Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2012   #61
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't remember Schaub won a game for us. That was refreshing. But I'm still not buying into a QB w/ zero pocket-presence.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub #2 all time, passing yards in a game?

Yawn
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #63
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Don't remember Schaub won a game for us. That was refreshing. But I'm still not buying into a QB w/ zero pocket-presence.
If you go back to the 2010 season , there are several games which Schaub put the team ahead .... and the defense failed to hold the two most notable were the Jets game where they had ~1:40 on the clock inside the 5 and scored a TD and to win .... the Jaq's game with the hail mary to end it.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #64
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If you go back to the 2010 season , there are several games which Schaub put the team ahead .... and the defense failed to hold the two most notable were the Jets game where they had ~1:40 on the clock inside the 5 and scored a TD and to win .... the Jaq's game with the hail mary to end it.
Two games we won that season that I think apply:

1. Matt throws a TD pass to Andre with 1:13 left to tie the Redskins game. Texans subsquently win 30-27 on an OT FG by Rackers. The Texans trailed by 17 points late in the 3rd qtr., and 10 points at the beginning of the 4th qtr.

2. Texans trail the Chiefs by 10 points with 5 minutes left in the game, and score two TD's including an 11 yard TD pass to Andre with 1:54 left to win 35-31.

I heard someone call in on Koch and Kalu's show this morining and say in all seriousness that they thought yesterday was the first fourth quarter comeback Schaub ever led. He didn't say it in a derogatory fashion, he just passed it on as a fact he felt people should know. Jeez, some of our fans are stupid.
Old 11-19-2012   #65
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

1. Matt throws a TD pass to Andre with 1:13 left to tie the Redskins game. Texans subsquently win 30-27 on an OT FG by Rackers. The Texans trailed by 17 points late in the 3rd qtr., and 10 points at the beginning of the 4th qtr.

2. Texans trail the Chiefs by 10 points with 5 minutes left in the game, and score two TD's including an 11 yard TD pass to Andre with 1:54 left to win 35-31.

I heard someone call in on Koch and Kalu's show this morining and say in all seriousness that they thought yesterday was the first fourth quarter comeback Schaub ever led. He didn't say it in a derogatory fashion, he just passed it on as a fact he felt people should know. Jeez, some of our fans are stupid.
Both of those fit the description ....

If people are going to knock on Schaub , I expect it to be for his warts .... which he surely has in lack of mobility and arm strength.

Just dont go off half cocked when you dont have a clue ....

Watching him in that 5 wide set yesterday .... man he did what he wanted , when he wanted. That was a huge question answered .... cause I wondered how they would respond in that situation .... Could they protect Schaub with the defense knowing they had to throw ? Could they move the ball without play action ? Could they get it done in the redzone ?!

Old 11-19-2012   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Both of those fit the description ....

If people are going to knock on Schaub , I expect it to be for his warts .... which he surely has in lack of mobility and arm strength.

Just dont go off half cocked when you dont have a clue ....

Watching him in that 5 wide set yesterday .... man he did what he wanted , when he wanted. That was a huge question answered .... cause I wondered how they would respond in that situation .... Could they protect Schaub with the defense knowing they had to throw ? Could they move the ball without play action ? Could they get it done in the redzone ?!
Man.... I agree with everything you're saying, but...

Matt has plenty of opportunity to play like he did yesterday, but he don't. It seems like he waits until we're 14 points down before he "makes **** happen" He wasn't just sitting in a perfect pocket for that comeback. He didn't settle for throwing it out of bounds. He knew we needed a play & he didn't give up on any of them. He did what he had to do to give our guys time to get open. He didn't look like Ben Rothlisberger or RGIII, but he escaped pressure, he stepped up, he waited that extra second.

I hate it when we are up by 3 & he throws it away on third down instead of trying to extend the play for just one more second. Playing it safe.... we're 9-1, I get it, & if it gets us a Lombardi, I'll take it.

