Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-16-2012   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5 Best teams in the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
That's fair, but I'm not quite sold on at least three of the teams you have listed as being better either. 49ers have lost big against both the Giants and Vikings, the Packers have lost to the Seahawks and Colts. The Patriots are 3-3 and don't look to be better. And how good is the Ravens defense going to be without Lewis & Webb? The Falcons & Giants look to be the top two teams in the NFL this week.
I understand your perspective.

It's like being a parent. We are always harder on our own kids than we are with other people's kids.

We see every play of Texans games. Highlights of other teams for the most part.

I just EXPECTED more heart from this team last night. I did not expect a win, because I was not deluded about the Packers and their record. I thought we were going to face and elite team and they did what elite teams are capable of doing: DOMINATE.

I think the Texans have the potential to be an elite team in 2012. But I'm not crowning their asses, yet. I want proof, not potential. They've got to earn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
This is the main reason I started this thread. I wanted to see how myopic our fans are. I don't mean to call you out, or any offense to you. This... is not about you, or isolated to this board. "Every" Texans fan has the same line of thinking, judging by what I'm hearing on the radio, seeing on TV, & experience around town.

Can't put our team in the top 5 because we lacked heart last night, but I'm going to put a 3-3 team ahead of them. That team lacked heart three times where the Texans lacked heart once.

We got beat. No doubt about it. The 49ers got creamed. Damn near shut out at home. But they belong in the top 5.

Hey, I don't have a problem if you don't think the Texans belong in the top 5. But the 49ers & Packers? The Patriots lost to two teams from what has been regularly thought of as the worst division in the league & neither team was San Francisco, the consensus best team in that division.

But the Texans lack heart.

Perspective.
'eh, I think you read to much into my words. I think our team has lots of heart, which is why Sunday shocked me.

Maybe "heart" was the wrong word (I was still a little aggravated with them yesterday, but over it now).

I just saw them come out flat and never seemed to have a pulse. We were still in the game at the end of the 3rd quarter when the score was 28-17. They could still have won the game at that point if they fought for it.

But they did not fight for it, and honestly it looked like they did not even try.

They were being dominated, and when I perceive an attitude of submission from our team, I question their heart FOR THAT ONE GAME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
They lacked heart last night.
My thoughts exactly. I should have just kept it to one sentence, too.

Quote:
There is a difference between losing a hard fought game and one where you lay down and get steamrolled.

Not in the Win column but in my level of anger, lol
That's how I feel about it. I did not watch those other teams lose to put my finger on the pulse of how they played. So I cannot really elaborate about "heart" as it equates to losing. I'm not an expert from mere highlights like TK seems to be.

Here's how I analyzed my list:

Falcons - 6-0 team. Undefeated teams deserve the benefit of respect

Giants - defending Super Bowl champions

Packers - 15-1 team last year, HoF QB, one year removed from an NFL championship. Veteran team that rebounds well.

49ers - Young team. Harbaugh is going to achieve great things with this team. NFC Championship game in his first year as HC anyone?

Patriots - yeah yeah 3-3 record, BUT, Belichick, Brady, defending AFC champions, this team rises as the cream of the crop every year without fail.

Like I said, the Texans could be considered 6th or 7th, depending on how to you want to frame it. I love our team and want great things for them, but I'm not going to put them in the top 5 just to be a homer about it.

And TK, for YOU of all people to start throwing around the myopic blast? Fo real??
Old 10-16-2012   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Falcons
Texans
Giants
Bears
49'ers

Awaiting what they do now that Lewis and Webb are for sure gone: Ravens

While all the teams at the tops do have their weaknesses I think it's still too early to be able to say "These are the definitive top 5 and this is the order they should be in". Falcons Giants and Texans all have their respective issues on defense and offense (Less so in the Falcons case). The 49'ers have a huge hole on offense, and if they can't run the ball it's not going to be pretty for them (They are still really good at running the ball but Alex Smith is who he is). The two Smith's aren't getting near as much pressure in the passing game, as they did last year and it's showing somewhat. And aside from playing Aaron Rodgers, the Bears and the Texans are doing just fine.
Old 10-16-2012   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
There is a difference between losing a hard fought game and one where you lay down and get steamrolled.

Not in the Win column but in my level of anger, lol
Exactly, you're emotionally attached to the Texans, we all are. We hold the Texans to a higher standard. I do it as well.

That's what this thread is about, perspective. Even with that ugly loss, we're still among the top 5 if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
The NFC is stacked this year. If the Broncos win tonight, there will be only two teams with winning records in the AFC, the Texans and Ravens.
Anther thing, this season is still young. Come Jan 3rd, this whole thing can be turned upside down. Remember Chicago came out strong last season, an injury here, an injury there & they don't make the play-offs (I don't think they made the play-offs). Wins & Losses right now should not be the end all be all of who is the best team, who is the worst team. It should be a factor, but the way they play should be a bigger factor.

How many penalties do they have, how good are they at moving the ball, getting 3 & outs, keeping people out of the end-zone, getting into the end-zone. I think Balitimore is one of the better teams in the league, yet they couldn't score more than 9 points against the Cheifs who allowed 27+ to everyone else they played.

We've got our warts, so does everyone else. The Question is do we have the talent & the leadership to fix those warts by January. I think we do. I think the Ravens do. I think the Packers do, the Patriots, the Saints. I question if Philly, Arizona, Chicago, or even Atlanta can. I don't think Dallas, Cleveland, or Tampa Bay can.
Old 10-16-2012   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

falcons
giants
49ers
patriots
texans / packers / seahawks
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #25
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly, you're emotionally attached to the Texans, we all are. We hold the Texans to a higher standard. I do it as well.

