Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2012   #41
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 45112 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ is back !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
How soon do we forget about his TD vs Arizona...
That's really desperate digging something over two years ago. That play was late the 4th Q in a close game near the end zone.

Mean while someone like Fitz or Steve Smith play with a slugger-like approach after a catch on every single play. AJ is more physically gifted and imposing than most top 10 WR out there and yet he's content with just getting on base instead of hitting one out the park. And please do bring out the game winning run against Jax. He was following great downfield blocking and coast from there.

AJ is doing CB's a favor by just covering up and letting them make the tackle. I want him to break their ankle with jukes, make them whiff with spin moves, shove face mask down their throats with stiff arm.

He still has all the tools. He's a beast. I want him to be a killer running with the ball. I'm not asking him to make that effort on every play. I know he puts ball securities first and that's great and smart. But once in awhile, let that beast come out to play. Give fans something more to cheer about after catching it.

I remember a while back at a sports bar, everytime AJ makes a catch I can see all the Texans fan in front of me immediately stand up over the table turned to each other for high fives before the play was even over, blocking the TV screen from me while they celebrate.

I use to get mad everytime they do that. But when they sit back down and the TV screen is back in view I realize AJ is almost always no more than 3 or 4 yards from where he caught the ball.

Mean while a section next to me was hosting the Bears game with all their die-hard fans. Every time B. Marshall catches a pass I noticed all their fans eye's remain lock to the TV, still seated, hands clutched to their drinks, watching every seconds of every stride at #15 until a sure tackle is made. Because they know their playmaking reciever can easily turn a short slant or hitch into a nice looking house all by himself.

Sadly for AJ the suspense is usually immediately over after a catch.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #42
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Hell yeah he is back AND HEALTHY....

He really gives credit to the training staff. Those guys ...whatever they are doing....it is working to perfection. Hell give those guys a raise because Andre is back.
But wait, I thought our training staff and team doctors were all a bunch of moronic mouth-breathers incapable of competently diagnosing and treating anything more serious than a paper cut? (Or was that the Strength and Conditioning staff?)
Old 11-23-2012   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson produces best back-to-back in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Right, I didn't even know Aj had 188 till after the game, looking at the stats. I figured he had about 7 or 8 catches, & probably just over 100 yards.

I was wrong about his ability to stretch the field. He had a forty something a thirty something, a couple of 20s...... & there was that big one Matt over threw him on (yeah, I was wrong about that too).

Yeah, he stretched the $hit out of that field.
Good of you to man up
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #44
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

He never left.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #45
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Thanks for the piece 417.
Repped
No problem amd you welcome. Thank you HOuston for having a good football team since ones in my state are horrible to watch.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
He never left.
Haha good one.
Old 11-23-2012   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417Texan View Post
No problem amd you welcome. Thank you HOuston for having a good football team since ones in my state are horrible to watch.
Just move to Houston.
We've got plenty of space around here.
Old 11-23-2012   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Sadly for AJ the suspense is usually immediately over after a catch.
Like on the touchdown that ended the Jags OT game?

Btw, Smith and Fitzgerald average 0.3 additional yards after catch. Marshall averages 0.8 yards less after the catch.

The more you know....
Old 11-23-2012   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Like on the touchdown that ended the Jags OT game?

Btw, Smith and Fitzgerald average 0.3 additional yards after catch. Marshall averages 0.8 yards less after the catch.

The more you know....
Or to look at it a different way, percentage of yards which come from YAC:

AJ 29%
CJ 23%
Roddy White 24%
Steve Smith 29%
Brandon Marshall 27%
AJ Green 27%

Looks to me like AJ is doing just fine for being such a slow pansy.
Old 11-23-2012   #50
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe I'm nitpicking here but I think AJ leaves a lot of yards on the field after a catch.
You aren't nitpicking; you're baiting.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
You aren't nitpicking; you're baiting.
I think you might be right. Well done young Sir.
Old 11-23-2012   #52
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 45112 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Or to look at it a different way, percentage of yards which come from YAC:

AJ 29%
CJ 23%
Roddy White 24%
Steve Smith 29%
Brandon Marshall 27%
AJ Green 27%

Looks to me like AJ is doing just fine for being such a slow pansy.
I swear. Folks here in this forum reads a post, focus on an undertone, developed tunnel vision and runaway with their own spins on it.
In my post I said AJ is beast, still has all the tools, is physically more gifted than the 10 ten receiver in this league. I gave him more props than anybody in this thread. At what point did I say he was slow or declining? Hell, ealier I compared him to KIng Kong. To KIng Kong!

In regards to the YAC stats. Those numbers are misleading and is subjective and relative to where a WR catches the ball. AJ has benefit from passes that allows him spaces to run forward. Someone like Marshall catches a lot of passes from tight high-traffic coverages. But yet, he makes the most of it and manages to be among the league leaders every season in that category.

