Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-28-2012   #41
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 52348 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eagles Release Jason Babin

His Tasmanian Devil spin move could change the rotation of toilet flushes in Reliant last decade.

Don't want.
Old 11-28-2012   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

*Adam Sandler voide*

NOOOOOooooooo!
Old 11-28-2012   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The story is now that they released him because he quit on the team.

No link, just heard it on the radio (97.5) all morning.
Old 11-28-2012   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak wants no part of this guy. One of the biggest reaches in Texans draft history. We traded UP to get him, and our trading partner was Bud Adams' team.

Babin is a documented ass hat, too.

He wouldn't help us. He'd cost the team money, around $1.something million dollars for his remaining salary he's due, he's a jerk, and he's no better than Barwin in terms of flashing potential and then going dark the rest of the time.
Old 11-28-2012   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
He wouldn't help us. He'd cost the team money, around $1.something million dollars for his remaining salary he's due, he's a jerk, and he's no better than Barwin in terms of flashing potential and then going dark the rest of the time.
If he clears waivers, we can get him for the vet minimum.

We've given plenty other players the benefit of the doubt & blamed coaching for our previous issues. Babin has managed to stay in the league a "long" time & has had some success.

With our current coaching staff, who knows?

But wasn't Kollar the DL coach when we released Babin? As an OLB he'd probably spend more time with Herring... so I don't know.

I & the staff probably have high expectations of Mercilus, so we'll probably wait it out for that reason alone.
Old 11-28-2012   #46
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

We've given plenty other players the benefit of the doubt & blamed coaching for our previous issues. Babin has managed to stay in the league a "long" time & has had some success.

But wasn't Kollar the DL coach when we released Babin? As an OLB he'd probably spend more time with Herring... so I don't know.

I & the staff probably have high expectations of Mercilus, so we'll probably wait it out for that reason alone.
Babin was traded prior to the 2007 season. Kollar's first season with the Texans was 2009.

Something tells me that if he's going to get the vet minimum (and my guess is someone claims him off of waivers), there's lots of teams Babin would play for before he'd sign with the Kubiak/Smith tandem that's running the Texans.
Old 11-28-2012   #47
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Andrew Brandt says whatever team picks him up this year will take a $1.64 million CAP hit. Pretty sure that it means the new team gets a cap hit, I can't see why the league would hit the Eagles for $1.64 million if he's not on their roster anymore.

I don't see the Texans using that amount of cap space for him.

adbrandt Andrew Brandt
$1.64M. RT @Wade_Harrison If claimed, what's the new team cap hit for Babin? Original 5.5 or 1.6 balance?
Old 11-28-2012   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Andrew Brandt says whatever team picks him up this year will take a $1.64 million CAP hit.

I don't see the Texans spending that for him.

adbrandt Andrew Brandt
$1.64M. RT @Wade_Harrison If claimed, what's the new team cap hit for Babin? Original 5.5 or 1.6 balance?
If claimed off waivers. I wouldn't doubt that some team will pick him up off waivers but now that the word is out that he quit on his team, they'd have to be pretty desperate. Maybe Buffalo. Maybe Tennessee. But they're done. Why would they spend anything on a player to help them finish with a losing record.

If he clears waivers, he'll get vet minimum.
Old 11-28-2012   #49
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
At the time I remember some kind of BS comment from either Rick or Gary about trying to get help where we were thin and having to give up something where we we had depth. I felt like we traded a better player than some we kept. It kind of led me to believe that there was a reason they decided he wasn't going to be a Texan any longer. At various points in time when he's been out there the Texans haven't really been interested so that kind of makes me think they just don't want the guy which is fine I guess. I'm reading a lot into it but that's my impression.
I heard earlier today that Babin said he wasn't going to play LB anymore and if he wasn't played as a DE he wasn't going to play in games....

If that is true, that's why they traded him....

And no way he's coming back.

And I'm also hearing that Philly didn't want him playing the wide 9 anymore so they could play the run better...He refused...

Wth kind of $^i# is that?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
A one trick pony who just got dumped by said pony. No thanks.
Hugh Douglas, ESPN analyst/former Eagles DE on Jason Babin:

"He quit. He quit on this Eagles team. If he gets another job, I mean, congratulations to him. ... I would be surprised when other teams put that tape on, I would be surprised if he got another job. That's real talk from a guy that has played the position."

Brian Dawkins: These last time the Eagles let a guy go when they needed everybody on deck, all the help they could, get was T.O. (Terrell Owens).
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #51
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 259047 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I heard earlier today that Babin said he wasn't going to play LB anymore and if he wasn't played as a DE he wasn't going to play in games....

If that is true, that's why they traded him....

And no way he's coming back.

And I'm also hearing that Philly didn't want him playing the wide 9 anymore so they could play the run better...He refused...

