Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2012   #161
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson allowing only 2.5 receptions and 35 yards per game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Fine if you guys think that he sucked.
It wasn't just the fans that thought KJ wasn't good.

The current defensive coaching staff pretty much acknowledged that when they came in, but they felt like they could help him get better.

It's really ridiculous for you to act like Kareem has been a good player all along. His technique was lacking (according to his own coaches) and he was not great covering the long ball (according to his own coaches).

KJ has gotten much better. Last game he got beat some. It happens. It's the nature of being an athlete, more importantly an NFL corner. Kareem is a more complete player now than he has ever been. Instead of not having players around him to make him look better, he is the player that is making others look better.

You are really selling Kareem short by not acknowledging how much he's improved. That's part of his story. Took major flak...people wanted to run him out of town...he didn't listen...he just worked...and then worked some more....

Major props to Kareem for not losing confidence even when he was splitting time with Allen and just continuing to work. He's a legit starting corner now.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #162
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I was going to post a long retort but luckily realized it would be a waste of time. Intead I just repped 76 and will post this.

76 stuck his neck and reputation on the line by defending KJ. He breaks down more film than probably anybody on the board and seems to have a much better football acumen than most on the board. He defended the undefendable and over time has been proven to be more than correct. This is the second time he has done this (Chris Myers).

76 is 2/2 when he really makes a point to defend someone. Next time we have a player getting trashed on the boards and 76 defends them it would probably be wise to listen to him.
Old 11-21-2012   #163
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You can get tired of whatever. The undisputed fact is that KJax is your starter.
Fine if you guys think that he sucked.
What I wanted to ask you is what was your prediction of what he will turn out to be after that "disastrous" season.
And let just end the discussion at that.

EU already admit that he was wrong on that part.
By his own admission, there was no way in hell that a guy like KJax can improve.

What was your take?
Shortened version (edited down):

My prediction was that he had 3 years to grow and blossom, or he should be moved to nickel back.

After 2010, to be honest I was actually thinking in 2011 that he might be moved to nickel back in the middle of that season...but Wade and Coach Joseph believed in him and it paid off. They made him split snaps with Allen, and it slowed things down for him. It culminated into his best game as a pro: The Ravens playoff game.

At that point, I was intrigued by his potential for 2012.

Without beating a dead horse here, the guy was bad in 2010...not turning his head around, drawing P.I.'s like crazy, and falling down on every field he played on. After every game, we were treated to screen shots that showed various reasons why KJ still played decently. I didn't buy it then, don't buy it now. When he fails, he fails. I would even wager that in Wade's meetings to this day, KJ is getting criticism for the things he did wrong in the most recent game. On here though, it was always some outside force that betrayed the greatness of Kareem Jackson.
Old 11-21-2012   #164
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I was going to post a long retort but luckily realized it would be a waste of time. Intead I just repped 76 and will post this.

76 stuck his neck and reputation on the line by defending KJ. He breaks down more film than probably anybody on the board and seems to have a much better football acumen than most on the board. He defended the undefendable and over time has been proven to be more than correct. This is the second time he has done this (Chris Myers).

76 is 2/2 when he really makes a point to defend someone. Next time we have a player getting trashed on the boards and 76 defends them it would probably be wise to listen to him.
Defending a player's long-time worth/value is not the same as habitually, after every game, finding a way to show that player's strengths while limiting the exposure of that same player's faults.

Truth be told, none of the 11 guys out there on the field are bad. It's just that some have fewer Doh! Homer Simpson moments than others. I like it when a poster can see positive aspects in a player, but to only be shown the positives and to never show the negatives??? Ummm OK, whatev.

Being unhappy is part of being a fan. And there's always a chance a player regresses out of nowhere, too, and I pray this isn't the case for KJ. He's been phenomenal this year. If we really hated KJ, we'd have threads that rake him over the coals for the things he does wrong this year. I haven't seen those threads, have you? It's year 3, and technically he's made it.
Old 11-21-2012   #165
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Kareem Jackson allowing only 2.5 receptions and 35 yards per game

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Being unhappy is part of being a fan.
I think it's a choice.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #166
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of you guys are just too much.
You only read what you you want to read.

When I talked about Chris Myers, I admitted that he had his own bad plays.
I defended the plays in which I don't think he "sucked", but rather the guy next to him.
I didn't need to bring up his bad plays, because plenty of people already talked about them.

The same goes with KJ; I said exactly the same thing.

If you want to go into the details; it's very simple.
You can review this most current game.

Check out all of the pass plays (or just the longest ones) by the Jags.

1. The short one where KJax missed the tackle; he was on an island as the Texans were in zero coverage and brought a six-man blitz. That blitz left the throwing lane wide open on KJ's side. The pass rush FAILED him BIG TIME.

