Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2012   #61
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
did he throw a pick in the fourth qtr and ot? to be honest not sure, almost positive about ot pick but not about the other one
He threw a 4th quarter pick and responded with 16 consecutive completions and 2 TD drives.

He threw a pick in OT and responded with the game winning touchdown.

Seems pretty Elway-ish to me.
Old 11-21-2012   #62
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

When you throw it as many times as he did you can expect some mistakes. Point is in the 4th with 4 minutes to go he led us down the field for a TD to tie it, and then with a minute to go he led us to the 35 yard line where Graham made his inital FG but Caldwell had a false start. So you take away the false start you take away the OT int. i would say Schaub was pretty clutch on sunday.
Old 11-21-2012   #63
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd have to see Schaub lead a few more 4th quarter come backs before I'd call him clutch but it sure was nice to see him do it once. We usually have a lead in the 4th and there's no need for him to carry a late comeback, hopefully we don't have the need for him to prove it again.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #64
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'd have to see Schaub lead a few more 4th quarter come backs before I'd call him clutch but it sure was nice to see him do it once. We usually have a lead in the 4th and there's no need for him to carry a late comeback, hopefully we don't have the need for him to prove it again.
He has done this multiple times.

Problem we had before was the defense would let the other team score after.
Old 11-21-2012   #65
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember the "We want Sage" game against Miami back in '08? Schaub made tons
of clutch 4th down throws on the final drive, and scored the game winning touchdown
himself. Whoever saw Sage as a better QB option than Matt was a fool, and I said so
even back then.
Old 11-21-2012   #66
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I ought to bookmark this post for those people referenced above who think that Schaub can't lead his team to comebacks:

1. 2007 against Miami. Brings team back from 16-7 deficit. Drives the team from its own 3 to a last-second FG in the greatest game Kris Brown ever had.

2. 2008 at Jacksonville. Leads the team to a tying FG in a drive that began with less than 2:00 left. Texans lose the OT cointoss and never see the ball again.

3. 2008 against Miami (the year Miami rode the Wildcat to the playoffs). The QB draw for the win after leading a 90-yard drive in the last two minutes, featuring a great 4th down catch by Dre.

4. 2008 at Green Bay. Texans down by 1 heading into the fourth quarter, Schaub leads them back to the win. Another game-winning drive that started inside the Texans' five.

5. 2009 at Tennessee. Overcomes a 21-7 deficit and a ridiculous peformance by Chris Johnson (this was the game where we forgot to cover him when he split wide) to beat a team that was coming off a 13-3 record.

6. 2009 at Arizona. Brought team back from 21-0 deficit. But he threw a pick-6 at the end to lose the game. Still, he put the team on his back.

7. 2009 at Indy. Overcame 13-0 deficit to take a 17-13 lead. After Indy went back up, Schaub orchestrated a beautiful drive to set up Brown to tie the game. But Brown's downward spiral began here as his kick went wide.

8. 2009 v. New England. Brought Texans back from 2 TD deficit to win the game in the fourth quarter. Last game of the season, and the Texans put themselves in position for the playoffs, but they didn't get the help they needed in the late games.

9. 2010 at Washington. Rallies team from 27-10 for a stirring comeback win.

10. 2010 v. Kansas City. Overcomes a 10 point 4th quarter deficit and tosses game-winning TD with :11 left.

11. 2010 at Jacksonville. Erases 14 point deficit at half and then, after they fell behind again, he brought them back to a tie. Until the Texans pitiful D couldn't stop a Hail Mary.

12. 2010 at NY Jets. Rallies Texans back from 17 down against the Jets at their peak under Rex Ryan. Only to have the defense surrender an 80-yard TD drive with less than a minute to go to Mark Sanchez.

13. 2010 v. Baltimore. Sort of the 2008 Cardinal game redux. Erases a 21 point deficit in a frenzied comeback only to be undone by a pick-6. Still, he played about as well as he's ever played in throwing the Texans back into the ballgame.

14. Yesterday.

Just off the top of my head . . .
From another thread.
Old 11-21-2012   #67
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 8317 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
He has done this multiple times.

Problem we had before was the defense would let the other team score after.
Not the Ravens game.

Clutch is a BS term. It can't be measured or defined. If Schaub wasn't injury prone, his success and standing in the league would be unquestioned.

Schaub has 8 fourth quarter comebacks. I still think he is a rhythm passer with a weaker than average arm, but the passing routes Kubiak designs makes up for it on everything except deep balls. Schaub has gotten much better since he has been here, and is obviously comfortable running quick pace "everyone knows you are throwing it" scoring drives.

I would love to magically give him more arm strength and RGIII type speed, but he doesn't have that and never will. Meanwhile he is doing very well with what he does have.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #68
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Not the Ravens game.

Clutch is a BS term. It can't be measured or defined. If Schaub wasn't injury prone, his success and standing in the league would be unquestioned.

Schaub has 8 fourth quarter comebacks. I still think he is a rhythm passer with a weaker than average arm, but the passing routes Kubiak designs makes up for it on everything except deep balls. Schaub has gotten much better since he has been here, and is obviously comfortable running quick pace "everyone knows you are throwing it" scoring drives.

I would love to magically give him more arm strength and RGIII type speed, but he doesn't have that and never will. Meanwhile he is doing very well with what he does have.

If you think Clutch is a BS term Id like to inform you that your use of the term "injury prone" is bs
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #69
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just can't call a guy clutch when none of this clutch was in the playoffs or against other top notch teams. Sorry just can't do it. He'll get his shot , till then not buying it
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #70
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 8317 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
If you think Clutch is a BS term Id like to inform you that your use of the term "injury prone" is bs
Yeah, I realize not too many people agree with me there. But I still stick with Injury Prone being defined as

having a tendency or inclination : being likely -----------> to be injured and thus missing time.

