against Indy. That will tell us a lot.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Doesn't mean we are good enough to win the Super Bowl, or even get there, but we are a hell of a lot better team than we were just two years ago. I'm not ready to go back into "fire Kubiak" mode just yet, and I'm not happy with how we played last night. But, it was the 3rd road game in a row so I'm gonna give them a break.

Let's see how they react to last nights loss this coming Sunday at home against Indy. That will tell us a lot.
Right now there are only two hot teams in the entire NFL.
The Pats and the Broncos.

Before the game, you can't even tell that the Pats fans were confident that they would win the game.

I visit the Broncos board and people there basically thought the same thing.
They figure the Broncos are fighting for the #2 seed, maybe even the third seed.

It's not just Texans fans that don't feel all that cheesy about their own team.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Right now there are only two hot teams in the entire NFL.
The Pats and the Broncos.

Before the game, you can't even tell that the Pats fans were confident that they would win the game.

I visit the Broncos board and people there basically thought the same thing.
They figure the Broncos are fighting for the #2 seed, maybe even the third seed.

It's not just Texans fans that don't feel all that cheesy about their own team.
I see no reason why the Texans can't win out the last three games and have home field advantage in the playoffs. Getting past Denver and/or New England in the playoffs is a different story. The defense better damn well show up those games if we plan on doing anything in the playoffs.

Old 12-11-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see no reason why the Texans can't win out the last three games and have home field advantage in the playoffs. Getting past Denver and/or New England in the playoffs is a different story. The defense better damn well show up those games if we plan on doing anything in the playoffs.
The play-off is a whole new season.

Hopefully by then, we'll have more healthy guys:

Newton, Graham, JJo. Etc.

Routt should be well acclimated with the D and our young guys will have more experience under their bell: Jones, Brook, Harris, KMart, Jean, etc.

Our team will be better, knock on wood.
Old 12-11-2012   #28
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thank you grumpy old man for you insight and wisdom. Yes, it was ugly but I think we can come back and win out.

Signed

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Please tell me you're not giving the offense a pass.
Old 12-11-2012   #30
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
But those things did happen. We made/didn't make the plays needed. You just pointed out three big plays...

1) three big plays is a lot.

2) even if you change those three plays we could still EASILY lose that game.

And that's whats even more disheartening.

Texans can absolutely win in the play offs, but if anyone is confident that they will win the only thing that can be based on is just a good feeling...hope...prayers...

I've yet to see any real reason to think we'd all of a sudden start to play at that level other than any given Sunday...which is code for I wish...
He started he couldn't see a way we could really ever beat the Pats. I gave a single phase that by itself could have made a huge difference DESPITE the offensive and defensive woes. When the Texans and Patriots went in at the half, the stats were nearly identical for yards. A rematch in Reliant wouldn't be a gimme by any means.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-12-2012   #31
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Please tell me you're not giving the offense a pass.
I not giving anyone a pass, a complete team effort will be required. For now, I'm just going to stay in a holding pattern until I see what happens at the Indy game this weekend.

After that game I may put back on my "Fire Kubiak" hat, or my homer hat, or anything in between. I've been fighting a cold for a week and a half now, and I don't have the energy to be either a homer or a pain in the ass right now. LOL

Old 12-12-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I've been fighting a cold for a week and a half now, and I don't have the energy to be either a homer or a pain in the ass right now. LOL
Get well soon, we could use another hornery old fart around here.

Old 12-12-2012   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
So what should we do?
Play the games!!

Just understand that they will be underdogs, even with homefield advantage. Until they can prove to the world that they can rise up and beat someone like Brady in a playoff situation, there will be lingering doubts.

Any given Sunday and all that jazz. The Patriots are a great team, but not invincible. Our players could learn from last Monday (they should), and we could make some plays, get some lucky breaks, and anything can happen.

Plus, based on how rabid Texans fans were at last year's playoff game, there is certainly going to be a hostile atmosphere for any opposing team. That disrupts their timing and fires up our players. Anything is possible even when improbable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
This game could have got a lot uglier. Belichick is known to leave his foot on the pedal. Once he realized Houston offense didn't try to make a comeback he let his foot off. I can see Pats putting up 52 pts easily.
I thought the same thing. When Belichick does not like an opposing coach or team, he shows no mercy. But on Monday, I felt like the Pats knew the game was in the bag and the Texans were rolling over, so he did not have any incentive to run up the score. It looked to me that the NE offense went into a clock eating mode about halfway through the game. But I have no doubt that they would have taken a bigger lead if the Texans started scoring to make a push for a comeback.
Old 12-12-2012   #34
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Wow! Where have you people been? I'm fairly new to this forum and is a huge Texans fan. So far before this game most of my posts were about the weakness of our D, Schaub unproven and overrated status, Kubiak inept play-calling, and how some of these issues will cost us games against good teams.
And all the replies to my post are something in the line of "Who cares! We won the game. Everything will be alright. You looking this game the wrong way."

