Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2012   #141
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

Schaub has never been in a critical, must-execute, playoff series and had the fate of the game squarely put on his shoulders. Until he does, and he successfully executes, then I will not view him as a clutch QB.

He's won some regular season games, but none that was a singular must-win to put us in the playoffs. I don't believe that I've ever seen him under real pressure.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #142
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Schaub has never been in a critical, must-execute, playoff series and had the fate of the game squarely put on his shoulders. Until he does, and he successfully executes, then I will not view him as a clutch QB.

He's won some regular season games, but none that was a singular must-win to put us in the playoffs. I don't believe that I've ever seen him under real pressure.
Well the 2009 Pats game was critical and he performed well.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #143
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub proved several years ago that he "could be clutch." Schaub can't always be expected to be clutch though. Either way I'm happy to have him though and he continually shows that he is a very good QB in this league.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #144
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My gripe about all this is that every team knows when Schaun audibles it's to a RUN play.
You have no clue what they have audibled from and to so your assertion is ridiculous.

Quote:
Have we ever seen him change a pass play to another pass play, such as realigning the entire formation? I don't recall it, but maybe we have.
Our O is designed to run multiple run and pass plays out of the same formation so you don't need to see the "entire formation" change (as if that happens much with any team). You also have no idea if the motion you see from the backs and receivers is a result of an audible on any given play.
Old 11-25-2012   #145
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Before this season I would have said Hell no bring in Yates. But what I have seen out of him this season is a man who is willing the W's and putting the team on his back. Throwing for 527 yards to win in OT -vs- JVille and then turn around on a short week to do it again on 4 days rest against Detroit.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Our O is designed to run multiple run and pass plays out of the same formation so you don't need to see the "entire formation" change (as if that happens much with any team). You also have no idea if the motion you see from the backs and receivers is a result of an audible on any given play.
I think people hear that we don't audible & they think Schaub has no control of the offense which couldn't be further from the truth. I think he has even more control than a traditional audible system would give him. But you can't "see" it like you could when Peyton is dancing & gyrating at the LOS.
Old 11-25-2012   #147
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You have no clue what they have audibled from and to so your assertion is ridiculous.
Wait... What???? People have no idea what they audible to, or what the original call was????

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

Signed,

Being facetious!
Old 12-10-2012   #148
sixfour
Site Contributor

Section: 136/350/353
Rep Power: 40 sixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post

bump.
Old 12-10-2012   #149
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he's clutch but i believe he is better than what he showed tonight.

I want to say poor Andre. People are talking about a 7th rounder shutting him down & that did not happen.
Old 12-11-2012   #150
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Please forgive me since I didn't read a couple of pages, but Kubiak is Schaub's biggest enemy in terms of getting the best out of Schaub.
Old 12-11-2012   #151
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Please forgive me since I didn't read a couple of pages, but Kubiak is Schaub's biggest enemy in terms of getting the best out of Schaub.
I think it's the opposite. I think kubiaks offense would be better with a better qb.

I think schaub owes all of his success to kubiak.

Give kubiak a better qb and I think this offense becomes more potent.

That pick in the redone affirms my belief. Awful, perplexing play by Matt. Especially when you have Arian wide open without a defender within 10-15 yards of him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #152
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub has never been and never will be clutch.
Sorry, calling a spade a spade.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #153
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think it's the opposite. I think kubiaks offense would be better with a better qb.

That pick in the redone affirms my belief. Awful, perplexing play by Matt. Especially when you have Arian wide open without a defender within 10-15 yards of him.
I think it's Kubes, but fair enough, Rey. Point well taken.
Old 12-11-2012   #154
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

thats how i feel about it.. maybe they could take a chance on a qb that needs a change of scenery.. i almost feel like its gonna take schaub laying an egg in the playoffs before people will admit that hes not a winner.
Old 12-11-2012   #155
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
thats how i feel about it.. maybe they could take a chance on a qb that needs a change of scenery.. i almost feel like its gonna take schaub laying an egg in the playoffs before people will admit that hes not a winner.
In reference to both Rey and your post, I can see this side as well. I wonder what moves the Texans will make in the near future. A future top-notch qb needs to be had if we are really wanting to be the perennial players so many say we will be.
Old 12-11-2012   #156
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont now he never been in a playoff game ill just have to wait and see
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #157
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

On 610 they said 7 of Schaub's 10 ints have been in prime time games.
Old 12-11-2012   #158
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I'm no fan of Matt Schaub, but I think this was an issue of Matt trying to be a better QB. Instead of being safe & cautious he took a chance that he shouldn't have. I don't know that a better QB could have made that throw. I think a better QB would have checked it down to the wide open Foster. Maybe getting the ball out earlier it would have got there in time.... I don't know.

He was definitely not himself on that throw & it cost us.

There were several more throws that confirms what I've thought about Schaub. I think his "accuracy" numbers are helped by Kubiak's ability to get receivers wide open. When it's close, he puts the ball in the absolute worst place it could be.

& it's not like he hasn't been throwing to these guys for 5 years. I'm talking OD, Andre, & KDub. He's putting the ball where the defender has the best chance of defending the pass. Behind the receiver when the defender is trailing. In front of the receiver when the defense is leading.

Then he was late on just about every throw.

To be fair though, you hit the receiver in the hands, he needs to catch it & that didn't happen too often last night. KDub, Arian, Andre didn't help Matt too much last night.
Old 12-11-2012   #159
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
I still think we can win with Schaub, but I understand the Kaepernic move more & more. Harbaugh "knows" thinking of winning a Super Bowl with Alex Smith is a fools errand.
Old 12-11-2012   #160
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
Schaub has never been and never will be clutch.
Sorry, calling a spade a spade.
I think he can come up big in clutch situations. He's put the team on his back before and won games with his arm.

But...

He can't do it consistently so I wouldn't consider him a clutch player. You're happy when he does it, but you don't exactly expect it.

QBs like Brady and Manning know the D before the snap and throw to the correct receiver 90% of the time. Schaub acts like he knows who he wants to throw to coming out of the huddle and will miss the open guys 30% of the time to try and get it to the primary target.

Overall, Schaub is a better than average QB. There's only a handful in the league right now that I'd take over him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read