Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2012   #101
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Kubiak hints at Tate starting over Foster
Not any different than my thoughts then.
About opportunities.

And even then, you have to take the daily grind.
Having a few good performances on game day is not enough to be a real pro.

Watch AJ for example. It's all about consistency, and by that I mean every day in practice, too.

There are guys that stick seems like forever like Nading; and what about that "white" dude who was with us a few years ago, a D lineman past his prime that Kubiak couldn't rave about enough how well he had been able to take of his body and his mindset come every camp?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #102
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, CND, Foster was really gimpy the first 3 or 4 weeks of last season. Which included the Dolphins game during Week 2. I remember it because I had drafted Tate in a FFL because of Foster's hammy issues he had suffered off and on throughout camp and even the preseason games that led up to the 2011 Reg Season. I figured I could get Tate's production for the first several games, and I did. After Foster came back, though, Tate's numbers regressed immediately.

In fact, Foster's hamstring was acting up as early as JULY 18th according to a Bleacher Report rumor article, specifically the speculation that it would have a tendency to linger if not treated properly. Link to article HERE.

In this NBC Sports article, Foster had aggravated the left hamstring in a preseason game. The hammy cost him half of August. Link HERE.

He had only 10 carries for 33 yards in Week 2 of the reg season vs. Dolphins, sitting out the entire 2nd half. The hamstring was still a major problem because he was sidelined completely the next week vs. the Saints. Link HERE.

So what we learned from that is this: Foster was effectively invisible for July, August, and the first month of the 2011 reg season...Tate misses 3 games in a 4-week stretch (Bills, Bye week, Jags, Lions)...and Kubiak is unhappy with Tate for essentially the same thing Foster dealt with on a much longer timeframe in 2011.

All signs point toward Tate and his agent making it clear that Tate really should be getting a chance to start (somewhere) and that he's basically biding his time here in Houston. If I were the Texans, I would seek a trading partner in the offseason and get some draft day collateral out of him/ Otherwise, he's going to be gimpy and a bit unreliable in 2013 in his last year here. Get something before he goes on his own, that's my take on it.
Old 11-28-2012   #103
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
...what about that "white" dude who was with us a few years ago, a D lineman past his prime
Jeff Zgonina.
Old 11-28-2012   #104
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
conspiracy theory: he's been out all year for the purpose of having a fresh back for the playoffs.

Of course not. He's been out because he's hurt but that doesn't mean that given this particular crate of lemons the Texans aren't going to try to get the best lemonade possible out of the situation. There's 5 games left. They're 10-1 and Foster & Forsett (Attorneys at Law?) are getting it done. Why wouldn't the team be thinking "Fine, he hasn't healed quickly. At this point lets just get him back when he's 100% for the playoffs"?
Old 11-28-2012   #105
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Jeff Zgonina.
Bingo.

Thanks!

Saw him at TC his last two years.
Looks like a guy in mid 20s.
I said to myself right there and then.
Yeah, I can see why you make the roster.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #106
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Paging Derrick Ward.....

Seriously. If he's stayed in shape, he could get signed back to the team IF we needed him down the road. Crazier things have happened.

If I'm Rick Smith, I'm putting a bug in Ward's ear that it is always wise to be getting into shape in December. Ask Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme.

Ben Tate, I'm not sure he's Grade A starter material. The injuries, the lack of being "the guy" for several games week in and week out, the fact that he's on a helluva' team right now AND benefits from the change of pace he has in terms of teams facing Foster most of the game. I'm skeptical he's starter quality. Helluva' RB, no doubt.
Old 11-28-2012   #107
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
All signs point toward Tate and his agent making it clear that Tate really should be getting a chance to start (somewhere) and that he's basically biding his time here in Houston. If I were the Texans, I would seek a trading partner in the offseason and get some draft day collateral out of him/ Otherwise, he's going to be gimpy and a bit unreliable in 2013 in his last year here. Get something before he goes on his own, that's my take on it.
I've though similarly along those lines as well. Guess we'll know/see when it all shakes out.

Quote:
Ben Tate, I'm not sure he's Grade A starter material. The injuries, the lack of being "the guy" for several games week in and week out, the fact that he's on a helluva' team right now AND benefits from the change of pace he has in terms of teams facing Foster most of the game. I'm skeptical he's starter quality. Helluva' RB, no doubt.
Not so sure I agree with this statement. I don't think it would take long to find a job if he were to become a FA. What range draft pick we'd drag from him is a different story. I know some here have talked about him bringing a first rounder but I never really thought so. I'm thinking 4th'ish.

Never know what will happen in the heated passion that's draft day on the clock though.

Guess we can all hide-n-watch.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #108
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Paging Derrick Ward.....

Seriously. If he's stayed in shape, he could get signed back to the team IF we needed him down the road. Crazier things have happened.

If I'm Rick Smith, I'm putting a bug in Ward's ear that it is always wise to be getting into shape in December. Ask Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme.

