Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-03-2012   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kansas City Chief Suicide

Such a sad, sad story that words cannot express. Prayers for his entire family, teammates, fans & entire NFL family.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #42
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting article on what happened. It seems he had issues before and if I'm reading it right, he was actually found by cops before the murder asleep in his Bentley but they let him drive home. I feel horribly for her family and for the Chiefs coaches and GM who had to watch it unfold.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/04...n-belcher.html

Quote:
Seconds after fatally shooting his longtime girlfriend, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher leaned over her in their master bathroom, said he was sorry and kissed her on the forehead.

His mother, who heard gunfire as she stood in the kitchen, rushed to her son’s bedroom and watched his remorseful goodbye.

Belcher apologized to his mother, kissed his 3-month-old daughter and fled his rented home in the 5400 block of Crysler Avenue in his Bentley
Quote:
Club officials knew about the couple’s problems. The Chiefs had provided counseling and “were bending over backward” to help, Sharp said.

But Belcher told Pioli that the assistance wasn’t enough to fix their problems and now, “It was too late.”

When another Chiefs employee arrived, Pioli told him to stay back. Meanwhile Pioli tried to persuade Belcher to lay down the weapon, Sharp said.

Belcher thanked Pioli for everything he had done for him. He asked if he and Clark Hunt would take care of his daughter.

Chiefs Head Coach Romeo Crennel and linebackers coach Gary Gibbs arrived in the parking lot and Belcher reportedly announced, “Guys, I have to do this.
Quote:
Detectives don’t know what specifically sparked the argument between the couple at home, but a friend of Perkins told The Star that the couple argued around 1 a.m. Saturday when Perkins returned home from the Trey Songz concert and drinks with friends afterward. Belcher was mad she had stayed out so late, the friend said.

Sometime later, Kansas City police talked with Belcher after finding him asleep in his Bentley on Armour Boulevard. Officers determined he was able to drive himself home. Police believe he arrived home about 7 a.m., well before a 9:30 team meeting. That’s when the yelling began.

Old 12-05-2012   #43
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I just can't help but feel like to some extent the overall tragedy of this has kind of made it seem ok to a lot of people to focus on that as opposed to the fact that he first murdered his girlfriend and the mother of his baby. I get that he was messed up but he killed this woman and all I'm hearing about from most of the stories I'm seeing is how the team is pulling together and they're being a family , trying to cope with it all by pulling together. That's fine I guess but something is missing here.

What about her family? If I was one of her parents I'd be destroyed. How do you deal with his family when their son killed your daughter. Now not only do they lose a daughter but to have any kind of relationship with their granddaughter they have to continue to have a relationship with the family of the man who killed their daughter.
Old 12-05-2012   #44
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I just can't help but feel like to some extent the overall tragedy of this has kind of made it seem ok to a lot of people to focus on that as opposed to the fact that he first murdered his girlfriend and the mother of his baby. I get that he was messed up but he killed this woman and all I'm hearing about from most of the stories I'm seeing is how the team is pulling together and they're being a family , trying to cope with it all by pulling together. That's fine I guess but something is missing here.

What about her family? If I was one of her parents I'd be destroyed. How do you deal with his family when their son killed your daughter. Now not only do they lose a daughter but to have any kind of relationship with their granddaughter they have to continue to have a relationship with the family of the man who killed their daughter.
Been thinking this myself. Many stories are doing this whole background thing on him...small school guy done good...like the loss was this guy to suicide. The guy was a murderer who left a little girl without parents and who also left his Mom with a scene out of a horror movie. There should be more about supporting this little girl and about how a woman tragically lost her life.
Old 12-05-2012   #45
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Been thinking this myself. Many stories are doing this whole background thing on him...small school guy done good...like the loss was this guy to suicide. The guy was a murderer who left a little girl without parents and who also left his Mom with a scene out of a horror movie. There should be more about supporting this little girl and about how a woman tragically lost her life.
But neither of them played pro sports so why should the media cover them? That is how it looks to me. They do not sell advertising. Very disgusting.
Old 12-05-2012   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

On a radio news blurb I thought I heard that Kanasa City Chiefs or NFL (actually I thought it said NFL) will provide financially for the child.
Old 12-05-2012   #47
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Herv and all about the way the press is memorializing his life.

I did think the Chiefs handled it well with a moment of silence during the game and a dedication to victims of domestic violence.
Old 12-05-2012   #48
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Now not only do they lose a daughter but to have any kind of relationship with their granddaughter they have to continue to have a relationship with the family of the man who killed their daughter.
You kinda make it sound like the family of Belcher is just as bad as him. They didn't kill anybody.

-----------------------------------------------------

As to whatever happened inside of Belcher's head to make him do what he did, I'm not going to pretend I know about any of that stuff. Coward, not a coward, snapped, lost control, temporary insanity, I don't know. All I know is what's in my mind and I have absolutely no sympathy for Belcher. He's a murderer and I'm glad the taxpayers don't have to foot the bill for his imprisonment.

