Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-11-2012   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Day After Foxborough Massacre - 2013 Mock

Obviously the more serious offence hurts Mathieu at least four rounds maybe five, doesn't seem that long ago he was in running for the Heismen award as outstanding (defensive) player in country. Will search for his background clip they ran on him to see if they're any indications something is off. Who back then saw this coming? Now one year later he is just going to throw it all away? I just can't believe that & I know teams will investigate with background checks, interview process whole nine yards. I'm hoping a change of scenery does him wonders, a special player I love to watch play, first round talent, that if he can get his act together can knock it out of parks just like Janoris Jenkins is doing for the Rams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwkpz1_6nU

When Texans forced New England to fumble on the goal line & Kareem Jackson tried to scoop it up, mis-handled it, then ball went back to Patriots was a key momentum swing & mood shifter for me. Now if that was Tyrann Mathieu what are the odds that he would not only pick it up but take it all the way back for a Texan score? Kipper & McShay think he will go in the 3rd/4th rd. My feeling is he would have to drop two more rounds for the Texans to consider him so he would be an extreme long shot to even be on the board this late in the 5th

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 12-12-2012 at 03:02 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #22
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

As an LSU alum I'd love nothing more than to see the Honeybadger in Texans' colors but he definitely has some character issues, merely perceived or otherwise, that the front office tends to avoid.

EDIT: While I'm at it ('it' being fellating my school :P), I'm surprised that I don't see Kevin Minter talked about more.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #23
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Jenkins was an early-mid round 1st, not late round. Also, if this is in response to the massacre in Boston, ONE pick on a troubled CB isn't going to cut it.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I thought Jenkins was an early-mid round 1st, not late round. Also, if this is in response to the massacre in Boston, ONE pick on a troubled CB isn't going to cut it.
Jenkins was there for the Rams early in the 2nd. He had to transfer from Florida to North Alabama choosing to play & showcase his football talent unlike Tyrann Mathieu who re-entered LSU as student non athlete sitting out of football one year. Both decisions don't change player on the field. How much an organization is willing to support a player with questionable character is another.

I threw Tyrann Mathieu into the mock because one: he is insane value this late (I fully expect another team to select him somewhere in the 3rd rd.). two: I agree that CB is a bigger need than most think & have mocked one in the first round a couple weeks ago (Xavier Rhodes). three we needed to have this discussion about Tyrann Mathieu, the kind of player Texans need but also the type of player Texans avoid. four: if Texans pass chances are another team, possibly in the same division, does not so have a great game day when Texans face that team over the next several years

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-12-2012   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the DL needs beefing up for sure . I think this is the year of the huge NG because there's like 6 of them who are above 330 lbs . The question to me is can you get one in the 2nd rd ?

The OL needs some help and maybe a bit more seasoning would solve this issue . The big question here is what happens if they outlaw the chop block ?

Our secondary is looking average at best . Is this the chicken or the egg meaning what happened to the pass rush .

We still need help at reciever and a big TE for sure .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Love Chricton but he is only a Sophomore. When he does come out could get a 1st rd. Grade?
2010 red shirt, should be eligible IF he comes out.
http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-f...n_scott00.html
Old 12-12-2012   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jenkins was there for the Rams early in the 2nd. He had to transfer from Florida to North Alabama choosing to play & showcase his football talent unlike Tyrann Mathieu who re-entered LSU as student non athlete sitting out of football one year. Both decisions don't change player on the field. How much an organization is willing to support a player with questionable character is another.

I threw Tyrann Mathieu into the mock because one: he is insane value this late (I fully expect another team to select him somewhere in the 3rd rd.). two: I agree that CB is a bigger need than most think & have mocked one in the first round a couple weeks ago (Xavier Rhodes). three we needed to have this discussion about Tyrann Mathieu, the kind of player Texans need but also the type of player Texans avoid. four: if Texans pass chances are another team, possibly in the same division, does not so have a great game day when Texans face that team over the next several years
I'm hoping that the Texans pick Mathieu with the supp pick in the 3rd rd. He would be a massive upgrade over McCain and Harris. As well as an upgrade in the KR/PR spots. But this will never happen with BoB/Rick/Gary running the ship. I could see the Pats or Redskins picking Mathieu in the 3-4th rd range though.

BTW, I really like this mock. Although I have WR rated higher as a need and value in this draft and I dont know anything about Vernon.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
As an LSU alum I'd love nothing more than to see the Honeybadger in Texans' colors but he definitely has some character issues, merely perceived or otherwise, that the front office tends to avoid.

EDIT: While I'm at it ('it' being fellating my school :P), I'm surprised that I don't see Kevin Minter talked about more.
I had Minter 2nd round early mock and 3 Amigos discussed him but for me he sort of disappeared when I watched game. Tackles but doesn't get to QB
Old 12-12-2012   #29
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I meant John Jenkins, the guy you mocked 1st round to the Texans. Also, my point about CBs was necessarily geared against Mathieu...more that one pick (on a troubled guy no less) for the secondary isn't going to turn the tide to hold up against the Brady's, Brees's, Manning's and Rodger's of the world.

