Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2012   #101
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson allowing only 2.5 receptions and 35 yards per game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I also think something else was going on right there. McCain came running in before the snap, after the play had been called by the defense & everybody was getting set. You could see the Texans were a little confused about what they were supposed to do pre-snap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
KJ regressed into the KJ of old yesterday. He was just plain bad. Give him a few props then watch him stink it up.

I think the only way to get KJ to play well is for me to dog him. LOL I'm sure 76 will find a way to make KJ's performance yesterday fall on somebody elses shoulders. Here come the screen shots.
What I can decipher from the Texans' quotes is that Kubiak said there was some mis-assignment in the first half while JJo said that there was a wrong coverage.

I know some people like steelb most probably will disregard those statements. They feel better with words like "suck" and "regression".
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #102
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
KJ regressed into the KJ of old yesterday. He was just plain bad. Give him a few props then watch him stink it up.

I think the only way to get KJ to play well is for me to dog him. LOL I'm sure 76 will find a way to make KJ's performance yesterday fall on somebody elses shoulders. Here come the screen shots.
Yesterday was an example of D. Manning doing his best Bernard Pollard imitation. If I were to blame one player for yesterday's sloppy performance, it would be Manning. He was out of position in Cover 2 at least twice for huge plays. He missed a couple tackles using very poor form... His head was not in the game. Not a coincidence, that KJ looked like he did in 2010... because our safety play looked like it did in 2010 as well.
Old 11-19-2012   #103
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yesterday was an example of D. Manning doing his best Bernard Pollard imitation. If I were to blame one player for yesterday's sloppy performance, it would be Manning. He was out of position in Cover 2 at least twice for huge plays. He missed a couple tackles using very poor form... His head was not in the game. Not a coincidence, that KJ looked like he did in 2010... because our safety play looked like it did in 2010 as well.
Why some folks forget that this is a team game, I'll never know.
Old 11-19-2012   #104
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
While this is true...that Cecil Shorts TD is all on KJ. The team as whole just didn't show up yesterday. Obviously there was some hangover from the Chi game & they were clearly looking past Jax to the holidays and the DET game. You're not gonna show up with your A game every game in the season.

The key is how you deal with it during and going forward.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #105
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The team as whole just didn't show up yesterday.
I just didn't get that at all. The Jags simply looked better than a 1-8 team to me. We made a few mistakes, but no more than we always do. We aren't perfect, no NFL team is.

I think Jacksonville's best game was better than we anticipated & it took us a little while to figure it out. They've got their backs against the wall & played all out, doing things you wouldn't expect someone to do on 2nd & 4 or 1st & 10.

They were desperate & they played like it.
Old 11-19-2012   #106
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't always blame the safties when a CB has a bad day, deja vu all over again with this kinda talk
Old 11-19-2012   #107
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Can't always blame the safties when a CB has a bad day, deja vu all over again with this kinda talk
But you can blame the safeties when the coverage is a Cover 2 and the safety is nowhere to be found on a wide receiver post.

I love our safeties. However, it seemed pretty clear that Manning, in particular, had a very bad game yesterday. Fine with me. It happens. He probably emotionally crashed after the Chicago game and had a hard time getting up for this game.
Old 11-19-2012   #108
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just curious as to why Joseph was not switched to Blackmon after say the first 100yds?
Old 11-19-2012   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just curious as to why Joseph was not switched to Blackmon after say the first 100yds?
Kareem wasn't exclusively on Blackmon if that's what you're insinuating. Watch the highlights, Blackmon had his way with our secondary... bar none.

But a big problem here, I think, coming into the game nobody, not even the Jags, knew who their #1 WR was.
Old 11-19-2012   #110
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

On one of the plays yesterday where he was beat he should have had help on the inside the the safety moved up and opened a huge hole
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #111
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
While this is true...that Cecil Shorts TD is all on KJ. The team as whole just didn't show up yesterday. Obviously there was some hangover from the Chi game & they were clearly looking past Jax to the holidays and the DET game. You're not gonna show up with your A game every game in the season.

The key is how you deal with it during and going forward.
I've been talking about conspiracy.
That play looks like one to me.

The Jags were in single-back set, but we were in base defense.
Not only that, we took out a safety (we had KJ, JJo, McCain, and one safety in there I believe.) That is weird.

We went with zero coverage, but our lone safety played a little deep (away from KJ).
If the Jags wanted an easy target (wide open), they would find it on that side.
That's even weider.

Then look at the throwing lane on KJ's side; it was wide open even though we rushed six.
When you rush six, there should not be an open throwing lane like that; no way, no how!

Yupe, KJax missed that tackle big time (I even said so in the game thread), but Dobbins (who was originally on the RB, but dropped back when this guy stayed to block) was even worse on his angle. If he only had a similar attempt as KJ, I don't think it's a TD as McCain, Mercilus, and KJ would have gotten back.

And last of all, when Dobbins dropped back, he showed more interest in helping McCain on the other side.

