Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2012   #21
Frosty
Rookie

Default Re: Gut Check Game.....Good for us

Was not shown here in Austin but thanks that Time Warner finally got the NFL Network and Red Zone.. got to see the last of the game ( between NASCAR).. Like SheTexan said.. I was having a heart attack.. could not believe the Jags were that tough.. I kept up with the score on an iPhone ESPN app.. sheesh.. I slammed so many beers the last quarter + OT.... The saying "this is not your fathers Oldsmobile" applies to the Texans.. Not my fathers Oliers!! YES.. 9-1 baby!
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

To piggyback Herv's thoughts ....

After watching this offense all season , I had to wonder how they would perform in a two minute situation where they absolutely had to score a TD.

They have been methodical for the most part. I wondered if that offense was capable of going 4-5 wide and spreading it out .... while maintaining protection for Schaub since they use so much play action under normal circumstances to keep him clean.

They did what they wanted when they went 5 wide on that next to last drive in regulation ..... I was impressed.

AJ had a monster day but ..... I think the unsung hero of this game was .... Garrett Graham with 8 catches 82 yards and two scores.

9 Texans recievers had receptions today .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
My favorite part was on the last play off the game, the two Young olmen well down field blocking after the texans had used something approaching 100 snaps of the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Newton and Jones, right?
Walter made the first block , Newton pancaked a DB like he should and Jones got in the way enough that it made the last defender have to take a poor angle.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
You got that right Katie. I've got sore stomach muscles from being tense and my poor puppy is quivering from all my yelling.

Was great to see the Team tough it out and scratch for the W!
My dog starts shaking when the CBS opening music comes on, I am not even kidding.

Dude knows I'm about to mutter things under my breath, yell at the TV, scream for joy, complain, celebrate, throw something.

Frankly, I don't know why he stays in the room. He's not a fair weather dog!
Old 11-18-2012   #25
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My dog starts shaking when the CBS opening music comes on, I am not even kidding.

Dude knows I'm about to mutter things under my breath, yell at the TV, scream for joy, complain, celebrate, throw something.

HeHe. She's prolly only a game or two away from that too!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #26
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Great game Texans! Was very exciting and the Jags surprised me! You can say Plain Garbage is done! I would say BUST all over that pick! Anyway, the good teams find a way to win...Kudos to the Texans.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #27
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's funny GP. My little poodle does the same. THANK goodness for him he only has to endure my loud mouth during away games! Poor thing would probably be a nervous wreck! He actually went and hid in my bedroom during the Bears game. I finally found him in the closet! The cats were nowhere to be found, didn't come out from their hiding place until the next morning.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
Great game Texans! Was very exciting and the Jags surprised me! You can say Plain Garbage is done! I would say BUST all over that pick! Anyway, the good teams find a way to win...Kudos to the Texans.
Man, your team had all of Texans nation sweating bullets.

Blackmon is the real deal after that performance.
Old 11-19-2012   #29
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, Seems Blackmon and Shorts is becoming a nice WR pair. I see that game a revenge game for the Texans, making up for the defection game to Mike Thomas! Texans/Jags games are always fun to watch. I really like the rivalry!

Quote:
Man, your team had all of Texans nation sweating bullets.

Blackmon is the real deal after that performance.
Old 11-19-2012   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm going to say at no time during that game did I think we were going to lose. I know it didn't look good, but I never doubted. My daughter, who thinks she is bad luck since we have lost more games than not when she attends with me, picked this game because it "should have been" an easy win.

She was beside herself the whole game. & the kid sitting next to here was thinking the same thing. They were upset, distraught. I kept telling them don't worry, we're going to win.

They did everything they could to help us win, they were screaming everytime we were on defense, at the top of their lungs. I didn't get involved until we had them at third down. I felt... they don't need us to beat this team. Then at the end of the game.... 6 minutes left or so, I got in with them for every defensive snap.

I think most people felt the same way, because though it was loud, it went to another level in those last 6 minutes & overtime. She was on cloud nine at the end of that game, feeling like she was a big part of that win & I think she was. You should have seen here, telling everybody in our section when to get loud & when to get quite & high-fiving everybody in the section. I was a very proud dad.

Quote:
I think Plain Garbage getting taken out of the game was one thing. But the focus those Jags played with was amazing. They seemed unfazed by the noise or by the failed plays & kept on coming. I was very impressed. A lot of that, I think comes with playing a division game. If they can play with that kind of focus, they can win out.

Big whoop, already down 9 games. The best they can finish is 7 & 9, but it would be a great thing for them to build on. Blackmon is a beast. Cecil Shorts is going to be awesome, & you still have Laurent Robinson & MJD. Chad Henne is a player.