My response mock/Dec. Re-do

1- David Amerson, CB, NC State

Excellent size and ballhawking skill.

2- TJ McDonald, FS, USC

Productive college career, NFL bloodlines.

3a- Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas

Large and mobile blocker that should force the issue on either side of Myers.

3b- Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern St

Space eating run plugger this D desperately needs.

4- Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon

LBer with some pass coverage skills.

5- Manase Foketi, OT, ???

Big man with ability, should be able to develop him into a fine RT.

6- Theo Riddick, RB, Notre Dame

Possible diamond-in-the-rough RB. 6th round after all...

7- Allen, P

Still taking the P last.

Last edited by TimeKiller; 12-12-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2012   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I meant John Jenkins, the guy you mocked 1st round to the Texans. Also, my point about CBs was necessarily geared against Mathieu...more that one pick (on a troubled guy no less) for the secondary isn't going to turn the tide to hold up against the Brady's, Brees's, Manning's and Rodger's of the world.

2- TJ McDonald, FS, USC

7- Allen, P

Still taking the P last.
I apologize for misunderstanding your comment

John Jenkins when all is said & done (underclassman deadline passes along with combine & pro days) ranked low 20's. This is a rich crop of big, strong, athletic DT's for a change, team needing interior DL help should not have to reach for a Poe type prospect. There is Star Lotulelei a possible top 5 pick then Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State a top 15 pick. Sheldon Richardson already declared his intentions to come out early & while not a nose prospect he could steal another DL team needy pick in the top 20. Then you have Jesse Williams, Alabama these two have competed against one another in recruiting wars before, he makes four DL prospects not to mention wildcard NT, Notre Dame r/So Louis Nix III. If he comes out early that could be enough for Jenkins slotting into Texan range, at least close enough for Rick Smith to pick up the phone like he almost did last year with Mercilus, who I did not mock to Texans for just the same reason. Never again

I would be down with Amerson if Texans stand pat. I've watched McDonald lots, he just seems more of in the box safety, not great coverage skills. Why not split the two & take Rhodes in first? Then you have a big corner that could also be excellent fit as a FS. Would take Bailey if there? Williams could rotate in mix for nose, maybe he develops maybe he doesn't. Kiko end of 4th would be a steal, I just don't think he is still there. Foketi would be an excellent pick here. Theo & Allen could both contribute.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 12-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

2- TJ McDonald, FS, USC

7- Allen, P

Still taking the P last.
Amerson's lack of productivity this season concerns me as it appears he did not listen to coaching and went for ball more than WR too much. He has all measurables but I agree with BL if you are drafting Cb then FS go with Rhodes. Any chance B. Williams will be there in 4th? CBS has him ranked 139 late 4th.

1. CB/FS Rhodes 2.WR Cordarelle Patterson 3. OLB/ILB Scott Crichton 6'2" 263 (redshirt S) 3b NT Brandon Williams 4. OT Ricky Wagner.
Old 12-12-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
See, I don' think our WR's are all that bad.

No they haven't done syt this year, BUT I don't see our offense utilizing another top flight receiver.

If we spread out more and let Schaub throw it around more often then I could see the need.

But we have seen Jean make plays...Posey has barely gotten a shot...Walter can catch the ball...Andre is still going strong...

We throw the ball to Jean one time yesterday? OD only three times?

I could easily see us grabbing another top flight WR and them not being fully utilized. I could easily see games where they see 1 or 2 balls come their way.

I think our best bet if we are going to move forward with Schaub as QB is to build the defense up. The offense can be good enough if the defense is truly dominate. I think we should aim towards building a dominat defense because the offense will eventually put points up if we can shut down people...
I think if Kubiak felt better about the WRs we'd see more use out of them. We targeted Jean four times I think. He had two catches for 31 yards, one was 24 yards. The one he missed on 3rd & 6 & the OPI in the endzone. There may have been another.
Old 12-12-2012   #33
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Amerson's lack of productivity this season concerns me as it appears he did not listen to coaching and went for ball more than WR too much. He has all measurables but I agree with BL if you are drafting Cb then FS go with Rhodes. Any chance B. Williams will be there in 4th? CBS has him ranked 139 late 4th.

1. CB/FS Rhodes 2.WR Cordarelle Patterson 3. OLB/ILB Scott Crichton 6'2" 263 (redshirt S) 3b NT Brandon Williams 4. OT Ricky Wagner.
I drafted a CB then S because I wanted to upgrade multiple positions in the backfield, not one. Amerson set a record for INT last season, no QB/coach worth his salt is going to continue to throw towards a ballhawk, his production was almost certain to drop.
Old 12-12-2012   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I drafted a CB then S because I wanted to upgrade multiple positions in the backfield, not one. Amerson set a record for INT last season, no QB/coach worth his salt is going to continue to throw towards a ballhawk, his production was almost certain to drop.
Isn't it kinda of funny how "we" say stuff like "I drafted a CB then S because" how we assume ownership so to speak of different draft prospects, create a mock draft like this one in response to a disappointing performance by Texans and so on

If character, bloodlines, finished product ready to plug & play are the standards by which we judge a Texan first round draft pick for a pure CB prospect late 1st early 2nd I might just suggest Desmond Trufant, Washington. Very solid all around performer, consistent, ball skills, fundamentally sound tackler, can run off receiver hip without drawing interference flags & will elevate/compete apex of ball flight w/WR.

