Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-16-2012   #141
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I love EIfert but OD is not going anywhere as on pace for 900 + yds. Casey will be resigned due to role he successfully fills. For a 3rd TE I like Mike Williams ND 6'5 272 good hands & very good blocker. Lower round than Fiedo. Besides, you don't go BPA when there is a dire need.

89 Michael Williams, TE
Alabama Crimson Tide

I think is whom you meant.
Old 11-17-2012   #142
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't believe I forgot about Terrance Williams. And he should be available when we pick first round...
Still, I just don't see us going for that big name WR in the first round. The only time that's ever happened is with AJ, IIRC. Jacoby was what, a third rounder?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #143
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Can't believe I forgot about Terrance Williams. And he should be available when we pick first round...
Still, I just don't see us going for that big name WR in the first round. The only time that's ever happened is with AJ, IIRC. Jacoby was what, a third rounder?
Yes JJ was a 3rd rounder and Terrance Williams might be available to us in the 2nd, if we do some trading up and get a higher 2nd round pick. There's some good 1st round WR talent next year, quite a few QB prospects, several OT prospects, some really good DT prospects, CB's etc... and all that talent may push Williams to the 2nd round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #144
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
However, if we cut A.Smith, W.Smith, or OD for cap room, we get zero compensation.
Interesting that you see these as being 'bad contracts' if they get cut before time, seems like teams use contracts where they have the option to cut the guy early and save money as a tool in writing contracts.

I'd also note that only one of those names has cost us a draft pick and all 3 have played an important role in recent successes.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #145
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
89 Michael Williams, TE
Alabama Crimson Tide

I think is whom you meant.
Yeah I was reviewing my notes on a new mock with emphasis on second round. I was looking at Eifert's evals and typing notes on lap top. Guess I should pay more attention. Not the first and not the last boo boo. I guarantee it.
Old 11-17-2012   #146
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a couple of Clemson guys who look good .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #147
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
There's a couple of Clemson guys who look good .
TBH, I have not followed this team; only two that stick out to me is QB Tajih Boyd who should remain in school and Rashard Hall safety that I mocked last season but lost interest in this one.
Old 11-17-2012   #148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
TBH, I have not followed this team; only two that stick out to me is QB Tajih Boyd who should remain in school and Rashard Hall safety that I mocked last season but lost interest in this one.
Both DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins should have a future in the NFL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #149
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Well after watching the Jags slice and dice them some Texans D, I've got this:

1 CORNERBACK!!! Can't have enough guys that can cover and McCain just doesn't play up to snuff. More and more the 3rd corner is less of a situational player and is on the field for multiple snaps in a row. Not to mention someone to push KJ further and take reps for resting starters. It makes sense. I wouldn't be totally opposed to getting someone like TJ McDonald and moving Quin to nickel/3rd safety duty since he kinda does that anyway.

2 RG/RT like before, it's hard to knock a line that just helped Matt Schaub into the record books. Still thinkin that right side needs a big boost and the early round is the time to do it.

3 P It was awesome watching the Jags punter boom it 60+ yards down the field every time.

4 WR I think pushing the newly created depth (Jean/Posey/Martin) with another mid round selection would do the trick. In house competition will bring the best out of all involved.

5 DT Takes a slide but I think it's appropriate. I think as long as the position isn't completely snubbed in the draft they'll be ok. Maybe someone like Sonny Harris shows up next year again.

6 RB

7 KICKER Yes I know. Bullock didn't beat out the clown we have now so I'm not sold.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #150
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Well after watching the Jags slice and dice them some Texans D, I've got this:
Quote:
1 CORNERBACK!!! Can't have enough guys that can cover and McCain just doesn't play up to snuff. More and more the 3rd corner is less of a situational player and is on the field for multiple snaps in a row. Not to mention someone to push KJ further and take reps for resting starters. It makes sense. I wouldn't be totally opposed to getting someone like TJ McDonald and moving Quin to nickel/3rd safety duty since he kinda does that anyway.
Jonathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State, 6010 186
Texans use Ben Tate to trade up to 17th pick in first round to select a top corner prospect. Used Tates original drafted slot (58th worth 320 points). Kubiak is openly frustrated with Ben & lack of availability, a change of venue my serve him well as I don't think he is happy playing second fiddle to Arian Foster. Now this would give Texans three CB's & maybe they drop Kareem more into nickle as you say McCain leaves via free agency.

