Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2012   #161
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
Overall, Schaub is a better than average QB. There's only a handful in the league right now that I'd take over him.
At least half the league is better.

Matt is in the bottom half of the NFL.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #162
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is we have a QB who's around #10 or so, and you need a top 4 guy to win a SB most of the time.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #163
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Overall, Schaub is a better than average QB. There's only a handful in the league right now that I'd take over him.
Honestly I can think of about 12 or 13 guys I'd take over Matt.

All of them might not be considered as good as he is, but I think they bring more to the table and in this system with Kubiak coaching them I think they'd become better players than Matt...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #164
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
At least half the league is better.

Matt is in the bottom half of the NFL.
Well, I do have big hands....

I don't think Matt's in the bottom half.

Been there done that guys
Brady
P. Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger
E. Manning

Been around the block once, but haven't gone in the store guys
Stafford
Ryan

Just moved in the neighborhood guys
Luck
RGIII
Dalton
Newton

That's it from the league that I would take over Schaub. And I'm not sure I would want one of the young kids this season. Well, RGIII maybe. Luck's numbers aren't very good and he makes a lot of mistakes. The team has bailed him out. He'll be great, though.

I'm not a Rivers or Cutler fan at all. Too Favreish without the actual skills needed to make up for the mental errors or maturity.
Old 12-11-2012   #165
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly I can think of about 12 or 13 guys I'd take over Matt.

All of them might not be considered as good as he is, but I think they bring more to the table and in this system with Kubiak coaching them I think they'd become better players than Matt...
I might agree with that.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #166
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, I do have big hands....

I don't think Matt's in the bottom half.

Been there done that guys
Brady
P. Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger
E. Manning

Been around the block once, but haven't gone in the store guys
Stafford
Ryan

Just moved in the neighborhood guys
Luck
RGIII
Dalton
Newton

That's it from the league that I would take over Schaub. And I'm not sure I would want one of the young kids this season. Well, RGIII maybe. Luck's numbers aren't very good and he makes a lot of mistakes. The team has bailed him out. He'll be great, though.

I'm not a Rivers or Cutler fan at all. Too Favreish without the actual skills needed to make up for the mental errors or maturity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I might agree with that.
Dang...I missed some guys...I might have to add to my list...

If We were starting from Scratch and we had to pick a QB with all of the QB's in the league available these are the guys I'd take over Schaub:

Brady
Rodgers
Manning
Manning
Brees
Rivers
Stafford
RG3
Luck
Dalton
Newton
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Wilson
Kaepernick
Tannehill
Romo
Cutler

That's 18 guys that I think either are already better, would be better in our system playing under Kubiak or have a much higher ceiling than Schaub. Yeah, there are guys in there that a lot of people won't agree with, but this is my list...
Old 12-11-2012   #167
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Dang...I missed some guys...I might have to add to my list...

If We were starting from Scratch and we had to pick a QB with all of the QB's in the league available these are the guys I'd take over Schaub:

Brady
Rodgers
Manning
Manning
Brees
Rivers
Stafford
RG3
Luck
Dalton
Newton
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Wilson
Kaepernick
Tannehill
Romo
Cutler

That's 18 guys that I think either are already better, would be better in our system playing under Kubiak or have a much higher ceiling than Schaub. Yeah, there are guys in there that a lot of people won't agree with, but this is my list...
Like the list ... I would add Flacco to it and maybe Bradford.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #168
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'm no fan of Matt Schaub, but I think this was an issue of Matt trying to be a better QB. Instead of being safe & cautious he took a chance that he shouldn't have. I don't know that a better QB could have made that throw. I think a better QB would have checked it down to the wide open Foster. Maybe getting the ball out earlier it would have got there in time.... I don't know.

He was definitely not himself on that throw & it cost us.

There were several more throws that confirms what I've thought about Schaub. I think his "accuracy" numbers are helped by Kubiak's ability to get receivers wide open. When it's close, he puts the ball in the absolute worst place it could be.

& it's not like he hasn't been throwing to these guys for 5 years. I'm talking OD, Andre, & KDub. He's putting the ball where the defender has the best chance of defending the pass. Behind the receiver when the defender is trailing. In front of the receiver when the defense is leading.

Then he was late on just about every throw.

To be fair though, you hit the receiver in the hands, he needs to catch it & that didn't happen too often last night. KDub, Arian, Andre didn't help Matt too much last night.
So true and this is what I've been saying.Kubes made schaub just like they made jake plummer look like a pro bowl qb. He sees what big shanny and lil shanny have in rg3 and its a playmaker. I think you either load the team with explosive,playmakers, or your qb has to be one or even both. Kubes believe in schaub for now,but I think if they get a chance at the right guy,they will draft him like they thought with plummer.

