Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Alan Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i was wondering if they were ever gonna start double covering CJ. I mean lord have mercy i wouldnt be so worried with 1 on 1 with jo jo but i didnt see much help from the safties to start the game. HOWEVER in the 2nd half i saw manning helping with CJ nearly every play.
No, that's not what you saw. Didn't happen.
Old 11-22-2012   #22
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
he went up with the BEST WR in the NFL ill say again the BEST WR in the ""NFL"" freaking Megatron just a Beast/monster of a WR physicaly

and did "good"
False.
Andre Johnson is the best receiver in the NFL and he proved that again today.

As far as Ball he played horrible most of the day but we should not have had him in that situation.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I agree with you generally and especially on the TD play. But, KJ played CJ enough tighter that Stafford chose not to even throw at him much.
KJ did play a bit tighter .... was just pointing out that Ball stepped in and gave a hell of an effort on the best WR in the game today ...

To be completely honest , I thought the secondary played a pretty good game overall today. Some of the windows Stafford was throwing thru today were microscopic. Both of his TD pases had to be pinpoint accurate or they were incomplete or worse picked off.

Their LBers are the weakness of that defense .... their front four are a nasty bunch and their secondary is pretty solid. They play in a tough division and probably are better than their record.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Even when he got moved to the other receivers, he was still getting beat.
The only other play I'd say he got beat on was that Broyles reception that was in effect a broken play .... as Stafford was forced out of the pocket , prior to Broyles breaking deep , Ball had really good coverage on the play.

You really cant expect DB's in the NFL to cover for 8 seconds or more and not give up some plays.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #25
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ball did a better job than i thought he would have there were some catchs by CJ that he could not have stopped.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #26
wtp
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 wtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respectedwtp is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed, he played better than I expected, but he's no J-Jo
wtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Alan ball looks like Kareem looked last year. In pre season he looked like rookie Kareem.

Maybe by the play offs he'll be making those plays he barely missed on.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #28
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Sink or swim for Ball is what it looks like the coaches were thinking.
Old 11-23-2012   #29
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Secondary cant cover forever. Pass rush needs to be more consistant. Watt can't do it all. It picked up in second half and OT but it's time for Barwin and gang to help out.
Old 11-23-2012   #30
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
False.
Andre Johnson is the best receiver in the NFL and he proved that again today.

As far as Ball he played horrible most of the day but we should not have had him in that situation.

CJ at this time is better imo. Dre coming up with two really good games doesnt change that

Ball didnt play horrible. Im wondering if you were watching the game at all
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #31
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Secondary cant cover forever. Pass rush needs to be more consistant. Watt can't do it all. It picked up in second half and OT but it's time for Barwin and gang to help out.
This. I have yet to hear the announcers mention anybody's name on the defensive line other then JJ Watt. Watt is the only one who is fighting to the very end while Antonio Smith and Shaun Cody (?) are just doing the bare minimum.

As far as Alan Ball is concerned, he played average IMO. For me, as long as he improves game-by-game, I'll be happy.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #32
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

All things considered (he normally our dime cb), Ball played pretty good against the best WR in the game.

Instead of a thread on him, there should be one on Brice McCain...he's been getting eaten alive in the slot since the Denver game.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #33
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
This. I have yet to hear the announcers mention anybody's name on the defensive line other then JJ Watt. Watt is the only one who is fighting to the very end while Antonio Smith and Shaun Cody (?) are just doing the bare minimum.

As far as Alan Ball is concerned, he played average IMO. For me, as long as he improves game-by-game, I'll be happy.
Shaun Cody has been out the last couple of games with an injury. Mitchell has replaced him with Crick spotting Mitchell at times. The Texans picked up another NT a few weeks ago named Terrell McLain (I think.) but I haven't seen him on the field yet and don't even know if he's been activated.

As for Antonio and the others "doing the bare minimum," I don't necessarily think that's true. I think they are good players doing what they can, but JJ is a great player who has the drive and/or athletic ability that the others don't have as much of. Players like JJ, with the complete package, only come along once in a long long time. Baring injury, he should be going into the HOF when his playing days are done. Enjoy his play now and hope the Texans can hang on to him and win some SB's!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #34
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

what i dont get is in what scenario anyone would put their #4 cornerback on arguably the best receiver in the game ... and then you dont mandate a double team. how does that make a lick of sense? why use your #4 corner, when your #2 is on the field and provides a much better matchup? we saw that kareem was much more effective on calvin, and that stafford was trying to pick on ball regardless of who he was covering ... so why put him on the best? i cant wrap my head around it.
Old 11-23-2012   #35
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Shaun Cody has been out the last couple of games with an injury. Mitchell has replaced him with Crick spotting Mitchell at times. The Texans picked up another NT a few weeks ago named Terrell McLain (I think.) but I haven't seen him on the field yet and don't even know if he's been activated.

As for Antonio and the others "doing the bare minimum," I don't necessarily think that's true. I think they are good players doing what they can, but JJ is a great player who has the drive and/or athletic ability that the others don't have as much of. Players like JJ, with the complete package, only come along once in a long long time. Baring injury, he should be going into the HOF when his playing days are done. Enjoy his play now and hope the Texans can hang on to him and win some SB's!
Hmmm, did not know that Cody was out with an injury. I know about McClain, he was drafted by the Panthers but was a major bust which is why he was released.

I guess when you have guys like JJ, he makes others look like there complete crap.
Old 11-23-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
With a pass rush, I think Ball would have done fine.
Old 11-23-2012   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I guess when you have guys like JJ, he makes others look like there complete crap.
Not to the extent that we are seeing. There's going to be a gap between Watt & the other guys. Watt is a star. Bona-fide bad-ass. Smith is doing about what he's expected to, however I don't remember hearing his name at all. He should have made a few plays yesterday. Maybe not a sack but a tackle would have been nice. A pass defensed, I'd even take a late hit on the QB the way Stafford was slinging it yesterday. Edit: Smith did have 1 pass defensed

Brooks, Merci, Barwin..... Did you see them make a play on the other side of the LOS, I didn't.

We should expect more from our DL.
Old 11-23-2012   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brooks, Merci, Barwin..... Did you see them make a play on the other side of the LOS, I didn't.

Antonio was credited with 7 pressures.

Barwin leveled Stafford as he released the ball once.
Old 11-23-2012   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Antonio was credited with 7 pressures.

Barwin leveled Stafford as he released the ball once.
Well that's obviously not good enough as Stafford was pitching tents in the backfield.
Old 11-23-2012   #40
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not to the extent that we are seeing. There's going to be a gap between Watt & the other guys. Watt is a star. Bona-fide bad-ass. Smith is doing about what he's expected to, however I don't remember hearing his name at all. He should have made a few plays yesterday. Maybe not a sack but a tackle would have been nice. A pass defensed, I'd even take a late hit on the QB the way Stafford was slinging it yesterday. Edit: Smith did have 1 pass defensed

I haven't heard much from Meci, unless if he's being brought in selectively (is he even a starter?) and Barwin has struggled this season and has been unable to get to the quarterback (or maybe because Watt get's there first lol)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read