I just got through watching NFL rewind, Panthers vs Bucs, there was a play by Steve Smith: He caught a short fade toward the sideline, instead of running out of bound he stop short letting a CB run by him. It was a play that seems to last forever. He ended up running all the way across the other side of the field after dodging linemans, linebackers and safteys along the way. It was truly a wild sequences. He finished the play off by pushing off Ronde Barber at the side of his facemask and can be heard yelling "Get off me punk!"
All that running and scrambling only got him 3 extra yards. In hindsight it was probrably a foolish play but man, that got me pump up even though I'm no Panthers fan. Just the fact that there's so much fight in that guy is admirable.

AJ is built like the ultimate bad-ass. On one-on-one situation with a DB's it's heartbreaking to see him cover up the ball and concedes to be tackle.

Maybe AJ is playing it safe to extend his playing career, which make perfect sense. I guess the worst thing I can say about Andre Johnson is he's maybe the best possession/route-running WR in the game. If that's the best we can get from him then I gladly take it. Is it enough to bring a Super Bowl title to Houston? I surely hope so.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #53
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I swear. Folks here in this forum reads a post, focus on an undertone, developed tunnel vision and runaway with their own spins on it.
In my post I said AJ is beast, still has all the tools, is physically more gifted than the 10 ten receiver in this league. I gave him more props than anybody in this thread. At what point did I say he was slow or declining? Hell, ealier I compared him to KIng Kong. To KIng Kong!

In regards to the YAC stats. Those numbers are misleading and is subjective and relative to where a WR catches the ball. AJ has benefit from passes that allows him spaces to run forward. Someone like Marshall catches a lot of passes from tight high-traffic coverages. But yet, he makes the most of it and manages to be among the league leaders every season in that category.

I just got through watching NFL rewind, Panthers vs Bucs, there was a play by Steve Smith: He caught a short fade toward the sideline, instead of running out of bound he stop short letting a CB run by him. It was a play that seems to last forever. He ended up running all the way across the other side of the field after dodging linemans, linebackers and safteys along the way. It was truly a wild sequences. He finished the play off by pushing off Ronde Barber at the side of his facemask and can be heard yelling "Get off me punk!"
All that running and scrambling only got him 3 extra yards. In hindsight it was probrably a foolish play but man, that got me pump up even though I'm no Panthers fan. Just the fact that there's so much fight in that guy is admirable.

AJ is built like the ultimate bad-ass. On one-on-one situation with a DB's it's heartbreaking to see him cover up the ball and concedes to be tackle.

Maybe AJ is playing it safe to extend his playing career, which make perfect sense. I guess the worst thing I can say about Andre Johnson is he's maybe the best possession/route-running WR in the game. If that's the best we can get from him then I gladly take it. Is it enough to bring a Super Bowl title to Houston? I surely hope so.
Ummmm you said he leaves a lot of yards on the field and infantry was just pointing out that he gets more YAC than any other WR. I think you just had a voice in your head saying god knows what.
Old 11-23-2012   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you actually watch Texans games? The idea AJ is running free and not in traffic more than other top WR's is ludicrous.
Old 11-23-2012   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

So how many yards did Steve Smith collect after that catch?

But who cares how it gets done.
Greg Cosell, widely considered as the guru of game film still sees AJ as premier receiver in the league (a hair above Megation).
That says a lot.

Andre Johnson, not Calvin Johnson, NFL's top receiver?
By Dan Hanzus (NFL Writer)
July 16, 2012

As for the No. 1 spot, Cosell says a 2011 hamstring injury -- and the relative low profile that comes with playing for the Houston Texans -- makes it easy to forget how special Andre Johnson is. Cosell calls the difference between Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson "microscopic," but says the Texans' Johnson is "more purely athletic and explosive."

"When you watch him on film, you see the quickness, lateral agility and short-area burst of a much smaller man," Cosell wrote. "... Talk to many receivers and defensive backs in the league, and they will tell you that his combination of size, speed and sheer athleticism is off the charts. They have never seen another receiver like him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...s-top-receiver
Old 11-24-2012   #56
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Just move to Houston.
We've got plenty of space around here.
Funny used to live in DFW and me and old lady want to maybe retire in Texas. The Missouri winters can be a beatdown.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #57
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just up this one:

Andre Johnson named AFC Offensive Player of the month for November

Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans

AFC Offensive Player of the Month @johnson80 had 35 catches for 614 yards in November. He averaged 153.5 yards a game!
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 373208 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson has been named AFC Offensive Player of the Month

“I’ve been telling you guys I’ve been feeling better and better every week,” Johnson said.

“Maybe you guys will believe me after that." After Johnson's 273 yard game.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Quote:
RT @TexansVoice: Any conversation about best WR today still must include him "@NickScurfield: Andre Johnson - AFC Off. Player of Month"

In 4 games in November, @johnson80 topped 100 rec yds 3x & 175 2x. Set @nfl record w/ 461 yards in a 2-game span #Texans

Andre Johnson has been named AFC Offensive Player of the Month. Averaged 153.5 receiving yards in 4 Nov. games #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just up this one:

Andre Johnson named AFC Offensive Player of the month for November

That's pretty sick.

If I hadn't admitted I was wrong for saying Andre Johnson's best days are behind him.... I was wrong.
Old 11-29-2012   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Andre Johnson has been named AFC Offensive Player of the Month

This has been posted in the AJ's back thread.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read