Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-15-2012   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

If you're just looking at game-winning drives:

Here's the link

The current active players are:
1. Peyton Manning, 47 GWD
2. Tom Brady, 35 GWD
3. Kerry Collins, 30 GWD
4. Drew Brees, 29 GWD
5. Ben Roethlisberger, 26 GWD
6. Eli Manning, 25 GWD
7. Matt Hasselbeck, 22 GWD
8. Carson Palmer, 18 GWD
9. Matt Ryan, 16 GWD
10. Philip Rivers, 16 GWD
11. Jay Cutler, 16 GWD
12. Tony Romo, 14 GWD

Matt Schaub only has 10 GWD. Sanchez, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Rex Grossman -- all those guys have more game winning drives than Schaub. Even David Carr has 11 GWD.

But to me, that's not a great indicator of whether a QB is a good/great QB... although it does end up separating the men from the boys. I wouldn't want Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Kerry Collins, or Matt Hasselbeck over Schaub.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The General perception of Matt Schaub is going to be completely different at the end of the season.
Old 09-15-2012   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

OK I have held off for 5 pages and will give my 2 cents - it is almost a useless question. It is undefinable. It is subject to way to many variables - it could be your TE hit in between the numbers in the endzone in the SB, it could be a misthrown ball which the WR miraculously catches on the side of his helmet in the SB, it could be your safety making exactly the play he is taught on a hail mary and it falls into someone's hands, it could be your D giving up an 80+ yard drive in under 50 seconds, etc. None of that reflects on the QB.

I know one thing. I watched Schaub orchestrate 5 straight scoring drives with one being 99 yards and the next 94 yards against one of the toughest defenses of the last decade. That kind of prolonged effort is clutch enough for me.
Old 09-15-2012   #44
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If you're just looking at game-winning drives:

Here's the link

The current active players are:
1. Peyton Manning, 47 GWD
2. Tom Brady, 35 GWD
3. Kerry Collins, 30 GWD
4. Drew Brees, 29 GWD
5. Ben Roethlisberger, 26 GWD
6. Eli Manning, 25 GWD
7. Matt Hasselbeck, 22 GWD
8. Carson Palmer, 18 GWD
9. Matt Ryan, 16 GWD
10. Philip Rivers, 16 GWD
11. Jay Cutler, 16 GWD
12. Tony Romo, 14 GWD

Matt Schaub only has 10 GWD. Sanchez, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Rex Grossman -- all those guys have more game winning drives than Schaub. Even David Carr has 11 GWD.

But to me, that's not a great indicator of whether a QB is a good/great QB... although it does end up separating the men from the boys. I wouldn't want Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Kerry Collins, or Matt Hasselbeck over Schaub.
Anf the majority of these had what we did not until last year -a defense.
Old 09-15-2012   #45
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its funny. I always hear that Manning is clutch and Brady etc. I seem to remember a lot of playoff games in which Manning looked terrible. Not only that but his completion to porter in the SB a few years back is a fine example of clutch if I've ever seen one. Clutch is a buzz word with very little substance. For all that Eli is called clutch, we would talk about him that way if Tyree didn't catch the ball with his helmet.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #46
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Its funny. I always hear that Manning is clutch and Brady etc. I seem to remember a lot of playoff games in which Manning looked terrible. Not only that but his completion to porter in the SB a few years back is a fine example of clutch if I've ever seen one. Clutch is a buzz word with very little substance. For all that Eli is called clutch, we would talk about him that way if Tyree didn't catch the ball with his helmet.

Mike
We also so easily forget how that pass got to Tyree in the first place. Eli avoided like four or five lineman to get that pass off. Some miracle ****.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #47
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I want a QB who can be clutch, and Schaub has shown that he can be.
Old 09-23-2012   #48
Lady.Gaga.3000
Veteran

Rep Power: 417 Lady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respected

3:00 minutes left. Close out the game. This is where I hope Schaub is clutch. No turnovers and a first down is all we need.
Lady.Gaga.3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #49
Lady.Gaga.3000
Veteran

Rep Power: 417 Lady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Clutch throw to Johnson. Tight window. Anymore to the right and that's a pick six. ICE
Lady.Gaga.3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
RT @Espngreeny: Credit John Clayton: Texans have won last 8 gms started by Matt Schaub by combined 160 points.
8-0, average win by 20 points ..... clutch.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #51
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

8-0, average win by 20 points ..... clutch.
Additionally, Schaub is now third overall in QB rating behind Ryan and Big Ben.

Suffice to say, that hand-wringing from some people over his recent contract extension might have been an overreaction to a team locking up its underrated quarterback.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #52
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
We also so easily forget how that pass got to Tyree in the first place. Eli avoided like four or five lineman to get that pass off. Some miracle ****.
Or that pass right before that hit Asante Samuel smack in the hands. The Giants don't win without Samuel's monumental dropped INT. That twist of fate would have definitely changed the way Eli Manning is perceived by the fans and media.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #53
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

So clutch is now being up by 20 and winning the game?
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
So clutch is now being up by 20 and winning the game?
I prefer being up by 20 and choking the life out of my opponent to being down by 2 with less than a minute and marching down the field to get in position for a winning field goal.

One of my big issues with the "clutch" player is that to be "clutch", you have to have made a mistake at some point so that your team got behind. They asked John Elway about all his 4th quarter comebacks and his response was that he wished he'd never been down in the first place. And he said a lot of times, he was having to make up for mistakes he made in the first half of games.

So give me "winning" over "clutch". Or just re-define "clutch" to mean performing at a high level right from the get-go instead of trying to flip a switch and only be good at the end of the game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Time to revisit??
Old 11-20-2012   #56
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

/end discussion

Mike

Old 11-20-2012   #57
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ha nice find. not buying it vs henne and jax.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #58
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
ha nice find. not buying it vs henne and jax.
He didn't do it vs henne. Against a defense that held our offense to 13 points over 3 quarters he put up 300 yards and 30 points in a quarter and a half. Clutch is how you perform under pressure. He is clutch. That performance was the stuff manning and Brady do. Oh and he led the game winning drive three times. His kicker missed one, his defense let the offense score the fg the second time and finally dre stepped up and ended it again. Mike

Old 11-20-2012   #59
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we should just get an adapter kit and make that clutch QB into an automatic. Just put Schaub in gear and let him go. No clutches needed.

Yeah, I know I'm reaching on this one...
Old 11-20-2012   #60
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
He didn't do it vs henne. Against a defense that held our offense to 13 points over 3 quarters he put up 300 yards and 30 points in a quarter and a half. Clutch is how you perform under pressure. He is clutch. That performance was the stuff manning and Brady do. Oh and he led the game winning drive three times. His kicker missed one, his defense let the offense score the fg the second time and finally dre stepped up and ended it again. Mike
did he throw a pick in the fourth qtr and ot? to be honest not sure, almost positive about ot pick but not about the other one
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read