Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2012   #41
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Harris Penalty on Punt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
but damn that was a good hit.
Actually it was probably too good. I really think that's what precipitated the
flag(s) more than anything else by the refs. Hey you got to know they were given specific instructions on Thanksgiving day with huge TV audiences in attendance to flag any plays that represented especially aggressive
or violent impact, and that's what Harris was primarily guilty of doing.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget that there's another ruled called the spearing rule.

Article 8(f) states in pertinent part:

"If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures . . ." (Emphasis added.)

Accordingly, it is unnecessary roughness to "spear" (i.e., use the helmet as a weapon against any player) on any play, regardless of whether the player is in a defenseless position.

http://nflspearhead.blogspot.com/

Under that rule, if the ref deemed that Harris was going up with the facemask part of his helmet at the chin strap of the opponent, they can still call a penalty (just under a different rule.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #43
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
But that wasnt really my point, all these has been players who are now broke are suing the NFL, not a big surprise. Kinda like that burgular 5-10 years ago who fell on a knife in this ladies kitchen while breaking into her house and sued her and won. I mean we can all agree our legal system has become a big joke.
Except that never happened. Urban legend.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Don't forget that there's another ruled called the spearing rule.

Article 8(f) states in pertinent part:

"If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures . . ." (Emphasis added.)

Accordingly, it is unnecessary roughness to "spear" (i.e., use the helmet as a weapon against any player) on any play, regardless of whether the player is in a defenseless position.

http://nflspearhead.blogspot.com/

Under that rule, if the ref deemed that Harris was going up with the facemask part of his helmet at the chin strap of the opponent, they can still call a penalty (just under a different rule.)
A spearing call would have made more sense.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #45
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Except that never happened. Urban legend.
Well many of burgulars have sued the home owners of whom they were robbing and won. Just look it up, Kinda like VY who is now broke suing his book keeper.
Old 11-26-2012   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Well many of burgulars have sued the home owners of whom they were robbing and won. Just look it up,
Every purported story I have ever seen has turned out to be false. If you have some confirmed ones then by all means provide them.
Old 11-26-2012   #47
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He didn't call for a fair catch as I remember it. Once he makes the decision not to call it, and to catch the ball, he must be given the opportunity to catch the ball and "set" before he can be hit..........just like a defenseless receiver.
Now let me see, special teams kicking team as I remember it:

a. When the ball leaves the tee you become a missle following that football.

b.The members of the kicking team assigned to block are moving obstacles you are to evade as you follow the ball to it's intended receiver.

c. As the ball gets closer TO the kick return man watch him. If he steps away from the path of the ball or raises his hand to signal fair catch, you mission is aborted.

d. If the return man FAILS to do EITHER of the aforementioned, the second that ball lands in his hands and he shifts his weight even a fraction of a millimeter it is YOUR job as a member of the kicking team...to break every bone in that muff-hugga's body!

Now in the play I watched:

a. The return man DID NOT remove himself from the path of the ball

b. The return man DID NOT wave for a fair catch

c. The return man DID make a catch

d. The return man DID shift his weight and prepare to advance the ball

&

e. (and this is the IMPORTANT part) Got his 3itch @$$ knocked the VUGG OUT by a member of the kicking team who was doing his DAMNED JOB!

For the sake of argument...I'd have to see the hit again, but I thought it was clean.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Now let me see, special teams kicking team as I remember it:

a. When the ball leaves the tee you become a missle following that football.

b.The members of the kicking team assigned to block are moving obstacles you are to evade as you follow the ball to it's intended receiver.

c. As the ball gets closer TO the kick return man watch him. If he steps away from the path of the ball or raises his hand to signal fair catch, you mission is aborted.

d. If the return man FAILS to do EITHER of the aforementioned, the second that ball lands in his hands and he shifts his weight even a fraction of a millimeter it is YOUR job as a member of the kicking team...to break every bone in that muff-hugga's body!

Now in the play I watched:

a. The return man DID NOT remove himself from the path of the ball

b. The return man DID NOT wave for a fair catch

c. The return man DID make a catch

d. The return man DID shift his weight and prepare to advance the ball

&

e. (and this is the IMPORTANT part) Got his 3itch @$$ knocked the VUGG OUT by a member of the kicking team who was doing his DAMNED JOB!

For the sake of argument...I'd have to see the hit again, but I thought it was clean.
Holy cow! Let me assure you that the trail of piss leading to your cereal bowl this morning was not mine!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #49
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Every purported story I have ever seen has turned out to be false. If you have some confirmed ones then by all means provide them.
Dead burglar's family awarded $75,000:

LINK

Burglar sues California homeowner who returned fire:

LINK
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Dead burglar's family awarded $75,000:

LINK

Burglar sues California homeowner who returned fire:

LINK
That is some great support for the assertion "many have sued and won."

You had to reach back a decade for the 1st one and it is a booby trap case. Every state prohibits booby traps.

The second story is sketchy as it sounds like he is being sued for shooting someone who was surrendering. Whatever the facts are it is only a suit, not someone who won.
Old 11-27-2012   #51
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is some great support for the assertion "many have sued and won."
It was actually more of a rebuttal to: "Every purported story I have ever seen has turned out to be false. If you have some confirmed ones then by all means provide them."

You are correct that the second example has yet to be fully litigated.

Regardless, you now have at least one example of a burglary victim who has had to pay for protecting his property and thus you can no longer say that every purported story has turned out to be false.
Old 11-27-2012   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
It was actually more of a rebuttal to: "Every purported story I have ever seen has turned out to be false. If you have some confirmed ones then by all means provide them."

Regardless, you now have at least one example of a burglary victim who has had to pay for protecting his property and thus you can no longer say that every purported story has turned out to be false.
Nope. Booby traps are prohibited. I didn't take the post I responded to as referring to people protecting their property by committing a crime.

I was referring to urban legends like stepping on a skateboard coming in through a window or falling through a skylight onto a knife block.
Old 11-27-2012   #53
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Nope. Booby traps are prohibited. I didn't take the post I responded to as referring to people protecting their property by committing a crime.

I was referring to urban legends like stepping on a skateboard coming in through a window or falling through a skylight onto a knife block.
There was no booby trap disclaimer stated earlier in the thread.
Old 11-27-2012   #54
bshep86
Rookie

Section: M&T Bank Stadium
Rep Power: 1053 bshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respectedbshep86 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

EllisUnit did say "homeowners" and not "property owners," and business/property law is different than home laws.

The other part of it was that this wasn't some unintentional thing like "slipping and falling on a knife." The property owner was rigging a deadly trap to protect property. (I say deadly because we are a 110 volt standard county).

So the whole "slipping and falling on a knife" and this don't equate.
Old 11-27-2012   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
There was no booby trap disclaimer stated earlier in the thread.
Whatever. If you or Ellis want to continue this conversation we can do it in the No Spin Zone.
Old 11-27-2012   #56
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Whatever. If you or Ellis want to continue this conversation we can do it in the No Spin Zone.
Yeah, I'm gonna let it go because I've done a crapload of searching and I'm finding it impossible to find an example of a burglar who has won a judgment for an injury sustained during a break-in where there wasn't a booby trap.

Except for, maybe, Bodine v Enterprise High School , in which a burglar fell through a skylight and sued and won.

But the case is 30 years old and clouded in three decades worth of misinformation and spin.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read