Wth kind of $^i# is that?
That makes perfect sense. He was never any good at doing anything but getting after the QB. If he had been used as a situational pass rusher for his entire career, he could be one of those guys that stuck around as depth on a roster for a dozen years. But being drafted in the first round killed that, and it sounds like his ego/attitude/maturity won't let him properly assess his own place in the NFL.

I think Hugh Douglas is right - he's done in the NFL.
Old 11-28-2012   #52
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

At 1.64 mil Texans should take a chance on Babin. This is all predicated on Coach Phillips thoughts on Babin. Here is my main reason if Watt goes down (knock on wood) we are screwed. We need more pass rushers even if situational. When the Texans shipped Babin out the Defensive staff was completely different. Give Phillips more weapons. Texans can cut him if need too. Really where is the downside. Texans have given up 795 yds passing in last 2 games.

Watt 14.5
Smith 4.0
Mercilus 3.0
Reed 2.5
Barwin 2.0
Manning 1.0
Quin 1.0
Jamison 1.0
James 0.5
McCain 0.5
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #53
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
At 1.64 mil Texans should take a chance on Babin. This is all predicated on Coach Phillips thoughts on Babin. Here is my main reason if Watt goes down (knock on wood) we are screwed. We need more pass rushers even if situational. When the Texans shipped Babin out the Defensive staff was completely different. Give Phillips more weapons. Texans can cut him if need too. Really where is the downside.

Yeah, but the Babin weapon ends up looking like this to the d-coord who holds it.

Old 11-28-2012   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
At 1.64 mil Texans should take a chance on Babin. This is all predicated on Coach Phillips thoughts on Babin. Here is my main reason if Watt goes down (knock on wood) we are screwed. We need more pass rushers even if situational.
I want to fall on that side, but I know Kubiak would never let him play if he's got the attitude people are saying. If Watt goes down, Smith goes down, & Merci goes down & we have Babin & two other guys as LBs... he won't play if Babin isn't a true pro.

I know a lot of people think this is Wade's call, but I believe Brandon Harris is on our sideline because of Kubiak.
Old 11-28-2012   #55
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know a lot of people think this is Wade's call, but I believe Brandon Harris is on our sideline because of Kubiak.
Based on what? Just curious...
Old 11-28-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Based on what? Just curious...
Nothing solid, just my gut.

I can't believe a guy they wanted in the second round doesn't have the talent to get on the field. They brought in Alan Ball to get real snaps, they had Jason Allen getting real snaps.

I'm sure he's got issues..... but so does Kareem and Brice but they never wavered from starting them.
Old 11-28-2012   #57
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I can't believe a guy they wanted in the second round doesn't have the talent to get on the field. They brought in Alan Ball to get real snaps, they had Jason Allen getting real snaps.

I'm sure he's got issues..... but so does Kareem and Brice but they never wavered from starting them.
So you think that Phillips wants to play him but Kubiak overrides him then? Meh - this is off topic for this thread. Not sure I can see your take on that one though.
Old 11-28-2012   #58
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

Seniority.

Kubiak is very big on seniority. Whereas a lot of teams will play the best man, Kubiak will 99% of the time keep a more senior player out there and make the younger guy stay as depth and wait until injury to the older guy....even if the older guy is older by 1 year.

Almost like an old-school college coach who makes freshmen sit and seniors are starters unless there's not senior at a position...and THEN he's gonna' have a junior at that spot, etc.

Now, this isn't true across the board. Obviously Foster is the starter and he's younger than Forsett...but honestly Foster is the main RB because his talent is so much more advanced than Tate and Forsett. But you put Forsett and Tate side by side, and due to their role being similar and production being similar, Kubiak is siding with the veteran here and telling the young guy to buck up.

Kubiak is developing that talent, and I think Brandon Harris is on the sideline for that same reason. Kareem, JJo, Ball, McCain...all these guys were in the secondary before Harris was IIRC. There's a method to Kubiak's madness. I think it's one of the reasons the locker room is as healthy as it is. Until somebody rocks the boat, maybe? Then Kubiak goes and lays down a little smack in the media, righting the ship a little if it needs it. Just my guess.
Old 11-28-2012   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Seniority.

Kubiak is developing that talent, and I think Brandon Harris is on the sideline for that same reason. Kareem, JJo, Ball, McCain...all these guys were in the secondary before Harris was IIRC.
Not Ball.
Old 11-28-2012   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Not Ball.
He's been in the league longer, though. Right?

It doesn't matter if it was with another team. Kubiak wants veterans if they are competent enough to be out there. A jumpy young guy can cost the team, and a veteran (while he might not be as PURELY talented as the young guy) is less likely to lose his head out there and go crazy over a series of plays.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read