That was a great game & I give them props for showing up & playing out.
Old 11-19-2012   #31
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

There might be a light at the end of this terrible season? Will see?, this is Chad Henne, who is up and down, all the time. Yes, the Jags even surprised me yesterday! We still have 2 games vs Titans, which I would love to beat the snot out of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'm going to say at no time during that game did I think we were going to lose. I know it didn't look good, but I never doubted. My daughter, who thinks she is bad luck since we have lost more games than not when she attends with me, picked this game because it "should have been" an easy win.

She was beside herself the whole game. & the kid sitting next to here was thinking the same thing. They were upset, distraught. I kept telling them don't worry, we're going to win.

They did everything they could to help us win, they were screaming everytime we were on defense, at the top of their lungs. I didn't get involved until we had them at third down. I felt... they don't need us to beat this team. Then at the end of the game.... 6 minutes left or so, I got in with them for every defensive snap.

I think most people felt the same way, because though it was loud, it went to another level in those last 6 minutes & overtime. She was on cloud nine at the end of that game, feeling like she was a big part of that win & I think she was. You should have seen here, telling everybody in our section when to get loud & when to get quite & high-fiving everybody in the section. I was a very proud dad.

I think Plain Garbage getting taken out of the game was one thing. But the focus those Jags played with was amazing. They seemed unfazed by the noise or by the failed plays & kept on coming. I was very impressed. A lot of that, I think comes with playing a division game. If they can play with that kind of focus, they can win out.

Big whoop, already down 9 games. The best they can finish is 7 & 9, but it would be a great thing for them to build on. Blackmon is a beast. Cecil Shorts is going to be awesome, & you still have Laurent Robinson & MJD. Chad Henne is a player.

That was a great game & I give them props for showing up & playing out.
Old 11-19-2012   #32
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
And as you should be TK. Sounds like you've got a keeper there. Can ya take her to NE? We need her there!

Old 11-19-2012   #33
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
There might be a light at the end of this terrible season? Will see?, this is Chad Henne, who is up and down, all the time. Yes, the Jags even surprised me yesterday! We still have 2 games vs Titans, which I would love to beat the snot out of them!
Please do mootini. I love to see the Tits get snot smacked. Everytime!

Old 11-19-2012   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I'm the only one who looked at Jacksonville yesterday and realized that they're about to turn a corner. Gabbert is a mistake. It happens. Carr was a mistake and he's got that same "Not quite all there" look to his face when things get out of his control that Carr had. I think the Jags are about to figure out that Gabbert isn't going to work out and when they do they're going to go get a QB. That's a bad day to be a member of the AFC South because two of your games just got a whole lot harder. There are weapons there and that team is not stuck in neutral or going in reverse if they get the QB situation straightened out. Sure, the defense needs help but Blackmon is in my opinion a real franchise WR. MJD is of course "MJD" and if he'd played yesterday we would have lost that game. Not a doubt in my mind.

The Jaguars are better than their record. They need leadership at the QB position to make this kind of performance an every week thing. Texans rock, Colts are improving faster than expected and now the Jaguars are looking like they might be better than anyone had believed. Only the Titans apparently suck as much as we all thought and that makes perfect sense to me.
Old 11-19-2012   #35
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Well, let's not forget they gave up 43 points and 600+ yards and couldn't get a stop in the second half, 2 bad Schaub throws aside.
They definitely looked better than 1-8 though, but they have a ways to go on both sides of the ball.

That said, get it together Jacksonville, I don't like people making fun of my division. That's what the Titans are for.
Old 11-19-2012   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Soooo... will Gabbert be back for next week or has the Jacksonville fanbase collected a huge sum of money to bribe the team doctor into telling the coaching staff that Gabbert's injury was "season-ending" so Henne could give you a fighting chance the rest of the way?

Edit:
Come to think of it, since you have to play Tenn. twice, hell, I'll kick in a few bucks if it guarantees Gabbert won't start against the Tacks.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #37
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't think I'm the only one who looked at Jacksonville yesterday and realized that they're about to turn a corner. Gabbert is a mistake. It happens. Carr was a mistake and he's got that same "Not quite all there" look to his face when things get out of his control that Carr had. I think the Jags are about to figure out that Gabbert isn't going to work out and when they do they're going to go get a QB. That's a bad day to be a member of the AFC South because two of your games just got a whole lot harder. There are weapons there and that team is not stuck in neutral or going in reverse if they get the QB situation straightened out. Sure, the defense needs help but Blackmon is in my opinion a real franchise WR. MJD is of course "MJD" and if he'd played yesterday we would have lost that game. Not a doubt in my mind.

The Jaguars are better than their record. They need leadership at the QB position to make this kind of performance an every week thing. Texans rock, Colts are improving faster than expected and now the Jaguars are looking like they might be better than anyone had believed. Only the Titans apparently suck as much as we all thought and that makes perfect sense to me.
I was saying this before the 1st game against ther Jags. They have a tough D and talent on the O side of the ball. Besides, except for the Texans, I ALWAYS pick the home team in division games, regardless of records or injuries.

