Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2012   #41
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another Reason to Love Andre Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If you and your wife were beside him, you asked if you could have an autograph, and declined....then turned to your wife and says to her "But I'll sign one for her" would your opinion of him change?

What's the price tag on character? A bunch of bikes and toys for disadvantaged kids?

Look, you are all purposefully trying to throw rotten tomatoes at me over this. Which is too bad. The point is that we still don't know who these guys really are. A photo of some receipts looks good, but there's been multiple stories of him shorting people in tips and autographs. You know, stuff that doesn't get publicized.

It gets hard to tell what's real and what's just posing for the right shots. So sue me. It's a thought I had. Geez.

And you are purposefully throwing poo on this story for what ever reason. As far as multiple stories; sorry pal but I have only heard of one and it was someone who said it on here. Hell Dick Justice has not even reported anything about this.

As far as asking for an autograph, I would have more respect than do it while he was out to dinner or a movie. I would at a football game, training camp, a practice or maybe at an Astros game.
Old 12-05-2012   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
As far as asking for an autograph, I would have more respect than do it while he was out to dinner or a movie. I would at a football game, training camp, a practice or maybe at an Astros game.
Yup, context is important for autographs or even trying to talk to athletes/celebrities especially with locals who are up against constant recognition. People need to give some space.

Having said that, my wife ended up with a friend at Pappas Steakhouse when the super bowl was in Houston. Pamela Anderson sat down nearby. She went over and said hi to Anderson (no autograph request) who was very gracious. When she asked for the check it had been picked up by Pam.

I know a bouncer at one of the bars AJ frequents and by all reports from him AJ is very generous as a norm.
Old 12-05-2012   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

His loyalty to this organization and city during an era where elite athletes can sign with whoever they want says a lot about his character.

The fact that he has continuously supported charities, both his and others, that help disadvantaged children says a lot about his character.

The fact that he's a WR from The "U" but doesn't showboat, smack talk, or prop himself, says a lot about his character.

yeah, none of us "know" the guy on a personal level, and none of us claim to know him that well. But using one report of a stiffed tip, which is disputed if his agent/companion paid the bill, is skating on thin ice.

And I begrudge no one for the autograph thing. The public is rabid about this stuff, often caring less about your personal space or whatever you are doing in order to satiate their thirst to touch stardom. I think it borders on weird with some of these autograph seekers. I've seen many seriously obsessed with it to the point of stalking people when I was working as a roadie for a sound company.
Old 12-05-2012   #44
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
His loyalty to this organization and city during an era where elite athletes can sign with whoever they want says a lot about his character.

The fact that he has continuously supported charities, both his and others, that help disadvantaged children says a lot about his character.

The fact that he's a WR from The "U" but doesn't showboat, smack talk, or prop himself, says a lot about his character.

yeah, none of us "know" the guy on a personal level, and none of us claim to know him that well. But using one report of a stiffed tip, which is disputed if his agent/companion paid the bill, is skating on thin ice.

And I begrudge no one for the autograph thing. The public is rabid about this stuff, often caring less about your personal space or whatever you are doing in order to satiate their thirst to touch stardom. I think it borders on weird with some of these autograph seekers. I've seen many seriously obsessed with it to the point of stalking people when I was working as a roadie for a sound company.
Yeah DB, all in this post is true, but he will beat the "F" out of an Innagin after telling on the sidelines that "I'm gonna tear that a$$ up"

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #45
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah DB, all in this post is true, but he will beat the "F" out of an Innagin after telling on the sidelines that "I'm gonna tear that a$$ up"
That he says more about his good character than anything DB said.
Old 12-05-2012   #46
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 57187 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
D'oh.

Take it to that thread and b*tch about it in there. I have no opinion of the incident in THIS thread. Thanks.
Last I checked this thread was about his generosity and his character so someone questioning or degrading him is worthy of discussion IN THIS THREAD

Thanks for the worthless advice Mr Thread Organizer
Old 12-05-2012   #47
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Last I checked this thread was about his generosity and his character so someone questioning or degrading him is worthy of discussion IN THIS THREAD

Thanks for the worthless advice Mr Thread Organizer
This thread was supposed to be about those kids.

You get your feelings hurt real easy don't you? BTW, to answer your PM... NO, I did not neg rep you. You can click on your control panel and it will tell you who left you rep.
Old 12-06-2012   #48
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the picture!

