Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2012   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: P.King on Watt & Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
PFF's line for Miller vs. Texans

Penalty - 1, QBHits - 1, QBHurries - 3, Tackles(ex-sacks) - 2, Stops* - 2.
*Stop = solo tackle (including sacks) that constitute an offensive failure
Looks like they are extremely generous with their observation.

The number of 3 assists that I noted was from the official NFL.com game book.

I believe they've been using Stats Inc for years (same as Elias Sports Bureau, the one that is responsible for correcting stats when teams send in their disputes.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #42
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Agreed. Miller is a better pass rusher....... period.

Watt is probably the more rounded player. Watt probably affects the game more.

I look at Watt & I see a self made guy. You could change out the whole DL (save maybe Antonio) & Watts going to get his. We're seeing that now as he's getting virtually no help. I don't think Miller would disapear without Dummerville, but he certainly won't have the same impact.

But like I said earlier. I wouldn't cry one bit if Miller wins the DPOY over Watt.
Funny thing is Watt is not supposed to be a pass rusher at that position in the 3-4. He is supposed to open up lanes for the LBs. Millers position is made to sack the QB. I just dont see how yall can compare a guy who often gets to go against TEs, and HBs to a guy who is constantly double teamed by G, OT and then the HB is usually there to help as well.

I mean come on, thats like saying ur a better shot than me while your shooting a target that isnt moving while mine is dancing around like a UFO.
Old 11-26-2012   #43
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
There's a lot more to being a good pass rusher than sacks.

Right. And Watt is doing those things at an extreme level as well - from a "position that is traditionally not a pass rusher".

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #44
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

People saying that this isn't even close sound like huge homers. It's okay to rep for Watt and all, but you guys clearly haven't been watching Miller to say something like that. Every Broncos game I've watched Miller has been a total beast that has looked unblockable.

Now I do think that Watt has been slightly better, but that's mainly due to his ability to play the run well and more importantly his skills at deflecting passes. His deflections have been at huge times and have contributed to big plays for TO's. I think that Watt is just doing more everywhere. Therefore I'd say Watt should get this award if it happened now. But to act like this isn't even close as if Miller hasn't been outstanding at his own type of level and skills for their defense is just disregarding anything that he has done out of fanship for Watt. We all lover Watt, and I think he is the better guy at this point, but not by a lot.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Funny thing is Watt is not supposed to be a pass rusher at that position in the 3-4. He is supposed to open up lanes for the LBs. Millers position is made to sack the QB. I just dont see how yall can compare a guy who often gets to go against TEs, and HBs to a guy who is constantly double teamed by G, OT and then the HB is usually there to help as well.

I mean come on, thats like saying ur a better shot than me while your shooting a target that isnt moving while mine is dancing around like a UFO.
Did you see the number of times Watt rushes the passer compared to how many sacks he gets? Miller's number is much higher, meaning he gets to the passer more often on less opportunities. IMO, the "position" is already factored in.

Because Watt is the best 3-4 DE in the game, doesn't & shouldn't give him an edge in DPOY.

Body of work, their impact on the game, I think Watt is head & shoulders above everyone else. However, I understand I may be biased.

Miller has had a heck of an impact on the game as well. Beyond just getting after the QB. If the powers that be feel that Miller has had the most impact, so be it.

Imagine Brian Cushing was having a season similar to the one he had as a rookie & Watt is playing like he is now. Which one do you think would have the most impact on the game?
Old 11-26-2012   #46
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would take Aldon Smith over Von Miller & Watt over both.
So basically your entire assesment of defensive linemen is solely based on sacks (16.5 v. 14.5 which includes the mysterious sack they took away from Watt v. Miami)? The reason I ask is Watt leads Smith in almost every other defensive catagories.

Tackles:
Watt 54 (44 solo) - Smith 48 (40 solo)

Passes defended:
Watt 13 - Smith 0
Old 11-26-2012   #47
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you see the number of times Watt rushes the passer compared to how many sacks he gets? Miller's number is much higher, meaning he gets to the passer more often on less opportunities. IMO, the "position" is already factored in.

Because Watt is the best 3-4 DE in the game, doesn't & shouldn't give him an edge in DPOY.

Body of work, their impact on the game, I think Watt is head & shoulders above everyone else. However, I understand I may be biased.

Miller has had a heck of an impact on the game as well. Beyond just getting after the QB. If the powers that be feel that Miller has had the most impact, so be it.

Imagine Brian Cushing was having a season similar to the one he had as a rookie & Watt is playing like he is now. Which one do you think would have the most impact on the game?
Ok again like i said Watt is facing constant double teams against G and OT and a lot of time triple teams with the HB helping out. Miller gets a lot of one on one and gets a lot of TE/HB match-ups. You cannot look at the stats/rushes and get an accurate conclusion. And i sure as hell hope he gets to the QB more per rushes. Again it all has to do with his position.

And the reason Watt will get DPOY is because it is so much more rare for a 3-4 DE to have the kinda success that watt is compared to the success of the position miller plays.

