Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2012   #141
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Besides Watt, D-line simply just not getting done this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Watt sack right before Barwin can get sack.
Well why don't Barwin try to get one before Watt. Or get one on a play that Watt doesn't. There were plenty of opportunities while Mathew Stafford was building a freak'n house in the pocket.
Old 11-22-2012   #142
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
it has got to be the scheme.
So we spend a first round pick on a Olb who's specialty is supposed to be rushing the passer only to employ a scheme that calls for him not to rush the passer?

I'm not buying that.

I see them rushing the passer but just not getting results.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #143
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

In the postgame conference, JJ Watt said it himself. The D-line needs to step it up and put some pressure on the QB.
Old 11-22-2012   #144
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 10194 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
In the postgame conference, JJ Watt said it himself. The D-line needs to step it up and put some pressure on the QB.
I'm worried about the lack of qb pressure from our OLB's, they are not getting it done. Watt can only do so much, and with him getting double teamed so much on of those guys needs to find a way through. If it continues that could possibly cost us during the playoffs.
Old 11-22-2012   #145
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
I'm worried about the lack of qb pressure from our OLB's, they are not getting it done. Watt can only do so much, and with him getting double teamed so much on of those guys needs to find a way through. If it continues that could possibly cost us during the playoffs.
Especially when they are sitting back there for 5+ seconds
Old 11-22-2012   #146
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
So we spend a first round pick on a Olb who's specialty is supposed to be rushing the passer only to employ a scheme that calls for him not to rush the passer?

I'm not buying that.

I see them rushing the passer but just not getting results.
You don't need to buy anything.
; just go back and study all the draft picks and FA signings Wade had over the years.

On the front seven, he had an excellent record how he make use of the guys.
Overall, he kinda luck out/inherit some great safeties, or get a good FA signing.
Didn't do as well with the CBs.

I am 200% sure; I had spent a lot of time learning about Wade's history.

Check it out!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #147
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah barwin and reed have been getting zero to no pressure all season compared to last season when they were in the back field for what seemed like every play.
Old 11-22-2012   #148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The one thing I will bet on, if Wade has a healthy JJo and Kjax as of today, he will be able to bring on everything he ever wants in his playbook. No freaking doubt.

I'm lucky enough to have a good collection of games to watch.
And that was why I was so positive when we signed JJo over Aso.

Pull it up in the archive and see how many times I said Aso was over-rated.
Damn sure I ticked a lot of people off, too.
Old 11-22-2012   #149
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Aso was not over-rated. He is being played in the wrong system for his strengths. Our system suits him much better.

That isn't to say he is better than JJo for us, just I bet Nnamdi would be a lot better looking in our system and Wade would love to have him as well. We did after all make a run at him presumably with Wade's concurrence.
Old 11-22-2012   #150
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The one thing I will bet on, if Wade has a healthy JJo and Kjax as of today, he will be able to bring on everything he ever wants in his playbook. No freaking doubt.

I'm lucky enough to have a good collection of games to watch.
And that was why I was so positive when we signed JJo over Aso.

Damn sure I ticked a lot of people off, too.
I think if Aso had signed here he would be a much better players. I think both our offense and defense get the best out of players because both kubiak and wade understand 1) the nuances of NFL playcalling and 2) how to put players in position to succeed
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012   #151
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Well why don't Barwin try to get one before Watt. Or get one on a play that Watt doesn't. There were plenty of opportunities while Mathew Stafford was building a freak'n house in the pocket.
I believe that was Detroit 1st offensive snap. After which Lions OL played pretty darn well at least better than I expected. Most of my posts in this thread were live game reactions to plays on the field (instead of posting in gameday thread) so pretty reactionary. Overall Wade uses Barwin like a DE often times falling back into coverage, he is just not dedicated to rushing near enough IMO.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #152
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 20467 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Figured I would put this here instead of starting a whole new thread. There was a nice write up by Pete Prisco breaking down some of the issues on the Texans defense

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...texans-defense

The pass rush simply is not there on those edges. Barwin and Reed are not winning one on one and that has been the case for bit now this year. As one photo in that article shows, Watt is getting double teammed and everyone else is one on one. They need to win those.

Maybe fresh legs will help with Mercilus and Braman when he gets his opportunities. Hopefully that will be the case because these guys need to take advantage of the attention Watt is generating. Plus the secondary needs the help because McCain has been getting beat like a rag doll this year.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #153
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Figured I would put this here instead of starting a whole new thread. There was a nice write up by Pete Prisco breaking down some of the issues on the Texans defense

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...texans-defense
Good read. However, he's just guessing like we are. For example, he blames Demps for this

Which is possible. However, with 4 guys on the right side of the defense & the middle void of any Texans player, I would bet one of those LBs was supposed to drop to the middle. It looks like one LB has pretty good "man" coverage on a TE (maybe). My guess would be that he should have dropped (since that is where Quin came from) & that TE was should have been released to the other LB already on that side. Also being the LBs were just thrown into this game, I can easily understand blown responsibilities by this group.

I'm glad that he recognized the lack of pass rush as the biggest problem. But showing stills of one on one plays don't tell the whole story.
Old 11-29-2012   #154
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2679 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it since the Preseason that the OLB were not looking good in their pass rush and it could be a concern. Its unfortunately been even worse then I thought...
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #155
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching the Packers again the other night I thought to myself why we couldn't get to Rodgers (except Watt's 2 sacks) like every other team in the NFL has been. I'm not going to pretend I have the answer as to why, but our edge rushers need to start doing something, period.
Old 11-29-2012   #156
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
After watching the Packers again the other night I thought to myself why we couldn't get to Rodgers (except Watt's 2 sacks) like every other team in the NFL has been. I'm not going to pretend I have the answer as to why, but our edge rushers need to start doing something, period.
It was even worse in the Bears game, supposedly the worse pass pro team in the league! I'm really hoping Merci is the answer.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #157
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
It was even worse in the Bears game, supposedly the worse pass pro team in the league! I'm really hoping Merci is the answer.
I kinda discount the Bears game due to horrible field conditions, but I hear ya.

Merci against the run scares me
Old 11-29-2012   #158
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It's ok guys, the lack of pass rush from other players allows Watt more time to get to the QB and get sacks. This will help his MVP bid, but next year we will have to address this. Not much we can do at this point anyways, unless it's a matter of changing the scheme.
Old 11-29-2012   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Well, the problem here is that Watt got to the QB in less than 1-1/2 second.
Let's say that Watt is a more normal DE who only push the pocket, or in this case, he beat his man to the outside to force the QB up the pocket.
Barwin would have met Stafford in less than 2 secs; which is plenty good for an outside rusher. Barwin had beat his man to the inside.
Old 11-29-2012   #160
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It's ok guys, the lack of pass rush from other players allows Watt more time to get to the QB and get sacks. This will help his MVP bid, but next year we will have to address this. Not much we can do at this point anyways, unless it's a matter of changing the scheme.
I don't know if you have to change the entire scheme but I'm hoping Phillips can add some sort of wrinkles into the defense in order to generate more pressure. Problem is, if guys aren't beating the 1-on-1 blocks then the pass rush is probably not going to look very improved.

As I heard on local radio not too long ago, Connor Barwin is dropping millions of dollars onto the field from his pockets with every game he plays. Sucks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read