Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2012   #121
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Routt to tryout for HOU **Update** Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
For those that care, Routt will wear #30

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/st...37843797241856
The last pickup we had midseason off the street who wore number 30 worked out pretty decent for us. Hopefully he can give us some of what Allen brought to the table last year. Our scheme isn't complicated in the secondary because we play so much Man coverage. I expect him to see the field Monday.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #122
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The last pickup we had midseason off the street who wore number 30 worked out pretty decent for us. Hopefully he can give us some of what Allen brought to the table last year. Our scheme isn't complicated in the secondary because we play so much Man coverage. I expect him to see the field Monday.
OK, cool. You answered part of my question. Where's he most likely to play? I'm thinking if JJo can't go then KJ will get the #1 and Routt will take the #2 outside with noflyzone in the slot. Is that what folks are thinking as well, or something completely different?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #123
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
OK, cool. You answered part of my question. Where's he most likely to play? I'm thinking if JJo can't go then KJ will get the #1 and Routt will take the #2 outside with noflyzone in the slot. Is that what folks are thinking as well, or something completely different?
We very rarely have our Corners follow players around the field so I'd expect that to be the case on Monday. They'll likely figure out where Routt is more comfortable on the field and leave him there. JJo playing will dictate how much he's gonna be on the field to be honest with you. If JJo plays expext Routt to rotate in with him to not overwork him and keep him fresh similar to how we rotated Allen and KJ last year. I anticipate Harris playing in the slot all game. I just think he's more suited for that role than any of our other corners.

Last edited by Texn4life; 12-05-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2012   #124
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

How could a player learn the terms of another teams defense so fast for Monday. Wouldn't it be a dead giveaway when he is on the field then were definitely in man coverage or does that matter because we don't play much zone or disguise what the backend is doing. I really have no clue how often we play man because I was a basketball and baseball player in my youth . But I have seen samples of playbooks that y'all have posted from teams from the 90s or something and they seem really daunting to learn. I know he probably has ran every play imaginable but don't they kinda scream at each the play after the offense is set up or kinda on the fly as to say. This is a honest question that I have no clue about.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #125
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Routt gets on field I expect him to play off WR a bit and try not give up big play. I am concerned he might try to prove his worth and take too much risk going for INT.
Old 12-05-2012   #126
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Oh how times have changed...

the next play on the highlight reel was a TD run by Wali Lundy.

Link to Wali's music

on a side note...

Ya think so doctor?
I remember being so excited about him after that Jacksonville and Tenneesee games. Then he flamed out...
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #127
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
How could a player learn the terms of another teams defense so fast for Monday. Wouldn't it be a dead giveaway when he is on the field then were definitely in man coverage or does that matter because we don't play much zone or disguise what the backend is doing. I really have no clue how often we play man because I was a basketball and baseball player in my youth . But I have seen samples of playbooks that y'all have posted from teams from the 90s or something and they seem really daunting to learn. I know he probably has ran every play imaginable but don't they kinda scream at each the play after the offense is set up or kinda on the fly as to say. This is a honest question that I have no clue about.
Routt has learned a lot of different schemes and techniques by now.

The concept that Wade brings is really quite simple if the guys are veterans.
He combines the zone concept and the man concept together in such a way that allows guys to play fast without thinking too much.

In basketball it's like switched man defense.
You're playing zone without even knowing that you are in zone.

From there, he works backward.
After you're familiar with it all, you can play more effective zone.
You learn to stretch your zone in a natural way that is just the same concept; the implementation is just a reverse of the previous process.

It is not easy to describe, but I can see that once you're in it for a little while, it will become quite natural.
Much sooner than a guy who play man coverage all his life being trusted into a zone scheme that he's not familiar with.

It still takes a little time, but for a vet who had seen both, it shouldn't take long.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #128
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Routt has learned a lot of different schemes and techniques by now.

The concept that Wade brings is really quite simple if the guys are veterans.
He combines the zone concept and the man concept together in such a way that allows guys to play fast without thinking too much.

In basketball it's like switched man defense.
You're playing zone without even knowing that you are in zone.

From there, he works backward.
After you're familiar with it all, you can play more effective zone.
You learn to stretch your zone in a natural way that is just the same concept; the implementation is just a reverse of the previous process.

It is not easy to describe, but I can see that once you're in it for a little while, it will become quite natural.
Much sooner than a guy who play man coverage all his life being trusted into a zone scheme that he's not familiar with.

