Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2012   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jim Rome gives his take . . .

'eh, Rome has a point. An obvious point, of course, but still a valid point.

Defenses win championships most of the time. We will be facing teams that have QB leaders who are experienced in the post-season, many who have won championships. Our coverage is our Achilles heel. Manning and Brady could have field days if we cannot get consistent pressure on them.

Another factor: I dig Schaub, but let's face it, he's a playoff virgin right now. We just don't know how he will perform until he actually does it. I've got faith in the man, but it's blind faith simply because we have never seen him play in January.

I'm as hopeful as anyone about the Texans, but I'm also pragmatic and a cynic about Houston football teams in the playoffs. We have NEVER had a great playoff team in this city, so please excuse my nature in that regard.

11-1 has us high as kites. But come January, 12 teams start a new season at 0-0. Regular season is a means to an end, and certainly having home-field throughout is a valid goal. But that, in and of itself, does not win games.

At least we have last season for some experience. Just hope Schaub continues to shine and our defense can hide it's injury warts.

GO TEXANS!

Last edited by Double Barrel; 12-03-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The fact that they have continued to post W's despite all those injuries does lead me to believe that Rome's opinion is wrong .... tho if they dont get some of these guy's back by playoff time and the quality of opponent improves .... we might be lookin for excuses again.

The Texans beat Denver when they were relatively healthy .... we're a long way from that now.
I think the Ws just tells you how good our coaches are. Across the board. I don't think Rome is necessarily wrong, he calls it like he sees it. Like you said, this is not the same team that beat the Broncos & those aren't the same Broncos we beat. We were the veteran team then. We were the team with continuity & team veterans. Now, it's completely flopped. They're perfecting their schemes & packages they've been installing since September.

We're still trying to figure out who is going to start next 6 days.

We've got time now, to close that gap by the time we have to see them in the play-offs. If we see them in the play-offs and it's going to be a whole new game.
Old 12-03-2012   #23
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I stopped caring about what this guy thinks around the time this classic ********* beatdown aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...UKTwgqeY#t=42s
Ah the fresh 1994 video, that somebody posts literally everytime somebody mentions Jim Rome.

Anyway, never convinced that there was not some pro wrestling fraud to this. i mean dude didn't actually become 'famous' until after this thing happened.
Old 12-03-2012   #24
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a talk show host, thats about it.

He can say all he wants, so we had two rough games defensively, so what, guess what Jim, we WE STILL WON.....

San Fran, one of his quote unquote contenders:
Lost and tied a 5-6-1 Rams
Lost to a 6-6 Vikings
Lost to a solid GB, and NY
So what makes them a solid contender compared to us.

Denver
Lost to Prentender #1: Houston
Lost to Prentender #2: New England
Lost to a "Contender": Atlanta
In all honesty, Denver scares me, but we still beat them, and matched up well against them, and match ups result in records, and records are what matter, not douche bag hosts.

In what universe do contenders get beat by prentenders and still get to be considered better?

Guys a loser, Houston isn't perfect, but guess what they aren't a prentender, hard to get to 11-1 as a pretender. Only Prentender is this is Jim Rome, so suck it Rome.
Old 12-03-2012   #25
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

His reason we are pretenders is because Henne had a good game against us . This dude is a dumb ass.

We are tied for the best record in the NFL, Went to Detroit, Chicago, NY, DENVER and won. Are undefeated on the road. This guy is the bigges sprotscaster joke i have ever seen.
Old 12-03-2012   #26
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
He's a talk show host, thats about it.

He can say all he wants, so we had two rough games defensively, so what, guess what Jim, we WE STILL WON.....

San Fran, one of his quote unquote contenders:
Lost and tied a 5-6-1 Rams
Lost to a 6-6 Vikings
Lost to a solid GB, and NY
So what makes them a solid contender compared to us.

Denver
Lost to Prentender #1: Houston
Lost to Prentender #2: New England
Lost to a "Contender": Atlanta
In all honesty, Denver scares me, but we still beat them, and matched up well against them, and match ups result in records, and records are what matter, not douche bag hosts.

In what universe do contenders get beat by prentenders and still get to be considered better?

Guys a loser, Houston isn't perfect, but guess what they aren't a prentender, hard to get to 11-1 as a pretender. Only Prentender is this is Jim Rome, so suck it Rome.
San Francisco beat Green Bay, just pointing that out.
Old 12-03-2012   #27
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
San Francisco beat Green Bay, just pointing that out.
Oops, I didn't mean to type GB, I was double checking them on NFL.com, and mixed them up with the Vikes, even though I listed them as well.
Old 12-03-2012   #28
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51680 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-03-2012   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
His reason we are pretenders is because Henne had a good game against us . This dude is a dumb ass.

