Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-25-2012   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Uno Amigo Texan 2013 Mock

First: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State 6'1" 217
Texans like their CB's big & physical so Rhodes sure qualifies. Could also switch over to FS down the road.

Second: D.J. Flucker, RT, Alabama 6'6" 335
Right tackle only prospect, allows Newton to move back into swing role & rotate. Physical run dominante road grader to help solidify right side (careful how you say his name).
Third: Kyle Long, LG, Oregon 6'7" 312
Wade Smith replacement after next season. Son of Howie Long, he plays like his dad with an attitude, high ceiling LG prospect. In short a beast.

Third (comp): Kiko Alonso, ILB/OLB, Oregon 6'3" 242
Going with what I know, Ducks, three down LB who can kick inside or play some OLB. Smart, instinctive, with good range in coverage, blitz & run support. How about some Latino love from Amigo's?
Fourth: Connor Vernon, WR, Duke 6'0" 200
Well rounded, with surprising athletic ability to get open. Also excellent route runner, heady & willing blocker. Think Kevin Walter with speed.

Fifth: Spencer Ware, RB LSU 5'11" 225
Great size/speed combo to replace Tate (likely to be shopped) maintaining much needed depth behind Foster to keep him healthy.
Fifth (comp): Anthony White, NT, Michigan State 6'2" 330
Later than I would like to address nose, but expect Cody to resign on the cheap & Texans picked up Terrell McClain as well have David Hunter stashed away.

Sixth: Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado 6'5 & 5/8" 260
Texans are good @ finding great value for position. Texans are also a bit undersized for position & might benefit from a big body they can mold.
Sixth (comp): Ryan Allen, Punter, Louisiana Tech 6'2" 215
Donnie Jones has been solid but why not bring a big time leg into camp to compete for job next off season? Allen leads nation in punting average 48.04 per pop.
Seventh: Michael Mauti, ILB/OLB, Penn State 6'2" 240
History of knee injury's hurts his draft stock, however if he can get with a team like Texans with excellent medical & rehab facilities he has a chance on returning & contributing both on special teams & provide depth on defense.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 11-25-2012 at 03:29 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Uno Amigo Texan 2013 Mock

Much to like here.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Why replace a punter who is having the best season a Texans' punter has ever had? Why not a kicker instead?

How does getting a 1 lb heavier TE address being undersized?

I like the CB and OL picks.
Old 11-25-2012   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why replace a punter who is having the best season a Texans' punter has ever had? Why not a kicker instead?

Let competition decide that matter (punter).

Texans placed Bullock on IR, he will return next season to compete vs Graham. All special teams must improve.

Kasa has frame (almost 6'6") to add weight updated weight is actually 260lbs. He would be Texans tallest receiving target, also has basketball background.

Thanks, big guy for input hope that helps answer questions.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 11-25-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2012   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Much to like here.
Glad you appreciate it. Saw my dos amigo mocks, had to respond with own version, no Texan football today so a little bored.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-25-2012   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
[size="3"]

Sixth: Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado 6'5" 250
Texans are good @ finding great value for position. Texans are also a bit undersized for position & might benefit from a big body they can mold.
If you are going to draft a TE this late I would rather go with Ben Cotten NE

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1515241
Old 11-25-2012   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State 6'1" 217
Texans like their CB's big & physical so Rhodes sure qualifies. Could also switch over to FS down the road.

Second: D.J. Flucker, RT, Alabama 6'6" 335
Right tackle only prospect, allows Newton to move back into swing role & rotate. Physical run dominante road grader to help solidify right side (careful how you say his name).
Third: Kyle Long, LG, Oregon 6'7" 312
Wade Smith replacement after next season. Son of Howie Long, he plays like his dad with an attitude, high ceiling LG prospect. In short a beast.

Third (comp): Kiko Alonso, ILB/OLB, Oregon 6'3" 242
Going with what I know, Ducks, three down LB who can kick inside or play some OLB. Smart, instinctive, with good range in coverage, blitz & run support. How about some Latino love from Amigo's?
Fourth: Connor Vernon, WR, Duke 6'0" 200
Well rounded, with surprising athletic ability to get open. Also excellent route runner, heady & willing blocker. Think Kevin Walter with speed.

Fifth: Spencer Ware, RB LSU 5'11" 225
Great size/speed combo to replace Tate (likely to be shopped) maintaining much needed depth behind Foster to keep him healthy.
Fifth (comp): Anthony White, NT, Michigan State 6'2" 330
Later than I would like to address nose, but expect Cody to resign on the cheap & Texans picked up Terrell McClain as well have David Hunter stashed away.

