Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2012   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Full Homer?

What's it going to take for you to go "Full Homer"?

You know, remove all doubt about who these guys are? Truly support them through thick & thin? Stop nit-picking every small detail?

I ask, because on 790 they just did a little thing about, "What it will mean if the Texans beat New England?" & I just read SheTexans' post in the MNF Predictions thread, where she predicts a 21 point blow out.

This is all kind of surreal. I just read that & I hear Josh (??) saying if the Texans won, you're going to wake up Tuesday with no doubt in your mind that we're going to the Super Bowl. Thinking about it, I think he's right. Especially if it's by 21 points. There will be no doubt in my mind. You can question our defense, our QB, our Vegan, the right side of the line, our HC... none of that will mean anything to me no matter how valid your points.

We blow out the Patriots, I'm going "Full Homer"

Old 12-07-2012   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Full Homer?

Bill Clinton says that depends on what Full Homer is.

If the Texans beat the Patsies by 21 points, this board will blow up and everyone here will be in full home mode.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #3
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of donuts?

No, really... any kind of victory over the Pats will convince me we are bound for the big show. If it's close, that means this team has the guts to pull out ugly, close victories. If it's a blowout... well, we're simply that good.

Either way, we'll all be overdosing on the if we win.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like you are basically saying when will you ignore shortcomings and just say screw it, we're going to win...

Well I do that every time the Texans play. Otherwise I probably wouldn't watch.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #5
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Sadly, I am so beat down from years of watching the Oilers fail following by more years of Texans fail that only one thing will make me catch the complete homer bug. Texans Superbowl victory #1.
Old 12-07-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Seems like you are basically saying when will you ignore shortcomings and just say screw it, we're going to win...

"Ignore" is such an ugly word. I'm just saying, when will you stop worrying? We'll have our problems, all teams do. But if they beat the Patriots by 21, I'm not worrying anymore. I'll be confident we've got the right group of guys, coaches, etc... handling their business like they should.
Old 12-07-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Exactly, but I'm beginning to realize that fans watch for different reasons. You are aware of my posts about quality of play versus Ws. I think it may go back to how criticism is defined, attacking or constructive. I can be satisfied with my team and still recognize issues. I think many fan conversations go like this BB: "How about those Texans?" Other person "Yeah great win." BB: "did you see Schaub look off that defender, check down to the TE and then sense the blitz getting past his right side blockers? He took off to his left and found Walter coming back to help." Other: "Yeah. er great win."

When I ran ONE BADBOY against other boats, I constantly kept it tuned and adjusted boost and prop, etc. When I discussed races with Art Denick (owner of American Offshore) we talked little about his trophies or MPH but how the boat ran and how to make it better.
Old 12-07-2012   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't ever become a full homer. Any given Sunday any NFL team could lose. The Pats went 16-0 and lost.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278082 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
What's it going to take for you to go "Full Homer"?

You know, remove all doubt about who these guys are? Truly support them through thick & thin? Stop nit-picking every small detail?
Super Bowl for me.

Just making the playoffs is not enough.

Just winning a playoff game is not enough.

Just getting to the AFC championship is not enough.

They have to do what no Houston football has ever done, and that's be in a Super Bowl. Only then would my sub-conscience let go of the past so I could be "full homer".

Until then I'm rabid fanatic that loves the team and who thinks we can win every game but still has some ingrained doubts.
Old 12-07-2012   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I can't ever become a full homer. Any given Sunday any NFL team could lose. The Pats went 16-0 and lost.
You bring up the Pats & that may be a good example. They know they've got issues, but they have faith in their organization to bring the Ws home anyway. Not that they are going to win every game. They might lose Monday, but still feel they have a better than good shot at winning it all.

But I hear ya, some people are just like that.

You never go full homer!!
Old 12-07-2012   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
You bring up the Pats & that may be a good example. They know they've got issues, but they have faith in their organization to bring the Ws home anyway. Not that they are going to win every game. They might lose Monday, but still feel they have a better than good shot at winning it all.

But I hear ya, some people are just like that.

You never go full homer!!
I have faith the Texans can win every Sunday now. I just can't become the type of fan who thinks the Texans can and should do no wrong. That picture puts in nicely lol.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I just can't become the type of fan who thinks the Texans can and should do no wrong.
Understandable
Old 12-07-2012   #13
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been full homer since 2002
Old 12-07-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I've been full homer since 2002
Not that there's anything wrong with that
Old 12-07-2012   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Super Bowl for me.

They have to do what no Houston football has ever done, and that's be in a Super Bowl. Only then would my sub-conscience let go of the past so I could be "full homer".

Until then I'm rabid fanatic that loves the team and who thinks we can win every game but still has some ingrained doubts.

Wow. This describes me as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #16
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I said Super Bowl before the season.

That said, when Walter caught a bomb from Schaub at Denver, I said out loud: "Get the luggage, we goin' to New Orleans."

You can't tell me otherwise until WE DON'T go. I guess this is why my hype for hyped games are a bit subdued. Nothing about these games are going to change my mind.
Old 12-07-2012   #17
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been full Homer since 1998. Lets go Texans blow them out beat them buy a point I AM YOUR HOMER
Old 12-07-2012   #18
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Super Bowl for me.

Ditto. I imagine there is direct correlation between the number of years as a Houston sports fan and the amount of doubt of actually delivering in the end. Sometimes its fun watching the young guys get so excited about our "inevitable" Super Bowl trip, but in the back of my mind I am shaking my head thinking "been there, done that, got the broken heart"
Old 12-07-2012   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I can never be a full homer. I will leave that to the fans who have literally imprinted the Texans upon their DNA code. The people like Joe and SheTexan and others who are full-on, 24/7, no expenses spared Texans fans.

I'm a guy living 8 hours away who watches games and posts on the board.

For me, yeah "There's no other team BUT this team," but yet I still have times when I get pessimistic and I get irritated and a bit cynical of the Texans organization.

If we beat New England, it won't mean much if we drop our final three games afterward and other AFC teams win out. So, IMO, a win at New England tells me that this team is the pick to go to the SB and win it all.

Yet that still carries a tone of healthy skepticism because you can finish 15-1 and lose in the playoffs and you're not going to be world champ of the world. 1-0 every week, just like they started saying last year...like they said in the off-season, in camp, in preseason, and all through this reg season. 1-0 EACH WEEK.

I sometimes actually think it'd be better to lose this game and then win out, because 14-2 still gets us the HFA throughout. Sometimes losing one, then getting your swagger on for the rest of the way is a goods thing.

But then again, LOL, 15-1 is saying something special too!
Old 12-07-2012   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Well, I kind of think of myself as a homer anyway. So I don't really know what that means. But if you mean completely ignore their shortcomings, then I'll go full homer when they have no shortcomings. Now, recognizing their shortcomings does not affect my fandom in any way. I still cheer/scream/whoop/wail/teethgnash with every high and low during the game.

I think the Patriots during the 2nd and 3rd SB wins last decade were the closest thing to a flawless team that we've seen since the early '90s Cowboys. It's just much harder to build a team like that, so I don't think we'll see that too often. I think this year's Texans are one of about 4 teams that should be favored to win the Super Bowl. That's never happened before, so I'm enjoying it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read