Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2012   #1
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson ask teammates to push for more

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP) Andre Johnson sometimes has to tell his teammates how lucky they are to be on one of the NFL's best teams.

For years, Johnson languished on terrible Texans teams. Now, the star receiver shares stories of the tough times, a reminder to appreciate this season and keep working for more.

Johnson is the only player currently with Houston (11-1) remaining from its franchise-worst 2-14 season in 2005.

"Enjoy this part of it, because the times that I went through, that's something you don't ever want to experience," he said he tells his teammates of that season. "The season was super long. There were times I didn't want to get up and come to work. It's hard because you come in and you're working your (tail) off, and you just can't get the job done."

Johnson has 1,114 yards receiving to bounce back from an injury-filled 2011 season where he had a career-low 492 yards.

He probably appreciates where the Texans are now better than anyone. Johnson joined the team after being drafted in the first round in 2003, and went through eight seasons of missing the playoffs in a stretch with just one winning season.

There were times he thought about playing elsewhere, but he forced himself to think about the big picture.

"You find out a lot about yourself, if you're going to be loyal or if you're just going to run away from it," he said. "My thing was I wanted to stay. I wanted to be a part of something special. I wanted to help this organization to where it is right now and even help it achieve more."

When Houston finally made the postseason for the first time last year, the moment was bittersweet for the five-time Pro Bowler because he missed a career-high nine games with various injuries.

"I was excited, but at the same time I was down because you're just like: 'Man, I know I could be out there helping the team,'" he said. "Those would be the times that I would kind of get down on myself and try do things and hope that I could hurry up and come back."

Johnson had a groin injury in training camp, and that combined with his age (31) and the nagging injuries that slowed him for a good chunk of last season had some wondering if he could still be an elite receiver.

He had 119 yards receiving in Houston's opener, but didn't crack 100 yards again until Week 9. It was then that Johnson said he was finally starting to feel like himself again, and two weeks later he showed just that.

Johnson grabbed 14 passes for 273 yards both career-highs and the winning touchdown in Houston's 43-37 overtime win against Jacksonville. He followed that performance with 188 yards receiving a week later.

He's been so good this season than even those who have watched him for years have been left shaking their heads.

"Every day is a marvel," offensive coordinator Rick Dennison said when asked about Johnson. "To me, it's amazing to see somebody work that hard and do that many things because usually you break down or a guy will ask for a day off, but he never does that. I think that's very, very impressive about Andre."

Matt Schaub, who joined the Texans in 2007, said just when he thinks he's seen the best from Johnson, he'll outdo himself. Schaub values Johnson's leadership to the team, and said he can't overstate what he's meant to him individually.

"(He's) the ultimate security blanket," Schaub said. "I know as a quarterback if push comes to shove and we need a play, I know I'm going to go his direction. We see all types of coverages. I'll still go his way because I know he's going to make a play on the football."

Johnson is the most soft-spoken and least talkative player on the team. That hasn't stopped him from being the most important leaders of the squad. But being a leader isn't something that is all that comfortable to Johnson, although he does appreciate that younger players look up to him.

"I've just always been the guy that tries to lead by example," he said. "It's crazy. You'd be surprised at who pays attention to you. I think when you go out and do the right things as a player and just be yourself and be successful at what you do, guys tend to look toward you and come to you for advice and things like that."

Houston has already clinched its second straight playoff berth, but Johnson is quick to point out that these are not the Texans of old, and they're looking for a lot more than simply reaching the playoffs this season.

Johnson needs 86 yards to reach 1,200 yards receiving for the fourth time in his career when the Texans meet the Patriots on Monday night in what Johnson's calls the biggest game in franchise history.

"We still have goals that we have to accomplish," he said. "I think as long as we keep winning, every game is going to get bigger and bigger. When you've been somewhere you've never been before, everything gets bigger."

"
http://www.chron.com/sports/article/...re-4100485.php
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson ask teammates to push for more

Gotta love AJ for sticking it out all those years, for re working his contract so we would have more money for the cap, and for all the hard work he has put into the game. Great guy
Old 12-07-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Gotta love AJ for sticking it out all those years, for re working his contract so we would have more money for the cap, and for all the hard work he has put into the game. Great guy
I'm sure he wasn't just being a great guy. He must have seen something in Bob McNair to make him believe better days are coming.

I mean why be loyal to the organization that had everything stacked against it? It's not like another team wouldn't have drafted him if we didn't.
Old 12-07-2012   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Enjoy this part of it, because the times that I went through, that's something you don't ever want to experience," he said he tells his teammates of that season. "The season was super long. There were times I didn't want to get up and come to work. It's hard because you come in and you're working your (tail) off, and you just can't get the job done."
Quote:
"You find out a lot about yourself, if you're going to be loyal or if you're just going to run away from it," he said. "My thing was I wanted to stay. I wanted to be a part of something special. I wanted to help this organization to where it is right now and even help it achieve more."
Forget about the rest of what AJ had to say.... The above is the longest soundbite we've ever got from this stud!!!

