Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2012   #21
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another Reason to Love Andre Johnson

He's the ****ing man.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #22
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Please give me and everyone else details on all these tips he stiffs people on. As far as autographs I'm not sure if you or anyone else is aware but he isn't obligated to sign sh!t whenever others want him to.

AJ in terms of a superstar nfl player and more importantly a star WR doesn't fit the mold. He isn't a diva, he doesn't ask for attention and doesn't work to stay in the spotlight.
A poster here once accused him of stiffing her daughter at a restaurant. There's a thread on it somewhere.
Old 12-04-2012   #23
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
A poster here once accused him of stiffing her daughter at a restaurant. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Fwiw are you telling me that A single possible event caused this opinion of AJ?

I never stretched reality when repeating it to my parents
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #24
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'm going to take a contrarian view.

He stiffs people on tips and autographs, stuff that's not publicized.

He gives $19k in the form of toys that IS publicized.

Do the math: He's not the same guy in all situations.

STILL, overall, YES he's an upstanding citizen and great role model. I just wanted to point out that he finds ways to be inconsistent to people he bumps into out in the real world.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #25
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Fwiw are you telling me that A single possible event caused this opinion of AJ?

I never stretched reality when repeating it to my parents
I'm not telling you anything other than the fact that there was a thread on it a while back.
Old 12-05-2012   #26
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I'm not telling you anything other than the fact that there was a thread on it a while back.
Ever stop to think his daughter SUCKED at her job?
Old 12-05-2012   #27
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Ever stop to think his daughter SUCKED at her job?
D'oh.

Take it to that thread and b*tch about it in there. I have no opinion of the incident in THIS thread. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2012   #28
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Stud!!One of my favorite players in the league and a role model for players coming up on any team. Wish my Boys had some like him.
Old 12-05-2012   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yeah, there's an effin' surprise!
Old 12-05-2012   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
STILL, overall, YES he's an upstanding citizen and great role model.
That's not really a contrarian view, man. It looks like you are trying to have your cake and eat it, too.

The rest of your post just shows that A.J. is human like the rest of us.

As far as publicity, what is wrong with publicizing charity to help at-risk kids, single parents, shelters for abused people, and food banks? I hope he inspires lots of folks to help out. This world needs more people like him to be quite honest. He's not a typical WR in the NFL that looks for self-gloss.
Old 12-05-2012   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That's not really a contrarian view, man. It looks like you are trying to have your cake and eat it, too.

The rest of your post just shows that A.J. is human like the rest of us.

As far as publicity, what is wrong with publicizing charity to help at-risk kids, single parents, shelters for abused people, and food banks? I hope he inspires lots of folks to help out. This world needs more people like him to be quite honest. He's not a typical WR in the NFL that looks for self-gloss.
Sure.

I guess if I had to really convey the "why" of what I said, it would be this idea we have that what we see on a Facebook or twitter feed, or what we see in ESPN The Magazine, or what we see through Texans' public relations efforts, is the official guidebook for what a player *is* in his real life.

We always wonder why we never could picture Marvin Harrison as this guy who would run down a street and shoot a dude in broad daylight. I mean, wow, who saw THAT coming?

Who saw Steve McNair getting off'd by a Dave & Buster's waitress?

I just wanted to say, and probably it's quasi trouble-making in this thread, that pictures and Good Samaritan deeds (while nice, i agree) don't always paint the full picture of what a person is.

For all I know, he's a bad tipper and doesn't like to placate people out in public for whatever reason. That could be all of it.

Whether a person is a star or not, I typically find myself somewhat disappointed in any person who stiffs a waiter or says things like "I won't give YOU an autograph...but I'll give an autograph to HER..." Then it's "Smile for the camera! You bought a **** load of toys for kids! Way to go!"

It's the duality of our life: The public persona and the more accurate picture of what we look like when we think we're not on camera. That's all. But yeah, dude is way above and beyond his colleagues in terms of acts of kindness. Cannot argue that at all. And I think that's good.
Old 12-05-2012   #32
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For all I know, he's a bad tipper and doesn't like to placate people out in public for whatever reason. That could be all of it.

You dont actually know this but rather accept 2nd/3rd party information as fact
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #33
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I just wanted to say, and probably it's quasi trouble-making in this thread, that pictures and Good Samaritan deeds (while nice, i agree) don't always paint the full picture of what a person is.