Speaking of safeties what do you think of Jordan Kovacs, Michigan? Big 10, coaching favorite, productive, does not cost Texans a high pick, hard worker, special teams leader, better than Nolan or Keo.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-12-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
QBs not throwing at Amerson was not the issue. He is dropping in rankings like crazy. Your guys probably will not beat out starters so one that can do both should be sufficient for this draft, but bow to your opinion.

Read 12-01-12 notes on folowing link. It will not allow copy/paste.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2014&genpos=CB
Old 12-12-2012   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Here is an interesting underclassman link http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...jtrtl0f9?from=

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-12-2012   #37
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2- TJ McDonald, FS, USC

7- Allen, P

Still taking the P last.

1. Amerson, I'd start him out at CB but I think he's going to be a very good FS for someone.
2. McDonald, no use in getting 2 FS, go for a WR here.
3. Bailey, excellent pick, future longterm OG for the Texans.
3b. Williams, ehhh maybe, not sure about him.
4. Alonso, if still available he's a great pick in the late 4th, I think he's gone by this time.
5. Foketi, don't know anything about him.
6. Riddick, if we trade Tate this makes sense but I'm haven't really looked at RB's.
7. Allen, another very good pick late.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

recap-

John Jenkins would come in and start for Texans. Finding help for Watt will be critical @ some point. By looks of things why wait? Single biggest upgrade Texans could make without changing what they want to do right now & moving forward.

Brian Winters is a top swing tackle candidate who could adequately spell Duane Brown or in worst case injury, as well Derrick Newton which Texans need right now. He could also bolster either LG or RG if needed. OL needs fortified in worst kind of way & hope Jones, Brooks & others develop.

Pass rushers are paid premium dollars, guess that bodes well for Barwin since he can no longer be considered a top free agent pass rusher so Texans should be able to resign him for less than expected. Still Michael Buchanan has the length & pass rushing instinct's, not to mention familiarity with Whitney Mercilus would be like Illinois reunion.

Alonzo may be my favorite of the group. Pay attention people when Oregon faces Kansas State in Fiesta Bowl. His assignment will be a big one, stopping Collin Klein, a very strong, physical running QB. It will be a cat & mouse game & Collin will be very determined to answer his Heisman critics.

Connor is a combination of Kevin Walters & Wes Welker. Sound fundamentally, smart, excellent route runner, sure hands & deceptive speed. Don't worry I don't make a habit of watching Duke football but thanks to 65 I did. Skeptical @ first he won me over with surprising playmaking ability & higher than expected production.

Tyrann Mathieu will be off the board by 5th so don't get your panties all in a twist. Just a breaking point where Texans might be interested.

Quite the opposite in talent & character (comparison to Mathieu) Jordan Kovacs does fit Texan mold. I would like to see more passing in the Big 10 but he is outstanding in recognition & run support. High motor, hard worker who gives it 110%.

Onterio McCalebb is more comfortable with contact than Trindon but similar breakaway speed & playmaking ability. Special teams must improve & Texans will have another opportunity to bring in competition. I called the Holliday pick in 2010 6th rd. so here I'm making another one.

Hawkinson could fit LG most likely to back-up Wade (who is his back-up anyway?). Athletic movement, ability to pass pro & run block in ZBS.

Plus Blocking TE, who compliments Owen & Graham. Casey seems entrenched @ FB with both his blocking & receiving out of the backfield there is room on the roster for one more TE. Go figure.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-13-2012   #39
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I think we'd go corner somewhere a little farther up, but if Tyrann Mathieu is there in the fifth... After JJo, KJax and Brice McCain, I'm not too impressed with our CBs. I'd love to have Mathieu on our team, if he can sort out his act. Agree with the NT pick, seems like our 1st rounder is either going to go towards that or towards right side O-line.

Barwin needs to go.

Great mock! Fills quite a bit of gaps in our team, and I like the TE pick too. Losing Graham hurt our offense a bit. We either need Casey to be a TE all the time and use that guy we picked up from the Bears as our FB or we need an extra TE so Casey can play FB.
There are a lot of Texans fans out there that would love for the Texans to get "The Honey Badger" on this team but I think deep down everyone has to know that this organization will never do it. But, I guess you can dream if you want to.

As for the TE, I would like the Texans to draft one that is big (at least 6'6", 260ish), fast, can block, and has good hands. Don't want another OD/GG clone. Not that they are bad at what they do, but I'm hoping for someone that is more of the new breed of TE like "Gronk." I can dream too!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #40
TimeKiller

See if I can cherry pick and make evrabody happy:

1- David Amerson, CB
2- Cordarelle Patterson, WR (this guy's highlights are disturbing)
3- Bailey, OG
3a- Kiko Alonso, ILB
4- Tyrann Mathieu (early enough?)
5- OT depth
6- DB/RB or TE depth
7- P

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read