Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2012   #81
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41467 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Besides Watt, D-line simply just not getting done this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I said this way earlier in the season, but this defense looks a lot better with a true pass rushing threat on the outside. The defense would go from really good to f'n scary. Wouldn't have to blitz as much which would allow more people in coverage.
You mean like Aldon Smith ? He was incredible last night and might be the man to assume Demarcus Ware's crown as the best edge-rusher in the NFL ?
If given the choice, would you take Aldon Smith or JJ ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #82
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
You mean like Aldon Smith ? He was incredible last night and might be the man to assume Demarcus Ware's crown as the best edge-rusher in the NFL ?
Oooh... good question.
If I can take these homer glasses off (gimme a sec, they seem to be stuck to my head).... I would probably take Watt. But given what I've seen of both, that's a no-lose choice. I'm thinking Wade could make either into a weapon.

If Barwin is elsewhere next season, I figure Wade gives Mercilus the starting job. Do we draft another rusher to match and let Reed be the third guy in the OLB rotation?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
You need both, an inside guy & an outside guy. Is Antonio Smith good enough to provide that inside pressure? Would Aldon Smith be as successful with only Antonio doing the job inside?

I don't know. But you've got to have a strong presence both inside & out. If Ratcliff has a bad year, Ware will have a down year. If Justin Smith isn't doing his job, Aldon Smith will not be able to do his job as affectively.

If Igor wasn't getting his push, Merriman wasn't as dynamic as he could be.

Of course, two outside guys can work as well.
Old 11-20-2012   #84
guichows6
Rookie

Thank god barwin has been exposed this season. We were gonna PAY the guy a contract that I never thought he was worth. I was not impressed last year either. He got most of his sacks against the jags if I remember correctly. At least now we can pay gq or some or someone thats actually worth it. Yea sure, barwin does all the other lil things right, but pass rushing just isnt one of them. Reed sucks too, but id say hes going thru a sophomore slump and has in my opinion a lot more upside than barwin.

Im not hating on Barwin the person cause im sure hes a great guy, but barwin the pass rusher just isnt getting it done.
Old 11-20-2012   #85
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely disappointed in the OLB's passrush this season. I'm not sure what's up with Barwin, but he's reminding me of MW in that he always seems to be just a tad too late. He is also doing pretty well against the run, again like MW. The difference is in the $$ spent. I'm for resigning Barwin, but at a much more cap-friendly hit than might've otherwise been.

I've been pleased with the Ninja this season. I think he does a damn good job when he isn't getting silly penalties.

Merci seems to be bringing the high motor we thought he would have but has made his share of rookie mistakes, like getting caught up inside and not setting the edge on a few plays.
Old 11-20-2012   #86
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Merci has been filling in great. He makes the most out of his minutes, but only during pass plays.

Watch him when the offense runs. He's sooooo aggressive ( why he's good on a pass rush) that he loses contain on a run. I think that is one reason the coaches are hesitant to give him more time. He will figure it out and be a good one.
Now somebody has to put a boot up CB and BR azzzz and get them going. Running out of games.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #87
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it true that Barwin put on a bit of weight in the offseason? I heard he tried to get stronger, but I'm afraid that was at the expense of losing some speed.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Is it true that Barwin put on a bit of weight in the offseason? I heard he tried to get stronger, but I'm afraid that was at the expense of losing some speed.
That, and I think part of it is also due to the scheme.

It seems to me that often times, Wade wants the OLBs to contain the edges so that the guys in the interior can make play (whether by penetrating or batting down a pass).

Actually, I like this scheme better because the path to the QB is shorter and if the offense tries a draw play, the penetration inside will be effective as well.

Another plus is we won't have to pay a truckload for edge rusher.

I think Wade is very smart in making the best out of his depth chart.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Another plus is we won't have to pay a truckload for edge rusher.

I think Wade is very smart in making the best out of his depth chart.
Sorry, but if you think Wade wouldn't like to have a premier pass rusher, or that he's limiting a pass rusher's opportunities to get after the QB... I'm going to have to accuse you of visiting Colorado a little too much.

Wade knows, especially with today's rules, to win, you've got to disrupt the QB, got to make him uncomfortable. If you can't do that, you get what we had last week....
Old 11-20-2012   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Sorry, but if you think Wade wouldn't like to have a premier pass rusher, or that he's limiting a pass rusher's opportunities to get after the QB... I'm going to have to accuse you of visiting Colorado a little too much.

