Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-29-2012   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Getting into College ball

I'd recommend Notre Dame if you are in Wales. I can't imagine you will consistently see many games of other teams in that part of the world, unless you are OK with streaming them over the net illegally and at poor quality. Also there's a good chance you're Catholic, so if you are that's a plus for ND. They played a game in Ireland this past year, so if they continue to do that, you might be able to easily make one of their games.

Other than accessibility, I can't really think of a defining factor to choose another team aside from interesting players. Obviously Texas A&M will be interesting with Manziel at QB for the next 2-3 years, but I doubt you will see more than 1-2 of their games on TV in Wales. USC has a great WR in Lee who will be entertaining to watch, possibly a #1 pick in the making. Oregon has a bright future with an excellent freshman QB and an entertaining spread offense. He should be one of the Heisman frontrunners next year.

Lots to choose from if you didn't attend an American college, the field is wide open.
Old 11-29-2012   #22
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't a college ball fan till I lived in Nebraska.

Now I am a Huskers fan through and through.

The college game day experience is approximately 1,701,423 times better than the NFL (in my limited experience). The football is ALOT worse than the pros but you get that with all lower tier competitions (like Heineken Cup vs. Super Rugby).

Pick a school with tradition.

And don't pick the Longhorns.

Go Big Red.
Old 11-30-2012   #23
CDNTexansFan
GloverQuinFan

Rep Power: 0 CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan

Being from Canada, I've had the same issue trying to pick a college team. Years ago, when I first started following college ball, I decided to follow USC because my own high school mascot was the Trojan. That lasted all of one season as they won the National Championship with Bush/Leinart and I couldn't help but feel turned off by the fact I was jumping on a teams bandwagon during such a successful period in their history. It just didn't feel right. Following that, I went back to becoming a college football nomad and a casual fan until three seasons ago when my good friend moved in with me. He's a diehard Florida St fan and got me into the NCAA game more than ever before. It was here that I decided to make a list of desirable qualities I wanted in a team. This is what I wanted...

-Close enough to comfortably travel on a yearly/bi-yearly basis to catch a home game
-Relevant conference = nationally televised games occasionally
-Nice jerseys/gear
-Track record of sending guys to the pros (at least occasionally)
-Not a national powerhouse, but...
-Could someday put together a program that could contend for a major bowl.

I was initially drawn to Tennessee. Calgary-Knoxville can be done in 6 hours with a layover in Denver, they're always on TV, I love the orange. They seemed like an ideal program to grow with as they tried to rebuild. Unfortunately, Lane Kiffin started spouting off around the same time and I was so disgusted his arrogance and what was coming out of his mouth that I was totally turned off to the program.

After further consideration, I found Cal. Calgary- San Fran is a direct flight for me which is convenient. Living out west we got a ton of Pac-10 (12) games on tv. I think their jerseys look really sharp. They send lots of guys to play on Sunday which has made NFL games even more interesting for me. Mostly tho, I love that they have so much untapped potential as a program given their close proximity to star recruits and the quality of their recently renovated stadium/athletic facilities. They're in the dumps right now thanks to the Tedford/Maynard/Allen debacle this season but with a good coach their is no reason they couldn't rise up and play with the big dogs again.

Anyways, this has become long-winded but I definitely recommend getting into college ball. Following recruiting for your team in late December/January is an absolute rollercoaster with guys committing/decommitting on an almost daily basis. It is unlike anything the NFL has to offer and the drama of it all is immense. Extremely entertaining.

Good luck! Let us know who you decide on. More importantly, don't feel bad if you don't "click" with the first team you decide. Over time you will find a program that just feels right.
CDNTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #24
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Simply put. Austin, TX. You really need to visit one of the best and coolest cities in America when you come for a visit. Texas Longhorns are the perfect excuse.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #25
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Simply put. Austin, TX. You really need to visit one of the best and coolest cities in America when you come for a visit. Texas Longhorns are the perfect excuse.
And when you get here be prepared to hear how much Austin loves Austin.