2. The one that Blackmon caught for 39 yards in the middle, KJax was also on an island. Look on the other side, why is it that Quin and JJo was doubling on Shorts?

Why is it that KJax draw Shorts in single coverage, and JJo needs a double coverage?

3. In the first quarter, Manning got help from Quin against Blackmon in the slot, and still got burned for 63 yards.

4. In the first quarter, Quin was turned around and burned by the TE Lewis for a 13yd TD pass; Manning backed him up but couldn't outjump the guy.

5. In the fourth quarter, McCain got help from a LB initially; then both safeties converged. Somehow, the whole bunch allowed Blackmon to catch the ball and escape for an 81 yd TD.

So did one or both safeties help out the other guys more, you bet they did!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #167
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

All young players can use improvement after their rookie year, especially one who was drafted as a Junior, whether he's a CB or a LB, or whatever.

"Suck" was Patrick Peterson, who was drafted way higher, had decent safety help and still gave up more than KJax.

A rookie season by KJax should be considered "on track" or at worst "average".

Remember how D. Brown "struggled" earlier and had to be spelled every third series by Salaam in the later part of the season?

That platoon system was suggested by me during PS; the coaches didn't do it until late. I expected that the rookie LT will struggle early if they threw him into the fire. And he did.

In Cushing rookie year, I said that if they put him in coverage too often, too soon, he will "struggle" and he did (Dallas Clark).
It wasn't because he didn't have the ability; the reason was that he wasn't asked to do much of it at USC.

Some fans have too high of an expectation for first-round draft choices.
Sure, some will flourish if he's used in a way that helps him succeed.

Take Clay Matthews or Von Miller for example; they came in and basically all they (the coaches) want them to do is to be edge rushers.

Take McCourty for example; the Pats play a safety over the top and told McCourty to play aggressive and he did well as a rookie in that role.
When they do this, obviously, the Pats were either in cover 2 or they left the other CB on an island.
McCourty struggled in the second half of the season when they started asking him to do more.

There's another young CB the Pats just drafted, Dennard; he also had some successes in the few games he played in, due to the same scheme. And he was a mere #224 pick.
Yes, scheme matters.
Old 11-22-2012   #168
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

From my observation, it looked like we put Kareem on Calvin Johnson in the second half. I think CJ only had two, maybe three catches in the second half, Stafford looked, then moved on in his progression.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think I saw.
Old 11-22-2012   #169
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
From my observation, it looked like we put Kareem on Calvin Johnson in the second half. I think CJ only had two, maybe three catches in the second half, Stafford looked, then moved on in his progression.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think I saw.
The longest one was in cover 3, my original observation.
Boy looks the part. I'm very happy.
Old 11-22-2012   #170
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont kno why they didnt have KJac on CJ all game, He shut him down in the 2nd half once they made the transition.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #171
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

KJ making his case for the pro bowl.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #172
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

C Johnson had five catches for 103 yards and a touchdown against Ball in the first half.

We switch. Then Jackson limited C Johnson to three receptions for 37 yards in the second half plus a long overtime.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #173
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
C Johnson had five catches for 103 yards and a touchdown against Ball in the first half.

We switch. Then Jackson limited C Johnson to three receptions for 37 yards in the second half plus a long overtime.
He did get help from Manning on that pass into the endzone. I guess you have to cover the #1 receiver to get good safety help nowadays.
Old 11-23-2012   #174
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 51078 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

In the print version of Chronicle today under Texans Report page C5. (sorry couldn't find it online)

Quote:
At the half, Kareem Jackson went to coach Vance Joseph to talk about changing assignments.
Kareem said "Let me chase him"
Vance said "Start chasing him"
I think this is huge. So the coach didn't put Kareem on Johnson, Kareem did.
Old 11-23-2012   #175
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
In the print version of Chronicle today under Texans Report page C5. (sorry couldn't find it online)

That just warms my heart all over...

The youngin is developing the swagger that is needed to play as a starting cb in this league....& its not just bumping of the gums either (dante hall anyone?) he's actually backing it up on the field.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #176
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

That's awesome. He's now my favorite player.
Old 11-23-2012   #177
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
At the half, Kareem Jackson went to coach Vance Joseph to talk about changing assignments.
Kareem said "Let me chase him"
Vance said "Start chasing him"

KJac Da GAWD
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #178
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Another positive step in his growth.
I am happy to witness the guy's development year to year.
Old 12-05-2012   #179
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Cornerback Kareem Jackson allowed a catch rate of 61.3 in 2011, which was close to league average. This year he has allowed a catch rate of 46.4, which is the 10th-best in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...tions-week-13/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #180
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Cornerback Kareem Jackson allowed a catch rate of 61.3 in 2011, which was close to league average. This year he has allowed a catch rate of 46.4, which is the 10th-best in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...tions-week-13/
Can you post the list of the top 10?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read