Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-03-2012   #41
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Smith vs. Colin Kaepernick

Harbaugh has got to be seriously second-guessing himself after losing yesterday to the Rams with CK under center.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Harbaugh has got to be seriously second-guessing himself after losing yesterday to the Rams with CK under center.
I don't think so. They're going to win some, they're going to lose some. He knows that. The important thing is that Kaepernick can shake it off & continue to lead his team.

In the locker room, the team is going to be thinking about that & it might cause some friction, might cause some division. Kaepernick needs to be a leader & keep the team.

The important thing now, is that Kap has got to own it all week & reassure his team-mates that he's going to make up for it. Then he's got to back it up.

But this is probably the best thing that could happen for Harbaugh. That it happens now, & not in January.
Old 12-03-2012   #43
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is: they were in a serious win now position with a guy that has been in that situation before and you know what he will give you.

Kaepernick seems to be the better QB - but he is also a wildcard. On one night he will be fantastic, on the next he will struggle. He is basically a rookie out there.

I guess the move was inevitable - but it came at a pretty bad time. Finish the season with Smith, then let them battle it out next preseason and do the switch there - not in the middle of the season you want to win a superbowl in while your veteran QB is having his best year yet.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
The problem is: they were in a serious win now position with a guy that has been in that situation before and you know what he will give you.

Kaepernick seems to be the better QB - but he is also a wildcard. On one night he will be fantastic, on the next he will struggle. He is basically a rookie out there.

I guess the move was inevitable - but it came at a pretty bad time. Finish the season with Smith, then let them battle it out next preseason and do the switch there - not in the middle of the season you want to win a superbowl in while your veteran QB is having his best year yet.
I agree. That's exactly the way I would go about it. But like I said, we are where we are now & Harbaugh made the decision he thought was best.

What happened with Alex Smith last year, going to NO & beating Brees in shootout, then taking the game to the Giants. If you had to bet money, would you put it on Alex to do it again in 2012?

I wouldn't. If your QB has to win a game in the play-offs, what are the odds that Alex Smith can do it again? I personally think it is more likely that Kaepernick can. Based on what I saw & the decision that Harbaugh made.

I don't think there is a right decision here, or a wrong decision. I would take the safe road & go with Smith. Harbaugh is putting his money where his mouth is. We'll see how it plays out.
Old 12-03-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the Russell Wilson syndrome.

Plays like a world beater when he's under everyone's radar, then when the games get real AND teams start preparing for you...the shine comes off the star.

I knew he'd struggle once the job was his. Once it sets in, I think those types of wildcard QBs don't handle it well. There's a rush of adrenaline because the guy can sense he's about to win the job...then he wins the job, and the moment is gone. Where do you go from there? You have more to lose than to gain, at that point, because now YOU are under the microscope. I think the pressure gets to them.

In fairness to Russell Wilson, though, he's done a fairly decent job this year.

Harbaugh messed up that team's chemistry, IMO. He thought he could make a radical move like this, and I think he's lost the locker room a little. This is where Kubiak is the better coach of the two: Kubiak is so loyal, that guys know they can have a bad performance...shake it off...and they get a chance to make good on their coach's faith in them. Harbaugh pulled a bit of a punk move. So his true colors are coming out: You're only as good as I say you are, and nobody is safe. Not even the guy who got us to the NFCS game last year.

Should have went with A.S. the rest of the way, IMO.
Old 12-03-2012   #46
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Harbaugh made a big mistake here imo. You don't take a chance on a young unproven qb in the middle of a playoff race. They cost you games. On a crap team like the Eagles you bench Vick and see what the guy has. I have a feeling Kap is done for the season barring injury from Alex. I'm not sure Alex will play as well knowing his days are basically numbered now. This move might have cost the 49ers a chance at the superbowl because every other aspect of that team is elite.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson80 View Post
Harbaugh made a big mistake here imo. You don't take a chance on a young unproven qb in the middle of a playoff race. They cost you games. On a crap team like the Eagles you bench Vick and see what the guy has. I have a feeling Kap is done for the season barring injury from Alex. I'm not sure Alex will play as well knowing his days are basically numbered now. This move might have cost the 49ers a chance at the superbowl because every other aspect of that team is elite.
He didn't have a choice. Alex Smith got a concussion. It took some time before Alex could get healthy, Kaepernick started in the mean time. This was the first time Kaepernick started when Alex was healthy.

As far as the play-off race goes, the Seahawks are their only competition. It's a close race, but it's the Seahawks.
Old 12-03-2012   #48
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
He didn't have a choice. Alex Smith got a concussion. It took some time before Alex could get healthy, Kaepernick started in the mean time. This was the first time Kaepernick started when Alex was healthy.