We are tied for the best record in the NFL, Went to Detroit, Chicago, NY, DENVER and won. Are undefeated on the road. This guy is the bigges sprotscaster joke i have ever seen.
His reason the Texans are pretenders is all the injuries on the defense.

CB 1 , 3 , 4 out.
OLB 2 out.
ILB 1 , 2 , 3 out.

Thats a lot of injuries for a team to sustain on one side of the ball and still win against elite competition.

Yes , they beat Denver and Chicago on the road .... but at the time they were healthy.

(I hate Rome , think he's a jackass)

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #30
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

CB 1 , 3 , 4 out.
OLB 2 out.
ILB 1 , 2 , 3 out.

Thats a lot of injuries for a team to sustain on one side of the ball and still win against elite competition.

Yes , they beat Denver and Chicago on the road .... but at the time they were healthy.

considering all starters on D besides cushing will be back by the play-offs should not be reason enough to make us pretenders. Hell look at what we did last year with all the season ending injuries
Old 12-03-2012   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Jim Rome is probably still pissed cus his show was dropped in Houston.
I think he's back on Houston airwaves in January. We have another sports radio station coming, iirc.

Quote:

CB 1 , 3 , 4 out.
OLB 2 out.
ILB 1 , 2 , 3 out.

Exactly. I do not understand the butthurt for a professional sports entertainer doing his job. It's strange to see so many emotional replies because it rocks the boat. Do folks really think the Texans are perfect in every way? We've got flaws, no doubt about it, and Rome is just being Captain Obvious here.

I'm sure the Texans coaches are looking at these problems and trying to figure out ways to strengthen an obvious weakness. Coaches don't have time to be emotional about it.
Old 12-03-2012   #32
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Jim Rome is probably still pissed cus his show was dropped in Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whats In A Name View Post
this

Both of these. I knew he would rue the day he fired Travis Rodgers.... Especially in what was basically Rome's first major market...
Old 12-03-2012   #33
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Peter King's post was even funnier about the Broncos/Pats AFC championship game. Those two teams will likely play each other in the divisional round, and one of those teams is likely going to have to come through Reliant Stadium. Yeah good luck with that.
Old 12-03-2012   #34
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's exactly the reason. And like someone else said, the Texans team that beat the Broncos earlier . . . neither one of them is the same team now.

You have to be both lucky (injuries) and good to make it all the way to the Super Bowl. Yeah, we're good enough, but the luck is showing signs that it is about to run out.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #35
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
That's exactly the reason. And like someone else said, the Texans team that beat the Broncos earlier . . . neither one of them is the same team now.

You have to be both lucky (injuries) and good to make it all the way to the Super Bowl. Yeah, we're good enough, but the luck is showing signs that it is about to run out.
Besides Cushing and now McCain though, none of the injuries we've suffered have been major. Yeah, guys have missed a game or two but by the time the postseason rolls most of the guys who have been out should be ready to go. Hopefully that final game doesn't mean anything either giving us more time to rest our starters.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #36
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Besides Cushing and now McCain though, none of the injuries we've suffered have been major. Yeah, guys have missed a game or two but by the time the postseason rolls most of the guys who have been out should be ready to go. Hopefully that final game doesn't mean anything either giving us more time to rest our starters.
I just wish I could wave that proverbial magic wand to keep any more injuries from taking place but I can't.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anybody got Atlanta as a favorite to be in the Super Bowl?

Anybody?

Anybody?

It's the same thing, except they are playing better now than they did at the beginning of the year.

You know. It would be pretty funny to watch the Falcons win the Super Bowl in the Super Dome. That'll teach them Katrina fans.
Old 12-03-2012   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
considering all starters on D besides cushing will be back by the play-offs should not be reason enough to make us pretenders. Hell look at what we did last year with all the season ending injuries

The best thing for us, is for no one to believe. That's the team that wins. Always. It's always the team that nobody believed in.
Old 12-03-2012   #39
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Can't take most of these guys seriously. They're paid to entertain more than they are to actually analyze and give thoroughly informed opinions.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #40
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

So we have the same record as the Falcons and he calls them a contender and us a pretender, despite the fact that we've looked more impressive then they have. Ok Jim lol.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read