Sixth: Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado 6'5 & 5/8" 260
Sixth (comp): Ryan Allen, Punter, Louisiana Tech 6'2" 215
Donnie Jones has been solid but why not bring a big time leg into camp to compete for job next off season? Allen leads nation in punting average 48.04 per pop.
Seventh: Michael Mauti, ILB/OLB, Penn State 6'2" 240
History of knee injury's hurts his draft stock, however if he can get with a team like Texans with excellent medical & rehab facilities he has a chance on returning & contributing both on special teams & provide depth on defense.

Like all of you picks except give me

Rd.2 Aaron Dobson
Rd.4 Brennan Williams or Brian Winters as a swing OT guy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2012   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

I like the CB and OL picks.
There's no K worth being drafted next yr. IMHO Even though I'm not a Bullock fan (As a Player) he needs to grab the K spot by the short hairs.

Kasa is a player, love this pick. He's just begining to scratch the surface of his god given ability. In a couple of yrs he will prove to be a steal. It's not about weight, this guy is a tough guy. (Blocker)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it!

1) Except for Rhodes. I dont know if Rhodes is a CB or FS in the pros, and I dont know if he will great at either position. He is a little stiff for CB, so I tend to look at him as a FS. Still, I dont hate the position. Its becoming a passing league, need to be able to defend the pass. If you think Rhodes is that guy, then this is a good pick.

2) Big road-grading RT, I like it. As I noted in Dopple's mock, I worry about his mobility. But the fact that you guys both think he has that ability makes me think I may have misjudged the guy.

3) As much as I like going OG, I dont know if Long is the guy. He is a sick athlete who has the length to play OT. Why stick him inside? I think you would be much better served grabbing Long here as a tackle, and using your second or some later other pick to upgrade the interior line.

3) Sign me up. Love this pick, the kid is a baller.

4) I like Vernon, and with AJ going all beast mode on us, I think we can ease up on the search for a number 1. Vernon can be an excellent number 2, so I am 100% liking this pick.

5) I like taking a down-hill RB, but dont know much about Ware. I trust your eval, and suggest a couple other guys who fit the bill here- Burkhead, Stacy, Wood.

5) I like it. Big NT, has underrated agility. Solid pick.

6) Great minds think alike! Kasa would be a great pick.

6) I prefer the Oregon punter, but this is not a bad pick. The Texans have a strong team, so it is more and more unlikely these late picks make the team. Having some competition at P would be good.

7) Nice pick. I hope he can recover from his injury.

Like I said, I would be a fan of this draft. There are some good names and positions here.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I like it!

1) Except for Rhodes. I dont know if Rhodes is a CB or FS in the pros, and I dont know if he will great at either position. He is a little stiff for CB, so I tend to look at him as a FS. Still, I dont hate the position. Its becoming a passing league, need to be able to defend the pass. If you think Rhodes is that guy, then this is a good pick.

2) Big road-grading RT, I like it. As I noted in Dopple's mock, I worry about his mobility. But the fact that you guys both think he has that ability makes me think I may have misjudged the guy.

3) As much as I like going OG, I dont know if Long is the guy. He is a sick athlete who has the length to play OT. Why stick him inside? I think you would be much better served grabbing Long here as a tackle, and using your second or some later other pick to upgrade the interior line.

3) Sign me up. Love this pick, the kid is a baller.

4) I like Vernon, and with AJ going all beast mode on us, I think we can ease up on the search for a number 1. Vernon can be an excellent number 2, so I am 100% liking this pick.

5) I like taking a down-hill RB, but dont know much about Ware. I trust your eval, and suggest a couple other guys who fit the bill here- Burkhead, Stacy, Wood.

5) I like it. Big NT, has underrated agility. Solid pick.

6) Great minds think alike! Kasa would be a great pick.

6) I prefer the Oregon punter, but this is not a bad pick. The Texans have a strong team, so it is more and more unlikely these late picks make the team. Having some competition at P would be good.

7) Nice pick. I hope he can recover from his injury.

Like I said, I would be a fan of this draft. There are some good names and positions here.
thanks 65

there is a lot here (based off Doppelbock projections) so I will just expound a little about Long, who I keep moving up my draft board. He is extremely LONG for position (pun intended) however he is very athletic & natural knee bender, the advantage this gives him is leverage in pass pro. Along with Brown Texans can completely shut down stunts & blitzes which is reason why I felt compelled to upgrade RT position with enforcer. Matt Schaub is & will be the Texans QB & he requires extra protection which this will afford him.