For awhile I thought I was in one of those Twilight Zone episode where that guy on the plane saw a monster tearing up the wings engine and no one believes him when he tells about it.
I guess the only good thing about this lost is now I know I'm not completely delusional.
Naw man there is always that segment that thinks they are football know-it-all types and that by some quasi-hyperanalysis of some unseen aspect of the game and/or just pointing out some overall record like "we're still 11-2" that they are right and everyone else is wrong. I like it though cause it's funny.

Football is still a game, not astro-physics where you can't just trust your eyes sometimes. Sometimes you can in fact, trust what you are seeing on the field and what we were seeing on the field for a few games now was a porous defense giving up mammoth yards, Schaub being shaky and poor play calling (very predictable) at times.

I still think that with home field we have a shot but I temper that with how badly the Pack burned us at home. Right now we have to just wait and see.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Play the games!!

Just understand that they will be underdogs, even with homefield advantage. Until they can prove to the world that they can rise up and beat someone like Brady in a playoff situation, there will be lingering doubts.

Any given Sunday and all that jazz. The Patriots are a great team, but not invincible. Our players could learn from last Monday (they should), and we could make some plays, get some lucky breaks, and anything can happen.

Plus, based on how rabid Texans fans were at last year's playoff game, there is certainly going to be a hostile atmosphere for any opposing team. That disrupts their timing and fires up our players. Anything is possible even when improbable.

I thought the same thing. When Belichick does not like an opposing coach or team, he shows no mercy. But on Monday, I felt like the Pats knew the game was in the bag and the Texans were rolling over, so he did not have any incentive to run up the score. It looked to me that the NE offense went into a clock eating mode about halfway through the game. But I have no doubt that they would have taken a bigger lead if the Texans started scoring to make a push for a comeback.
Or the Pats can start to feel the heat.
We could have made it 28-14 and then the D put on another stop, which they did.

The call goes our way, or we take advantage of a lucky bounce instead of letting it get away.

We could score another TD and it's anybody's game.

What if they didn't recover the ball in the endzone for the TD, and the ball bounced out of the endzone?
That would have resulted in a touch back and turned the ball over to us.

You need some luck in this game sometimes.
The ball bounced their way, and not ours.
Old 12-12-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Naw man there is always that segment that thinks they are football know-it-all types and that by some quasi-hyperanalysis of some unseen aspect of the game and/or just pointing out some overall record like "we're still 11-2" that they are right and everyone else is wrong. I like it though cause it's funny.

Football is still a game, not astro-physics where you can't just trust your eyes sometimes. Sometimes you can in fact, trust what you are seeing on the field and what we were seeing on the field for a few games now was a porous defense giving up mammoth yards, Schaub being shaky and poor play calling (very predictable) at times.

I still think that with home field we have a shot but I temper that with how badly the Pack burned us at home. Right now we have to just wait and see.
I don't think the "We're still 11-2" talk was about ignoring obvious problems. I think it was about knowing we're hurt & have been for a while, but managing to get healthy at a later date.

Like I said, these aren't excuses, because we were still winning. We're on our third string RT, we had two tightends on the roster in a three TE offense, we're starting a rookie at RG because the starter (pro bowler ) is injured.

So yeah, we're going to have trouble running the ball. Newton should be coming back this week, the guy who won the job. Ben Jones has been getting better all year (still not Vince Willfork 1 on 1 material), Graham should be back this week. Our running game will get better.

We haven't started the same two ILBs since Cushing went out in week since week 5. Jjo has been hurt all year. We're starting a guy at the nickel who hasn't seen real football playing time/speed in 3 years. Yeah, our pass defense is going to give up some yards & some touchdowns.

But Jjo is going to get better, he has to. Brandon Harris is balling, making dumb rookie mistakes, but he's all that, he's going to get better. & if one of the two don't happen, Stanford Routt is the best insurance we could have gotten. So we're going to get that figured out.

The outside pass rush has been an issue, Brooks Reed's injury has allowed us to move Barwin to the strong side & get Merci in play-off shape. Get Brooks back into that rotation & there is reason to believe that will get better.

Yet through all of that, that no good HC of ours manage to beat-up on weak teams, beat two AFC Division champs, and lead us to an 11-2 season (to this point).

17 weeks is a long time in the NFL. Many teams are not as good as they were when they started the Season. Some teams are better. We're one of the former, however, we've got time to get it back on track.

Denver, Green Bay, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, & New England were the games most people identified as possible losses. The Jets were another team many people didn't think we were going to beat. We are 5-2 against those teams.

Yeah we're hurt, yeah our defense isn't playing good right now, but we're 11-2 with 4 maybe 5 weeks to get it together.

We might not have the best HC, but we've got one of the best OCs in the entire league. We've got one of the best DCs in the entire league. I have no doubt they'll be ready when the real season starts.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read