Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2012   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Take Over Texas?

TV rating for the Texans has been increasing significantly.
The Broncos game was the 4th highest amongst all games up to that date.

Ratings in several other games are also very good, including the Jets, the Packers, Jaguars, Lions, Titans, Bears, etc.

More people watched our Thanksgiving game than the Cowboys-Skins game and the Pats-Jets night game.
In fact, it was the second highest rated Turkey game since 1998 when CBS reacquainted the broadcasting right.

The Jets game was the highest rated regular season game since the inaugural game against the Cowboys, and didn't trail the two play-off games by much either.

It certainly looks like more and more people are joining the wagon.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #22
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't really like this article.

Even when the writer was trying to compliment the Texans, it seemed like he would take it back by jabbing at them.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #23
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that most Cowboys fans will remain Cowboys fans as they should. I really don't dislike Cowboys fans for pulling for their team....the fans I dislike are the ones that want to ride with whichever team is winning. They would never admit it but you have a lot of team flip flopping that goes on in metro areas that have two teams like in NYC or the Bay area. I bet they have flip floppers in Ohio too. So Cowboys fans stick with your team even when they suck just like us "real" Texans fans have. As far as giving us more prime time games like the Cowboys get...that will come with winning but I say as I've said...the NFL gave us 5 prime time games this year and 4 on the road against some pretty stiff competition hoping that we would lay an egg..lol. I bet they wish they had put us on more Monday night games. The Jets Titans and the Chiefs Steelers MNF games are two that they had to have lost money on. The NFL never wanted us to get a team back..lol...but we are back!
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #24
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Hmmm..... Jerry Jones, Al Davis...

Makes you wonder what becomes of a franchise when the face of the franchise is its owner...
You forgot about Bud Adams.
Old 12-04-2012   #25
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Hmmm..... Jerry Jones, Al Davis...

Makes you wonder what becomes of a franchise when the face of the franchise is its owner...
oh the face of the franchise...well bud is not out front like Al was and Jerry is..I stand corrected.
Old 12-04-2012   #26
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

But I feel like, with time, SBs and a couple of new generations, that the Texans might own Texas. There's already ripples of a power shift in college football in Texas, certainly, and there's no reason it can't happen in the NFL either. So long as we remain good and the cowboys remain the cowboys... it'll happen with time.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #27
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
As someone who's been in the DFW area since last season, I can tell you that it's true. The Houston Texans are slowly winning over Texas. Last season, I could NEVER watch a Texans game here. This year, I'd be unlucky if they were broadcasting another game.

I think they've broadcasted every Texans game here except for a couple this season. Last season, they only broadcasted a couple of games. Never before have I seen so many Texans paraphernalia in the DFW area.
Now that's a sign of progress. Not so long ago (maybe 5 or 6 years), I was lucky to find a Texan hat in a Walmart about 40 miles south of Houston while the shelves and racks were stocked with "cowgirl" gear. If you go in there now it might be 50/50 or maybe a little better for Texans gear. I still wear the old Texans hat, though it's faded and worn, mostly to show I'm not a "fair weather fan."
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #28
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Will never happen.

That team is infinitely ensconced in Texas due to the nostalgia of their glory hole years. The SB titles. The whole thing.

It's passed down from fathers to sons.

It would be a near miracle if the Texans chiseled away the aura of the Cowboys. SB titles is the only way to do that.
My dad was a long time Cowboy fan since he grew up in the DFW area. We moved to Houston in the early 90's and watched the Oilers, but mainly because they were the local team and it was pro football.

We followed the Cowboys pretty close during the dark years in Houston. However, when the Texans joined the league I forged a new NFL bond with MY team in MY city.

Since then I have watched the team slowly capture the hearts of the city (IE Titan fans that couldn't let go) and my dad as well.

Point being, my dad followed the cowboys during their true glory years when they were actually called Americas team and he has still found a place in his heart for our brand of football.

My dad is not a fan of Jerry Jones by the way.

Edit: I live in DFW now by the way and every game has been shown here this year except the 2 jags games. GOOD THING I BOUGHT SUNDAY TICKET THIS YEAR!!!
Old 12-04-2012   #29
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I don't care about Texans winning popularity of Texas. That is a far-fetch dream. I care more of taking the city of Houston back.
I show you what I mean:
On the eve of this past Thanksgiving I went to Walgreens to buy something, this cashier while ringing my items said to me, "You excited bout tomorrow game?"
I said," Yeah, like every game so for this season."
He said,"If we beat the Redskins we'll be back in the playoff hunt."
I breathe through my nose calmly behind gritted teeth and said, I can't believe you just ask me that. How you know I'm not a Texans fan?"
"Oh, you are?" he said puzzlingly like he just discover I was not from this planet.
I said to him, "You do realize we're in Houston and yet somehow you made the assumption that I'm a person supporting a team that represent another city just over 300 miles northwest from here?"
The guy took a step back from the cash register, clearly seeing my agitation.
Over my shoulder from a short distance I hear an authoritative voice say,"Sir, is there problem?"
I snatched my bagged items from the shaken cashier hands, scooped my change from the dispenser on my way out and say back to the voice,"No problem here. Not in Houston."

You see, I just want to take back Houston from all those arrogant delusional Cowboys fan. Can we at least start from there?
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
It's all about national airtime.

As long as the NFL/Netwoks broadcast the lesser Cowboys nationally over the greater Texans, Cowgirls will have the bigger following.

And before you start, the ratings excuse is a chicken/egg excuse. Broadcast the Texans ...... and they will come around.
I live in the Golden Triangle. The Texans game will be played here if the Cowboys & Texans are being broadcast on the same network. Family & friends go looking for sports bars whenever that happens.

