Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2012   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Jim Rome gives his take . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
So we have the same record as the Falcons and he calls them a contender and us a pretender, despite the fact that we've looked more impressive then they have. Ok Jim lol.
I think it is his opinion that the Falcons have looked more impressive lately than we have.
Old 12-03-2012   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Atlanta is just Detroit, but one peg higher on the clutch scale.

Detroit can't close anybody out in the reg season. The Falcons wait until they get to the playoffs before they begin failing to close opponents out.

The NFC doesn't look nearly as tough as it did at the first of the season. And the AFC looks like it has multiple teams that could win the SB, to me.
Old 12-03-2012   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The NFC doesn't look nearly as tough as it did at the first of the season. And the AFC looks like it has multiple teams that could win the SB, to me.
That's the main reason I dug up the 5 best team thread. Like you, I think 3 of the top 5 are AFC teams. The Saints aren't who we thought they were. The NFC East isn't, & the NFC North just beat the heck out of each other.

Some people still got the NFC with 3 of the top 5, but most, I think favor the AFC.
Old 12-03-2012   #44
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol Jim Rome. What a jabroni.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
lol Jim Rome. What a jabroni.
It's sad that there are literally hundreds of thousands of his fellow doosh nozzles out there who have made him filthy rich for being a doosh nozzle.

He's that P.O.S. we all knew in high school that always had a smart mouth and certain people thought it was awesome...so he had a cult following. Except now he got to be a celebrity and people think he's super awesome now.

I always tried to listen to his radio show off and on, and could never EVER get into it. I'd turn it off 10 minutes into it. The dead air, the inside jokes, the horrible pacing of his speech. How he got big is a mystery to me. Doosh nozzles made him big, I guess.
Old 12-03-2012   #46
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the dumbest written pieces on the current teams. No surprise that it came from Jim Rome.

How are the Texans defense as bad as he says they are because of two games?? I guess the rest of the season doesn't count ha?? The Texans have a top 5 defense and have play makers all over this defense.

And the Patriots are straight pretenders?? Yeah, a team that has made it to 5 SB's with the best QB of all time?? The Patriots offense has destroyed every team in the league in over all points scored and not one team is even close to catching them.

If the Giants don't make it to the playoffs, the Packers could still turn it on and make it to the SB.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #47
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think he's back on Houston airwaves in January. We have another sports radio station coming, iirc.

Exactly. I do not understand the butthurt for a professional sports entertainer doing his job. It's strange to see so many emotional replies because it rocks the boat. Do folks really think the Texans are perfect in every way? We've got flaws, no doubt about it, and Rome is just being Captain Obvious here.

I'm sure the Texans coaches are looking at these problems and trying to figure out ways to strengthen an obvious weakness. Coaches don't have time to be emotional about it.
Yeh I was a little mad at myself for posting mad, but he just rubs me the wrong way. He is just such a know it all, I know that's his job, but maybe it's just the way he says it. His tone and hyperbole maybe. Just the fact that he calls an 11-1 team pretenders is a little over the top. A 4-1, or 4-0 team sure talk crap about them, but 11-1, that's a quality team.
Old 12-03-2012   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Yeh I was a little mad at myself for posting mad, but he just rubs me the wrong way. He is just such a know it all, I know that's his job, but maybe it's just the way he says it. His tone and hyperbole maybe. Just the fact that he calls an 11-1 team pretenders is a little over the top. A 4-1, or 4-0 team sure talk crap about them, but 11-1, that's a quality team.
I think his delivery is intended to excite that emotion.
Old 12-03-2012   #49
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

So the Broncos are contenders??, yet they lost to two pretenders - the Texans and Pats... Their best win is week 1 over the steelers. That's it. Beating the Saints this year means nothing. They also couldn't beat Atlanta

Atlanta - who have they played - their best win was over the Broncos in week 2, that's it.

I say that SF is in trouble now with their QB issues. GB is better than he says they are - according to him this pretending team "exposed" the texans

He hangs his hat on the team that just lost to a rook qb - mmm kay.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #50
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Parcels once said, "You are what your record says you are."

Jim Rome says an 11-1 team is a pretender.

Who are you going to believe?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #51
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

"If I have to call my shot, I'm calling it on the 7‑4 snake in the grass, New York Giants. Nobody in sports flips the switch like the G-men. Get to January and ride or die with Eli, his freaky wide-outs and the QB killers on the D‑line. If I'm rolling with one team, I'm getting behind Big Blue."

Hey Jim Big Blue sure looked good last night!

Don't get me wrong I think the Giants are a good team, but the "contender" got beat by a team with a losing record until they beat by team with a losing record, and are 7-5.
Old 12-04-2012   #52
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Bill Parcels once said, "You are what your record says you are."

Jim Rome says an 11-1 team is a pretender.

Who are you going to believe?

Both are wrong, actually.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #53
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It's sad that there are literally hundreds of thousands of his fellow doosh nozzles out there who have made him filthy rich for being a doosh nozzle.