Watt Miller
Sacks 14.5 14.0
TFL 24 23
TCKL 54 47
Solo 44 39
PD 13 0
FF 0 4

Ok Now Miller has 4 FF, how many Tipped passes by watt has turned into turnovers ? I have no idea but i bet its close if not more than 4. Dont see how u think a guy who gets to go against TE's and HB's more times than not clearly wins out over the guy who gets double teames by the big guys up front and STILL has better stats than Miller.
Old 11-26-2012   #48
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Every Broncos game I've watched Miller has been a total beast that has looked unblockable.
They've both looked unblockable but Miller has a half sack fewer than Watt, seven fewer total tackles than Watt, and 13 times fewer passes defensed than Watt. I think the PD figure is what makes many of us feel like this race isn't close.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
They've both looked unblockable and Miller has a half sack fewer than Watt, eight fewer tackles than Watt, and 13 times fewer passes defensed. I think the PD figure is what makes many of us think this race isn't close.
Yeah, you're just going to have to watch the game. As an OLB, Strong side, Miller is very much involved in the pass defense. Watt's PD is what brings him into the conversation. The OLB position is naturally a more versatile position. Watt's PD makes him a more versatile player, & now he impacts the game the way an OLB does.

Just because Von Miller doesn't get his hands on the ball, he's still doing his job in pass coverage.
Old 11-26-2012   #50
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Yeah, you're just going to have to watch the game. As an OLB, Strong side, Miller is very much involved in the pass defense. Watt's PD is what brings him into the conversation.

Just because Von Miller doesn't get his hands on the ball, he's still doing his job in pass coverage.
UMMMM so Watt has better stats in every category than miller and the only reason he is in the mix is because the PD.

So what brings miller into the mix then ? I mean since Watt does have him beat in nearly all the other categories as well !
Old 11-26-2012   #51
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's doing his job, sure, but he's not changing the game the way Watt is changing the game by getting his hands on the ball. Has there been one pick six as a result of Watt's deflections or two? There have certainly been more than one interception resultant.
Old 11-26-2012   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
UMMMM so Watt has better stats in every category than miller and the only reason he is in the mix is because the PD.

So then what brings miller into the mix then ? I mean since Watt does have him beat in nearly all the other categories as well !
An OLB is like a Bishop on a chess board. You don't want to lose him because he is so versatile. A DT is like a Knight. Normally you'd rather lose the Knight to save your Bishop.

Jj Watt is a Knight that plays like a Bishop. If it weren't for his PDs, he'd only be a Knight.
Old 11-26-2012   #53
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So what brings miller into the mix then ? I mean since Watt does have him beat in nearly all the other categories as well !
Peyton Manning.
Old 11-26-2012   #54
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
If it weren't for his PDs, he'd only be a Knight.
Which makes him better than a Bishop.
Old 11-26-2012   #55
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

Joel Dreessen.
Old 11-26-2012   #56
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Which makes him better than a Bishop.
Damnit... I forget how to play chess.
Old 11-26-2012   #57
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
He's doing his job, sure, but he's not changing the game the way Watt is changing the game by getting his hands on the ball. Has there been one pick six as a result of Watt's deflections or two? There have certainly been more than one interception resultant.
Lets not argue with him, Watt is only only on pace to break the PD by a D-line player, The sack record for a 3-4 DE end. You know nothing special. Where on the other hand Miller is doing what MANY MANY other OLB have done for years before him.

Old 11-26-2012   #58
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Peyton Manning.
DAMN man you are right, WTF was i thinking.
Old 11-26-2012   #59
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
So basically your entire assesment of defensive linemen is solely based on sacks (16.5 v. 14.5 which includes the mysterious sack they took away from Watt v. Miami)? The reason I ask is Watt leads Smith in almost every other defensive catagories.

Tackles:
Watt 54 (44 solo) - Smith 48 (40 solo)

Passes defended:
Watt 13 - Smith 0
Damnit!! I said that. ^^^^

Quote:
Ok again like i said Watt is facing constant double teams against G and OT and a lot of time triple teams with the HB helping out. Miller gets a lot of one on one and gets a lot of TE/HB match-ups. You cannot look at the stats/rushes and get an accurate conclusion. And i sure as hell hope he gets to the QB more per rushes. Again it all has to do with his position.

And the reason Watt will get DPOY is because it is so much more rare for a 3-4 DE to have the kinda success that watt is compared to the success of the position miller plays.

Watt Miller
Sacks 14.5 14.0
TFL 24 23
TCKL 54 47
Solo 44 39
PD 13 0
FF 0 4

Ok Now Miller has 4 FF, how many Tipped passes by watt has turned into turnovers ? I have no idea but i bet its close if not more than 4. Dont see how u think a guy who gets to go against TE's and HB's more times than not clearly wins out over the guy who gets double teames by the big guys up front and STILL has better stats than Miller.
Old 11-26-2012   #60
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
An OLB is like a Bishop on a chess board. You don't want to lose him because he is so versatile. A DT is like a Knight. Normally you'd rather lose the Knight to save your Bishop.

Jj Watt is a Knight that plays like a Bishop. If it weren't for his PDs, he'd only be a Knight.
You don't play much chess do you?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read