"Coolest cities." Austin has it's good points and bad points, nothing special. When you get to the city limits you'll see a sign, "Welcome to Austin, Home Of Austin, The Most Stuck Up City In America."
Old 12-01-2012   #26
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is Welsh? He needs to let us know what he is thinking.
Old 12-01-2012   #27
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

Where is Welsh? He needs to let us know what he is thinking.
his coming takes a while for the poms!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #28
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I wasn't a college ball fan till I lived in Nebraska.

Now I am a Huskers fan through and through.

The college game day experience is approximately 1,701,423 times better than the NFL (in my limited experience). The football is ALOT worse than the pros but you get that with all lower tier competitions (like Heineken Cup vs. Super Rugby).

Pick a school with tradition.

And don't pick the Longhorns.

Go Big Red.
I'm watching them getting their ***** handed to 'em. The JJ Watt Badgers are slaughtering them.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #29
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was in a restaurant in Austin and one of the guys there was watching the LSU A&M game cheering for LSU. Dude had a Longhorns t-shirt on. People in Austin have a horrible case of ex-girlfriend-itis. All my Longhorn buddies from high school do. I remember the crap they gave me when A&M transitioned to the SEC. One of them was so bold as to say that the Aggies wouldn't win a single game.

Fortunately they all owe me money now, because A&M finished the season ranked higher than UT. Most enjoyable 500 bucks I've ever made xD
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #30
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I would tell OP to become a Longhorns fan but since I'm a fan myself who's considering to stop rooting for the program all together, I cant do that. At least not until mack leaves.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #31
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
I would tell OP to become a Longhorns fan but since I'm a fan myself who's considering to stop rooting for the program all together, I cant do that. At least not until mack leaves.
Ash and McCoy are terrible, i like the rest of the talent they have but them 2 are the worst duo of college QBs i have ever seen.
Old 12-06-2012   #32
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, that defense was supposed to be better than what showed up... I think it might be a coaching issue. Longhorns could use a new coach, but I don't know if Mack is headed anywhere tbh
Old 12-06-2012   #33
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Well, that defense was supposed to be better than what showed up... I think it might be a coaching issue. Longhorns could use a new coach, but I don't know if Mack is headed anywhere tbh
Mack is not going anywhere, they just need to get away from the buddy system, McCoys brother, Shipleys brother. Just cause they are related dont mean they're good.
Old 12-06-2012   #34
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Mack is not going anywhere, they just need to get away from the buddy system, McCoys brother, Shipleys brother. Just cause they are related dont mean they're good.
They could also use a viable QB. Haven't had one since Colt.
Old 12-06-2012   #35
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Ash is the worst College QB i have ever seen. Just terrible
Old 12-07-2012   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They had it good for so many years they now are tasting what it is like without. They need another Earl Campbell
Old 12-07-2012   #37
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i find it sometimes difficult to watch college ball because i find my self constantly say "that wouldnt happen in the NFL".
I do watch college though because its american football and also to watch out for the next stars.
I support ND but not a massive supporter, i also look at the results of the aggies and longhorns and hope they do well because they are texas teams and so many on this board follow them.

I picked ND because of the tradition/history of the school. the colours and many of the rituals that they have i found really interesting. thats how i made my decision.

And a very fine decision to be sure.

Great year to be a Texan and Irish fan. Been a long time coming to be able to say that.

Old 12-07-2012   #38
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Ash is the worst College QB i have ever seen. Just terrible
where were you in 2010?
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #39
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm watching them getting their ***** handed to 'em. The JJ Watt Badgers are slaughtering them.
The sooner the T-Magic era ends the better.

That loss against Wisconsin was EMBARRASSING.
Old 12-08-2012   #40
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
They had it good for so many years they now are tasting what it is like without. They need another Earl Campbell
Yep. I'm glad A&M left the Big XII, because of the brand recognition we're getting. I have no ill will to UT, they offer a great education and are pretty much allied with us in everything but athletics, and hope we play against each other preferably while I'm still in college and have student tickets lol.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read