As far as the play-off race goes, the Seahawks are their only competition. It's a close race, but it's the Seahawks.
He was cleared to play game before last and the last game so Harbaugh definitely made a choice. Every game counts when it comes to playoff positioning so I don't get your logic there. Would you say the same if you were a 49er fan? I wouldn't overlook the Seahawks who have one of the best secondary's in the league. They still have to play @ pats @ seahawks and arizona who is no slouch defensively. Kap's due to start throwin some picks against these good secondary's, and he probably will have some more bad games if he plays out the season. I do see Kap's upside and think he has the potential to be the future there, but hes clearly got some developing left to even reach Alex Smith's level.

I wouldn't feel any sense of loyalty if I was in that locker room.
Old 12-03-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
He was cleared to play game before last and the last game so Harbaugh definitely made a choice. Every game counts when it comes to playoff positioning so I don't get your logic there. Would you say the same if you were a 49er fan? I wouldn't overlook the Seahawks who have one of the best secondary's in the league. They still have to play @ pats @ seahawks and arizona who is no slouch defensively. Kap's due to start throwin some picks against these good secondary's, and he probably will have some more bad games if he plays out the season. I do see Kap's upside and think he has the potential to be the future there, but hes clearly got some developing left to even reach Alex Smith's level.

I wouldn't feel any sense of loyalty if I was in that locker room.
I would have stayed with Alex. But I'm not in the locker room. I don't know if Alex was the leader because he was the QB, like Carr, or if he was the leader.

But watching Kaepernick yesterday, it clicked. That's why he did it, to get that stuff out of the way. To see how he handles it this week, to see if it's going to affect him next week.

You saw Alex Smith last year, what he had to do to get that team to the NFC Championship game. What do you think are the odds that he can do that again?

Other than the Jets & the Cardinals, who is going to be rushing to sign Alex Smith? After just 3 games, I can think of three that would jump on the possibility of acquiring Colin Kaepernick.
Old 12-03-2012   #50
ajohnson80
Veteran

Quote:
I would have stayed with Alex. But I'm not in the locker room. I don't know if Alex was the leader because he was the QB, like Carr, or if he was the leader.

But watching Kaepernick yesterday, it clicked. That's why he did it, to get that stuff out of the way. To see how he handles it this week, to see if it's going to affect him next week.

You saw Alex Smith last year, what he had to do to get that team to the NFC Championship game. What do you think are the odds that he can do that again?

Other than the Jets & the Cardinals, who is going to be rushing to sign Alex Smith? After just 3 games, I can think of three that would jump on the possibility of acquiring Colin Kaepernick.
I agree Kaepernick is the better talent. Defenses will start scheming for him now, and I don't think his stats or performance warrant a benching of Alex. Maybe Alex can't repeat his playoff run from last year, but he earned the chance. With him at the helm I feel they are legit superbowl contenders. With Kaepernick it is unknown how he will react to pressure or defenses that scheme to stop him. Its just a huge unnecessary gamble

I feel the chances are better with Alex. That team is more built around defense and running. Alex is good for that because he takes whats there and rarely turns it over.

Do you want a wildcard that could win or lose the game for you?

That team should have been in the superbowl last year. Its not Alex's fault they fumbled.
Old 12-03-2012   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Maybe Alex can't repeat his playoff run from last year, but he earned the chance.
I hear what you're saying. I'm only saying I an see what Harbaugh was thinking. This is a QB league. & Alex isn't that kind of QB.

Quote:
That team should have been in the superbowl last year. Its not Alex's fault they fumbled.
If they were up by two touchdowns, it wouldn't have mattered.
Old 12-03-2012   #52
ajohnson80
Veteran

Quote:
If they were up by two touchdowns, it wouldn't have mattered.
Im confused, are you saying with Kaepernick they beat the Giants by 2 tds?
Old 12-03-2012   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Im confused, are you saying with Kaepernick they beat the Giants by 2 tds?
No, the fumble led to a TD so they would have only won by 1 TD.

Of course I'm not saying they would have won with Kaepernick. What I'm saying is, if you believe this is a QB driven league your chances of winning is better when you have a play-maker at QB. Someone that doesn't just take what the defense gives you.

I don't know that Kaepernick is that guy, but I know Alex Smith is not. Tie his hands behind his back & you might get there with a strong running game & a stout defense.

You add a QB to that run game & defense, & you've got the Giants.

Alex Smith, is fools gold. Makes you think you can do it. Gets you close, but in reality you're not close at all. If it weren't that fumble, it would have been a 3 & out, a monster punt return, & a Super Bowl MVP type QB eliminating you anyway.
Old 12-03-2012   #54
ajohnson80
Veteran

Quote:
No, the fumble led to a TD so they would have only won by 1 TD.

