Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2012   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Reasons the Texans will repeat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, to go back to your original statistic, (1 of 21...),

1998 St. Louis Rams 4-12
1999 St. Louis Rams 13-3
2000 St. Louis Rams 10-6

2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 6-10
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 15-1
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 11-5

I don't know if this means your statistic is innaccurate, or just kind of meaningless.
Actually, I think they said since 2002. 21 teams since 2002...

that's a lot of teams since 2002 for only one to follow up with 10+ win season.

By the way, all stats are meaningless. Just a point for discussion.
Old 01-23-2012   #42
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

There are so many factors that go into a playoff season, that almost all stats to predict the playoffs are questionable.

If Big Ben and Schaub were healthy, the AFC title game would have looked a lot different.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #43
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111674 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I forgot to mention it Mike.
On the way home from the Bengals game, I heard you calling into one of the radio stations.
Your voice was already so hoarse, they thought you were "sentimental" because of the win.

I thought that was funny as hell, LOL!
LOL. The guy sent me the audio.
He got my name wrong though. Its Texanmike not texansmike but my throat was so sore I wasn't going to argue.
Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #44
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111674 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Another little tidbit..... The Atlanta Falcons were established in 1966. They didn't have their fist back to back winning season until the 2008-2009 seasons.

Maybe we learned how to win... maybe we've become a winning franchise.....

maybe not.
The Falcons were never as balanced as we are on both sides of the ball.

Another thing to think about. You will see a lot of times that teams will have 3 or 4 guys have "career" years. That's not the case with the Texans. I don't look at anyone (that was actually healthy) and think "man, they can't repeat that performance".

I just don't think we're built like that.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #45
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Can our offense withetand a defensive regression back to the mean?
Old 01-27-2012   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post

Fast-forward to now... The Jets aren't going anywhere with that lockerroom, they think offense is offensive and didn't make the playoffs... The Chiefs axed the HC that took 'em to the playoff mid-season because the team sucked, the Bucs went from 10-Six to sucky quick and axed their HC as well, and AZ was terrible... All of those teams i was so envious of are in bad spots just one year later, while i can look at the Texans and honestly say things should be real good for a while, not just a year or even two...

Maybe there IS something to that whole patience thing, and not going for the quick, short-lived success... The jury is still out in SF...
I thought this belonged in this coversation. If not this post, surely my reply.

I think if we look at each of the teams you mentioned, maybe we can see how our team looks in contrast.

The NYJets. That team had it all. Great defense. Good enough offense. This past offseason, they added some great talent through FA. Did those FA kill the locker room or did they not have a locker room to begin with?

That team looked just like this years Ravens in years past. Just like this years Texans...... with Tj Yates.

There is no doubt in my mind that Kubiak has this locker room, so I don't believe we'll suffer the same fate as NYJets....

The Chiefs... I think it's obvious their problem was depth. I personally would not have fired the coach. Get Jamal Charles back, maybe add a couple of guards in the offseason, Cassell & the offense could do their job & keep the defense off the field... allowing them to do what they do.

While I'd love to say, "the Texans are the most balanced team" blah, blah, blah..... I don't know that I trust it. One year it's the running game, then it's injuries to the QB, then it's a historically bad secondary (which is now #3 on the all-time worse list thanks to this years Packers & Patriots), then it's the pass rush.....

What's it going to be next year?

But we've got depth.... we trust Rick Smith now right?

Tampa Bay.... while they won 10 games in 2010, I watched a few of their games & it didn't look like they were playing good football.. in any phase. Things were just happening. I wasn't impressed with Freeman, not impressed with Blount..... not much on that team looked impressive. They just played some bad teams. Well, Talib is impressive.

We've got real playmakers, & we're playing very solid football. We beat some bad teams, but we dominated them. We also played well against some good teams.
Old 01-31-2012   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-cbe7d37b3de2

All signs point to an even better Texans defense in 2012

By Nick Scurfield
Posted Jan 24, 2012

Every one of the Texans’ end-of-season defensive starters is under contract for next season. The average age of those players is 27.

“We should be able to hold the group together,” head coach Gary Kubiak said a day after the Texans’ season ended at Baltimore on Jan. 15. “They should only get better under Wade’s scheme and the coaches as we move forward. We get an offseason with them. It’s exciting across the board, and probably the biggest thing is the young influence that’s been on our football team.”

“Obviously, Mario is a tremendous player,” Kubiak said. “He’s done a great job here. Those things will work themselves out. I know Mario wants to be with this organization and this football team. That’s part of the process. We’ll get going with the process, but Mario has always worked extremely hard and been a very positive influence with this organization and this team.”

