Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2012   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: J.J. Watt fined for hit on Matthew Stafford (15,750)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
The issue here is Watt tackled and it was deemed illegal. The NFL needs to put flags on the QBs if this was worth $15750. He can't hit him low. He can't him high and now he can't hit him in the chest. Where else can he hit him? The released this now so all the talk shows could not hammer the league on this because they know damn well they are in the wrong.

I am stunned, this is such total and complete BS. Everyone needs to tweet Roger he is a moron.
I agree completely, man. It really seems like a hypocritical policy when the league is fining players for hits that are exactly the same as the ones on the videos they send to teams every year showing legal hits.

It does make you wonder if QBs are eventually going to be untouchable. If/when that happens, I stop watching altogether.
Old 11-30-2012   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Just Fk wow !
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #23
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

$10K for an ILLEGAL block ripping someone's knee up and ending their season, $30K for a kick in the jewels that was deemed not intentional but we'll fine him anyway, and now $16K for a LEGAL tackle. This is just getting dumb.

Suh's take down of Schaub where he almost broke his legs in half was way worse than Watt's LEGAL tackle. I've seen scary, violent jerking of the facemask, that don't even get flagged in the game, never get fined. I think it happened to Foster last year against the Ravens. Almost ripped his head off his shoulders, the refs missed it, and I don't recall a fine being levied.

I mean, I'd halfway buy that the league is concerned about safety if they were somewhat consistant with it, but they aren't even close.

Goodell is a joke.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #24
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #25
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Picture of the hit (from PFT). Looks like a textbook clean tackle to me.
Helmet hitting QB's facemask. Fine.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #26
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49424 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Lame.

I seriously am just amazed/pissed with Watt being fined for that hit.

I heard that Stafford suffered severe vaginal bleeding as a result of the hit, so that might have something to do with it.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #27
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Last edited by infantrycak; 11-30-2012 at 08:29 PM.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #28
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Lame.

I heard that Stafford suffered severe vaginal bleeding as a result of the hit, so that might have something to do with it.
And the store was out of Manpax. What a shame.
Old 11-30-2012   #29
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: J.J. Watt fined for hit on Matthew Stafford (15,750)

Makes on sence....no flag on hit...but still gets fined...NFL is overreacting big time.....NFL is getting softer and softer.......by the game....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #30
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Makes on sence....no flag on hit...but still gets fined...NFL is overreacting big time.....NFL is getting softer and softer.......by the game....
Was the same way with the Cushing hit, of course that one looked intentional. I dont see how they can see that hit and say Watt did anything wrong, yet they didnt do anything about SUH almost breaking Schaub in half.
Old 11-30-2012   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dick Butkus was on our airwaves yesterday during one of the afternoon sports shows. They asked him about the 'wussification' of the league, and he said that he can see both sides of it. On the one hand, the league risks over-regulating everything to the point where some of the fundamental aspects are being altered. But, he also understood the drive toward a safer sport as more and more studies are coming out about brain trauma and long-term effects on player health.

He said as along as they tackle, then the basic nature of the sport will stay the same. When they stop tackling and hitting, then we are looking at a completely different game.
Yeah, I heard the interview. Very good info from him.

But something he also said which I have been saying is that players shouldn't be fined for incidental contact to the helmet...

I completely understand and I'm in line with his thinking. You gotta protect guys. But the NFL has shown a pattern of fining guys for physics.

You can't do that. Well...you can...But like I said just won't watch...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #32
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Lame.

Funny.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #33
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL just swinging wild as usual.

This really sounds like some butt hurt Lions at work. Like, boo hoo they came after our guy well we'll get theirs too! Except when we say "incidental contact to the head" we're referring to legal tackles, not man-card violations.

Hey, Brian Cushing, want some motivation to get back in shape and play next year??? Your knee is only worth 10,000. Matt Stafford's facemask is worth 15,000. So.....yeah.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Man-card, LOL. That's a good one.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #35
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Who, exactly, does these reviews and makes these determinations? Is it really Goodell or some committee made up of replacement refs?

Seriously... who, exactly, makes the call?
Old 12-01-2012   #36
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58271 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR View Post
Doesn't really matter to me whether something was flagged or not in a game. Refs make horrible calls all the time. A play should be judged on the merits of the play and not on what the ref thought who got one view of it at full speed from whatever angle he had, if he even saw it all.

I've supported the NFL on a lot of the safety measures. I don't have a problem with asking the secondary to not launch at heads, to not hit the head on blind side blocks when a hard block somewhere less damaging would be plenty, etc.

But this time I'm just beside myself. Watt is pretty much a poster child for the kind of responsible but hard play the NFL wants. This play was a textbook play they should be teaching from, of not aiming high, of tackling the QB's body. It's one thing if a ref in the game can't tell violent vs incidental contact between helmets at full speed. The NFL front office watching on replays have no excuse for getting it this wrong.
Please consider posting at least twice a year now? Repped.
Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Who, exactly, does thesereduce or elim reviews and makes these determinations? Is it really Goodell or some committee made up of replacement refs?

Seriously... who, exactly, makes the call?
NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson, and assistant director of operations Merton Hanks are the ones I believe that review the tape and determine the fines. Ted Cottrell reviews the player appeals.
Old 12-01-2012   #38
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

THis is a joke of a fine.

I haven't thought that Goodell was that bad like others have until earlier this season when it took him so long to get that whole ordeal done with with the officials. That stuff was really effecting the games and costing a lot of people money with the wrong teams winning and everything.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

From PFT.com

Quote:
This year, the fines imposed by the NFL against players who have done things on the field they arguably shouldn’t have done have taken on a bizarre level of specificity.

The specificity comes not on a case-by-case basis, but from the agreement reached by the league and the NFLPA regarding the minimum amounts for various infractions.

Leg whip, roughing the passer? $15,750 minimum.
I disagree with any fine but at least it was the minimum.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read