He's that P.O.S. we all knew in high school that always had a smart mouth and certain people thought it was awesome...so he had a cult following. Except now he got to be a celebrity and people think he's super awesome now.

I always tried to listen to his radio show off and on, and could never EVER get into it. I'd turn it off 10 minutes into it. The dead air, the inside jokes, the horrible pacing of his speech. How he got big is a mystery to me. Doosh nozzles made him big, I guess.

I'm the same way about him.

I hate sports-talk radio because the hosts are usually not very good and the callers are imbecils mostly who want to talk about point spreads (I don't gamble) and fantasy football (I don't play it).

At the same time I love sports-talk radio because it's one of the few places I can actually hear about the stuff I'm interested in (albeit in small quantities packed in between imbecils talking about point spreads and their fantasy football teams (and John McClain dropping names of people he thinks are important who he had dinner with).

Jim Rome's schtick is even worse because of all the things you mentioned and because his army of fans all call in trying to be him. It's mind-numbing to listen to someone trying to race through a bunch of ****ty "takes" hoping that their idol doesn't cut them off because "they suck" (how can anyone tell the difference on that show? They all suck). From time to time he does an interview with someone you want to hear talk but even then you have to put up with his smarmy attitude. It's just not worth it.
Old 12-05-2012   #54
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Rome on a mobile > Rome himself.

Beyond that Rome is a personality ala Skip, if anybody listens to those idiots for anything other than entertainment values; than you are doing yourself a disservice.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #55
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Jim Rome is the biggest pretender on the airwaves...

So in a way, I guess it takes a pretender to know a pretender?

11-1 Jimmy!

Out...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #56
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Yeah, I understand. He's just another talking head blabbing opinions, which we all know the old saying about everyone has one and they all stink.

He writes this stuff to get people to talk about him, and judging by this thread, it's working.

Besides, I like that people doubt our team. It keeps them from reading the hype and letting their guard down. I get kinda' scared when everyone is propping the Texans. The last time that happened we got our asses kicked by Green Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I think his delivery is intended to excite that emotion.
Yep. His ratings are dependent on it.
Old 12-05-2012   #57
Dawgnme
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Dawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
As for the quarterback issue in San Francisco, Jim Harbaugh can start himself, for all I care. As long as he starts Willis, Bowman, Smith and Smith on defense, nobody wants any part of the dudes in gold helmets contender.
I'm the Rams and I approved this message.

Man, ehf Jim Rome - that unentertaining pr!ck lives in the mouths of his impersonators only. The next time he's relevant will be the first time.
Old 12-05-2012   #58
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Besides, I like that people doubt our team. It keeps them from reading the hype and letting their guard down. I get kinda' scared when everyone is propping the Texans. The last time that happened we got our asses kicked by Green Bay.
Co-sign.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #59
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's funny that he references the Broncos making it to the second round with Tebow at QB, and uses that as a point of how they are contenders even moreso with Manning.

But no mention of the Texans clinching our division last season, and making it to the SAME second round barely getting beat by the all-mighty Ravens with a 3rd string ROOKIE QB.

Um.........so, yeah.
Old 12-05-2012   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm the same way about him.

I hate sports-talk radio because the hosts are usually not very good and the callers are imbecils mostly who want to talk about point spreads (I don't gamble) and fantasy football (I don't play it).

At the same time I love sports-talk radio because it's one of the few places I can actually hear about the stuff I'm interested in (albeit in small quantities packed in between imbecils talking about point spreads and their fantasy football teams (and John McClain dropping names of people he thinks are important who he had dinner with).

Jim Rome's schtick is even worse because of all the things you mentioned and because his army of fans all call in trying to be him. It's mind-numbing to listen to someone trying to race through a bunch of ****ty "takes" hoping that their idol doesn't cut them off because "they suck" (how can anyone tell the difference on that show? They all suck). From time to time he does an interview with someone you want to hear talk but even then you have to put up with his smarmy attitude. It's just not worth it.
You know what would absolutely thrill me?

LOL. If we DID win the Super Bowl, and he had JJ Watt on his show afterwards. And what if JJ took the chance to engage in some payback.

Jim: JJ Watt, so good to have you here. How are you?

JJ: I"m great.

Jim: You know, JJ, today I wanted to ask you abou...(JJ interrupts him)

JJ: Hey Jim. You know what I can't get out of my head? It's the funnies thing. In fact, it's my favorite Jim Rome moment of all time. Guess.

Jim: Err, uhh...I give up.

JJ: When you called Jim Everett "CHRIS" and he threw the table at you and jumped on top of you and you were all freaking out, thinking it was the end of your life. Ya know, because you were so aggressive toward him and it backfired on you. You are like "Hellllllp!!!!" ha ha ha ! Best ever.

Jim: Seriously?

JJ: Yeah, Jim. Seriously. Hey Jim, call me Chris.

Jim: Dude. What? Are you...

JJ: CALL ME CHRIS, Jim. Do it. Call me Chris.

Jim: (Awkward silence)

That would be awesome. JJ taking his ass to task. Random psychotic moment.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read