But in my little mind, third down is always the time. If we're in field goal range, I can understand it. But we should never go 3 & out. Not if we have the offense we think we have. (Never is hyperbole, just saying I think we go 3 & out more than we should.... even if we lead the league with the least 3 & outs, I think we go it more than we should).
Old 11-19-2012   #67
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Is it safe to say Houston franchises don't do to well against backups??
Well... there is a fair amount of data to support your hypothesis...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Well... there is a fair amount of data to support your hypothesis...
LOlLolLOL
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #69
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Matt has plenty of opportunity to play like he did yesterday, but he don't. It seems like he waits until we're 14 points down before he "makes **** happen" He wasn't just sitting in a perfect pocket for that comeback. He didn't settle for throwing it out of bounds. He knew we needed a play & he didn't give up on any of them. He did what he had to do to give our guys time to get open. He didn't look like Ben Rothlisberger or RGIII, but he escaped pressure, he stepped up, he waited that extra second.

I hate it when we are up by 3 & he throws it away on third down instead of trying to extend the play for just one more second. Playing it safe.... we're 9-1, I get it, & if it gets us a Lombardi, I'll take it.

But in my little mind, third down is always the time. If we're in field goal range, I can understand it. But we should never go 3 & out. Not if we have the offense we think we have. (Never is hyperbole, just saying I think we go 3 & out more than we should.... even if we lead the league with the least 3 & outs, I think we go it more than we should).
And sometimes you just take what the defense gives you. That 1st 4th quarter TD to make it a 7 point game was a 7 minute drive. They didn't just force their will down the field. They took what the Jags were giving them. The Jags made them eat clock and the Texans had to be perfect to do what they did and they were.

As far as the 3 and outs are concerned, I think part of the problem is the run game. At the end of the day the numbers look good but there's just too many instances where there are minimal gains, if not losses, that puts them behind schedule. The run game is almost Barry Sanders-ish. 3 carries for losses and then busting one for 50. Not that that was Sanders fault - horrible Lions o-line I know.

I don't remember which game it was, but Foster had something like 24 carries in a game for 120 yards or something like that. Looks like an awesome day, 5 yard average per carry, but 12 of his 24 carries that day were for less than 2 yards, with about 4 or 5 going for losses. The run game is just too inconsistant, even though at the end of the day, they're a top rushing team.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #70
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I get all that ..... but you have to understand that .... taking those unnecessary chances can backfire and in the process , cost you W's.

Schaub does what he has to .... to win. He manages the game and limits his mistakes.

A win by one point counts just as much as a win by 30 in the standings.

I also know that they want to have him healthy for the playoffs .... and limiting his exposure to hits when the team has a lead , no matter how large is one way to ... do your best to assure that he's under center when playoff time rolls around.

I mean , we all love what TJ Yates did last season .... but I want more than a win in round one and a well played game on the road in round two.

Old 11-19-2012   #71
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

As far as the 3 and outs are concerned, I think part of the problem is the run game. At the end of the day the numbers look good but there's just too many instances where there are minimal gains, if not losses, that puts them behind schedule. The run game is almost Barry Sanders-ish. 3 carries for losses and then busting one for 50. Not that that was Sanders fault - horrible Lions o-line I know.

I don't remember which game it was, but Foster had something like 24 carries in a game for 120 yards or something like that. Looks like an awesome day, 5 yard average per carry, but 12 of his 24 carries that day were for less than 2 yards, with about 4 or 5 going for losses. The run game is just too inconsistant, even though at the end of the day, they're a top rushing team.
I agree with this ... the run game , even tho they lead the league in rushing yardage and rushing attempts per game .... aint gettin it done.

They are in the bottom third of the league in terms of average per attempt - 3.6 ypc if I recall correctly.

They really miss Briesel and Winston more than any of us wants to admit in that aspect .... tho I completely understand they had little choice because of the cap.

This is also the main reason I'd like to see (at least at this moment in time) them take an OL with a premium pick in the next draft.

Old 11-19-2012   #72
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Matt has plenty of opportunity to play like he did yesterday, but he don't. It seems like he waits until we're 14 points down before he "makes **** happen"
And in exactly how many games have we been 14 pts down this season??
Twice maybe...

