Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-04-2012   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Uno Amigo Texan 2013 Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think this is my favorite so far .... Kinda agree with Rmartin about Rhodes but .... I like the position selected. I'd prefer David Amerson or Desmond Trufant .... both are a bit more fluid and have good size.

Dont really see a need for a punter either as Jones is having a really good year. Probably would have gone with another PK just to increase the competition at the position .... especially that late as position players picked there arent likely to stick with a team this talented.
It is being reported that North Carolina State junior cornerback David Amerson is making the jump to the NFL a year early, according to a report (school will not confirm report). I would have not problem going with Amerson either. He is skinny as a rail 6-3 195 but great playmaking skilled player with tons of upside, just the kind of pick making Texans even tougher in the future & give them leverage in contract negotiations with possible free agents. Rhodes is a little too good to last until almost the 2nd rd. so accept your suggestion as a really good one

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #42
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It is being reported that North Carolina State junior cornerback David Amerson is making the jump to the NFL a year early, according to a report (school will not confirm report). I would have not problem going with Amerson either. He is skinny as a rail 6-3 195 but great playmaking skilled player with tons of upside, just the kind of pick making Texans even tougher in the future & give them leverage in contract negotiations with possible free agents. Rhodes is a little too good to last until almost the 2nd rd. so accept your suggestion as a really good one

I plan on doing a comprehensive mock here in the next week or so .... first one since 2004 (damn?). I use to do them regularly .... time has been an issue as it takes a lot of research to do a really good mock. Im sure you know that .... but some others might not appreciate all the effort you three put in those mocks.

Im waiting on Dutch to put together a list of Texans who will be FA's along with some salary information .... We're going to lose some quality players and having that list along with salary info and a projected cap number will go a long way twards getting it right.

My #1 is likely Amerson and looking at RT , ILB , WR and NT in the second and having a real hard time with the decision.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #43
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I plan on doing a comprehensive mock here in the next week or so .... first one since 2004 (damn?). I use to do them regularly .... time has been an issue as it takes a lot of research to do a really good mock. Im sure you know that .... but some others might not appreciate all the effort you three put in those mocks.

Im waiting on Dutch to put together a list of Texans who will be FA's along with some salary information .... We're going to lose some quality players and having that list along with salary info and a projected cap number will go a long way twards getting it right.

My #1 is likely Amerson and looking at RT , ILB , WR and NT in the second and having a real hard time with the decision.
I am excited to see it. Please do post it as soon as it is finished.

Amerson is interesting. Definitely looked better last year than this year, and had that disastrous game against Tenn. That said, 6'3" CBs dont exactly grow on trees. He does not have elite speed, but in the right system with proper technique, you dont need 4.4 speed. The interesting combine drill for him is going to be the 3 cone. I want to see if he has NFL CB caliber agility, or if he will end up a FS.

Trufant from Washington might be worth a look in the first as well. I have him pegged as a riser.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I

Trufant from Washington might be worth a look in the first as well. I have him pegged as a riser.
Quote:
I think this is my favorite so far .... Kinda agree with Rmartin about Rhodes but .... I like the position selected. I'd prefer David Amerson or Desmond Trufant .... both are a bit more fluid and have good size.
Im pretty high on Trufant too .... that post is from earlier in this thread.

Yeah , I'll post it as soon as I can get it finished ....

Kinda wondering if Kyle Long will fall to the end of the third and if he'd be a reach at the end of the second ... I dont want to put in any trades but wouldnt be against moving up from that late third rounder to the middle / early part of the round to grab him. Ive fallen off the Flucker bandwagon ... so Long would likely be my top target at the position.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-04-2012   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dec 3rd he tweeted he has not made up his mind but I expect him to enter draft. He has had some questionable plays this season and scouts supposedly not sure of his decision making process. He did not make the jump in this season as expected. Has skills of man but mostly played zone or "off". He is very aggressive and looks bad going for INT rather than the WR sometimes. I like him a lot & a good coach could make him into a probowler.

