Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2012   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub #2 all time, passing yards in a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I have wondered if the reps players were getting were because of the short week. Forsett played a lot more than expected (and probably should be getting a lot more carries based on his play today). Kubes still frustrates me with his playcalls, but you take the good with the bad. He's done good for this team and we can't just give all the credit to Wade Phillips.

Second on the Schaub for QB of the year. He's clearly been the best game manager.
It's impossible to make some people happy, especially GP

Whose play call was it that allow the Texans to score the most point ever?

Did Kubiak tell Graham to miss the FG?

Did Kubiak tell Wade he'd better have his defense sucking?

Come on guys
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's impossible to make some people happy, especially GP

Whose play call was it that allow the Texans to score the most point ever?

Did Kubiak tell Graham to miss the TWO FG's?

Did Kubiak tell Wade he'd better have his defense sucking?

Come on guys

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Thank you for the correction.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #24
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What, you think this just means all is forgiven of Kubiak???

We got the win, but damnation Kubiak went back and forth all day long...doing things that made sense (causing us to succeed), then deviating from it (causing us to suck). It was the most wish washy playcalling day I have seen in a long, long time.

The determination of our guys out there, and a bit of the Jags losing their nerve in important moments, saved our asses today.

Whether it is Dennison or Kubiak or both, I don't know, but this game and the GB game are the only two games I've seen our defense play a bit "off." This thing of the Texans' offense kicking back and sort of sleepwalking, it happens too often. We're a great team, though, and the leadership by Schaub & his offense is what is willing this team to victories.

Schaub is QB of the year, IMO. Period.
If it's on Kubiak's shoulders when the team and HIS players fail, then he should also get credit when the team and his players succeed. It should not be, "Schaub won despite Kubiak, but Kubiak is the head coach, so he is to blame for the losses". Just like Kubiak was responsible for the defensive woes with Frank Bush and company, but has zero to do with our defense this year or last.

I'm not saying all is forgiven, please understand that. I'm saying that win or lose, Kubiak deserves both credit and blame, but not all of it in either case.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak fumbled (Foster) and threw two INT's (Schaub) .... Kubiak gave up three TD's on third down's two of them 60+ yards .... Kubiak missed two FG's ..... Yep , Kubiak did all that and still found a way to eeek out a W.

Old 11-18-2012   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Strangely, being the Kubiak disser I normally am, I don't feel a need to get on him today. Yeah, the defense laid a big turd today, but that's more on Wade than Kubiak. We all know the story there. Kubiak's offense saved our asses today.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #27
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

So did Matt Schaub, with 527 yards today, just tie Warren Moon's #2 record for most passing yards in a game? Awesome, if so.
Not only that, but of the top 15 of most yards passing in a single game, only Matt Schaub is on that list twice.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #28
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1370 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I remember watching the Oilers game against the Chiefs when Moon threw for 527. Seems like the Oilers let up at the end and got the win and did not make an effort to break Van Brocklin's record which I think Moon would have easily done.
That's before my time. But my Dad tells me that Moon got pulled for the backup early in the 4th quarter of that game, and that he would have easily broken the record if they'd let him stay in. So basically, Warren Moon holds that honor with 3 quarters of work. Amazing.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's before my time. But my Dad tells me that Moon got pulled for the backup early in the 4th quarter of that game, and that he would have easily broken the record if they'd let him stay in. So basically, Warren Moon holds that honor with 3 quarters of work. Amazing.
The ole chuck and duck (run and shoot) was fun to watch .... but I'll never forget that damn Barfalo game they lost after leading .... 35-3 in the 3rd quarter .... Not to mention it was the Bills backup QB Frank Reich and not Jim Kelly under center.

That led to .... the hiring of Buddy Ryan and this incident

Buddy Ryan: f luck your chuck and duck.

Old 11-18-2012   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Only one QB had stats for Houston that day.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #31
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Moon wasn't pulled for the backup. He played the entire game. But rather than call more passing plays in order to get Moon the record in the closing minutes, the coaches rightly decided to run out the clock.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #32
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1370 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Moon wasn't pulled for the backup. He played the entire game. But rather than call more passing plays in order to get Moon the record in the closing minutes, the coaches rightly decided to run out the clock.
Ah. Well my Dad does seem to have selective memory. Thanks for clearing that up.