There are only so many situations a coach can hide. With schaub,kubes have to have a run game,great defense,and there are a lot of throws he can't make.
Old 12-11-2012   #169
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Kubes believe in schaub for now,but I think if they get a chance at the right guy,they will draft him like they thought with plummer.
Like when we had a chance to get Peyton Manning?
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #170
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Like when we had a chance to get Peyton Manning?

I don't think we had a chance to get Peyton Manning and I'm not talking about the money. I think after all these years of watching teams make things happen when they really want to make things happen that money problems get solved easily enough when both sides want to make something happen.

If we'd wanted Peyton and Peyton wanted us then he'd be here.

I don't think Gary wants a QB like that. He wants a guy who does what he's told. Peyton on the other hand wouldn't want to play for a coach like Gary. Peyton's used to being treated like a QB with a brain of his own.
Old 12-11-2012   #171
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

I think u right that Kubes feels his power would be compromise if Peyton was our QB. But I did remember Houston was on Peyton top landing list. So playing for Kubes not an issues for him. Would be a clash of powers. Or ego.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #172
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
I think u right that Kubes feels his power would be compromise if Peyton was our QB. But I did remember Houston was on Peyton top landing list. So playing for Kubes not an issues for him.
Kubiak never wanted Peyton...

He called Schaub and joked about it.

Asked him to go to the airport and pick him up and Schaub joked back and said he'd just put him back on the plane and send him back to where he came from.

Kubiak and Schaub are more than coach and player...They are buddies...

Peyton was never a serious option...
Old 12-11-2012   #173
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't think he's clutch but i believe he is better than what he showed tonight.

I want to say poor Andre. People are talking about a 7th rounder shutting him down & that did not happen.
Good. I want them to keep saying that. It will make him mad and he will take it out on Indy next weekend. Remember when people were saying Andre was done this year? All he did was have a string of big time games.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #174
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

once people stop denying that schaubs success is based solely on the system, they will realize that their are a ton of qbs that would kill in this system.. guys like romo come to mind, rivers, vick.. all more skilled qbs who get dogged because they throw a ton of picks, all could use a change of scenery..
Old 12-11-2012   #175
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
once people stop denying that schaubs success is based solely on the system, they will realize that their are a ton of qbs that would kill in this system.. guys like romo come to mind, rivers, vick.. all more skilled qbs who get dogged because they throw a ton of picks, all could use a change of scenery..
Chargers and Eagles both run the WCO.

I read an article about the WCO in which the Giants DC was quoted saying that Romo also runs the WCO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #176
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bengals also run a WCO.

And they have a young and healthy AJ Green.

The Redskins have to adopt the zone read to utilize RG III better.
If he comes here, will the Texans do the same?
Old 12-11-2012   #177
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Chargers and Eagles both run the WCO.

I read an article about the WCO in which the Giants DC was quoted saying that Romo also runs the WCO.
and??? they show cowboy games every week, their offense looks nothing like ours.. schaub doesnt have to think much, he rolls out, spots the open guy and throws it, if its not there he throws it away. they mix in a ton of PA and stretch runs with the ZBS. we disguise what we do because all the formations look the same, so teams dont know what to expect.. your comment is implying that the chargers, eagles, and cowboys run the same exact offense we do, same gameplan and all.. thats nonsense.. kubiak playsheet is twice the size of jason garretts..
Old 12-11-2012   #178
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
and??? they show cowboy games every week, their offense looks nothing like ours.. schaub doesnt have to think much, he rolls out, spots the open guy and throws it, if its not there he throws it away. they mix in a ton of PA and stretch runs with the ZBS. we disguise what we do because all the formations look the same, so teams dont know what to expect.. your comment is implying that the chargers, eagles, and cowboys run the same exact offense we do, same gameplan and all.. thats nonsense.. kubiak playsheet is twice the size of jason garretts..
Do you think those guys have the football IQ to run Kubiak's Denny's menu?
Old 12-11-2012   #179
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
So true and this is what I've been saying.Kubes made schaub just like they made jake plummer look like a pro bowl qb. He sees what big shanny and lil shanny have in rg3 and its a playmaker. I think you either load the team with explosive,playmakers, or your qb has to be one or even both. Kubes believe in schaub for now,but I think if they get a chance at the right guy,they will draft him like they thought with plummer.

There are only so many situations a coach can hide. With schaub,kubes have to have a run game,great defense,and there are a lot of throws he can't make.
Harbaugh gets it. He might struggle a game or two, but if Kaepernick is who he thinks he is, he's a lot closer to where he wants to be. If not, he's no farther away than if he stayed with Alex Smith.
Old 12-12-2012   #180
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Do you think those guys have the football IQ to run Kubiak's Denny's menu?
That's overstated.

Have we had a qb yet that couldn't play because they didn't know the playbook?

Yeah they've had to scale it back for new guys, but schaub has been here for years. It's not like he came in and absorbed Kubiak's world in one season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read