That's what this thread is about, perspective. Even with that ugly loss, we're still among the top 5 if you ask me.

Anther thing, this season is still young. Come Jan 3rd, this whole thing can be turned upside down. Remember Chicago came out strong last season, an injury here, an injury there & they don't make the play-offs (I don't think they made the play-offs). Wins & Losses right now should not be the end all be all of who is the best team, who is the worst team. It should be a factor, but the way they play should be a bigger factor.

How many penalties do they have, how good are they at moving the ball, getting 3 & outs, keeping people out of the end-zone, getting into the end-zone. I think Balitimore is one of the better teams in the league, yet they couldn't score more than 9 points against the Cheifs who allowed 27+ to everyone else they played.

We've got our warts, so does everyone else. The Question is do we have the talent & the leadership to fix those warts by January. I think we do. I think the Ravens do. I think the Packers do, the Patriots, the Saints. I question if Philly, Arizona, Chicago, or even Atlanta can. I don't think Dallas, Cleveland, or Tampa Bay can.
The season is young, you are absolutely right.

I don't care about top 5 teams, too BCS for my taste.

Here's my take:

We are the best team in our division = Playoffs
Win enough games = First round bye
Have a better record than the Ravens and Patriots and Broncos for Home field advantage.

Then play with heart and get your ass to the Superbowl!
Old 10-16-2012   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
falcons
giants
49ers
patriots
texans / packers / seahawks
Good list. Very interesting to see the Seahawks on there. I haven't seen enough of them to really form an opinion. Sort of like the Vikings in that regard.

I think the Bears and Broncos are also worthy of mention, especially seeing how the Broncos battled back from a 24 point deficit on the road last night. Any team with a healthy Peyton Manning cannot be overlooked.
Old 10-16-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Good list. Very interesting to see the Seahawks on there. I haven't seen enough of them to really form an opinion. Sort of like the Vikings in that regard.
Definitely feeling the Vikings. Health has been their big thing on both sides of the ball. & if they've got the QB thing figured out... They'll be dangerous. Right now, I think the NFC North is the toughest division. Bears, Vikings, & Packers when Healthy can play with anyone.

Most competitive though, may be the NFC West. SanFran, Seattle, Arizona... even St Louis. All playing great defense right now.
Old 10-16-2012   #28
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Saints
Browns
Panthers
Raiders
Jags

Old 10-16-2012   #29
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I think the Bears and Broncos are also worthy of mention, especially seeing how the Broncos battled back from a 24 point deficit on the road last night. Any team with a healthy Peyton Manning cannot be overlooked.
The amazing thing with that team is that they just keep finding ways to win games. They've got a very mature rookie qb, a solid run game and hellish defense. Everyone knocked them for the Bruce Irvin pick but the guy has really been a solid contributor for them thus far. Don't even get me started on their secondary. If they get more consistent on offense, they can be really scary.

I can't put the bears up there yet b/c of the Jay Cutler factor. We talk about Phillip Rivers and his implosions that single-handedly kill your team, Cutler's been known to have a few of those as well.

The Vikings don't have that stable qb play either. Ponder has progressively gotten worse as the season has gone on...i only know about him b/c i have him in both my fantasy teams.

& yeah, Manning is doing his magic in Denver, but that defense is terrible & will wind up costing them at some point.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #30
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Falcons ,Giants,49ers,Texans and Baltimore.
Old 12-03-2012   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

All right. We're through November. Anything change?

My top 5 as of now.
  1. Giants
  2. Texans
  3. Patriots
  4. Broncos
  5. Atlanta

Totally different from a month ago when the list was NFC heavy. Atlanta is only on the list because of their record. I'd like to put the Colts or Bengals above the Falcons. But out of respect for their record, they had to be in my top 5.

In your opinion, who's playing the best ball right now?
Old 12-03-2012   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In your opinion, who's playing the best ball right now?
Atlanta , Baltimore , Denver , Green Bay , Houston , New England. I have a tough time putting them in any order and really cant find a reason to cut the list to only 5 teams.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #33
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have included San Fran in the group before yesterdays game, and
I still might but not so sure now ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #34
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I would have included San Fran in the group before yesterdays game, and
I still might but not so sure now ?
They probably have the worst QB situation out of the top 5 - 7 teams that most people are listing here (Texans, Broncos, Pats, Giants, Packers, Falcons, 49'ers) and it's starting to show. That whole NFC Superiority bit sure went down in a hurry.
Old 12-03-2012   #35
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Falcons
Giants
49ers
Texans
Packers
That was my list in October. Right now the QB situation in San Francisco gets them out of my top five. My list now:

Texans
Falcons
Patriots
Packers
Giants
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans
Falcons
Broncos
Patriots

Packers (reluctantly)

Colts/Steelers/Ravens/Bengals/Giants - Like the Packers these guys are just a notch or so below the first four. Playing winning football but neither is emerging, IMO, above the pack.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #37
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

texans, texans, texans, texans texans
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #38
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post

texans, texans, texans, texans texans
I like where your head's at, but the down and try again

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #39
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Top 5 in no particular order:

Texans
Patriots
Giants
Falcons (wont win SB)
Broncos (wont win SB)
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #40
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

No particular order:

Texans
Falcons
49ers
Patriots
Broncos

- Would say Giants because when they aren't being inconsistent as can be they are probably the most dangerous out there. Too bad for them they are horribly inconsistent and with the remaining schedule harder than the Skins could end up losing the division...

- Would say Packers but the 49ers and now Giants didn't beat them...they pimp slapped them into the ground. Rodgers seems to be alone out there and not enough to beat those teams. If the Giants make it at all.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read