It still takes a little time, but for a vet who had seen both, it shouldn't take long.
So, what 'cha thinkin' here 76? 1/2 a quarter, a full 1/2?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #129
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102277 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Routt gets on field I expect him to play off WR a bit and try not give up big play. I am concerned he might try to prove his worth and take too much risk going for INT.
I hope he does, we have pretty good safties and i'm sure that the CBs will have plenty of help. Hopefully his risks pay off, never know who the next game changer might be.
Old 12-05-2012   #130
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I hope he does, we have pretty good safties and i'm sure that the CBs will have plenty of help. Hopefully his risks pay off, never know who the next game changer might be.
Unlike what I've seen in most games so far, one of our safeties seem to always be playing up close....and our remaining safety has been left to try to cover both CBs over the top..........won't work with a prolific passer like Brady. I don't want to see our CBs as the last line of defense with Brady......they will eventually get killed, no matter who they are.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #131
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102277 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Unlike what I've seen in most games so far, one of our safeties seem to always be playing up close....and our remaining safety has been left to try to cover both CBs over the top..........won't work with a prolific passer like Brady. I don't want to see our CBs as the last line of defense with Brady......they will eventually get killed, no matter who they are.
Yeah i know but i dont see them playing close to the line much this game if so we are in deep **** and it will turn into a shoot out. Wade needs to trust the D-Line and LBs to get pressure on Brady and let the safties roam the field to help the CBs.
Old 12-05-2012   #132
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We very rarely have our Corners follow players around the field so I'd expect that to be the case on Monday.
I think wade has been having our corners follow a specific man more than we have in the past.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #133
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think wade has been having our corners follow a specific man more than we have in the past.
I've only seen us do it 2 or 3 out of 12 games this year that I can think of. That's not a high percentage at all. But you're right in that its more than what we did last year.
Old 12-06-2012   #134
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For Wade to keep both safeties back, the front 4-5 are gonna have to have a whale of a game and make Brady uncomfortable quickly. The front 7 will also have to stop a pretty good running game. NE uses a good amount of PA, so they safeties will have to be very disciplined.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
eh..... I've seen our safeties in the exact formation you described before the snap, then after the snap the one close to the line drops into deep underneath coverage while the CB stays on top one the same side, while the other rolls over the top of the other side where the CBs stay under the recievers.

I've also seen where they are both high before the snap, but one or both move up into under coverage while the CBs stay on top.

I've seen our DBs completely change the actual coverage they are in from the look they gave before snap.

Tom Brady isn't perfect. Our window of opportunity may be smaller, but he's stoppable. They've already lost three games this year & chances are they'll lose another before the end of the season. Our defense is as good as any other & our offense is better than most.

May as well be Monday night they get their 4th loss.
Old 12-06-2012   #136
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
eh..... I've seen our safeties in the exact formation you described before the snap, then after the snap the one close to the line drops into deep underneath coverage while the CB stays on top one the same side, while the other rolls over the top of the other side where the CBs stay under the recievers.

I've also seen where they are both high before the snap, but one or both move up into under coverage while the CBs stay on top.

I've seen our DBs completely change the actual coverage they are in from the look they gave before snap.

Tom Brady isn't perfect. Our window of opportunity may be smaller, but he's stoppable. They've already lost three games this year & chances are they'll lose another before the end of the season. Our defense is as good as any other & our offense is better than most.

May as well be Monday night they get their 4th loss.
That may be all well and good. But I've seen our CBs beaten too often in critical situations with a single safety not being there over the top or getting there too late. And if we bring in that safety because of an inadequate front 7 pass rush or run D, expect to see Brady slice up our CBs better than Emeril on the Food Network.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #137
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've only seen us do it 2 or 3 out of 12 games this year that I can think of. That's not a high percentage at all. But you're right in that its more than what we did last year.
If you're talking about shadowing a guy the whole game (or pretty much the whole game like in box-and-one) the way we had Jackson shadowing Dexter McCluster a couple of years ago, then no, we don't.

We could be in man for a large part of the game, but we always sprinkle in something here and there to keep the QB guessing.

Troy Aikman used to talk about this in different game when I studied the Cowboys' tape when we first hired Wade.
Old 12-06-2012   #138
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That may be all well and good. But I've seen our CBs beaten too often in critical situations with a single safety not being there over the top or getting there too late. And if we bring in that safety because of an inadequate front 7 pass rush or run D, expect to see Brady slice up our CDs better than Emeril on the Food Network.
That's why having JJo is important.
(I like Routt, too - when he gets acclimated with the scheme, I believe he can do it as well.)

We disguise our coverage and mix in different things to try to confuse the QB.
Two good CBs and a single high safety are normally enough to cover 2 WRs.

Once in a while, the safety will be a liitle out of position; like Demps was shading a bit too much to the other side, and was held off by a fraction of a sec by the QB's look; but if KJax didn't jump the inside, he should be able to cover the receiver well enough for Demps to come over the top.

It gives us the flexibility in the pass rush by bringing different guys (including the safety or the nickel back) every time.

The blitz in turn, was supposed to help the CBs.

Sometimes you lose; most time, it give you the edge, and you win more.

It's much more exciting to watch then the old cover 2 of Richard Smith and Frank Bush.
Old 12-06-2012   #139
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
So, what 'cha thinkin' here 76? 1/2 a quarter, a full 1/2?
I think he can play right away in a platoon situation, really.
Old 12-06-2012   #140
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know how many times we do it now, but we never used to do it...

But I know that last year in both Baltimore match ups our guys were following specific receivers around.

And I believe in the ATL game JJO was on Roddy White the entire game.

I think it happens more than you think it happens.

In the Detroit game this year they were following certain receivers...

Some of that may be due to WR's lining up in the same position on every snap, but we've heard the team come out and specifically say certain guys were assigned to particular WR's....

That was my point.

I don't think you can say with any kind of certainty that they won't assign guys in this game.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read