But this is still Cowboy country. I agree with everyone here. A couple of Super Bowl in the next few years & the conversation may change. Until then, we're pretenders.

Nobody wants to follow pretenders.
Old 12-04-2012   #31
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
I didn't really like this article.

Even when the writer was trying to compliment the Texans, it seemed like he would take it back by jabbing at them.
The article kinda left the same taste in my mouth...

Screw it! What do I care? My first words as a child were "Cowgurls suck!!"

Old 12-04-2012   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The article kinda left the same taste in my mouth...

Screw it! What do I care? My first words as a child were "Cowgurls suck!!"

Who the f@#k are you trying to fool? They were "do you mind if I stick this in your thingy."
Old 12-04-2012   #33
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to say it, but it's about like the Longhorns and Aggies.
Longhorns would have to play below .500 ball for the next three decades, and the Aggies would have to win 4 or 5 national championships over that time....
Only then would the Aggies be within shouting distance of the Longhorns.

Texans would have to win 3 or 4 Super Bowls in the next few decades, try to capture the younger kids that are not ingrained into a team yet. Cowboys would have to hit rock bottom, much like the Raiders have done. Only then would it even be close.
Old 12-04-2012   #34
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 487 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowboys fan base is too big. The value of that team has to be #1 in probably all of sports in this country. It's going to be hard to take over the state. Better that way anyway.
Old 12-04-2012   #35
TexansJohn 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 0 TexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry Re: Texans Take Over Texas?

I don't care whether or not someone in San Antonio is a Cowboys fan and not a Texans fan. However, it irks me to no end when I see born-and-bred Houstonians that are Cowboys fans
TexansJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
My dad was a long time Cowboy fan since he grew up in the DFW area. We moved to Houston in the early 90's and watched the Oilers, but mainly because they were the local team and it was pro football.

We followed the Cowboys pretty close during the dark years in Houston. However, when the Texans joined the league I forged a new NFL bond with MY team in MY city.

Since then I have watched the team slowly capture the hearts of the city (IE Titan fans that couldn't let go) and my dad as well.

Point being, my dad followed the cowboys during their true glory years when they were actually called Americas team and he has still found a place in his heart for our brand of football.

My dad is not a fan of Jerry Jones by the way.

Edit: I live in DFW now by the way and every game has been shown here this year except the 2 jags games. GOOD THING I BOUGHT SUNDAY TICKET THIS YEAR!!!
My dad keeps threatening to leave the Cowboys, has for the past two years now. He watches the Texans when it doesn't conflict with his Cowboys games on Sundays....he gets more excited talking to me about MY team than he does about his own team.

I keep trying to tell him he needs to make the switch, but he says he just can't do it. He wants to, but he can't.

I have a friend on Facebook who did the same thing a few weeks ago. He states on Facebook that he is seriously ready to bail on the Rangers and Cowboys, and "Does anybody have suggestions of NFL teams I can be a new fan of. Must be a great, clean cut organization." I immediately replied and told him he has no destiny as a Cowboys fan. His best plan would be to join us Texans fans because this team is ran like the old Cowboys were ran pre-Jerry Jones.

But he can't do it. HIS dad is a 'Boys fan, HE is a 'Boys fan. It's really inherited, IMO. These boys grow up watching their dad live and die by the Cowboys, so they can't walk away form it when THEY (that little kid from years and years ago) are old enough to walk away from it.

They need a 12-step program.
Old 12-05-2012   #37
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My dad keeps threatening to leave the Cowboys, has for the past two years now. He watches the Texans when it doesn't conflict with his Cowboys games on Sundays....he gets more excited talking to me about MY team than he does about his own team.

I keep trying to tell him he needs to make the switch, but he says he just can't do it. He wants to, but he can't.

I have a friend on Facebook who did the same thing a few weeks ago. He states on Facebook that he is seriously ready to bail on the Rangers and Cowboys, and "Does anybody have suggestions of NFL teams I can be a new fan of. Must be a great, clean cut organization." I immediately replied and told him he has no destiny as a Cowboys fan. His best plan would be to join us Texans fans because this team is ran like the old Cowboys were ran pre-Jerry Jones.

But he can't do it. HIS dad is a 'Boys fan, HE is a 'Boys fan. It's really inherited, IMO. These boys grow up watching their dad live and die by the Cowboys, so they can't walk away form it when THEY (that little kid from years and years ago) are old enough to walk away from it.

They need a 12-step program.
See for me it wasn't my Dad. My Dad is from upstate NY. My Mom from Baltimore. She was a massive Colts fan. My Dad went to UH and met my Mom in Houston but never had a Cowboy connection. I'm the youngest of 5 and we moved to Ft. Worth when I was 1. By mid 70s I just learned football as a tyke and loved the local Cowboys. I may have been the only family member that wanted them to win in the old 70s Cowboy/Steelers games. Though some brothers may had become fans. But I have a connection because they are my team no matter who owns them. I'd never bail. My whole family eventually cheered for them but I felt like I was on an island as a kid. No matter how bad Jerry is , I'll hope for wins....or changes. I'm just not as crazy about it now and it doesn't affect my Sundays at much.

Why would your friend give up on the Rangers? I spent more than 3 decades waiting for them to do something and now they are finally run right and have done well...though crushing defeats.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 12-05-2012 at 06:44 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #38
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
You forgot about Bud Adams.
They said the face not the arse.
Old 12-05-2012   #39
Dawgnme
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Dawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansJohn View Post
I don't care whether or not someone in San Antonio is a Cowboys fan and not a Texans fan. However, it irks me to no end when I see born-and-bred Houstonians that are Cowboys fans
Old 12-05-2012   #40
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

(playing ukelele) "Hakoona mattata....what a wonderful phrase!"
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read