Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-20-2012   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you like the current OT rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
considering our former returners have 5 touchdowns on the season, and we cant even kick it TO the endzone, yeah.
This isn't about us. It's about the league.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #22
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I just don't like the TIE thing. They need to fix that. JMO!
While I agree a bit, since it only happens every several years it is not a huge issue as was the field win before.
Old 11-20-2012   #23
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 132152 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

average starting position is between 25-30 yard line. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

still 2 or 3 first downs for a healthy kick that most teams can make
Old 11-20-2012   #24
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like the new OT rules anymore than the previous sudden death mode. I just wish they would change it to "First touchdown to score wins." That's it, simple, and it focuses on the most interesting part of the game. At the end of each Sunday, NFL Redzone does a montage showing every touchdown from that day, they don't show field goals, cause nobody cares about them. Touchdowns are exciting, field goals are meh.
Old 11-20-2012   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 132152 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't like the new OT rules anymore than the previous sudden death mode. I just wish they would change it to "First touchdown to score wins." That's it, simple, and it focuses on the most interesting part of the game. At the end of each Sunday, NFL Redzone does a montage showing every touchdown from that day, they don't show field goals, cause nobody cares about them. Touchdowns are exciting, field goals are meh.
i'm also at odds with this suggestion because many or most games that go into overtime seem to be low scoring games. had we needed extra time against the bears for instance, it would've been a tie. even with sunday's game, had jacksonville punted to preserve a touchdown based overtime we could've seen a tie. a touchdown still declares the winner now, but the current setting allows for a defensive battle to continue with more chance of a big play deciding the outcome.
Old 11-20-2012   #26
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just heard a tidbit on ESPN that I did not know. Houston was the first team to score twice in overtime.

Cool fact, if true.
Old 11-20-2012   #27
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I just heard a tidbit on ESPN that I did not know. Houston was the first team to score twice in overtime.

Cool fact, if true.
truth. 49'ers vs rams had the first chance as far as i know, but neither could hit on their field goal attempts to win.
Old 11-20-2012   #28
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

These rules are much better than sudden death.

Hate college rules. College OT doesn't feel like it's part of the actual "game". It's like a sideshow, feels separate from what you've watched for 60 minutes prior.

Just get rid of the tie situation. Keep playing.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #29
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
My problem with this is that since field goals are part of the game, why penalize the team with the better kicker. If one of the teams scored points because their kicker was able to drill numerous fileld goals of over 50 yards, and then you get to overtime and tell them "Oh, by the way, your kicker doesn't count anymore (unless of course you lose the coin toss and have to kick off)", that's simply changing the game as far as I'm concerned.

As ridiculous as it sounds, it's kind of like saying most people find the passing game to be more interesting and exciting than rushing the ball, so once we get to overtime, every play has to be a pass.
Old 11-20-2012   #30
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
While I agree a bit, since it only happens every several years it is not a huge issue as was the field win before.
With the new rules, seems like there's more of a chance to end in a tie. The Texans game went to what, 2 minutes to go?

That said, I like the new rule even though I didn't want to change it from sudden death. I like that if you score a TD it's over. A team shouldn't be rewarded with a possession if they give up a TD.

The college OT isn't even football. That schit is just dumb.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
average starting position is between 25-30 yard line. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

still 2 or 3 first downs for a healthy kick that most teams can make
That link is about where most teams start their drives. NOT where most teams start their drives after a kickoff which should be closer to the 20 than when you're factoring in punts and turnovers. But let's say the average starting point is the 25 yard line.

To me, each 1st down is 10 yards. 3 first downs translates to 30 yards and that puts a team at their opponent's 45 yard line. That translates to a 60+ yard kick that most teams can't make and won't try. 4 first downs or 40 yards is going to put teams at the normal kicker's outside edge where it's still not a sure thing.

Most coaches, being conservative and not wanting to give someone the ball at the 40+ yard line where they'll only need 2-3 first downs to get into easy field goal range, would punt there unless they have a kicker who's money from distance.

I've seen overtime games where the team wins the coin flip, drives down past the 30 yard line, kicks the field goal to win the game. But I've also seen a lot of overtime games where they were stopped and had to punt.

To me, this everyone "deserves" a possession thing is BS. You only deserve a possession if you can stop the other team. If you're going to go that route, then don't go halfway. Give both teams a possession even if there's a TD scored and then go sudden death after that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #32
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh...

"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read