Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2012   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Were we ever like this ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
it wasnt just one move though was it?

wade's hire meant the culmination of other good moves over the previous years finally came together- we had alot of offensive & defensive talent after years of overall good drafting & free agency and we had a good offensive coaching staff and a team that played hard.

finally bringing in an excellent defensive coach like wade and turning our major weakness (secondary) into a strength in the same offseason is what finally brought us in the elite realm many had predicted for the year or 2 before that

the jags have nothing like that & are way aways in terms of having the pieces necessary to contend
Any "turnaround" is NEVER just one move. Those who think that haven't done their homework.

Last year folks pointed to the Niners as the miracle turn-around team. But the Niners you see today have been building since 2005 when they drafted Alex Smith and Frank Gore.

There were years when the guys we cut ended up totally out of football. Now other teams are raiding our practice squad and snapping up folks we cut within days. Think about it; I don't believe Jacoby Jones or Trindon Holliday were out of a job for any more than a month. It may have been less than a week in Holliday's case. Some of us know-it-alls on here thought both were completely useless. Not to the teams who picked them up.

You want signs of respect. There it is right there. When other teams - and not just bottom feeders but contenders - can't wait to see who you cut so they can snag a possible starter, that, my friends, is the ultimate in respect IMHO.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #22
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If you sit through every single game all year you can see the "character" of the team. The Texans character for many years was that of a loser. Last year they began to change, this year they ARE changed. In years pasts, I always seemed to wait and hope they wouldn't blow it as they usually did, and was happy when they didn't. It's just the opposite now for me. I don't hope they'll win, I expect them to. It's nice to feel that way for a change.
A buddy of mine is a bit overly dramatic, and says before every single game: "I'm nervous, man. I'm very nervous." I always ask him why, and he has a different reason for every single game. I kid you not. He asked me before one game why I wasn't nervous, and I said: "Look, I'm done with expecting losses. I expect wins. Are we going to win every single game? Nope. But, I expect us to. We're a good team, and it's time we started acting like it."

I wasn't freaking out about the weather in Chicago like every other Texans fan. I just said: "Meh. They've played in bad weather before. We got this."

I go into every game expecting a win.

As for Jags fans: they can bite one. I don't feel sorry for them. They weren't the nicest people when we were at the bottom and they were going to the playoffs regularly.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #23
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Any "turnaround" is NEVER just one move. Those who think that haven't done their homework.

Last year folks pointed to the Niners as the miracle turn-around team. But the Niners you see today have been building since 2005 when they drafted Alex Smith and Frank Gore.

There were years when the guys we cut ended up totally out of football. Now other teams are raiding our practice squad and snapping up folks we cut within days.

You want signs of respect. There it is right there. When other teams can't wait to see who you cut so they can snag a possible starter, that, my friends, is the ultimate in respect IMHO.
Yep. Our cast-offs are now considered top notch. That is definitely a sign of progress and respect.

And you just know teams are keeping a careful eye on TJ Yates and Case Keenum. They're probably salivating over Yates, especially.
Old 11-17-2012   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

HWNWNBMH years, yep.

Quote:
Our nickname there is the tinhorns. My favorite though is from the Titans, moo cows. LOL
Which reflects the average maximum level of education of Tack fans: 5th grade.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #25
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
HWNWNBMH years, yep.

Which reflects the average maximum level of education of Tack fans: 5th grade.
LOL! I was wondering the same thing. Cows? Guess that's supposed to be a riff on bulls? FAIL.
Old 11-17-2012   #26
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's how bad it got for me:

In 2006, my buddies and I had just taken the tailgating truck out of storage to get it ready for the first preseason game. We struck up a conversation about how the Texans would do this year. Coming off the 2-14 season, we'd had a very nice draft and I was very hopeful for the team but I knew our latest draft class that included Mario, Demeco, Spencer and Winston would take some time to get up to speed. My comment to the conversations was

"I don't think we'll be any good this year but I like our direction, especially the two new tackles. Winston is a beast."

I had written off a complete year before it had even started. Realistic, but sad.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
LOL! I was wondering the same thing. Cows? Guess that's supposed to be a riff on bulls? FAIL.
Well, you ARE supposed to be insulting the rival teams, no?