I agree with ya, Herv. Get a different franchise QB. Gabbert just doesn't seem to have "it".

EDIT: I STILL can't believe nobody is making a big deal out of Jax going for it on 4th & 10 at midfield instead of punting it away and pinning us deep in our own territory. HUUUUGE error imo. There were only a couple of minutes left in the OT period. I tie would've been great for them and terrible for us.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #38
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I was saying this before the 1st game against ther Jags. They have a tough D and talent on the O side of the ball. Besides, except for the Texans, I ALWAYS pick the home team in division games, regardless of records or injuries.

I agree with ya, Herv. Get a different franchise QB. Gabbert just doesn't seem to have "it".

EDIT: I STILL can't believe nobody is making a big deal out of Jax going for it on 4th & 10 at midfield instead of punting it away and pinning us deep in our own territory. HUUUUGE error imo. There were only a couple of minutes left in the OT period. I tie would've been great for them and terrible for us.
Regarding the edited part...
I think that was a smart play on their part. They hadn't really "stopped" us in the second half, there was roughly 6-7 minutes left in the O/T, but mainly, they were still behind by 3. On our previous possession we'd eaten up 6:50 while marching 70+ yds for a FG. They knew their best chance was to tie the game up. I doubt if they would have gotten the ball back had they not forced a tie.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #39
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 25265 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Things I hate from this game:

*Kubiak been calling draw plays on 3rd & long all year. It finally bit him in the butt when Foster fumbled.
Mean while Jax calls for a passing play on their 3rd & long and hit Blackmon on a long TD.

*Our D blitz way too much. I thought we learn from that mistakes with the GB game. Jax passing game slowed down when we just rush four. I believe our D is at it's best when we rush 4.
For the year, 10 qb sack on blitz versus 17 sack on just a 4 man rush.
Bears and 49ers, one of the best Defensive team, also one of the least blitzing team in football.
Yeah, sometimes blitz are effective, but for the most part for this team it is bad game plan.

*Folks getting excited for Schaub 527 passing.
This was against a 27th rank Defense team in the NFL(Now 31st) who was playing prevent-D in the fourth Q. That combo should at least spot any avg QB 200 yrds of passing.

*Justin Forsett ran well and better than Foster in this game. But yet Foster still had 28 carries!
C'mon Kubiak, don't wear him out before playoff begins.

*And finally our Defense.
We went up against the last rank Offense in football without their best offensive playmaker in MJD, knocked out their starting QB, and at our own stadium with our crowd noise working against them...and they hung 37 points on us with over 400 yards off offense? Really?
This is way more humiliating than Rogers's 6 TD.

Things I like about this game:

*Our special teams return game. It's refreshing getting the ball beyond the 40 yard line once in a while.

*Bradie James played his best game for us so far. I wasn't sure what jersey # he wears before this game.

This count as a win, but it's a costly win. It cost me the painful knowledge that this team will never win a SB with Wade's blitz-happy unit and Kubiak conservative play-calling.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Things I hate from this game:

*Kubiak been calling draw plays on 3rd & long all year. It finally bit him in the butt when Foster fumbled.
Mean while Jax calls for a passing play on their 3rd & long and hit Blackmon on a long TD.

*Our D blitz way too much. I thought we learn from that mistakes with the GB game. Jax passing game slowed down when we just rush four. I believe our D is at it's best when we rush 4.
For the year, 10 qb sack on blitz versus 17 sack on just a 4 man rush.
Bears and 49ers, one of the best Defensive team, also one of the least blitzing team in football.
Yeah, sometimes blitz are effective, but for the most part for this team it is bad game plan.

*Folks getting excited for Schaub 527 passing.
This was against a 27th rank Defense team in the NFL(Now 31st) who was playing prevent-D in the fourth Q. That combo should at least spot any avg QB 200 yrds of passing.

*Justin Forsett ran well and better than Foster in this game. But yet Foster still had 28 carries!
C'mon Kubiak, don't wear him out before playoff begins.

*And finally our Defense.
We went up against the last rank Offense in football without their best offensive playmaker in MJD, knocked out their starting QB, and at our own stadium with our crowd noise working against them...and they hung 37 points on us with over 400 yards off offense? Really?
This is way more humiliating than Rogers's 6 TD.

Things I like about this game:

*Our special teams return game. It's refreshing getting the ball beyond the 40 yard line once in a while.

*Bradie James played his best game for us so far. I wasn't sure what jersey # he wears before this game.

This count as a win, but it's a costly win. It cost me the painful knowledge that this team will never win a SB with Wade's blitz-happy unit and Kubiak conservative play-calling.
& that's why they play the game. If we just threw a bunch of stats at each other & played the game on paper..... who'd give a $hit??

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read