Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-30-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New Mock 11/30/12

1) Dion Jordan, OLB, OREGON---6'6" 243 lbs

I love him. I'd trade up to get him if needed. Really good athlete. Has shown good coverage out in the slot, good pass rusher from inside and outside. Good in run support. Very long and uses his hands well. Probably a little stronger than he looks. Increases the athleticism of this defense.

2) Robert Lester, SS, BAMA---6'2" 210 lbs

Decent coverage skill, good in run support. Increases the athleticism of this defense. a bit bigger than our current safeties so he may do better against some of the TE's we have trouble with. Player that looks really good to me with room to grow. Would be a great addition to this defense.

3) Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee---6'6" 377lbs

Doesn't move like a 377 pound human being. Shows surprising burst off the ball. Will likely have to lose some weight to be effective in the NFL for more than 1 or 2 plays at a time. But the guy looks really good from what I've watched. A specimen for sure.

3) Sean Porter, OLB/ILB, TAMU---6'2" 230 lbs

Played OLB for A&M in their 34 a year ago. Haven't seen him much this year. But I think he has the skillset to play WILB in Wades Defense and can line up outside sometimes to rush if needed. 6'2 230 pounds with room to add a little weight. Good speed, good agility, good in space and shows a burst when getting to the football.

4) KenJon Barner, RB/KR---5'11" 190 lbs

Good Runner. Good Kick returner. Bolsters the RB position for the future and gives another KR/PR option. Very fast, good vision. Catches well.

5) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU---6'8" 275 lbs

Freak.

Quote:
Hunt, a 6-8, 275-pound monster from Estonia with 4.6 40 speed and incredible strength, hadn’t played football before arriving in Dallas. But he walked on as a freshman and made an immediate special-teams impact—he blocked seven kicks that season, one short of the NCAA record—and has developed into a nearly unstoppable defensive end.

Will probably rise after the combine...But I'd still look to grab him and let him learn behind the guys we have.

Last edited by Rey; 11-30-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock 11/30/12

5) Johnny Adams, CB, Michigan STATE---5'11" 178 lbs

Just a good overall player IMO. Hard nosed. Good in man and zone coverage. Not overly flashy, but gets the job done. Has come up with a few picks as a college ball player, but the thing I like most is how he attacks QB's on blitzes and RB's on runs. The guy is a baller. I don't see McCain back here next year and this guy would bolster the CB position.

6) Corey Fuller, WR, VA Tech---6'2" 196 lbs

Low 4.4 guy, good size. Transfer guy that walked onto the football team. Ran track before playing football but this is his second year and he has been productive. I really like this guy as a late round prospect.

7) Manase Foketi, OT, West Texas A&M---6'5" 320 lbs

Started off at Kansas State. Went through an ugly divorce with the school and Eventually wound up in Texas. Played left tackle. Has good feet and good strength. Big time project but the ability is there. Needs help with technique.

Some measurements from his junior pro day
Old 11-30-2012   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

OK...Let 'er rip....
Old 11-30-2012   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Like it! Will post detailed feedback when time allows. However thing that jumps out is fact you have two/different Ducks in your mock. Really like all four & you have them projected about right

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

JMO:

1. Jordan, very good player and athlete with tons of potential but I don't think OLB is even close to a 1st round need even if we lose Barwin to FA. Like the player but not the pick for the Texans. I think he's a bit of a project player since he needs to add some bulk and thus don't think he's a 1st rounder.
2. Lester, this pick and the Jordan pick tell me that you think we're losing Barwin and Quin to FA, again another very good player but I just don't see the need since I think we re-sign Quin. If we do lose Quin to FA then this is an excellent pick.
3. McCullers, this is the only pick I really have trouble with. He's way to tall for the NT position in the NFL where leverage is so important. OG/C will easily get under his pads and stand him up and move him around. NT is a game of leverage and this guys going to lose that battle.
3. Porter, I like him at WILB and good size for the position. Good pick.
4. Barner, I'll have to trust you on this one, I haven't looked at RB's.
5. Hunt, I like him as depth at DE since we don't know if Jamison will come back from the achilles injury or not. His size at DE offers lots of potential at the position. Good pick, good round. I haven't seen him play. How athletic or stiff is he?
5. Adams, I like him alot and had him in my most recent mock. Good size, speed, and athleticism for CB. I think we lose McCain to FA and Harris will move up to nickle, Adams then fills his spot as CB depth where he can learn for a yr. or so. I'd take him in the 4th though due to the premium put on CB's in the draft. If he's still available, it's a great pick and great value.
6. Fuller, I like this pick, good WR depth late in the draft, good value down here.
7. Foketi, I never heard of him but I like the position chosen, don't know anything about him.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
JMO:

