Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-07-2012   #21
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

From Facebook....

Old 12-10-2012   #22
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Margus Hunt on this defense would be crazy. Thing is, he's almost certain to shoot up draft boards when it starts picking up. Would a 2nd be too crazy? 1st? Guy can get after a QB and has crazy natural athleticism.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I think Margus Hunt on this defense would be crazy. Thing is, he's almost certain to shoot up draft boards when it starts picking up. Would a 2nd be too crazy? 1st? Guy can get after a QB and has crazy natural athleticism.
Have not watched him but from what I've read he is a workout warrior and an athlete. I just would not risk second or probably a third either. I think Crick is locked in to replace A. Smith eventually and on my board I have a DE last day with risk/reward much higher.
Old 12-10-2012   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Have not watched him but from what I've read he is a workout warrior and an athlete. I just would not risk second or probably a third either. I think Crick is locked in to replace A. Smith eventually and on my board I have a DE last day with risk/reward much higher.
Margus Hunt is more than a work out warrior. Watch him play.

There are tons of clips on youtube if you cant catch an SMU game on TV...

Can you imagine having two JJ Watts on the field at the same time?

Now, that's an awfully high bar for him to reach, but that's the kind of potential he has...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXIV8LYURsc
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I think in my mock I picked him in the 4th round.

He's not going in the 4th round unless he doesn't participate in the combine or pro day for some reason.

2nd is probably about right, but I would not be surprised if he sneaks into the end of the first round.

I've been watching him since last year and I love him. He's from Estonia, so he's kinda new to football...But his size, strength and athleticism are ridiculous...
Old 12-10-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think in my mock I picked him in the 4th round.

He's not going in the 4th round unless he doesn't participate in the combine or pro day for some reason.

2nd is probably about right, but I would not be surprised if he sneaks into the end of the first round.

I've been watching him since last year and I love him. He's from Estonia, so he's kinda new to football...But his size, strength and athleticism are ridiculous...
A.Smith isn't going anywhere until his contract expires. Wade has already said Crick is his replacement. I can't see using a high pick for a back up in this draft. 2014 on..we can go BPA. We need a NT, WR and maybe an OLB before another DE. If we could get say WR Terrance Williams, a nose in second, I could see using a third on Hunt as long as we get ILB with the other third. I'd rather go for an OL myself.
Old 12-10-2012   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got Hunt rated as a 3rd rd pick. He's got unreal ability but doesn't have the film a guy like Ansah has. He will light up the combine though and has some unreal kick blocked stats.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A.Smith isn't going anywhere until his contract expires. Wade has already said Crick is his replacement. I can't see using a high pick for a back up in this draft. 2014 on..we can go BPA. We need a NT, WR and maybe an OLB before another DE. If we could get say WR Terrance Williams, a nose in second, I could see using a third on Hunt as long as we get ILB with the other third. I'd rather go for an OL myself.
They also said the slot cb was Brandon harris' last year.

And I dont even recall seeing where he named crick smiths replacement.

But even if he did, you need good quality depth on the d line.

And it depends on the talent level of guys. If he is the best player on board then I say take him. We need more talent.
Old 12-11-2012   #29
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, after last night I'd say you can lock up Ansah, Hunt and a load of DBs. Or trade it all away for a franchise QB prospect. If pass rush is the way to stop franchise QBs...and you need a 10 to do it, Texans brought a 1. Just keep chopping the wood until you have a pile of pass rushers.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #30
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is that there are no true franchise QBs. There are a couple guys that could be great, but everyone has flaws. Definitely no one worth trading up for.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
They also said the slot cb was Brandon harris' last year.

And I dont even recall seeing where he named crick smiths replacement.

But even if he did, you need good quality depth on the d line.