Stacey Mack Syndrome perhaps?
Old 11-28-2012   #109
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I've though similarly along those lines as well. Guess we'll know/see when it all shakes out.

Not so sure I agree with this statement. I don't think it would take long to find a job if he were to become a FA. What range draft pick we'd drag from him is a different story. I know some here have talked about him bringing a first rounder but I never really thought so. I'm thinking 4th'ish.

Never know what will happen in the heated passion that's draft day on the clock though.

Guess we can all hide-n-watch.
IF he can stay healthy, but i mean 3 seasons and missed more games than he's played. I dont know if he could handle the load of a starter.
Old 11-28-2012   #110
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Paging Derrick Ward.....

I've seen Ward on Comcast Sports Net as an analyst and he definitely doesn't look like he's in any kind of playing shape or even close at that.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #111
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If the rumors about Cleveland wanting Tate last year for a first rounder were true we should have taken that. A late first rounder for Tate is about as good as you can ask for.

I've heard a bunch that Tate would be a starter for half the teams in the league and im not sure about that.

He should be traded this off season though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #112
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If the rumors about Cleveland wanting Tate last year for a first rounder were true we should have taken that. A late first rounder for Tate is about as good as you can ask for.

I've heard a bunch that Tate would be a starter for half the teams in the league and im not sure about that.

He should be traded this off season though.
Sure he'd be a starter for about half the teams in the NFL. I don't doubt that for a second.

Now how long it would be before those teams were looking for their next starter is anybody's guess. I do think a lot of folks think Tate can get it done though.
Old 11-28-2012   #113
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Sure he'd be a starter for about half the teams in the NFL. I don't doubt that for a second.

Now how long it would be before those teams were looking for their next starter is anybody's guess. I do think a lot of folks think Tate can get it done though.
I just went and looked and Tate is not starting for half of the NFL.

I see a few teams where he'd probably get more carries in a rb by commiter and may or may not be named the starter...

But I think it's big time myth that half the NFL would start Tate at rb.

I count 7 teams that would definitely start Tate. The rest are either no ways or maybe or possibly yes or probably not.
Old 11-28-2012   #114
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I just went and looked and Tate is not starting for half of the NFL.

I see a few teams where he'd probably get more carries in a rb by commiter and may or may not be named the starter...

But I think it's big time myth that half the NFL would start Tate at rb.
Go ahead and name the teams he wouldn't start for.
Old 11-28-2012   #115
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like having three good RBs but I guess if Forsett continues to do well and someone can give a 2nd or 3rd for Tate (ehhh, maybe), you pretty much have to do it.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #116
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

on just about any team tate's a 4.5ypc guy, a fair blocker, and can hammer inside the redzone. i dont know that half the league would give up much for him, but if he entered their training camp next season, i can certainly see tate winning the job for more than half of the league. that's of course assuming health, which is the current problem.
Old 11-28-2012   #117
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
on just about any team tate's a 4.5ypc guy, a fair blocker, and can hammer inside the redzone. i dont know that half the league would give up much for him, but if he entered their training camp next season, i can certainly see tate winning the job for more than half of the league. that's of course assuming health, which is the current problem.
Seriously?

Name over 16 teams that you think Tate would go to and start....

I seriously can't think of more than ten.
Old 11-28-2012   #118
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I've seen Ward on Comcast Sports Net as an analyst and he definitely doesn't look like he's in any kind of playing shape or even close at that.
Ewww...gross. Well hell, guess he's hung up the cleats for good.
Old 11-28-2012   #119
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

my homer is showing, but ...

colts
broncos
chargers
raiders
jets
dolphins
steelers
bengals
cowboys
packers
lions
rams
cardinals

several others could open up next year - falcons, giants, panthers.
Old 11-29-2012   #120
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
my homer is showing, but ...

colts
broncos
chargers
raiders
jets
dolphins
steelers
bengals
cowboys
packers
lions
rams
cardinals

several others could open up next year - falcons, giants, panthers.

With McGahee aging I think he might go to the broncos and start.

I think McFadden has injury problems, so maybe in Oakland...but I doubt it.

Chargers have Matthews, but again...injuries so maybe.

He would not Go to Miami and start over bush if he's brought back. And if he's not they'll probably just have Thomas as their starter.

If mendenhall is healthy they'd probably share time. He may or may not start IMO.

Cowboys have Murray who just got healthy and they love him. Maybe, but far from a shoe in.

The rams? Yeah right.

Cardinals have wells who just got healthy. Maybe, maybe not.

Falcons are doubtful I'd say, but maybe if turner is cut or is gone. Don't know his situation.

Giants? I think he may start, but doubtful. I think it'd BEcommittee at best.

Panthers? No. He's not going to jump deangelo and Stewart and if they cut one they aren't starting him over the other.

I think overall rb's are a bit devalued in the NFL although you do have some studs.

Some of the teams where I feel he could maybe start probably aren't trading anything of value for him...like the raiders with McFadden or the cowboys with Murray or the cards with beenie wells.

Last edited by Rey; 11-29-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read