I know some folks will downplay this accomplishment because we got an extra possession in overtime. But posting HISTORIC numbers, I should think, would quiet some doubts people have about Matt Schaub's ability to carry this team to victory. He might not post 400 yards every week, but he sure as hell seems to come through when it counts.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #33
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He might not post 400 yards every week, but he sure as hell seems to come through when it counts.
He's a damn good QB --- I don't think there's any way around that. He is now 13-1 in his last 14 starts.
Old 11-18-2012   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ah. Well my Dad does seem to have selective memory. Thanks for clearing that up.

I know some folks will downplay this accomplishment because we got an extra possession in overtime. But posting HISTORIC numbers, I should think, would quiet some doubts people have about Matt Schaub's ability to carry this team to victory. He might not post 400 yards every week, but he sure as hell seems to come through when it counts.
He had posted great numbers in consecutive seasons (4500+ back to back , I believe only 9 QB's in history have accomplished the feat - from memory).

We all know he can throw the damn ball around and he's executed some 4th quarter comebacks (to be let down by the defense three times in 2010).

I think the biggest two knocks on Schaub are his lack of mobility (ability to extend plays) and that he doesnt have a cannon for an arm. Both would be fair criticism.

But , you do have to acknowledge the fact that he's "usually" very accurate , doesnt make many mistakes and is one of the best "ball handlers" in the NFL. (He probably left 50-75 yards on the field today with poor throws)

To be honest , I dont think he was really on top of his game today .... until that stretch of 16 straight completions.

One thing for sure , he's got to be more careful with the ball - Int last week , Two and a fumble this week. Very uncharacteristic mistakes by Schaub ..... You dont often lose the turnover battle and win in the NFL - Today they got away with one.

Old 11-18-2012   #35
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Yeah, they pulled in the reins when the game was clearly in hand, but if I recall correctly, Pardee said later that he didn't realize how close Moon was to the record, or he would have let him try to get it.

KC ended up going 11-5 that season. Kevin Ross and Albert Lewis were their starting CBs back then, and many believed they were the best pair in the NFL at the time. Both went to the Pro Bowl that year, and Lewis was All Pro.
Old 11-18-2012   #36
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He had posted great numbers in consecutive seasons (4500+ back to back , I believe only 9 QB's in history have accomplished the feat - from memory).
Close but not quite. Schaub is 1 of 12 QB's in nfl history to throw for 4,000 in back to back seasons. Only 5 have thrown for 4,500 back to back: Philip Rivers (2010-11), Dan Fouts (1980-81), Warren Moon (1990-91), Peyton Manning (2009-10) and Drew Brees (2010-11).
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He also holds the record for most passing yards by a visiting QB in Lambeau and did it during the coldest game of the year - 414 yds.
Old 11-18-2012   #38
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
if I recall correctly, Pardee said later that he didn't realize how close Moon was to the record, or he would have let him try to get it.
That does sound vaguely familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
KC ended up going 11-5 that season. Kevin Ross and Albert Lewis were their starting CBs back then, and many believed they were the best pair in the NFL at the time. Both went to the Pro Bowl that year, and Lewis was All Pro.
Wow, I had forgotten that. I just looked at KC's coaching staff that year. Bill Cowher was the defensive coordinator and Tony Dungy was the defensive backs coach.
Old 11-19-2012   #39
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Close but not quite. Schaub is 1 of 12 QB's in nfl history to throw for 4,000 in back to back seasons. Only 5 have thrown for 4,500 back to back: Philip Rivers (2010-11), Dan Fouts (1980-81), Warren Moon (1990-91), Peyton Manning (2009-10) and Drew Brees (2010-11).
I didnt bother to look it up .... Just went from memory knowing the list was short. Thanks for filling in the blanks in my memory.

Thats some lofty company with Fouts , Manning and Brees ....

I probably dont give Moon or Rivers the credit they are due but they remind me of one another as they'll make some big plays and then make critical mistakes.

Old 11-19-2012   #40
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Deleted
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read