Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2012   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brandon Harris fined $21,000 for hit on DET return man.

So Brandon Harris was fined $21,000 for his hit on a returner deemed defenseless.

Defenseless is a little strong, as many have point out he could have called for a fair catch.

Also I find it strange that a guy gets fined 21k for a hit that was technically a half a second early, compared to a kick in the sack that was almost certainly on purpose that only cost 30k. One guy plays hard and is accidentally early in a unit of time that is impossible by most humans to do anything about, versus a conscious decision.

However what truely pisses me off is how ignorant the NFL is to how fines affect players. It should be proportional to salary. 21k for Brandon Harris is a fortune for an accident, while 30k for Suh a pre Rookie Salary Cap 1st rounder is not that big a deal. If I made 5 million a year, I would play however I wanted until the fines started racking up, then possibly changed, but if I was a league minimum guy, I would have to really think about how I played, which could end up getting me cut.

If the NFL truely cared about safety they would make things more fair for the lower salary guys.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ions-returner/
Old 11-29-2012   #2
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Harris fined $21,000 for hot on DET return man.

That stinks for Harris. The guy didn't call fair catch and he timed it perfectly. I think it was a legal and fair hit.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That's crazy man LOL; what a joke!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

so now i think u have to let the reciver catch the ball place his shoulders down and make one step

so no matter what there is no way to make positive play on a punt the punt returner will make at least one yard unless he makes a boo boo
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
so now i think u have to let the reciver catch the ball place his shoulders down and make one step

so no matter what there is no way to make positive play on a punt the punt returner will make at least one yard unless he makes a boo boo
I think we've seen McMannis & Ball prove that false plenty of times. Don't hit him in the head.... that's all there is to it. If Harris would have anticipated the ball being somewhere between the receiver's elbows & aimed his helmet there, the ball would have come out, we would have recovered & everything would have been everything.

But he didn't. He hit him in the head. Every week we see at least one gunner knock the ever-living-snot out of a return man who doesn't get flagged for a penalty, or end up getting fined.

As far as the disproportionate fine relative to suh's, if the league had been telling players not to kick each other in the cup for the past 3+ years, I'm sure suh's fine would have been more.
Old 11-29-2012   #6
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn typo, I submitted before double checking, I had to leave my office and didn't want to start over. Hot was obviousley suppossed to be "hit".
Old 11-29-2012   #7
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Damn typo, I submitted before double checking, I had to leave my office and didn't want to start over. Hot was obviousley suppossed to be "hit".
At least it wasn't embarrassing like one or two of my thread title typos were. The way the NFL hands it out these days we knew you meant "hit."
Old 11-29-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a pretty big fine just for being attracted to another player.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #9
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

Helmet to Helmet on a defenseless receiver is not allowed. The rule sucks but that's the rule. Hit him in the chest, no penalty and no fine, and probably Houston's ball at that point in the game.
Old 11-29-2012   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if Harris has the hots for the guy i think he deserves the fine "Girlfriends....snap"
Old 11-29-2012   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
So Brandon Harris was fined $21,000 for his hit on a returner deemed defenseless.

Defenseless is a little strong, as many have point out he could have called for a fair catch.

Also I find it strange that a guy gets fined 21k for a hit that was technically a half a second early, compared to a kick in the sack that was almost certainly on purpose that only cost 30k. One guy plays hard and is accidentally early in a unit of time that is impossible by most humans to do anything about, versus a conscious decision.

However what truely pisses me off is how ignorant the NFL is to how fines affect players. It should be proportional to salary. 21k for Brandon Harris is a fortune for an accident, while 30k for Suh a pre Rookie Salary Cap 1st rounder is not that big a deal. If I made 5 million a year, I would play however I wanted until the fines started racking up, then possibly changed, but if I was a league minimum guy, I would have to really think about how I played, which could end up getting me cut.

If the NFL truely cared about safety they would make things more fair for the lower salary guys.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ions-returner/

Someone should inform Goodell that Suh should have been fined for at least the same amount as Harris. After all, the rule relates to hitting the the player in the "head."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #12
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are they using penalties meant for repeat offenders on a guy who just began his career and made one honest mistake?
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #13
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

That is DUMB.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Brandon Harris fined $21,000 for hot on DET return man.
Which makes perfect sense.... I mean after all Slauson got a $10k fine for ending Cushing's season!

Old 11-30-2012   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

My beef is the amount. 21k for a first offense and as close to legal as it was is freaking stupid. That has to be most of his game check, if not all.
Old 11-30-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yuck.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #17
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Which makes perfect sense.... I mean after all Slauson got a $10k fine for ending Cushing's season!

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #18
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

So Harris was "Hot" for this guy? What did he do ask for his number? Did Harris use Viagra? Was it over aggressive butt grabbing? (aka PPat butt grab)
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

It's just plain ridiculous, man. I know the league wants high flying offenses and all that jazz. But man, at least show a little consistency. I'm beginning to wonder if they use some sort of procedure to come up with fine amounts or just pull numbers out their arse.

I understand there's a select few that deserve every fine that has come their way, but Harris was a first offender. Stupid!
Old 11-30-2012   #20
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fines and suspensions are determined by a giant wheel spun by the commissioner, wherever the wheel lands seals your fate.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read