And it depends on the talent level of guys. If he is the best player on board then I say take him. We need more talent.
Texans GM Rick Smith responded with fourth-round DE Jared Crick when asked to name one member of Houston's draft class to "watch out for" in 2012.Crick will begin his career behind Antonio Smith and J.J. Watt, but he's Smith's heir apparent. "I think (Crick) will come in and get into a rotation," http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7508/jared-crick

I admit Brandon Harris has really surprised me. Hopefully as did KJ he will hit his stride next season (third). I followed Harris in college and mocked him second round. He seemed to disappear from mention after posting he was going to do a rookie diary his first training camp. That was the last post or mention of a diary. I'm guessing but think he ran afoul of coaches and was told to shut up.

No argument on needing quality depth and have a DE drafted just not high. Watt/Smith/Crick and Jamison with a low round high motor guy to give competition. IMO, especially after last night, DE is not our priority.
Old 12-11-2012   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

11-2: before season GB and NE were possible losses for me so I need to keep that in perspective. For me it was the way we lost. Schaub seem to freak out (for lack of a better word)when he threw the INT in direction of Walter. His passes just were not on target. I am not interested in a QB & agree with 65 on this next crop. Right side of OL was bothersome but Newton was out and Jones is still a rookie. Let's not panic over one game. I have no clue what Kubiak was doing and he seemed to get worse as game progressed. When you are behind 21 points go to the 2 minute drill that has worked for us early in prior games.We ran it a bit on the third quarter 88 yard drive that resulted in Foster's TD.

1. WR: we just don't have one that can go deep consistently. AJ not over the hill but he avg 12 yds. He allowed Talib to cover him & when Pats brought a safety over none of the other options were open. I still think Nose is a higher priority BUT there should be a decent one in second and no WR after T WIlliams is a deep threat with speed. So, I am back to him. Yes, better blocking from line would help Matt & TEs/WRs but it was Harris and Gardner not our usual RT.

2. Nose: here is where I get stumped. I want a trade up in second to get either Nix or Sylvester Williams. I'd prefer to use Tate and a lower pick to do so but he has to continue to do well; 8 for 46 is a good start. Problem with trading Tate in second there are some pretty good backs in that round. If guys I want are not here at our pick I look strong at Brandon Williams in 4th. My most significant memory of Cody is that I can't remember him holding his attack through a block. Could have been him but think it was Mitchell that was not down and ass over kettle. Over all the stats were close 3.7 per rush for Texans and NE 3.9. Just looked a lot worse. Their passing and running games just seem to deflate our defense.

3a. LT Brennan Williams should recover nicely but may decide to skip combine. May be gone by our selection as he was playing great prior to labrum tear. Ranked 109 by cbssports.com

3b. ILB Andrew Jackson

4. C/OG Gabe Ikard Oklahoma
Old 12-13-2012   #33
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
11-2: before season GB and NE were possible losses for me so I need to keep that in perspective. For me it was the way we lost. Schaub seem to freak out (for lack of a better word)when he threw the INT in direction of Walter. His passes just were not on target. I am not interested in a QB & agree with 65 on this next crop. Right side of OL was bothersome but Newton was out and Jones is still a rookie. Let's not panic over one game. I have no clue what Kubiak was doing and he seemed to get worse as game progressed. When you are behind 21 points go to the 2 minute drill that has worked for us early in prior games.We ran it a bit on the third quarter 88 yard drive that resulted in Foster's TD.

1. WR: we just don't have one that can go deep consistently. AJ not over the hill but he avg 12 yds. He allowed Talib to cover him & when Pats brought a safety over none of the other options were open. I still think Nose is a higher priority BUT there should be a decent one in second and no WR after T WIlliams is a deep threat with speed. So, I am back to him. Yes, better blocking from line would help Matt & TEs/WRs but it was Harris and Gardner not our usual RT.

2. Nose: here is where I get stumped. I want a trade up in second to get either Nix or Sylvester Williams. I'd prefer to use Tate and a lower pick to do so but he has to continue to do well; 8 for 46 is a good start. Problem with trading Tate in second there are some pretty good backs in that round. If guys I want are not here at our pick I look strong at Brandon Williams in 4th. My most significant memory of Cody is that I can't remember him holding his attack through a block. Could have been him but think it was Mitchell that was not down and ass over kettle. Over all the stats were close 3.7 per rush for Texans and NE 3.9. Just looked a lot worse. Their passing and running games just seem to deflate our defense.

