Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2012   #1
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Down 7 in the 4th, Watt dances after a sack

Doesn't seem like the JJ we know and love, but OH, WAIT

The Reason for Watt's Sack Dance Yesterday

Quote:
What appeared to be a departure from his usual sack celebration meant a lot more to Texans defensive end J.J. Watt on Sunday.

It was a nod to the Berry children, with whom Watt has grown close.

“I was eating dinner at their house on Friday night,” Watt said. “They said they’re going to be watching the game. They said give us a signal. I said OK, when I get a sack, I’ll do the wheelchair.”

Willa, Aaron and Peter Berry were orphaned July 2, 2011, when a head-on collision on U.S. 285 killed their parents. The accident severely injured Willa, who was then 6, and paralyzed Aaron, then 8, and Peter, then 9, from the waist down.

The children’s story caught the attention of people and organizations locally and nationally. They got visits from athletes and donations from teams and other celebrities.

Watt befriended the children beyond the occasional fundraiser. He played wheelchair basketball with them last week, which gave him the idea for the post-sack celebration.

It’s not the first time Watt — who normally salutes after sacks — has promised a sack celebration to someone. Last weekend before the Texans’ Sunday night game in Chicago, Watt told Blake Geoffrion of the Montreal Canadiens he had a special sack celebration planned in his honor.

Geoffrion, who, like Watt, went to Wisconsin, fractured his skull a few days prior. The first tweet he sent after the injury and a subsequent surgery was about his conversation with Watt the day the Texans played the Bears.

But his game against the Bears was rare in that Watt did not record a sack. Sunday he got one, making that 111/2 this season. And he was ready.

“That was the wheelchair,” Watt said. “Apparently people are saying it’s a dance.”
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Down 7 in the 4th, Watt dances after a sack

Gotta say, it's the measure of a real man to follow through with his commitment to be a special part of these kids lives like JJ has. His word is his bond -- they call that integrity.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

It looked like he was skiing to me, but what the heck do I know.

It was a pretty hard lick he put on him too.
Old 11-19-2012   #4
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Can anyone provide a video or gif of this?
Old 11-19-2012   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

That sack allowed us to get the ball back and score the tying TD. Reason enough to dance to me
Old 11-19-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
Can anyone provide a video or gif of this?
All I got is a jpg.

Old 11-19-2012   #7
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
All I got is a jpg.

Looks like he's pulling his pants up to me...... LOL
Old 11-19-2012   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I'm going to get crucified for this . . .

But when I saw him dancing after the sack, I commented out loud, "WTF is he doing dancing when we're losing?"

I wasn't cool with it then, and I'm still not. I don't care what reason he had. It just looked bad. There's a time and place, and then there's a time and a place. And celebrating when you're losing is not the time or the place.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

But when I saw him dancing after the sack, I commented out loud, "WTF is he doing dancing when we're losing?"

I wasn't cool with it then, and I'm still not. I don't care what reason he had. It just looked bad. There's a time and place, and then there's a time and a place. And celebrating when you're losing is not the time or the place.
Nah dude, I agree with you. I dislike dances in general though, so I am a bit biased.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #10
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If you call it a dance, then you're right, that's celebrating when you're losing. If it's a message to someone that has special meaning, then it's not "celebrating".
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #11
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think you'll get crucified for it. It's your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. I personally didn't think much of it at the time either way. It was a big play at the time so I didn't mind him doing his dance. If we were getting blown out I'm sure I'd feel different, but he did it with a personal message behind it. Much different than Cam doing the Super Man while down by 3 touchdowns.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #12
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

When I saw it live, I thought, "someone on TT is going to be upset since we are down"

The back story is great and thanks to the OP for posting it for us to see. I have no problem with it, especially given the reason behind it.
Old 11-19-2012   #13
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a big sack, it helped the momentum flow our way. I'm not going to lie i celebrated, but i saluted. Now i have to go learn this wheelchair dance!
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
If you call it a dance, then you're right, that's celebrating when you're losing. If it's a message to someone that has special meaning, then it's not "celebrating".
I take this viewpoint. For this occasion only.
The man made a promise to a kid that was special to him and going thru some tough times.
While I agree that dancing when you're losing is normally dumb and inappropriate; but I think he has a get out of jail free card for this instance.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #15
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I take this viewpoint. For this occasion only.
The man made a promise to a kid that was special to him and going thru some tough times.
While I agree that dancing when you're losing is normally dumb and inappropriate; but I think he has a get out of jail free card for this instance.
Anytime someone makes a big play that can potentially put their team back in the game or on top, I don't see the problem.

What's the fun if they can't get the offense hyped up who are about to go out on the next possession. Being old and grumpy is dumb in my opinion...haha

If it were for a reason or not, at that point in the game, I was celebrating with him. Now I see it had a double meaning.
Old 11-19-2012   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, it bugged me a bit too, but it was still a stop of sorts.

The cheerleaders dancing right in front of a downed player bugged me FAR more. It was really strange.
Old 11-19-2012   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno. Kinda as the smell of damage control if you ask me. But whatever.

I just hope he's smart enough not to do it again the next time the defense is getting their heads handed to them.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a good thing we won.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I just hope he's smart enough not to do it again the next time the defense is getting their heads handed to them.
I can't see it that way. Truthfully, at the time it rubbed me the wrong way as well. After hearing the explanation behind I have no problem with it whatsoever. JJ made a promise and he kept it. A man of his word and I respect that.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #20
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Damage control? Now I feel like you're coming dangerously close to questioning his character. If JJ says he did it for the Berry kids then I believe him. No one would throw these kids in the mix to try to cover their butt. You can not like the fact that he did it, but to think its damage control is just recklessly silly in my book. He's been nothing but stand up since he's been here, broke out a new move, and explained why he did. I'm sure he was asked what that meant and he said why.

For the record I thought he was doing the cat daddy when I first saw it. Search youtube Kate Upton doing the cat daddy and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can thank me later.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read