Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2012   #101
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Routt to tryout for HOU **Update** Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
You aint cheating you aint trying.
OR It's only cheating if you get caught.
Old 12-05-2012   #102
qman_tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 79 qman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Like!

He's the one who chased down Jerome Mathis on a return a few years back.

Remember how fast Mathis was?
And Routt chased him down from across the field.
This play!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...s-Raiders-2006

Yeah he is fast...
qman_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #103
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Week 6 Bucs

This is his worst game of the year, per PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...s-bucs-week-6/

Actually, there was only one running play in which he was not in good position; I'll get to it pretty soon here.
I've started taking PFF less seriously. They don't seem to understand coverage and assignment concepts. They tend to assign responsibility for a catch to whoever was closest at the time the catch was made, regardless of who was supposed to be there.

For example: Cover 3 and the safety in the middle zone jumps a hitch and go letting the slot receiver get behind him down the middle of the field. The RCB comes from 20+ yards away and catches the receiver from behind to prevent a TD. They marked it as a bad play against the corner when it was actually a great play on his part.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #104
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman_tx View Post
Oh how times have changed...

the next play on the highlight reel was a TD run by Wali Lundy.

Link to Wali's music

on a side note...

Quote:
Wali Sultan Lundy is a rapper and former American football running back who played for the National Football League. He is currently a free agent.
Ya think so doctor?
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #105
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Wali the one that got busted for burning cabbage at a park? That was awesome
Old 12-05-2012   #106
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Wasn't Wali the one that got busted for burning cabbage at a park? That was awesome
I thought that was Mathis?
Old 12-05-2012   #107
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Routt demonstrates technique here: Stanford Routt NFLN TotalAccess FieldDemo
Quote:
Thanks, I've seen that.
It might have been posted earlier in the thread... I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
You aint cheating you aint trying.
My mistake, Tom.
I found that clip and then I saw a link posted at HT.com

Spec, after watching some more game film, I saw why he was called for a few ticky_tac foul of the 5_yd variety and a few (PIs); hand fighting like JJo.

The refs can pick and choose when to call 'em fouls.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #108
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Now if someone would cut a NT to back up Cody while David Hunter learns next season....
Old 12-05-2012   #109
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Just playing the devil's advocate here...

But stats could be misleading here. Do burn rates account for pass interference calls? I could never be burned if I just tackle the wide receiver once he ran past me every time.
Alright, believe it or not, I had watched all the 7 games he played this year and a couple in 2011.
It went pretty quickly, really.

On Game Rewind, you can turn on the playlist in a column next to the video.

Routt played LCB with the Chiefs as opposed to Rcb with the Raiders.

I watched all the plays going to his side and all the pass or run plays longer than 15 yards to either side.

You can get to each play with just a click of the mouse.

In 2010, he was called for 12 penalties.
They showed a graphic display in a 2011 game.
There was no breakdown as to how many was of the 5_yd variety.

In 7 games of this season, he was called for 2 of those; one of them probably deserving (a little too much hand fight just beyond the 5-yd limit.

He was called for one PI that goes for 12 yards.
That one, I must say I disagree.
He was ahead of the receiver, I think he should have the right to encroach to steer the receiver further to the sideline; it's not like he blatantly cut in front of the receiver.

I really like what I saw; he's a starter in this league, there's no doubt.
Old 12-05-2012   #110
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I've started taking PFF less seriously. They don't seem to understand coverage and assignment concepts. They tend to assign responsibility for a catch to whoever was closest at the time the catch was made, regardless of who was supposed to be there.

For example: Cover 3 and the safety in the middle zone jumps a hitch and go letting the slot receiver get behind him down the middle of the field. The RCB comes from 20+ yards away and catches the receiver from behind to prevent a TD. They marked it as a bad play against the corner when it was actually a great play on his part.
Agree. They have too few people to watch too many games at the detail level.

I take their numbers and combine them with several other sites and my own observation to come to a better understanding of each situation.
Old 12-05-2012   #111
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Chiefs by mandate of their HC switched over to a 3-4 D 2 years ago. To this day, they are still built for a 4-3. For that reason, they are near the bottom of the league in sacks and commonly hang out their CBs to dry. I'm thinking that, his new pass rush-effective scheme here will lend itself to a conducive environment where Routt could show a very dramatic turn around back to his old Raiders bump and run self.
The Chiefs pass rush is lacking, that's for sure.

On top of that they played quite a bit of zone where often a receiver can find a soft spot.

They also had him play the shuffle technique once in a while; and like we've discussed it, it doesn't help on those 10-15 yards routes near the sideline.
Old 12-05-2012   #112
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

bottom line: not being on same page with coaching staff is recipe for failure in the league. I doubt he will have similar problems with Vance & Texan coaching staff, hence the signing suggests both sides bought in to each other

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #113
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
bottom line: not being on same page with coaching staff is recipe for failure in the league. I doubt he will have similar problems with Vance & Texan coaching staff, hence the signing suggests both sides bought in to each other
It's a lot easier to get on board with a scheme when the team is 11-1 as opposed to 2-10. Besides, I think the Texan's locker room is more than capable of dealing with any BS that affects morale.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #114
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
What's his rep as a tackler?
Tackling can be a complicated proposition.

If a guy is in coverage; it's a little more straightforward.

Still, there are always exception.

Ok, let's say a guy gets beat, but he recovered somewhat to come back and makes a swipe at the receiver.

He gets just a piece of the guy, slowing him down just enough for another defender to make the stop; he's still charged with a miss.

Another guy couldn't recover and so the receiver runs free for a TD;
This CB is not charged for a miss.

Similarly, a CB coming up for run support; he was aware of the situation to get off his man successfully, but not cleanly enough to have the proper angle or enough time to make a good tackle. He's charged with a miss.

Another CB got taken out of the play by his man; he's not charged with a miss.
In reality, this guy is a thousand time worse than the other.

That said, you can google "cornerback tackling profootballfocus".
Choose the article that has the title begin with "Madden Maniac".

It gives you an idea when you compare those pure numbers (especially for a 3-yr span between 09-11) with those of JJo and Asomugha.

Get ready for a treat.
Old 12-05-2012   #115
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It's a lot easier to get on board with a scheme when the team is 11-1 as opposed to 2-10. Besides, I think the Texan's locker room is more than capable of dealing with any BS that affects morale.
Routt must be a happy camper right now.

Money in the pocket going home.
Now he can play for fun and a SB ring.

You can't beat that.
Hopefully, he takes advantage of this special situation and works his butt off.
Old 12-05-2012   #116
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Routt must be a happy camper right now.
No doubt, he just landed in the playoffs with a contender. If he chirps a peep of discontent here, dude doesn't want to play football. I expect we'll get his best behavior & game, whatever that is today.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #117
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
He'll also be competing for playing time where he was signed in KC as a starter.
Old 12-05-2012   #118
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
He'll also be competing for playing time where he was signed in KC as a starter.
re-routt

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #119
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
re-routt
Good, I was thinking "Let's rout the opponent!"
Old 12-05-2012   #120
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

For those that care, Routt will wear #30

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/st...37843797241856

Quote:
Newly-signed CB Stanford Routt will wear number 30 for the #Texans
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read