1. Jordan, very good player and athlete with tons of potential but I don't think OLB is even close to a 1st round need even if we lose Barwin to FA. Like the player but not the pick for the Texans. I think he's a bit of a project player since he needs to add some bulk and thus don't think he's a 1st rounder.
2. Lester, this pick and the Jordan pick tell me that you think we're losing Barwin and Quin to FA, again another very good player but I just don't see the need since I think we re-sign Quin. If we do lose Quin to FA then this is an excellent pick.
3. McCullers, this is the only pick I really have trouble with. He's way to tall for the NT position in the NFL where leverage is so important. OG/C will easily get under his pads and stand him up and move him around. NT is a game of leverage and this guys going to lose that battle.
3. Porter, I like him at WILB and good size for the position. Good pick.
4. Barner, I'll have to trust you on this one, I haven't looked at RB's.
5. Hunt, I like him as depth at DE since we don't know if Jamison will come back from the achilles injury or not. His size at DE offers lots of potential at the position. Good pick, good round. I haven't seen him play. How athletic or stiff is he?
5. Adams, I like him alot and had him in my most recent mock. Good size, speed, and athleticism for CB. I think we lose McCain to FA and Harris will move up to nickle, Adams then fills his spot as CB depth where he can learn for a yr. or so. I'd take him in the 4th though due to the premium put on CB's in the draft. If he's still available, it's a great pick and great value.
6. Fuller, I like this pick, good WR depth late in the draft, good value down here.
7. Foketi, I never heard of him but I like the position chosen, don't know anything about him.
Well this is my thinking with the first two picks.

Our defense hasn't been that great as of late. Quinn is a nice player and I want him back. But he has limitations. He struggles with big te's in coverage. But I'm not saying start this guy over Quinn. We play three safeties a lot. Lester would be a good replacement in the case of an injury, but even if no one is injured be will still see plenty snaps in regular defensive sets and on special teams. He adds athleticism and versatility to our defense.

And maybe with his size and athleticism maybe we can groom him for that joker role that Quinn plays when we go with three safeties.

As for for Jordan....did I mention I love his game? I wouldn't bring barwin back. That's tough for me to say, because I do think barwin is a good player. I actually think be is a better player than reed and if there was a way to trade reed and keep barwin at a reasonable contract to play solb then I'd do it.

But on to Jordan....the guy is a versatile player. Again, IMO, adding him and Lester to this defense along with some of the other guys I mentioned would infuse is with young, athletic talent.

I see Jordan as a guy that would play solb primarily because he can drop into coverage and would easily be our best coverage Olb. I've seen this guy out in the slot covering te's in man press technique. Surprisingly fluid with good feet in coverage. At 6'6" with that kind of wiry athleticism he too could help cover some of those big te's we have trouble with. I also see him on the strong side because he's good against the run.

He uses those long arms to keep blockers out of his body and he's stronger than he looks. Doesn't stay engaged with linemen for long. Once he diagnoses a play he's shedding the lineman and going to the ball. He's a better player than Brooks reed. And I think he can easily surpass barwin.

And I've watched him on film and I didn't see him take plays off. He's a high motor guy and I dont know of any major character issues either.

And the thing is he can also slide over to the weak-side if need be to be a primary pass rusher. I've seen him lined up in the middle and at de with his hand in the dirt.

Our olb's have been underwhelming this year. It's no secret that I'm not a big merciless fan, but I don't think this pick would jeopardize his growth. I see this move as maybe they can both be our future starters...definitely see Jordan as a future starter.

Regarding need, I think we direly need more from the Olb position. They still have a ways to go to reverse some of the opinions about them but if barwin has a good post season which puts him I the market for big money that's even more reason to let him go.

The way we are set up, this defense needs a bunch of high end talent whereas our offense can thrive with players that simply fit what they do.

I think we can come back with virtually the same offense next year and I'd be 100 percent fine with that. Your young o linemen with all that upside will have had one more year in the system...newton, Brooks, jones...and your young wr's will not be rookies anymore. Andre is still going to be good next year and walter will still be a good player. The young guys should start contributing more. Bring Casey back, Grahm should be back...foster, Tate if you want him...I drafted a rb that is capable as well...

But the way we want to play with our defense smothering people and our offense methodically going about their business...I think these guts are a need and would be assets....

The NT...he is tall...but so were those two guys Jacksonville had a while back...watt is pretty tall to and he does ok when he's inside because he plays with good pad level. If he keeps his pads down he'll be fine. Plus the dude is literally almost 400 lbs. Even if he was in a wheel barrow that's a lot of weight to move around multiple times during a game.

Running plays up the middle would be a whole lot harder. He's not some big do nothing either. Big boy moves well. Watch some clips of him on YouTube.

Marcus hunt. I like him a lot. He's going to be a bit of a project because he's kind of new to football. But the first time I saw him at was last year and he jumps of the screen. 1) he dominates o linemen, 2) his freakish size and athleticism are hard to miss.

I think he also blocked a kick that game. But no he's not stiff. Moves well, does a good job staying low...but he needs some technique...

I think these guys would help us in making another superbowl run next year. I think they'd make us a whole lot better on defense and with luck in our division we'd have some young defenders to grow as he grows.
Old 12-01-2012   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like the Mock overall but I personally dont think Robert Lester is there for us at the end of the second round. Maybe we get some comp picks and trade up 10-15 spots for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2012   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the catch , if he's closer to Aldon Smith or Jason Pierre-Paul he won't be there . If he's there , like Whitney M , then there's a reason . I agree that Barwin and Quinn will not be resigned . I think Cody is a FA also .