I feel terrible for the child having to grow up, live her life, never knowing her parents, and eventually having to live with the knowledge of what her dad did. I feel for the parents of the mom and Belcher's parents as well. But Jovan Belcher can rot.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
On a radio news blurb I thought I heard that Kanasa City Chiefs or NFL (actually I thought it said NFL) will provide financially for the child.
You sure that it wasn't that Belcher asked Pioli if he and Clark Hunt would take care of his daughter before he shot himself?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Brady Quinn from above:
Quote:
We are going to try to put together a fund for her.

Obviously, without having either parent in her life now I think it is important that she understands what type of love that she should get from a family, and Jovan was part of our family. We make sure to take care of our own, so we want to try to put together a fund and we will have more information and details as to where you can go to donate.

But we just want her to understand, you know, at some point in time she might have some questions in life and we want her to understand how much she is loved and not reflect back on a thing like this and look on it in a negative way. Hopefully she can understand, try to find a peace with it and move forward with her life.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #51
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You sure that it wasn't that Belcher asked Pioli if he and Clark Hunt would take care of his daughter before he shot himself?
Included in the CBA:

Quote:
Meanwhile, according to the league’s collective bargaining agreement, Zoe will receive financial aid through Belcher’s death benefit. For the next four years, her guardian or estate will receive $108,000 annually.

Until she turns 18 (or 23 if she goes to college), she will receive $52,000 per year. While that will come as little consolation emotionally as she grows to learn of what became of her parents, it will at least ensure that she will have the financial opportunity to better herself later on in life courtesy of the National Football League while she is being raised by her grandmother.
LINK
Old 12-05-2012   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Included in the CBA:

LINK
That's nice.
Old 12-05-2012   #53
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
You kinda make it sound like the family of Belcher is just as bad as him. They didn't kill anybody.
Not at all. I'm just saying that one of those families is going to get custody of that little girl and at the moment that appears to be his family. In order to have a relationship with their granddaughter her parents are going to have to continue to stay on good terms with the family of the man who killed their child.

He's left both families with an awkward and painful situation. His family might be good people but their son killed these people's daughter. That's never going to change.
Old 12-07-2012   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Chiefs establish trust fund for Zoey Belcher

Quote:
The Chiefs have established a trust fund for Zoey Michelle Belcher, the three-month-old daughter of Jovan Belcher and Kasandra Perkins.

“Our thoughts and prayers remain with the families and everyone affected by the heartbreaking events of last Saturday,” Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement issued by the Chiefs. “As we continue to struggle with the emotional pain from the tragedy, the Chiefs family is focused on helping 3-month-old Zoey Michelle Belcher as she faces the challenge of growing up without the support of her parents. Zoey will always be a part of the Chiefs family, and we hope that this trust will help to ensure she has the resources necessary as she grows up.”

The trust is funded with contributions from the Hunt family as well as Chiefs players, coaches and other employees. Contributions from the public are welcome.

Checks should be made payable to: UMB Bank, N.A., Trustee of the Zoey Michelle Belcher Irrevocable Trust. They should be sent to: Zoey Belcher Trust, UMB Bank -- Attn: Trust Division, P.O. Box 419226, Kansas City, MO 64179.
Old 12-07-2012   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Included in the CBA:

LINK
Interesting. Thanks for the post.
Old 12-09-2012   #56
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
During Sunday’s edition of Football Night in America, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported that, in the wake of last Saturday’s murder-suicide involving Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, at least seven NFL players have turned in their guns to team security personnel.

According to King, at least one player surrendered multiple guns, telling the team that he doesn’t trust himself.
link
Old 12-09-2012   #57
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Genuine curiosity and asking anyone, not CnD specifically...

Why is it the employer's responsibility for taking care of their mental health? Just curious? It seems to me that players are burdening teams with their personal problems.
Old 12-09-2012   #58
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 130870 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting. However, I would think it would be a little unnerving for the people involved with the one who "doesn't trust himself."

Positive step, nonetheless.
Old 12-09-2012   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Genuine curiosity and asking anyone, not CnD specifically...

Why is it the employer's responsibility for taking care of their mental health? Just curious? It seems to me that players are burdening teams with their personal problems.
An excellent question. I don't know that I have an answer, I would suspect that it may be related to insuring better, more predictable production? Employers also are legally restricted from releasing employees without certain attempts to "help" the impaired...............mental health issues fall under Americans with Disabilities Act. An attorney here would be able to address your question better.
Old 12-09-2012   #60
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 130870 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. A lot of companies offer services designed so the employee can call anonymously and get help with just about anything that could come to mind, everything from finding a new place to live to suicidal/homicidal thoughts (presumably). The Chiefs are but one of many company that does this.

These services aren't the responsibility of the company, but a fringe benefit (if you will) designed for a happier employee as well as a happier employer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read