3a. LT Brennan Williams should recover nicely but may decide to skip combine. May be gone by our selection as he was playing great prior to labrum tear. Ranked 109 by cbssports.com

3b. ILB Andrew Jackson

4. C/OG Gabe Ikard Oklahoma
After the game on Monday I came away more convinced than I was before that there are 3 areas that the Texans need to address in next years draft. You hit 2 of them in your post BB (NT and ILB). I'm definitely on board with Andrew Jackson at ILB. They need another beast roaming the field like Cushing. Not sure what NT to take at this point but I have a feeling whoever I would pick won't be who the Texans pick.

The other area I think they are thin at is TE. Gruden eluded to it during the game when he said something about how the Texans were missing Graham and being able to run the 2 TE sets. Having Casey as the starting FB and 3rd TE isn't cutting it. Did Clutts play at all? I didn't notice him. I think we are too thin in this area and I would really hope they draft a TE early. And, I hope they don't go after the same OD/GG/JC size and style of TE. I want a big (at least 6'6" 260ish) TE that can block, has speed, and good hands! In other words a Monster TE that would be almost impossible to stop in the End Zone! If Eifert or Ertz are there at the end of 1st I wouldn't mind grabbing one of them. If they don't go with a TE early then Williams from Bama may be good later on, though he is more of a blocking TE. Just don't know much about his hands or foot speed/work.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
After the game on Monday I came away more convinced than I was before that there are 3 areas that the Texans need to address in next years draft. You hit 2 of them in your post BB (NT and ILB). I'm definitely on board with Andrew Jackson at ILB. They need another beast roaming the field like Cushing. Not sure what NT to take at this point but I have a feeling whoever I would pick won't be who the Texans pick.

The other area I think they are thin at is TE. Gruden eluded to it during the game when he said something about how the Texans were missing Graham and being able to run the 2 TE sets. Having Casey as the starting FB and 3rd TE isn't cutting it. Did Clutts play at all? I didn't notice him. I think we are too thin in this area and I would really hope they draft a TE early. And, I hope they don't go after the same OD/GG/JC size and style of TE. I want a big (at least 6'6" 260ish) TE that can block, has speed, and good hands! In other words a Monster TE that would be almost impossible to stop in the End Zone! If Eifert or Ertz are there at the end of 1st I wouldn't mind grabbing one of them. If they don't go with a TE early then Williams from Bama may be good later on, though he is more of a blocking TE. Just don't know much about his hands or foot speed/work.
Inside, thanks for you post. As you know part of drafting is getting best player you can at each pick. Notre Dame's Nix is screwing with my head. He is not listed on CBSsports.com at all. Walterfootball.com list him as a first rounder under their draft prospect Nose Tackles. Under their three round mock draft updated Dec 12th, he is not mentioned. I have watched Nix and he is pretty dang good. Not sure if first round good. May blow up after combine as Dontari Poe did.

Currently I am searching for video on Brandon Williams NT from Missouri Southern State. Another poster alerted me to this guy who is ranked #139 by cbs and thus maybe @ our 4th round. 6'2 328 and this senior as a red shirt had 68 total tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, two pass breakups, eight quarterback hurries, five forced fumbles and a safety.

TE we are short due to Graham being out. We are not deep enough yet at almost any position to lose one of our better player and then expect backup to do as well. IMO, if AJ, OD, Walter are healthy and we ain't getting it done, those guys need to step it up. However, on my current mock I select Alabama's Michael Williams in round 5. 6'5+ and 272 pound with good hands and blocking skills; reminds me of Fiedowicz. He is ranked # 194 and should be there with a comp in 5. Maybe get him in 6th but for now 5th.

I think Texans may have flubbed on Clutts and signing him to three years because he should have moved Casey back to TE. That is what they must have been thinking when he was signed; didn't happen. Expect Clutts to be released offseason.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read