Wade knows, especially with today's rules, to win, you've got to disrupt the QB, got to make him uncomfortable. If you can't do that, you get what we had last week....
There are different ways to skin a cat. Why do you think Wade has been employing a smaller NT?

I don't mind visiting the mile-high state from time to time. I had a little "hippy" in me during college
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #91
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There are different ways to skin a cat. Why do you think Wade has been employing a smaller NT?

I don't mind visiting the mile-high state from time to time. I had a little "hippy" in me during college
Because the bigger one is injured maybe...

Wade wants the pressure coming from all 4. JJ watt is just playing out of his mind and barwin has been average and Reed has not played well. Mercilous should be getting more reps.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #92
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Because the bigger one is injured maybe...
Faceplam yourself. He was talking about the giant plug the middle style NT some teams employ and many around here keep advocating.

By the way Cody and Mitchell are essentially the same size.

They are both considerably smaller than: Casey Hampton at 3" shorter and 17 lbs heavier. Isaac Sopoaga at 2" shorter and 23 lbs heavier. Ma'ake Kemoeatu at 1" taller 57 lbs heavier.
Old 11-20-2012   #93
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Faceplam yourself. He was talking about the giant plug the middle style NT some teams employ and many around here keep advocating.

By the way Cody and Mitchell are essentially the same size.

They are both considerably smaller than: Casey Hampton at 3" shorter and 17 lbs heavier. Isaac Sopoaga at 2" shorter and 23 lbs heavier. Ma'ake Kemoeatu at 1" taller 57 lbs heavier.
And Wade has said he doesn't care if the NT is big or small he will fit the defense around them. 76 was trying to say that Wade wants the OLB to not be the focus of his pass rush but rather the inside players. But in reality the OLB are just not playing nearly as well as last year.
Old 11-20-2012   #94
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And Wade has said he doesn't care if the NT is big or small he will fit the defense around them. 76 was trying to say that Wade wants the OLB to not be the focus of his pass rush but rather the inside players. But in reality the OLB are just not playing nearly as well as last year.
Bolded is not exactly true. Wade has said he plays with what he has. Said he has been successful with both types. Agree with rest of your post and 76's.

I think it was a mistake to have Barwin get bigger as any increased strength has not allowed him to overcome opponents. IMO he goes into blocks and tries to run around not thru without success. He has shut down the outside some but that is not Wade's playbook for OLB. His successes have been QB sacks and hurries and this season we don't have that from any OLB. Wade is trying to be successful with Watt and to some extent Ninja. Again he is working with what he has. I do believe he was hoping Mercilus would come on strong last half of season. Will be interesting if Whitney gets more play against Lions.

I still see a big NT in draft as dire need. James has stepped up but still like my mock pick of Andrew Jackson ILB in third. OLB still gonna be drafted just what round. Keep an eye of Quanteras Smith 12.5 sacks and teammate of Jackson.
Old 11-20-2012   #95
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44115 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez. Texans are considered by many as the #1 NFL team & their own fans think this little of several players? I'm glad the record is not reversed just imagine the horror

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #96
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was only addressing the size comment in your post which is why that was all I quoted.

I'm sure Wade can work with either style NT. I think if he has to pick between ability to penetrate v. ability to clog the middle he favors the former but like every coach he would love an over sized athletic NT who can do both.
Old 11-20-2012   #97
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
I was only addressing the size comment in your post which is why that was all I quoted.

I'm sure Wade can work with either style NT. I think if he has to pick between ability to penetrate v. ability to clog the middle he favors the former but like every coach he would love an over sized athletic NT who can do both.
I know you were. I thought 76 was talking about Earl mitchell and Cody and I was wrong.
Old 11-21-2012   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I agree. With the new rules favoring wide receivers nowadays & the fact that they are getting more & more physically gifted, getting pressure on the QB is even more of a priority than it has in the past.
Old 11-21-2012   #99
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone noticed if Braman's been used at all at LB this year? I don't recall seeing him but he seems like he'd give us good speed off the edge and of course a lot of intensity. Don't know if he's any different than Barwin, but I doubt he can be worse at getting to the QB than Barwin has been this season.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Has anyone noticed if Braman's been used at all at LB this year? I don't recall seeing him but he seems like he'd give us good speed off the edge and of course a lot of intensity. Don't know if he's any different than Barwin, but I doubt he can be worse at getting to the QB than Barwin has been this season.
I haven't seen much of him on anything other than special teams.

I agree, can't get much worse than Barwin/Reed. Let those guys get some rest, kick them in the pride. Let Merci & Braman get some extra snaps over the next few weeks & see if that helps Barwin & Reed step their games up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read