I made a thread on it.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=86941\
I have no idea why people feel so strongly about the term, except it might have other connotations for them, but that isn't really my issue.

There isn't an unbiased metric for "clutchness" which is why I called it BS.
Old 11-21-2012   #71
JamesBill
Veteran

In the last 20 years, I can't name a QB worse than Schaub, or not a freaking Hall of Famer, to win a Super Bowl except Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. Both of those guys had an all time great defense, and were under a very different rule system.

MY worry about Schaub is, have the rules have changed so much that without an elite QB it might be almost impossible to win it all. Elite quarterbacks have become priceless. Really legit starters are priceless, but an elite quarterback these days can destroy any defense if he is hot. You can't hit him, his receivers, and pass interference is constantly called.

I guess the league did this for more excitement, and to increase comeback ability so people don't turn off their TVs knowing the game is over, but IMO it has backfired lessening the parity. Can a team win a Superbowl these days without a superstar quarterback, or a QB playing like a superstar? It is obviously extremely difficult, which makes a championship a realistic possibility for very few teams, moving the NFL closer to the realities of the NBA and away from building teams.

The fact is Schaub is the 6th best quarterback among the 8 division leaders in the NFL, which makes it highly likely every QB the Texans face in the playoffs is better.
Old 11-21-2012   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Not the Ravens game.

Whether we like it or not, the QB is associated with wins & losses way more than any other player. As long as Schaub is the leader of what was until recently a bunch of losers, no one is going to put the clutch label on Schaub.

Doesn't matter that the defense gave away twice as many wins as he's credited for. That's not going to change.

If we win the Super Bowl, Schaub will be called clutch.
Old 11-21-2012   #73
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll base this off of 'feeling' and nothing more....

When we are on a crucial drive late in the game I 'feel' we have a good shot but I don't feel confident...

If Matt throws a game winning touchdown I wouldn't be shocked at all. If he throws a game losing INT I wouldn't be shocked at all.

I don't have supreme confidence that he'll get it done. I don't have supreme confidence that he won't.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'll base this off of 'feeling' and nothing more....

When we are on a crucial drive late in the game I 'feel' we have a good shot but I don't feel confident...

If Matt throws a game winning touchdown I wouldn't be shocked at all. If he throws a game losing INT I wouldn't be shocked at all.

I don't have supreme confidence that he'll get it done. I don't have supreme confidence that he won't.

He's medi-clutch.
Sounds like Romo
Old 11-21-2012   #75
JamesBill
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Whether we like it or not, the QB is associated with wins & losses way more than any other player. As long as Schaub is the leader of what was until recently a bunch of losers, no one is going to put the clutch label on Schaub.

Doesn't matter that the defense gave away twice as many wins as he's credited for. That's not going to change.

If we win the Super Bowl, Schaub will be called clutch.
I agree, although it may actually be much more valid these days. Look how scary the Broncos are now, and how bad the Colts were with a scrub.

I also agree views will be widely changed if he wins a superbowl. It might even make my comparison to previous superbowl winners less valid because we give massive credit to QBs who win superbowls. Kinda self fufilling prophecy, or chicken and the egg (?) whatever.

Your point about being "clutch" is wrong IMO, but that just shows how bad the term is. I doubt very many people have the same definition, so it seems pointless to argue over it.
Old 11-21-2012   #76
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone point to a QB, any QB who is always clutch? Invariably will win the game on the final drive if need be. Always steps up when the pressure is on and never falls short of success?

Schaub can be clutch. I think "can be" is all you can ask for in this situation. Like Infantrycak said earlier in this thread all kinds of things can affect whether or not that game ends up being a win or a loss and most of them aren't directly related to what your QB is capable of. You want a guy who can do it and then you hope the rest of it works out in your favor.
Old 11-21-2012   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Can someone point to a QB, any QB who is always clutch? Invariably will win the game on the final drive if need be. Always steps up when the pressure is on and never falls short of success?
Eh.... several QBs have the reputation for being clutch, that's as good as it gets. Schaub does not have that reputation.
Old 11-21-2012   #78
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Clutch or no clutch or automatic or manual, we already have a winning season with best record in the NFL along with Atlanta which tells me we are playing damn good football so far.

I am looking forward to Texans winning Lombardi this year.

When the Texans achieve this, media will stop questioning about if Schaub is clutch or not and they will start talking about how Schaub is an elite QB. It usually comes down to winning Lombardi trophy or at least participate in SB. You see, people(media and some fans here) are not convinced until Schaub takes us to promise land.

Personally, I am happy with how Schaub been playing this year.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #79
JamesBill
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Most people will go with Eli. His 4th quarter splits are crazy and he has made some seriously awesome, memorable plays. Two 4th quarter comebacks in the superbowl doesn't hurt either.
Old 11-21-2012   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Most people will go with Eli. His 4th quarter splits are crazy and he has made some seriously awesome, memorable plays. Two 4th quarter comebacks in the superbowl doesn't hurt either.
I'm not his biggest fan. But I respect that guy for being able to take a beating & keep on playing.

You watch some QBs & it's easily predictable. Sack..... next play will be a run. David Carr was that way. If he took a sack, the next play is 98.7986% the next play was going to be a run.

& for most QBs, it's highly likely, especially after a big sack.

Watch Eli. If he gets sacked, even one where he is planted & takes several minutes to get up.

The next play is most likely a 50 yard bomb.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read