Amerson (6-3, 194, 4.45 40-yard dash) has everything teams want in a cornerback for today’s NFL. He possesses a rare combination of great height, tremendous all-around athleticism and excellent natural ball skills. He has the strength to slow the release of receivers and the hips to turn and run with them without losing a step. Amerson has the speed to stay with receivers on deep routes, which is something few tall corners can do. In zone alignments, he reads the quarterback well. He can plant, drive and close quickly on passes and is consistently able to break up or intercept passes. Projection: First-round pick

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...height-skills-
Old 12-04-2012   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hope to see your mock soon. 3Amigos love to get info and opinions from all. I am hopeful that the new CBA will slow the bleed from FA. Certain positions will still attract $ like Barwin should get huge offer regardless how he does remainder of season and why I am glad Smith worked deals with Schaub, Foster and Duane. Those were gigantic, positive deals. I think we are in unique position (thank you Chris Olsen) this offseason with our free agents having decent guys behind them. Another excellent draft can set us up for years. I want a nose desperately but if we get Amerson, Banks or Rhodes I'd be ecstatic. I have mocked Xavier Rhodes for two years but was constantly told he had to move to FS. Unfortunately, he and Banks are gone by our pick on my board.
Old 12-04-2012   #48
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im pretty high on Trufant too .... that post is from earlier in this thread.

Yeah , I'll post it as soon as I can get it finished ....

Kinda wondering if Kyle Long will fall to the end of the third and if he'd be a reach at the end of the second ... I dont want to put in any trades but wouldnt be against moving up from that late third rounder to the middle / early part of the round to grab him. Ive fallen off the Flucker bandwagon ... so Long would likely be my top target at the position.
Well, BL has Long in the 3rd. I would agree with him, and not say that it is outside the realm of possibility.
Old 12-04-2012   #49
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, BL has Long in the 3rd. I would agree with him, and not say that it is outside the realm of possibility.
Ive seen Long mocked as high as the middle of the second round .... to be honest , I think he may go even higher than that .... as high as late first (25ish or later), especially if he has a really good combine.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-04-2012   #50
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Ive seen Long mocked as high as the middle of the second round .... to be honest , I think he may go even higher than that .... as high as late first (25ish or later), especially if he has a really good combine.
He's a great athlete, but not as finished a product as some of the other OT prospects. I thinking mocking him anywhere mid 2nd to late 3rd is fair, considering where we are in the scouting process.
Old 12-04-2012   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Also like Jordan Poyer, Oregon State, but mid-second.

Banks
Rhodes
Amerson
Trufant
Poyer

Fairly tight value late first to mid second. After which there is a big drop off. Kind of similar to when Texans traded up to grab Miami CB Harris who will start in his first game against Tom Brady's New England Patriots. So you really can't scrimp on CB's or ever have enough of them.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-04-2012   #52
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's a great athlete, but not as finished a product as some of the other OT prospects. I thinking mocking him anywhere mid 2nd to late 3rd is fair, considering where we are in the scouting process.
I would agree with that .... for the time being. Really have to see the bowl game , Sr bowl & combine to get a real solid read on many of these prospects.

Watching Fluker against Georgia ... he really dropped for me. Maybe Im being overly critical .... maybe it was just a bad day.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-04-2012   #53
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Also like Jordan Poyer, Oregon State, but mid-second.

Banks
Rhodes
Amerson
Trufant
Poyer

Fairly tight value late first to mid second. After which there is a big drop off. Kind of similar to when Texans traded up to grab Miami CB Harris who will start in his first game against Tom Brady's New England Patriots. So you really can't scrimp on CB's or ever have enough of them.
While we may disagree on the actual ranking, I agree on the premise- there are some good CBSs going early this year. We should have the opportunity to grab one.

Quote:
I would agree with that .... for the time being. Really have to see the bowl game , Sr bowl & combine to get a real solid read on many of these prospects.