Whether a person is a star or not, I typically find myself somewhat disappointed in any person who stiffs a waiter or says things like "I won't give YOU an autograph...but I'll give an autograph to HER..." Then it's "Smile for the camera! You bought a **** load of toys for kids! Way to go!"
Why is it he has to placate everyone to be the Great guy? He has every right to go out to dinner without a bunch of folks walking up to him while he is taking a bite and ask for an autograph. And like Champs said you are basing your opinion on what others have said and also by what others have done to disappoint you. He has done this every year that I can think of, a couple of years ago he bought a chit load of bicycles.

I am sorry that Santa did not get you that pony you wanted when you were a little boy.
Old 12-05-2012   #34
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I once saw Arian Foster at the Galleria with his family. A few people (adults and kids), were bugging him about autographs, pictures and whatnot, but he just wanted to shop and be on his way. I can't blame him, these people do have lives and other things to do.
Old 12-05-2012   #35
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been shopping out with a few different guys who were asked for autographs. They'll pick and choose their spots when they'll sign them based on how much attention it'll draw sometimes.

Hearing the negatives about this make me sick. 12 kids got the opportunity of a lifetime and then some people want to think about the Why. Who cares why? Hopefully it gives a nudge to others in Andre's position to match his generosity for whatever reason that motivates them. If the end result always affects people in a positive way then i'll be just as happy about their giving as well.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Why is it he has to placate everyone to be the Great guy? He has every right to go out to dinner without a bunch of folks walking up to him while he is taking a bite and ask for an autograph. And like Champs said you are basing your opinion on what others have said and also by what others have done to disappoint you. He has done this every year that I can think of, a couple of years ago he bought a chit load of bicycles.

I am sorry that Santa did not get you that pony you wanted when you were a little boy.
If you and your wife were beside him, you asked if you could have an autograph, and declined....then turned to your wife and says to her "But I'll sign one for her" would your opinion of him change?

What's the price tag on character? A bunch of bikes and toys for disadvantaged kids?

Look, you are all purposefully trying to throw rotten tomatoes at me over this. Which is too bad. The point is that we still don't know who these guys really are. A photo of some receipts looks good, but there's been multiple stories of him shorting people in tips and autographs. You know, stuff that doesn't get publicized.

It gets hard to tell what's real and what's just posing for the right shots. So sue me. It's a thought I had. Geez.
Old 12-05-2012   #37
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you and your wife were beside him, you asked if you could have an autograph, and declined....then turned to your wife and says to her "But I'll sign one for her" would your opinion of him change?

What's the price tag on character? A bunch of bikes and toys for disadvantaged kids?

Look, you are all purposefully trying to throw rotten tomatoes at me over this. Which is too bad. The point is that we still don't know who these guys really are. A photo of some receipts looks good, but there's been multiple stories of him shorting people in tips and autographs. You know, stuff that doesn't get publicized.

It gets hard to tell what's real and what's just posing for the right shots. So sue me. It's a thought I had. Geez.
There's someone in the comment section of the PFT article yesterday who says he received a $100 tip from AJ after he detailed his car. Andre was out to eat with other people when this one incident of a tip not being left was brought into here and none of us know what really happened.

As far as the autographs go, plenty of athletes will refuse autographs to grown men. They feel like guys' intentions are to profit from it. I doubt anyone believes Andre is perfect, but its pretty sad of you to base your opinions off of what you hear on the internet. You sound like that girl in that commercial. Its on the internet so it must be true right?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #38
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
There's someone in the comment section of the PFT article yesterday who says he received a $100 tip from AJ after he detailed his car. Andre was out to eat with other people when this one incident of a tip not being left was brought into here and none of us know what really happened.

As far as the autographs go, plenty of athletes will refuse autographs to grown men. They feel like guys' intentions are to profit from it. I doubt anyone believes Andre is perfect, but its pretty sad of you to base your opinions off of
what you hear on the internet. You sound like that girl in that commercial. Its on the internet so it must be true right?
Bone Sure, he says. Hell, he looked french to me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A photo of some receipts looks good, but there's been multiple stories of him shorting people in tips and autographs.
Now it is multiple stories?
Old 12-05-2012   #40
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If by "multiple" you mean "one of each", then your statement is accurate. But it sounds intentionally misleading to me. Put up or shut up, let's see some info on these alleged stories. Links, quotes, threads?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read