Whatever that was, it's a very strange coverage that lends itself to disaster.
Old 11-19-2012   #112
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I think our safeties could have played better. Including Quin. But Kj is a grown up now & I think it's absolutely fair to get on him for his bad game. Maybe a safety should have been back there to stop the TD, but the Kj I know usually doesn't miss that tackle.

He got his hands on one ball. If he'd have pulled that one in, I think we could forgive him for his poor showing. Everybody get's beat every now & then. But you've got to make a play every now & then as well.

He didn't & it's about time we should be expecting him to.
Old 11-19-2012   #113
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
On one of the plays yesterday where he was beat he should have had help on the inside the the safety moved up and opened a huge hole
Yea, we talked about that one, too.
Old 11-19-2012   #114
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think our safeties could have played better. Including Quin. But Kj is a grown up now & I think it's absolutely fair to get on him for his bad game. Maybe a safety should have been back there to stop the TD, but the Kj I know usually doesn't miss that tackle.

He got his hands on one ball. If he'd have pulled that one in, I think we could forgive him for his poor showing. Everybody get's beat every now & then. But you've got to make a play every now & then as well.

He didn't & it's about time we should be expecting him to.
Most of the guys on defense had a "poor" day, some less, some worse.

I don't think KJax was among the worst ones out there, that's all.

He did enough not to allow a TD by Blackmon in the endzone.
He didn't let Blakmon gather both hands on the football.
It was touchy feely, sure, but it was tightly contested, unlike some other passes.
Old 11-19-2012   #115
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kareem wasn't exclusively on Blackmon if that's what you're insinuating. Watch the highlights, Blackmon had his way with our secondary... bar none.

But a big problem here, I think, coming into the game nobody, not even the Jags, knew who their #1 WR was.
Wasn't insinuating anything asking outright; why was not our best corner mirroring the guy that was having a record day against us? It became obvious rather quickly who Jag's #1 WR was. I don't recall Joseph on Blackmon one play.
Old 11-19-2012   #116
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

CBs will always have a harder time against larger WRs.

Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Vincent Jackson are three guys who come to mind...a CB is just already out-manned against those types of WRs, especially if those types of WRs know how to use their size to their advantage.

I mean, seriously...if a guy like Blackmon gets hot and the plays are called to get him into open space, hardly anybody is going to be able to cover him.

If anything, it looked like maybe the Jags were using a spread offense style...certain receivers run certain routes and a big stud like Blackmon is finding the open spaces in the field that result from other WRs clearing out space.

We had no answer for Blackmon, except for either Henne being off on a throw or Blackmon dropping a pass, or if we had tight enough coverage and other elements (pressure by DL) helped the CBs out.

To me, Danieal Manning has been playing less pass coverage and more run support in the past few games. He's trying to lay too many hits, whereas I remember him breaking up passes and making interceptions earlier in the season and last season too. The coverage all the way around hasn't been sharp since the Ravens game, and heck...we were getting huge pressure on Flacco that game (so what does that say? yeah, that's right: DL pressure is critical).
Old 11-19-2012   #117
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Now the play that really got to me is the one on third and 21 in the fourth quarter.

We actually had a LB helping out McCain initially against Blackmon in the slot.
Then both safeties converged (Manning and Demps).

Blackmon caught the ball in triple coverage and came out with an 80yd TD (granted the Jaguars blocked in the back downfield).

One guy defended by four and we couldn't get the job done; in the meantime, we want KJax to go man-on-man with Blackmon all day and win!
Old 11-19-2012   #118
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Now the play that really got to me is the one on third and 21 in the fourth quarter.

Blackmon caught the ball in triple coverage and came out with an 80yd TD (granted the Jaguars blocked in the back downfield).

One guy defended by four and we couldn't get the job done; in the meantime, we want KJax to go man-on-man with Blackmon all day and win!
Honestly, it looked like NONE of the secondary wanted to do much of anything that required high effort yesterday.

I think the Bears game, coupled with the upcoming Lions game, it was just a situation of the secondary (and the entire team, actually) sort of taking a break.

That's why I have said that THIS season, Matt Schaub is playing Super Bowl caliber football. Out of every player on the team, Schaub, to me, looks like a guy who wants and expects great things on every single snap of every single game. That foot injury, IMO, made him sit up and pay attention--He knows he's going to have to be the consummate leader every game.

Everyone else, though they might have had a shining moment yesterday every now and then, looked lethargic and spent. Like they were just ready to be done with it. Like "Why is Matt Schaub forcing us to keep up with him??? %$#@!"
Old 11-19-2012   #119
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I can rep you all day 76!

The guys I'm really pissed off at are Conner & Brooks. When Watt gets doubled (which seems like every play now), one of those guys MUST beat their guy one-one. The lack of pressure by the front 4 is causing Wade to dial up blitzes I don't think he wants to do.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #120
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The guys I'm really pissed off at are Conner & Brooks. When Watt gets doubled (which seems like every play now), one of those guys MUST beat their guy one-one. The lack of pressure by the front 4 is causing Wade to dial up blitzes I don't think he wants to do.
& it's not just Watt. I give him a hard time, but the Ninja draws a double team on every play, beating them from time to time & we're getting nothing out of Reed & Barwin.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read