I think , like your draft that they have a base for the defense and they can bring in rookies for less money and eventually get better . I do like the fact you look for athletic guys to groom .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Alabama vs Georgia this afternoon will be sure to watch Lestar. Georgia QB Murray likes to throw it up, ala Brees so will see exactly how good he is in coverage. Also check out Bama RT Flucker both me & Doppleganger have him mocked to Texans 2nd rd. Later tonight my #1 player prospect for Texans, Xavier Rhodes, FSU play against Georgia Tech in ACC Championship on ESPN.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-01-2012   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What about this guy in the 2nd ? Watching him run that dummy drill , dudes got a smooth gait . That and he threw the blocking sled over . If he can't play OLB , put 20 lbs on him .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUa5XMyMzxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 12-01-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2012   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
What about this guy in the 2nd ? Watching him run that dummy drill , dudes got a smooth gait . That and he threw the blocking sled over . If he can't play OLB , put 20 lbs on him .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUa5XMyMzxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk
You would have to sub Ansah for Jordan with the first pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-01-2012   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
You would have to sub Ansah for Jordan with the first pick
Ansah plays a lot heavier than Jordan . I think you need that strength as an OLB in a 3/4 .

Round Dan
Old 12-01-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Ansah plays a lot heavier than Jordan . I think you need that strength as an OLB in a 3/4 .
He doesn't look like a 34 Olb to me in the NFL.

He looks like a DE...definitely very strong...would not be upset with the pick at all, but he looks like a d lineman and not an Olb.

at 6'6" 270"lbs I think he could play de in wades system. Bulk up a little bit and he and Jj watt could give offenses headaches.

I still like Jordan more, but wouldn't be upset at all with ansah.
Old 12-01-2012   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

He looks like a DE...definitely very strong...would not be upset with the pick at all, but he looks like a d lineman and not an Olb.

at 6'6" 270"lbs I think he could play de in wades system. Bulk up a little bit and he and Jj watt could give offenses headaches.

Haven't seen a bunch of Jordan but what I did see , I thought he was more finesse .

Round Dan
Old 12-01-2012   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

Wade would use Ansah just like he used Mario Williams @ OLB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-01-2012   #16
Rock N Randy
Legend

Rep Power: 5405 Rock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty much a defensive draft. Not very realistic.

You have OLB that are 235 which are more 43 backers or mainly Tampa 2 backers. A huge NT which is uncertain in our scheme.

And are top 4 picks are all defense. when are offense needs depth and help more.

I like most of the players selected but I don't see them as texans.
Rock N Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N Randy View Post

You have OLB that are 235 which are more 43 backers or mainly Tampa 2 backers. A huge NT which is uncertain in our scheme.

And are top 4 picks are all defense. when are offense needs depth and help more.

Interesting comment in bold but I am asking you to defend you POV and explain why by position, please.
Old 12-01-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N Randy View Post

Last year was about as offensive heavy of a draft that we've had under kubiak.

I wouldnt get used to that.

We don't have a lot of turnover on offense usually. Last year losing briesel and Winston was pretty rare. Then we cut jacoby.

On defense more guys tend to play as well.

Our offense is going to remain largely in tact next year IMO. We have barwin, Cody, Quinn, McCain, James, dobbins (all key contributors) coming up on contracts.

You have reed, Cushing, Tim Jamison and jjo all dealing with some kind of injury.

I think we should be looking at a defensive heavy draft.

Only real thing you can say the offense really needs is maybe a tackle and a top flight wr. But I personally don't see either one if those as bigger issues than what we have in defense.

And I said that the small lb you are talking about could play inside. He's about the same weight as sharpton.

But besides that, watch players play. People said the sane thing about Von miller coming out. People said Bruce Irvin couldn't be effective and would get swallowed. One if those guys is a stud and the other is has had a good rookie season. Dwight freeney and Mathis were too small too.

Good coaches can take talented players and put them in position to be effective.
Old 12-01-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Wade would use Ansah just like he used Mario Williams @ OLB
Maybe.....

But Merciless is in that role as the wolb and primary rush Olb.

Are you going to drop this guy in coverage more? Or are you going to move merciless to the strong side and ask him to be the run stopper and play over the TE?

I think Jordan is a damn near perfect prospect for the texans solb.
Old 12-01-2012   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
1) Dion Jordan, OLB, OREGON---6'6" 243 lbs

I love him. I'd trade up to get him if needed. Really good athlete. Has shown good coverage out in the slot, good pass rusher from inside and outside. Good in run support. Very long and uses his hands well. Probably a little stronger than he looks. Increases the athleticism of this defense.
Whoa..... what the... 6'6" 243??

Don't know if I ever seen anything like that at LB. Very small frame. If he's strong enough to set the edge, I could see him as a SAM, he could be the answer to your Grahams & Gronks.

I haven't seen him play, but with that length, he could be hell coming off the edge on the weakside......

interesting

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read