Those toys may break down or become obsolete, but that experience with AJ will stay with them forever!
Old 12-06-2012   #49
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

VIDEO

it's pretty obvious that he enjoys what he's doing, and the pride when saying "every year the kids have gotten things for their brothers and sisters ... it's amazing what type of kids they are ... they think about others".
Old 12-06-2012   #50
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79917 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Yep. His contract negotiations and "hold out" a couple of years ago told me all I need to know about what kind of man he is. I don't know how anyone, especially in Houston, could have a bad word to say about him.

If someone had a bad experience with him, I suspect they did something to deserve it.
Old 12-06-2012   #51
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57187 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You get your feelings hurt real easy don't you? BTW, to answer your PM... NO, I did not neg rep you. You can click on your control panel and it will tell you who left you rep.
This thread is about Andre is his generosity. The story includes kids, but is not the focal point.

and no my feelings don't get hurt I just don't like posters trying to be the grammar police OR the organization police. Its a wide open forum and sometimes threads get sidetracked, so be it. But in this case it did not and here we are, discussing useless crap anyway.

Bottom line, I think we can both agree on, is that Andre is a GREAT player, but an even better person, to donate his time and money for such great causes is awesome.

This would be equivalent to someone like you or me donating 180 dollars of hard cash, I like to donate items, but never that much money. It is pretty impressive to me.
Old 12-06-2012   #52
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This thread is about Andre is his generosity. The story includes kids, but is not the focal point.

and no my feelings don't get hurt I just don't like posters trying to be the grammar police OR the organization police. Its a wide open forum and sometimes threads get sidetracked, so be it. But in this case it did not and here we are, discussing useless crap anyway.

Bottom line, I think we can both agree on, is that Andre is a GREAT player, but an even better person, to donate his time and money for such great causes is awesome.

This would be equivalent to someone like you or me donating 180 dollars of hard cash, I like to donate items, but never that much money. It is pretty impressive to me.

I dont like you trying to control, controlling members
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #53
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I don't like you trying to control members who control other members!!

Old 12-06-2012   #54
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
LOL I wasn't controlling anyone. If anything, Nitro was trying to control the rest of us by "policing" a public forum....its ok Im over it, not trying to stir stuff up, just responding to some people who think AJ is not as great as he portrays himself in the public view.
Old 12-06-2012   #55
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey GP, I once saw Tom Brady push an elderly lady down when she was crossing the street. I swear its true man. Just take my word for it. Now be a good boy and spread the news.

Last edited by Texn4life; 12-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #56
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL I wasn't controlling anyone. If anything, Nitro was trying to control the rest of us by "policing" a public forum....its ok Im over it, not trying to stir stuff up, just responding to some people who think AJ is not as great as he portrays himself in the public view.
Policing a forum? Somebody asked why people were making the tipping accusations and I simply stated that someone made a thread on it. Two different people came at me acting as if I was the one making the claim or whatever it is... both via the boards and PM. It was not my intention as I was never making an opinion on the matter. Get over yourself.
Old 12-06-2012   #57
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Policing a forum? Somebody asked why people were making the tipping accusations and I simply stated that someone made a thread on it. Two different people came at me acting as if I was the one making the claim or whatever it is... both via the boards and PM. It was not my intention as I was never making an opinion on the matter. Get over yourself.
Im cool with that, but the problem was you stated I needed to "talk about in another thread", when in fact there is no reason to. This is a conversation we should just continue via PM so we do not cloud this thread with garbage....I still love you man
Old 12-06-2012   #58
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

People with money don't really cary cash on them, especially those of the famous variety. Also, if a card is used I wouldnt be surprised if asholes try to take more than what is signed on the receipt. Common folk never check their accounts and this happens more than you would think.
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #59
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Haha.. I neg'd him and set him on ignore. Tired of his BS posts, making me want to ship him some fricken Midol.
Old 12-07-2012   #60
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
People with money don't really cary cash on them, especially those of the famous variety.

I dont buy this for a second. Maybe its just the wealthy people Im around but they all tend to carry cash and typically in higher amounts than nonwealthy people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
Also, if a card is used I wouldnt be surprised if asholes try to take more than what is signed on the receipt. Common folk never check their accounts and this happens more than you would think.

Common folks would be idiots if they didnt reconcile their accounts
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read