Phillips installed his playbook in gradual, simple phases, even as the season progressed. In the week before the Texans’ Division Round playoff game at Baltimore, Phillips said the Texans probably had about 30 percent more of their playbook down than when they had faced the Ravens in Week 6. It’s unclear if the entirety of Phillips’ scheme was ever even implemented this season.

“I was still learning a lot as we were going on, just with little wrinkles here and there, and I’m sure a lot of other guys were as well – and we still were playing lights out,” Pro Bowl cornerback Johnathan Joseph said after the season. “So if we can get a full offseason in together and understand everything more collectively as a defense, I think it’ll be just be even better for us.”

Joseph said 90-95 percent of the defensive players plan to stay in Houston and train together for the bulk of the offseason. Players decided that in the locker room at M&T Bank Stadium after their playoff loss at Baltimore at the urging of Smith, Ryans and other veteran leaders.

“I think that speaks tremendous volumes about the guys, because you can have a full offseason and do anything you want to do,” Joseph said. “Everybody wants to push each other, stay here together this offseason, learn from it. We can only get better. It’s a big family here, so guys don’t want to take off the offseason and do their own thing. We kind of want to stay here together, bond and just move forward.”

“They’re relentless,” Texans quarterback Matt Schaub said. “Our guys up front, they create a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks. On the run game, we’re physical. Those guys inside played outstanding stuffing other teams’ run games, so they force them to throw. Then our cover guys, the guys we brought in, Johnathan Joseph, Manning coming in, Kareem (Jackson) played really well this year, GQ (Quin) going to safety and what he did for us.

"We just had every piece of the puzzle working in concert, and the pressures that we would bring on third down, it just makes life miserable on opposing offenses.”

All signs point to plenty more misery for opposing offenses in 2012.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Joseph said 90-95 percent of the defensive players plan to stay in Houston and train together for the bulk of the offseason. Players decided that in the locker room at M&T Bank Stadium after their playoff loss at Baltimore at the urging of Smith, Ryans and other veteran leaders.

“I think that speaks tremendous volumes about the guys, because you can have a full offseason and do anything you want to do,” Joseph said. “Everybody wants to push each other, stay here together this offseason, learn from it. We can only get better. It’s a big family here, so guys don’t want to take off the offseason and do their own thing. We kind of want to stay here together, bond and just move forward.”

Still playing Devil's advocate..... but what if they peak too early? What if they burn out too soon?
Old 01-31-2012   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Still playing Devil's advocate..... but what if they peak too early? What if they burn out too soon?
Unlikely, IMO.

It's a young group that hasn't really won anything.
If anything, they should be more hungry... a good recipe for success, wouldn't you say?
Old 02-02-2012   #50
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1 & 0. Every week. We'll all really enjoy next season. Hide-N-Watch.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #51
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The schedule only seemed easy because the Texans were better than most of the teams.

I'm not saying that next year won't have it's challenges but it only seems like they're playing a bunch of chumps because.....they are.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #52
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Its simple. How many other teams accomplish what we did this year despite what we lost.... even with the "easy" schedule?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Not trying to be Debbie Downer or anything, you guys have made some excellent posts.

However, in addition to that stat I heard on the radio, only 1 of 21 teams that went 10-6 or better after finishing 6-10 the previous season matched or bettered the 10 win performance the following year, there is also a bit of an elephant or 300lb gorilla, if you will, sitting in the middle of the room.

Remember the end of the 2004 season, the optimism we shared about this team ?

Remember the end of the 2009 season, the optimism we shared about this team ?

2004 we finish 7-9, 2005 2-14.

2009 we finished 9-7, 2011 6-10.

2011 we finished 10-6, 2012 ??
What a maroon. Dude's just looking for something to complain about.

Kudos to all you who predicted a better W-L record in 2012.
Old 12-12-2012   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
What a maroon. Dude's just looking for something to complain about.

Kudos to all you who predicted a better W-L record in 2012.
Agree. What a maroon
Old 12-12-2012   #55
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
It took us playing in Baltimore without our starting QB to knock us out of the playoffs by 3 points.

It took 3 Ints. by Yates and a fumbled punt to keep them ahead of us.

Their offense could hardly score without said turnovers.

Foster put up 150+ against them, and it could have been more if we hadn't been playing from behind....because of turnovers.

This off-season, we prepare for a possible Superbowl.
Lucky guess, punk.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #56
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree. What a maroon
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read