Of course I'm not saying they would have won with Kaepernick. What I'm saying is, if you believe this is a QB driven league your chances of winning is better when you have a play-maker at QB. Someone that doesn't just take what the defense gives you.

I don't know that Kaepernick is that guy, but I know Alex Smith is not. Tie his hands behind his back & you might get there with a strong running game & a stout defense.

You add a QB to that run game & defense, & you've got the Giants.

Alex Smith, is fools gold. Makes you think you can do it. Gets you close, but in reality you're not close at all. If it weren't that fumble, it would have been a 3 & out, a monster punt return, & a Super Bowl MVP type QB eliminating you anyway.
Well it was a field goal and it was overtime. You can't say for sure they would go 3 & out.

I get what your saying and i agree they need to upgrade Alex Smith, but Harbaugh really botched this situation. I'm not sure they can go back to Alex and expect him to play the same knowing that they are going to replace him asap. So now their superbowl hopes are resting on basically a rookie with no postseason experience when the starting qb who got you to nfc champ almost the superbowl was having his best year ever. It's like hes taking a gamble with money he can't afford to lose.

The playoffs are tough and you don't know how long your window is in this league. Theres always a team or two on the rise dieing to take their spot. I don't think you can waste a postseason hoping that kaepernick is the one.

Who knows Kap could go on a huge tear and take them to the superbowl, but more likely he doesn't and makes some mistakes. I could see 49ers fans being rightfully pissed. So I would say 20% chance Harbaugh looks like a genius. 80% he messed up a superbowl contending team. This was a terrible gamble that he obviously made being a prisoner of the moment. Harbaugh's knock is that he can't control his emotions thus leading to dumb decisions like this.
Old 12-03-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I get what your saying and i agree they need to upgrade Alex Smith, but Harbaugh really botched this situation. I'm not sure they can go back to Alex and expect him to play the same knowing that they are going to replace him asap. So now their superbowl hopes are resting on basically a rookie with no postseason experience when the starting qb who got you to nfc champ almost the superbowl was having his best year ever. It's like hes taking a gamble with money he can't afford to lose.
Well Kap isn't a rookie. He's a second year player. Been sitting on the bench getting acclimated to the NFL.

When you consider that, the story kinda sounds like that thing that happened in New England a little while back. While I'm not sure how well Bledsoe was playing before he got hurt, I imagine he played as well as Alex Smith.
Old 12-03-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

One more thing. In a way, sticking with Alex Smith is like playing not to lose. Colin Kaepernik is like playing to win. You take "unneccesary" chances.
Old 12-04-2012   #57
ajohnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Well Kap isn't a rookie. He's a second year player. Been sitting on the bench getting acclimated to the NFL.

When you consider that, the story kinda sounds like that thing that happened in New England a little while back. While I'm not sure how well Bledsoe was playing before he got hurt, I imagine he played as well as Alex Smith.
I said he's BASICALLY a rookie because he never started. If Kap fails then its a terrible gamble. A season where they had superbowl talent wasted on developing a young qb. He's not exactly picking opponents apart like Brady was. The last 2 games Kaps offense has only put up 17 and 13, and it might be too late to go to back.

I think it was the 2nd game of the season Bledsoe got hurt and they were 0-2 so its not like they were in a playoff race. Iirc Bledsoe almost died from that injury. He was also gone longer than 1 game i believe it like 6 weeks at least. Brady lead them to an 11-5 season including an 8 game win streak after Bledsoe started out 0-2. Bledsoe was also in the tail end of his career. He was a top 90's qb but father time was catching up to him. So that situation is not the same at all.

Last edited by ajohnson80; 12-04-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-04-2012   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I said he's BASICALLY a rookie because he never started. If Kap fails then its a terrible gamble.

I think it was the 2nd game of the season Bledsoe got hurt and they were 0-2 so its not like they were in a playoff race. He was also gone longer than 1 game i believe it like 6 weeks at least. Brady lead them to an 11-5 season including an 8 game win streak after Bledsoe started out 0-2. Bledsoe was also in the tail end of his career. He was a top 90's qb but father time was catching up to him. So that situation is not the same at all.
Well yeah, but other than that, it's the same thing.
Old 12-04-2012   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I just look at it this way...

Harbaugh has been with both of these QBs for two years. He's seen them in practice and in games.

He thinks Kaepernick gives him the best chance to win.

I think that should pretty much end the discussion right there. Harbaugh knows more about these two players, more about his team, and more about how to play QB than any of us do.

Harbaugh has done some things that have made me scratch my head but it's hard to argue with the overall results.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #60
RonnieLott42
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 RonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hello everyone, Niners fan here and just noticed the Smith/Kaepernick thread. It looks like you all have it pretty much figured out.
One correction though and that is that the Niners played at home last year against the Saints and not in New Orleans.
RonnieLott42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read