Kyle is extremely competitive with some nasty game. Lineage is a plus, as mentioned his father is Howie an all-pro defensive end for the Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders and is a member of the NFL Hall of Fame. Brother Chris was selected 2nd overall in the 2008 NFL draft as defensive end for the NFL’s St. Louis Rams. Kyle actually started out playing DE, pressure following brother & father I suppose, but made the switch to OL, kept growing & never looked back. Kyle could even go higher than 3rd when all said & done. He seems natural playing inside because he loves contact, he is that guy who goes out of his way to find a good fight, home in traffic often times playing past the whistle if you know what I mean? Despite how good Wade has been for the Texans he will not play forever, this is the type of player you want to re-tool & keep a good thing going, if a dare say, take it to the next level.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-25-2012   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Glad you appreciate it. Saw my dos amigo mocks, had to respond with own version, no Texan football today so a little bored.
I think this is my favorite so far .... Kinda agree with Rmartin about Rhodes but .... I like the position selected. I'd prefer David Amerson or Desmond Trufant .... both are a bit more fluid and have good size.

Dont really see a need for a punter either as Jones is having a really good year. Probably would have gone with another PK just to increase the competition at the position .... especially that late as position players picked there arent likely to stick with a team this talented.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 11-25-2012   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think this is my favorite so far .... Kinda agree with Rmartin about Rhodes but .... I like the position selected. I'd prefer David Amerson or Desmond Trufant .... both are a bit more fluid and have good size.

Dont really see a need for a punter either as Jones is having a really good year. Probably would have gone with another PK just to increase the competition at the position .... especially that late as position players picked there arent likely to stick with a team this talented.
picking 32nd is such a ***** you know

So had to do some real soul searching to come up with Rhodes. Secondary along with Wide Receiver are two of the toughest positions to eval not to mention hit on. I've been really impressed with Ball filling in for Joseph, maybe other teams will too & I believe he is on a one year contract? Talk about losing Brice McCain also makes me nervous, a nickle but still affects overall depth of secondary. The reason why Wade put Ball on Calvin Johnson was because he was the closest physical match-up. Alan is 6-2 190. Xavier Rhodes is 6-2 217. He is very athletic, with ball hawking skills, thus presents match-up combos Wade likes to utilize. Not to mention Wade will not have to throw him to the wolves as a rookie, allowing him to blossom like he did with Kareem in second year. Ball is like already 27 & Manning is 30 so which ever direction they choose he will have ample opportunity with value rising for secondary talent this pushed him over the top in my view. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZQs52yooI

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 11-25-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2012   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

If it makes you feel any better I would defiantly consider Tyler Eifert 1st rd. but don't expect him to be there for Texans

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-25-2012   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
picking 32nd is such a ***** you know

So had to do some real soul searching to come up with Rhodes. Secondary along with Wide Receiver are two of the toughest positions to eval not to mention hit on. I've been really impressed with Ball filling in for Joseph, maybe other teams will too & I believe he is on a one year contract? Talk about losing Brice McCain also makes me nervous, a nickle but still affects overall depth of secondary. The reason why Wade put Ball on Calvin Johnson was because he was the closest physical match-up. Alan is 6-2 190. Xavier Rhodes is 6-2 217. He is very athletic, with ball hawking skills, thus presents match-up combos Wade likes to utilize. Not to mention Wade will not have to throw him to the wolves as a rookie, allowing him to blossom like he did with Kareem in second year. Ball is like already 27 & Manning is 30 so which ever direction they choose he will have ample opportunity with value rising for secondary talent this pushed him over the top in my view.
Amerson is also 6'2" tho a little lighter in the ass at 195ish.

Trufant is 6'0" 190 , probably more of the classic corner than either of the other two.

I want a bigger corner too .... thats why I was looking at those two in particular. I think they are both more fluid athletes too ... Both should be able to match up to the bigger recievers physically.

Yeah picking that deep is a real crapshoot .... hell any of those three could go much higher than this. I'd be Ok with any of the above honesty tho if I had my pick it would be Amerson right now.

McCain's pending FA and Ball's 1 year deal are why I was thinking to take a CB very early , no later than the 2nd .... where you may be able to get one of the above if the draft fell just right.

Ive been really happy with Ball's improvement thruout the season .... He was getting torched in preseason and he held his own defending Megatron , a couple of those throws had to be perfect and also were difficult catches.
He's also been a beast on ST. I'd like to see him stick around next season .... but I have a feeling someone will offer him a bigger payday than the Texans can afford.

Losing both Ball and McCain would be worst case scenario IMO. If I could keep one , it would be Ball believe it or not.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 11-25-2012   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better I would defiantly consider Tyler Eifert 1st rd. but don't expect him to be there for Texans
Hey I liked the one where you drafted 3 ND guys.
Old 11-25-2012   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Amerson is also 6'2" tho a little lighter in the ass at 195ish.

Trufant is 6'0" 190 , probably more of the classic corner than either of the other two.

