Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2012   #121
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson allowing only 2.5 receptions and 35 yards per game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I just didn't get that at all. The Jags simply looked better than a 1-8 team to me. We made a few mistakes, but no more than we always do. We aren't perfect, no NFL team is.

I think Jacksonville's best game was better than we anticipated & it took us a little while to figure it out. They've got their backs against the wall & played all out, doing things you wouldn't expect someone to do on 2nd & 4 or 1st & 10.

They were desperate & they played like it.
Desperate for what though? They're not going to the playoffs... even if they do beat us.

All season this team has played alot closer to how we played against Baltimore than how we played yesterday. I'll give Jax some of the credit..i'm sure they gave us some looks that we hadn't really seen all year & teams seem to have finally locked in on JJ Watt b/c he's not making nearly as many plays as he did earlier in the season.

But i think it's clear we had a let down game after the big win in Chi.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #122
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I can rep you all day 76!

The guys I'm really pissed off at are Conner & Brooks. When Watt gets doubled (which seems like every play now), one of those guys MUST beat their guy one-one. The lack of pressure by the front 4 is causing Wade to dial up blitzes I don't think he wants to do.
Yeah, Barwin's got "mario" syndrome; rather than trying to rush the passer in such a way that the pocket collapses, he gets too caught up in trying to use his speed to much & gets run out of the play.

Reed has really disappointed me this year. I thought he'd step up & eventually be the guy on the outside for us but it hasn't happened. It looks like he just doesn't have the strength to hold up as soon as a tackle gets their hands on him. He also takes a ton of false steps off the snap...& i ultimately think this hurts his speed rush.
Old 11-19-2012   #123
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think yesterday was a positive sign, he struggled but he also continued to play. He got beat but after getting beat he almost caught an INT(a true INT, as in he read the route and jumped it.). Still don't understand why Mccain was on Blackmon after he'd already been killing us.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #124
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Desperate for what though? They're not going to the playoffs... even if they do beat us.

All season this team has played alot closer to how we played against Baltimore than how we played yesterday. I'll give Jax some of the credit..i'm sure they gave us some looks that we hadn't really seen all year & teams seem to have finally locked in on JJ Watt b/c he's not making nearly as many plays as he did earlier in the season.

But i think it's clear we had a let down game after the big win in Chi.
I am wondering if Watt's "swat" skills suffer versus taller QBs.

Henne, to me, looks to be much taller (or he at least looks like he stands taller during a throw) than other QBs we've faced. We also have to ponder whether teams might have already started to make their QBs practice throughout a week with throwing the ball at a higher arc, to avoid Watt's swat skills.

Then there's this: To me, it looked like the Jags, Henne in particular, started delivering the pass much quicker than normal. Whether that was a lot of 3-step drops, quick throws, whatever, a pass getting out of the QBs hand VERY quickly is going to be harder for Watt to swat down.

The Jags, IMO, schemed their offense to take advantage of us. They have the blueprint of how to beat our defense: (1) Quick passing plays that stall the DL pass rush, or at least keep it away from the QB, and (2) Spread formation with the primary target being a HUGE wide receiver who finds open space wherever there is a void. Henne gets a lot of credit because he was doing what Gabbert couldn't: Knowing where to go and to WHOM he should go to, right from the snap. I wouldn't mind having that guy as my QB2, tbh.

I also think this defense is dog tired from playing the Bears on MNF, and then the Jags (which was an all-out foot race all game long)...then they gonna' have to go to Detroit on a very short week. We're going to be lucky if our guys don't come down with flu or other fatigue-related illnesses after the Lions game. That's a lot of exertion on their bodies in a short amount of time.
Old 11-19-2012   #125
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I am wondering if Watt's "swat" skills suffer versus taller QBs.

Henne, to me, looks to be much taller (or he at least looks like he stands taller during a throw) than other QBs we've faced. We also have to ponder whether teams might have already started to make their QBs practice throughout a week with throwing the ball at a higher arc, to avoid Watt's swat skills.

Then there's this: To me, it looked like the Jags, Henne in particular, started delivering the pass much quicker than normal. Whether that was a lot of 3-step drops, quick throws, whatever, a pass getting out of the QBs hand VERY quickly is going to be harder for Watt to swat down.

The Jags, IMO, schemed their offense to take advantage of us. They have the blueprint of how to beat our defense: (1) Quick passing plays that stall the DL pass rush, or at least keep it away from the QB, and (2) Spread formation with the primary target being a HUGE wide receiver who finds open space wherever there is a void. Henne gets a lot of credit because he was doing what Gabbert couldn't: Knowing where to go and to WHOM he should go to, right from the snap. I wouldn't mind having that guy as my QB2, tbh.