Quote:
He wasn't just sitting in a perfect pocket for that comeback. He didn't settle for throwing it out of bounds. He knew we needed a play & he didn't give up on any of them. He did what he had to do to give our guys time to get open. He didn't look like Ben Rothlisberger or RGIII, but he escaped pressure, he stepped up, he waited that extra second.
That was the O-line stepping up and doing a stellar job as much, if not more, than it was Schaub moving around and buying time. The O-line wasn't letting the Jags' pass rush get to the QB.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #73
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i'm starting to wonder if we're underestimating schaub's arm strength - myself included. nobody's comparing him to jamarcus russell, but he's been firing it all season. what brought it to my attention was reports that keenum had nowhere near the velocity on his throws as schaub, so i started watching more closely, and schaub seems to have as much zip as well as distance as almost anybody. the difference is he has better touch and accuracy, as some receivers have said "the most catchable ball they've seen" instead of rocketing through the receiver like favre. i think the underthrown deep balls in past seasons put it into our heads that he couldnt throw it that far, when more likely he underthrew on purpose to be on the safe side of a completion.
Old 11-19-2012   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
And sometimes you just take what the defense gives you.
If all he did was take what the defense gave him, then he doesn't deserve any cred for the win. We should thank the Jags for giving it to us.
Old 11-19-2012   #75
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Expanded Answer: Johnson is flat out better than the guy's attempting to cover him , and Kubiak's route combinations are brilliant.
AJ tends to struggle against talented corners that are very talented and/or talented with comparable size (i.e. Revis - super talented, second i.e. Cromartie - gifted with comparable size).

On second thought, I'm not sure it's as much as "AJ struggles" as much as as it they do a good job against him.... and those guys are so far and few between.
Old 11-19-2012   #76
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If all he did was take what the defense gave him, then he doesn't deserve any cred for the win. We should thank the Jags for giving it to us.

Quote:
I had this response ready:

*Forgive me for not reading the entire exchange between Speedy and you, but on face value (and admittedly context is everything). That said, that's pretty much the most strawman argument and dumbest thing I've ever heard.... (or read). *

Before I posted this, I went back to get some perspective before I spoke out of turn... Let me ask this, how many times in this, thus far 9-1 season, have the Texans been down by 14? How many times were they last year with a 7-3 Schaub with the season being wrapped up by the rook???
Old 11-19-2012   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I had this response ready:

*Forgive me for not reading the entire exchange between Speedy and you, but on face value (and admittedly context is everything). That said, that's pretty much the most strawman argument and dumbest thing I've ever heard.... (or read). *

Before I posted this, I went back to get some perspective before I spoke out of turn... Let me ask this, how many times in this, thus far 9-1 season, have the Texans been down by 14? How many times were they last year with a 7-3 Schaub with the season being wrapped up by the rook???
It's a reading comprehension thing. I don't think Matt "just took what the defense gave him" That's what he does on those games he doesn't have to throw for 572 yards (or whatever).

He played his but off yesterday. He didn't accept what the defense gave him. He took what we needed.
Old 11-19-2012   #78
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what I think.

Schaub has matured to the point where he does whatever it takes to win. He's not worried about stats and rankings, he's worried about wins.

Prior to last season, it was pretty much on Schaub's shoulders and even then, our defense was so bad it would find new and excruciating ways to lose. Last year, Schaub started to realize what he had on the defense and that changed his approach.

NOW he's more sensitive to what the game requires. If it's a game where he can sit back and let the game come to him without having to take chances, he'll do that. If it's a game where he has to dink and dunk, he'll do that. If it's a game where he has to check down to running plays, he'll do that. But Sunday he showed that if it's a game where he's got to toss the ball all over the field to get it done, he can still do that.

As someone else mentioned, there are people on the board that think he's got a noodle arm. While I don't think he has a cannon, I think he can make all the throws. He's stronger than a lot of people think. Now... the interception in OT, that was because he was off balance as he threw. He had people crashing into him and he was trying to protect his legs at the same time he was throwing.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #79
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Schaub has been sacked 13 times in 10 games. You're seriously going to say he has no pocket presence to a fan base that watched David Carr for 5 years?

You don't know what you're talking about.
Old 11-19-2012   #80
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

The Chiefs game was more like 20 seconds left on the Andre TD.

Let's not forget the epic drive against Miami a few years back when he ran it in on 4th down.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read