I want a bigger corner too .... thats why I was looking at those two in particular. I think they are both more fluid athletes too ... Both should be able to match up to the bigger recievers physically.

Yeah picking that deep is a real crapshoot .... hell any of those three could go much higher than this. I'd be Ok with any of the above honesty tho if I had my pick it would be Amerson right now.

McCain's pending FA and Ball's 1 year deal are why I was thinking to take a CB very early , no later than the 2nd .... where you may be able to get one of the above if the draft fell just right.

Ive been really happy with Ball's improvement thruout the season .... He was getting torched in preseason and he held his own defending Megatron , a couple of those throws had to be perfect and also were difficult catches.
He's also been a beast on ST. I'd like to see him stick around next season .... but I have a feeling someone will offer him a bigger payday than the Texans can afford.

Losing both Ball and McCain would be worst case scenario IMO. If I could keep one , it would be Ball believe it or not.
I hear ya & your right about Amerson but I opted for the more physical of the two in run support because everybody in Wade's defense must tackle with a passion. Looked really hard @ Trufant but in 2nd, one of the bright spots for Huskies plus great pedigree. In the end didn't know if he would be there & too early for first. The big, physical CB worst case, not in the box safety too tempting value with all the smallish CB's waiting in the wings currently on Texan roster, Harris & Carmichael @ 5'10".

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-25-2012   #17
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

JMO:

1. Rhodes, I like the athleticism Rhodes has but I'm still iffy on him as a CB or future FS in the NFL.
2. Fluker, I think he's more of an OG at the next level due to slow feet.
3. Long, I don't know alot about him but have read some really good things lately and the 3rd is a good place to look for quality OG depth.
3b. Alonso, I've been looking at him as well lately. I like this pick.
4. Vernon, I'm not real familiar with him but I see him as a good possession receiver in the slot and we've already got Martin there.
5. Ware, I haven't looked at RB's, dont' know anything about him.
5b. White, I've been looking at him as well, he's got potential to be depth at NT. I like his size.
6. Allen, I like Sharp better only because he offers K depth as well but I like the position chosen. Jones is decent but we can do better.
7. Mauti, if still available and can stay healthy he's low risk high reward depth in the LB corp..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Looking at Cotton's record and awards he seems to fit what the Texans are looking for (smart, leadership, community service, etc...), but with his meager stats (4yrs, 370 total yds), I'm not sure the Texans would draft him. I know the stats may be a false indicator and Nebraska is not exactly known as a big time passing school. Was he mainly a blocking TE? He has good size (6'6" 250 lbs). I guess a lot will depend on Combine/School work out numbers whether he gets drafted or not.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Looking at Cotton's record and awards he seems to fit what the Texans are looking for (smart, leadership, community service, etc...), but with his meager stats (4yrs, 370 total yds), I'm not sure the Texans would draft him. I know the stats may be a false indicator and Nebraska is not exactly known as a big time passing school. Was he mainly a blocking TE? He has good size (6'6" 250 lbs). I guess a lot will depend on Combine/School work out numbers whether he gets drafted or not.
Think along the lines of Dressen, more of a blocker who can catch and develop into a receiving threat. Nebraska does not throw a lot.

Bell, Kenny 12-12 44 789 17.9 8 74 65.8
Enunwa, Quincy 12-12 35 408 11.7 1 35 34.0
Turner, Jamal 12-2 24 332 13.8 2 36 27.7

Top three receivers which would look more like Air force than USC. Martinez makes VY look like Andre Ware.

I just feel having that TE who can be almost like another lineman in our offense would be a key addition.
Old 11-26-2012   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Think along the lines of Dressen, more of a blocker who can catch and develop into a receiving threat. Nebraska does not throw a lot.

Bell, Kenny 12-12 44 789 17.9 8 74 65.8
Enunwa, Quincy 12-12 35 408 11.7 1 35 34.0
Turner, Jamal 12-2 24 332 13.8 2 36 27.7

Top three receivers which would look more like Air force than USC. Martinez makes VY look like Andre Ware.

I just feel having that TE who can be almost like another lineman in our offense would be a key addition.
Texans already have a pair like Cotton on their practice squad in Phillip Supernaw & Logan Brock.

I'm down with the blocking aspect as well. What makes you think Kasa cannot block or play physical role of TE you want? This is Nicks first year even playing TE before that he was a highly recruited DE. He is third on the team in receiving, 391 yards, 15.6 avg per game along with 3 TD's. His projected 40 time should be around 4.75, for reference Rob Gronkowski ran 4.70 @ 6062 264, Jermaine Gresham, 4.72 @ 6052 261 while the freak of all freaks, Jimmy Graham ran 4.55 @ 6063 259lbs. That's pretty elite company. Here is some more background to ponder: http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_2164...e-at-tight-end

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read