Dude wants this team to do this right and finish!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2012   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'm sure he wasn't just being a great guy. He must have seen something in Bob McNair to make him believe better days are coming.

I mean why be loyal to the organization that had everything stacked against it? It's not like another team wouldn't have drafted him if we didn't.
Ummmmm...

Isn't that would a "great guy" would be? The fact that he stayed here when he easily could've bailed, especially after surviving a 2-14 season??

It almost seems like you and Ellis are arguing the same point. I dunno.
Old 12-07-2012   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ. Texans. One and the same.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #7
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ill be honest, there were times i thought AJ would leave and I wouldn't have blamed him. We were terrible and made stupid decisions as an organization, but hats off to Bob for pushing through with Gary and Rick and making the decision to go out and recruit Wade. Changing our defense around was the single most important thing we have done and it paid off nicely. We are all picky bastards, but I think we can all agree that we're happy the owner showed patience when all of us were ready to move on to the next head coach. Here's to hoping this team is truly something special and we all get what we have been waiting a decade for. have some and do a and dont forget to for the Texans
Old 12-07-2012   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Ill be honest, there were times i thought AJ would leave and I wouldn't have blamed him. We were terrible and made stupid decisions as an organization, but hats off to Bob for pushing through with Gary and Rick and making the decision to go out and recruit Wade. Changing our defense around was the single most important thing we have done and it paid off nicely. We are all picky bastards, but I think we can all agree that we're happy the owner showed patience when all of us were ready to move on to the next head coach. Here's to hoping this team is truly something special and we all get what we have been waiting a decade for. have some and do a and dont forget to for the Texans
I remember a few seasons ago A LOT of people were saying we should trade AJ so he could be on a "good team", damn i have some research to do. What say you now ?
Old 12-07-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I remember a few seasons ago A LOT of people were saying we should trade AJ so he could be on a "good team", damn i have some research to do. What say you now ?
Don't research it... It was spread around that while the Texans sucked that AJ, should be traded: a) "He wasn't going to win anything here and b) We could get so much (i.e.) draft choices, etc....

Neither a) or b) was a viable option whenever Andre wanted to remain a Texan...

And, (which is terrible to start a sentence with "And"), is AWESOME for us Texans fans, no??
Old 12-07-2012   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Don't research it... It was spread around that while the Texans sucked that AJ, should be traded: a) "He wasn't going to win anything here and b) We could get so much (i.e.) draft choices, etc....

Neither a) or b) was a viable option whenever Andre wanted to remain a Texan...

And, (which is terrible to start a sentence with "And"), is AWESOME for us Texans fans, no??
would still be fun to research it there Mr Bill
Old 12-07-2012   #11
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring the godd*mn home for this man.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #12
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Johnson opens up the offense for the Texans every time he is on the field. You better have 2 guys on him.....hell, he will still get open with that.
If he is double covered....you got single coverage on just about everyone else. That leaves it wide open for Daniels, Walters, Jean, Martin, Graham....ect.
Thank god he is healthy...The training staff should get a raise keeping him healthy this year.
I hope he gets 1500 yards at least this year.
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Andre Johnson opens up the offense for the Texans every time he is on the field. You better have 2 guys on him.....hell, he will still get open with that.
If he is double covered....you got single coverage on just about everyone else. That leaves it wide open for Daniels, Walters, Jean, Martin, Graham....ect.
Thank god he is healthy...The training staff should get a raise keeping him healthy this year.
I hope he gets 1500 yards at least this year.
He's just a tad shy of needing 400 yards to get that 1500, with four games to play. I'd love to see him get that 1500 as well.

Old 12-08-2012   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
He's just a tad shy of needing 400 yards to get that 1500, with four games to play. I'd love to see him get that 1500 as well.
Ya' been upping your expectation all the time now Thorn, you greedy old baboon
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #15
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Ok after countless hours of research, i was still unable to find the lets trade AJ threads. But man was it funny to go back to 04 and see some of yall on here. My how things have changed.
Old 12-08-2012   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Ya' been upping your expectation all the time now Thorn, you greedy old baboon
LOL. I love this team. Without a doubt the Texans are a classy and talented bunch of guys. If anything has been happening, I've been softening my stance on Kubiak.

Old 12-08-2012   #17
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My dream will come true when I see AJ standing on that podium holding up the Lombardi! I feel hysteria coming on already, so sure hope I've got a support team ready to resusitate my fat, OLD, Texan lovin arse!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #18
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Andre Johnson ask teammates to push for more

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Bring the godd*mn home for this man.
Bring this man the championship!
Old 12-08-2012   #19
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember having those talks with people, sad times. I wouldnt have blamed him either. He deserves that SB Ring and deserves to be the 1st person to hold it up.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012   #20
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok after countless hours of research, i was still unable to find the lets trade AJ threads. But man was it funny to go back to 04 and see some of yall on here. My how things have changed.
It was back when you were posting on the Official forums Ellis. I was one of the guys livid about the dumbassness of the conversation, but wanted to see AJ playing for a winner.

FYI I am Seven from the official forums, but have nowhere close to the same amount of time to post these days.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read