I also think this defense is dog tired from playing the Bears on MNF, and then the Jags (which was an all-out foot race all game long)...then they gonna' have to go to Detroit on a very short week. We're going to be lucky if our guys don't come down with flu or other fatigue-related illnesses after the Lions game. That's a lot of exertion on their bodies in a short amount of time.
Well, what i'll say is that all of these guys seem to forget at times that swatting the ball down is something this defense does very well. I'm basing that mainly on how little of it was done over the last few games against Chi & Jax....until the 4th qtr/OT of yesterday's game that is. around that time, all of a sudden these guys start swatting/tipping balls like crazy! I want to say that Barwin, Smith & Watt tipped or swatted a pass all on the same series/drive. If someone has the game DVR'd, someone look that up for me.
Old 11-19-2012   #126
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Well, what i'll say is that all of these guys seem to forget at times that swatting the ball down is something this defense does very well. I'm basing that mainly on how little of it was done over the last few games against Chi & Jax....until the 4th qtr/OT of yesterday's game that is. around that time, all of a sudden these guys start swatting/tipping balls like crazy! I want to say that Barwin, Smith & Watt tipped or swatted a pass all on the same series/drive. If someone has the game DVR'd, someone look that up for me.
Henne did a great job of avoiding the swat all game long. I remember mayyyybe 1 or 2 swats, with Antonio Smith providing one of those late in the game just after he had drawn a 15-yard penalty the play before (for hands to the face of Henne).

The other tip, IIRC, was Barwin (and it was tipped just enough to get it away from the WR's route).
Old 11-19-2012   #127
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Henne did a great job of avoiding the swat all game long. I remember mayyyybe 1 or 2 swats, with Antonio Smith providing one of those late in the game just after he had drawn a 15-yard penalty the play before (for hands to the face of Henne).

The other tip, IIRC, was Barwin (and it was tipped just enough to get it away from the WR's route).
Watt had one tip, and one sack.
Old 11-19-2012   #128
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
But you can blame the safeties when the coverage is a Cover 2 and the safety is nowhere to be found on a wide receiver post.

I love our safeties. However, it seemed pretty clear that Manning, in particular, had a very bad game yesterday. Fine with me. It happens. He probably emotionally crashed after the Chicago game and had a hard time getting up for this game.
Well if you remember the 2010 season the safties "only" played bad when giving help to KJ but not Glover. Its like they had a vendetta aginst him "according" to a FEW members on the board, no joke. Was the silliest excuse i ever heard.

KJ has had a damn good season, and i think he has improved a 100 times over and dont want anyone else out there besides KJ and JoJo BUT no more lame ass excuses whenever he does get beat on occasion.
Old 11-20-2012   #129
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

KJ had a bad game. It happens. He's played well enough this season that I'm not going to bust his balls too badly. Let's just hope he uses that CB short memory and puts this behind him going into Detroit on a short week.

JJo has been short of spectacular in a few games this year, also.
Old 11-20-2012   #130
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak said it again.
"We had some assignment issues".

The mis-tackle was all on KJax, but I'm not gonna put the long pass on him.

Other guys gave up several big plays even when they had help.

KJax had one bad play, not one bad day.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think there were 11+ guys playing on the defensive side of the ball that had a bad day. And a defensive coach to boot.

No shame.... it happens. Next...
Old 11-20-2012   #132
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Well if you remember the 2010 season the safties "only" played bad when giving help to KJ but not Glover. Its like they had a vendetta aginst him "according" to a FEW members on the board, no joke. Was the silliest excuse i ever heard.

KJ has had a damn good season, and i think he has improved a 100 times over and dont want anyone else out there besides KJ and JoJo BUT no more lame ass excuses whenever he does get beat on occasion.
That simply isn't true. The defense was breaking records for yards passing allowed. Despite your feelings about KJ, those kind of stats are not due to a single player.
Old 11-20-2012   #133
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Kubiak said it again.
"We had some assignment issues".

The mis-tackle was all on KJax, but I'm not gonna put the long pass on him.

Other guys gave up several big plays even when they had help.

I can agree with this. Other than a few big plays, the defense actually played well.
Old 11-20-2012   #134
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I can agree with this. Other than a few big plays, the defense actually played well.
Thank you Sir for having the good sense of weighing all the evidences before coming to a conclusion.
Old 11-20-2012   #135
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Henne was < 50% passing. The Jaguars pulled a lot of inside straights on Sunday.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #136
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That simply isn't true. The defense was breaking records for yards passing allowed. Despite your feelings about KJ, those kind of stats are not due to a single player.
My whole statment went way over ur head. "One" member on this board used to claim that safety help was better to Glover than it was to KJ and thats their excuse as to why KJ was beat so badly compared to Glover..... Now seems ridiculious to me that safties would just so happen to suck when giving KJ help and then seem to do so much better when helping Glover.

Yes that was really one of the excuses to why KJ struggled so much, that one plus about 200 other ones.
Old 11-20-2012   #137
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
My whole statment went way over ur head. "One" member on this board used to claim that safety help was better to Glover than it was to KJ and thats their excuse as to why KJ was beat so badly compared to Glover..... Now seems ridiculious to me that safties would just so happen to suck when giving KJ help and then seem to do so much better when helping Glover.

Yes that was really one of the excuses to why KJ struggled so much, that one plus about 200 other ones.
Yes, safety help was kinder to Glover and Jason as compared to KJax.

I said that.

And that was why Allen was let go and Quin was moved to safety.
What part(s) don't you understand? P=
Old 11-20-2012   #138
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

the spirit of

still lives on this msg bd.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #139
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
the spirit of

Why I've stated a zillion years ago that it was gonna be Chris Myers part two.
We've seen plenty of that vid how Myers was mauled and how he can't handle huge 34 NT, we would hear about how KJax falls down (and at times how he can't play bump and run against big receivers) just the same.
Old 11-20-2012   #140
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
the spirit of

Is that you Petey?
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read