It's why we have the Dolts, tits and kittens in our division.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

and we say those names with all the respect they deserve
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I submit the loser attitude began to change before last year. When they were still playing hard, in Dec., just to make it to 8-8... that's not a loser attitude. Losers would have mailed it in and just showed up to collect their game checks. They stopped doing that before 2010.

Last year they started to realize they could play with ANY team. This year they know, if they play their kind of football, they can whip any team. But Kubiak has them grounded enough that they know if they don't play their kind of football, they can lose any given Sunday. Keeps 'em hungry.
Don't forget we did go 9-7 in 2009. If anyone has coached a new team, or a young team moving up to the next age level knows, instilling a winning culture is a difficult thing to do.

We went 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 9-7 (& should've gone to the play-offs), 6-10, 10-6, most likely 10+ for 2012.

A lot of people want to look at that as failure but from where we were, no that's not failure that's building a winning foundation. We were basically an 8-8 team, sometimes we'd win 2 more games, sometimes 2 less.

Now, I feel like we are a 10-6 team, meaning we'll win between 8 & 12 games. Eventually we'll be a 12 win team, regardless of schedule (my contention is that because of our weak schedule, we'll probably win 12+ games this season).

& I know it's hard to see, but I think that is what Bob saw when he said we were on the right track 2 years ago.
Old 11-17-2012   #30
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Dolts are the only name I could come up with.

Tits/Tacks/Sisterkisses or just bad. That is the Titans

And of course, Kittens/Baguars/HWMNBN 2.0's/ and my personal contribution, the Faguars!!!!!

Always have fun with the other teams.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I always had hope. (even if just slim). If the Texans can beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh (with the Texans only gaining 47 Total yards) then anything is possible

Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #32
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Fiddler;2059240](my contention is that because of our weak schedule, we'll probably win 12+ games this season).QUOTE]

Hmmmm i dont think our schedule has been weak, yeah it sure did before the start of the season. We went to denver and won, we stomped the ravens, we went to chicago and won, we beat the dolphins handily and they havent been as bad as advertised, sure the jets suck but we still went to their house and beat them by multiple scores.

I def dont give credit to this seasons success to an easy schedule.
Old 11-17-2012   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
(my contention is that because of our weak schedule, we'll probably win 12+ games this season).
Hmmmm i dont think our schedule has been weak, yeah it sure did before the start of the season. We went to denver and won, we stomped the ravens, we went to chicago and won, we beat the dolphins handily and they havent been as bad as advertised, sure the jets suck but we still went to their house and beat them by multiple scores.

I def dont give credit to this seasons success to an easy schedule.
It was just my opinion, I understand if you don't agree. I'm not owing our success to an easy schedule. I believe we are a 10 win team give or take 2 games. I realistically expect this team to win between 8 & 12 games. Because of the strength of the AFC South, I wouldn't be surprised if we win more than 12.
Old 11-17-2012   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course we've been like this. The fans follow the team and when the team goes to 1-8 the fans follow them to the bottom of that dark place.
Old 11-17-2012   #35
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont know i wasent like that everytime we lost i would just come home and point out the problems of the game i wasent mad about it just dissapointed

but like someone said above me alot of people would joke about a loss just to laugh and cheer us up to cope with the Anger LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
........ cope with the Anger LOL
We'll probably be doing a lot of that tomorrow.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #37
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we were ever quite that pathetic. We never had to cover half our seats with tarps, after all...

my only other thought is, suck it glitter kitties! You deserve every loss...
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #38
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really care of Jags or any other team except for Texans, Rockets and Astros. However, I understand the pain you go through as a general fan of sports when your favorite team is not doing well. So, hanging in there Jags' fans, your time may come in the future. Don't give up hope.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #39
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a pretty objective guy. I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker. Hell, as a parent, my kids know they will get the straight, no kidding, honest brutal truth from me. Yes, you suck. It's time to move on to something else.

But. With this team. I have always had hope, even in the worst of times. In 2006 the sports bar I frequented felt so bad for me that at the end of the season they bought me a cake. It was so bad that at one point I hung with Bengal fans because we both were wallowing in our own teams mediocrity.

And now I've lost track of what point I was trying to make... Sunday night in Okinawa, too much beer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read