Watching Fluker against Georgia ... he really dropped for me. Maybe Im being overly critical .... maybe it was just a bad day.
No, I agree with you on Fluker. I dont think he is a bad player, but he is just not a fit for our scheme.
Old 12-05-2012   #54
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
While we may disagree on the actual ranking, I agree on the premise- there are some good CBSs going early this year. We should have the opportunity to grab one.
I did not include Dee Milliner, Alabama because he should be long gone by time Texans select (doubt Banks will be available either) of course figured same thing about Mercilus. Also flip flopped Poyer with Trufant. Otherwise don't feel order is that egregious pretty much in line with Rob Rang who runs Draftscout.com

*Dee Milliner CB 1 Alabama Jr 6-1 198 1
Johnthan Banks CB 2 Mississippi State Sr 6-1 185 1
*Xavier Rhodes CB 3 Florida State rJr 6-1 217 1-2
*David Amerson CB 4 North Carolina State Jr 6-2 194 1-2
Jordan Poyer CB 5 Oregon State Sr 5-11 190 2
Desmond Trufant CB 6 Washington Sr 6-0 186 2[/quote]

Rhodes does look a natural FS so there could be bonus versatility there & reason why I rated him higher than Amerson plus he has only been playing CB two years, converting from WR. Like I told corrosion would have no problem taking Amerson as well, more of a pure press cover anyway, just needs to improve his core strength. Both Trufant & Poyer would be good candidates to trade up from 2nd but probably not 1st rd. grade.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-05-2012   #55
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Desmond Trufant... any relationship to Marcus Trufant of the Seahawks?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #56
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
I did not include Dee Milliner, Alabama because he should be long gone by time Texans select (doubt Banks will be available either) of course figured same thing about Mercilus. Also flip flopped Poyer with Trufant. Otherwise don't feel order is that egregious pretty much in line with Rob Rang who runs Draftscout.com

*Dee Milliner CB 1 Alabama Jr 6-1 198 1
Johnthan Banks CB 2 Mississippi State Sr 6-1 185 1
*Xavier Rhodes CB 3 Florida State rJr 6-1 217 1-2
*David Amerson CB 4 North Carolina State Jr 6-2 194 1-2
Jordan Poyer CB 5 Oregon State Sr 5-11 190 2
Desmond Trufant CB 6 Washington Sr 6-0 186 2

Rhodes does look a natural FS so there could be bonus versatility there & reason why I rated him higher than Amerson plus he has only been playing CB two years, converting from WR. Like I told corrosion would have no problem taking Amerson as well, more of a pure press cover anyway, just needs to improve his core strength. Both Trufant & Poyer would be good candidates to trade up from 2nd but probably not 1st rd. grade.
Yeah, I was going to say something about Millner, but figured you were just not listing an unrealistic target.

My rankings would go

Millner
Banks
Trufant
Amerson
Rhodes
Poyer

I think you are underselling Trufant. He is off-the-charts athleticism and has the look of a natural NFL CB out there.
Old 12-05-2012   #57
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to say something about Millner, but figured you were just not listing an unrealistic target.

My rankings would go

Millner
Banks
Trufant
Amerson
Rhodes
Poyer

I think you are underselling Trufant. He is off-the-charts athleticism and has the look of a natural NFL CB out there.
You can make a case to me that Trufant would be a solid selection for Texans with the 32nd pick, he does/would fit in nicely I would grade him out little higher than Brandon Harris who was considered a fringe 1st rd. pick in 2011. Trufant has better size, ball tackling skills & bloodlines. Similar CB to Banks minus explosiveness. I rank Amerson/Rhodes higher because of plus size for position & higher overall ceilings. I don't think I'm underselling Trufant at all it's just a good group to pick from for a change where Texans select any of whom could push Texan secondary over the top & become much as possible injury proof in salary cap era

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 12-05-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2012   #58
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Desmond Trufant... any relationship to Marcus Trufant of the Seahawks?
Yes, he is younger brother of Marcus (the No. 11 overall pick by the Seattle Seahawks in 2003) and Isaiah Trufant (New York Jets). He is ranked the #2 Senior CB by most scouts. Miliner, Rhodes & Amerson are all underclassman.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-05-2012   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Yu saw what I did on Fluker. On Long I was not impressed; if we got him in third I would not squawk.
Old 12-05-2012   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yu saw what I did on Fluker. On Long I was not impressed; if we got him in third I would not squawk.
what exactly did you find wrong with that Flucker?

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read