Quote:
2 RG/RT like before, it's hard to knock a line that just helped Matt Schaub into the record books. Still thinkin that right side needs a big boost and the early round is the time to do it.
Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin, 6060 320
See Wagner in similar mold to Eric Winston. Big, smart technically sound could come into camp & win out RT position from Newton who would move back to swing tackle bumping both Butler & Gardner.

Quote:
3 P It was awesome watching the Jags punter boom it 60+ yards down the field every time.
Ryan Allen, Punter, La Tech, 6020 215
Leads the nation in punting average @ 48.2 per game. Your right special teams need infusion of talent. Texans will be their 5th rd. kicker back next season, Randy Bullock giving Texan kicking game a serious boost.

Quote:
4 WR I think pushing the newly created depth (Jean/Posey/Martin) with another mid round selection would do the trick. In house competition will bring the best out of all involved.
Connor Vernon, WR, Duke, 6000 200
Excellent route runner & willing blocker. Good possesion type receiver adds depth to roster & more competition.

Quote:
5 DT Takes a slide but I think it's appropriate. I think as long as the position isn't completely snubbed in the draft they'll be ok. Maybe someone like Sonny Harris shows up next year again.
Dave King, DE/DT, Oklahoma, 6050 286
Houston native, to come into camp & compete with Jamison who is out for season with torn acl, Texans do need to add depth across DL a loss to anyone now would be devastating.

Quote:
6 RB
Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford, 5-11 215
Plays bigger than he looks, a between the tackles thumper to replace Tate. Smart player with good ball production can be a bell cow, gets stronger with reps. Really impressive & big reason Stanford upset Oregon.

Quote:
7 KICKER Yes I know. Bullock didn't beat out the clown we have now so I'm not sold.
Bullock will be fine, before aggravating his groin he was dominate early in camp, then began his decline due to injury. Probably bpa for position of need. Hope you didn't mind I mocked you

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 11-19-2012 at 10:21 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #151
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Bullock will be fine, before aggravating his groin he was dominate early in camp, then began his decline due to injury. Probably bpa for position of need. Hope you didn't mind I mocked you
I don't think that churning up the foot-ballers on this team is such a bad idea but it seems like Bullock was handed the job and still couldn't do it. With the Texans history I don't totally buy the injury but I suppose he is owed at least one more shot...

I didn't mind at all. You guys are much farther along than I am so now I have some names to go research. Tell you one that would be awesome and I've seen badboy praise him too....Dion Jordan. I think he would be perfect for this D.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #152
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I don't think that churning up the foot-ballers on this team is such a bad idea but it seems like Bullock was handed the job and still couldn't do it. With the Texans history I don't totally buy the injury but I suppose he is owed at least one more shot...

I didn't mind at all. You guys are much farther along than I am so now I have some names to go research. Tell you one that would be awesome and I've seen badboy praise him too....Dion Jordan. I think he would be perfect for this D.
Let me toss you another name I have been watching, Quanteras Smith DE/OLB Western Kentucky. He plays with 3 Amigo mock selection Andrew Jackson. 7.5 sacks 2011 and 12.5 this year. He was suspended for one game "team rule violation" but I cannot find out what. Could be missed a meeting,etc
Old 11-23-2012   #153
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i think CB and safety have jumped up the board for me in the last few weeks. both positions have solid starters but consistent competition and pressure is required which i think we lack in these areas.
Behind JJo and K-jax is ball, mccain, harris and carmichael who havnt done anything. McCain hasnt been all bad but we need compeition in this area.

Behind Quinn and Manning is demps and Keo. I like demps i think his a playmaker and keo is an excellent special teamer but i think we need to add in an extra guy here to get the most out of this group.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #154
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

at the moment my key areas are
OT, OG, TE, ILB, OLB, NT, CB, S

my reasoning is either depth is not very good, so incase of injury, or the starters need to be upgraded or pushed
Old 11-23-2012   #155
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
at the moment my key areas are
OT, OG, TE, ILB, OLB, NT, CB, S

my reasoning is either depth is not very good, so incase of injury, or the starters need to be upgraded or pushed
what about aussie Jesse Williams, NT Alabama? Like a big can of Fosters in the middle of Bud & Miller Light.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #156
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
what about aussie Jesse Williams, NT Alabama? Like a big can of Fosters in the middle of Bud & Miller Light.
funny no one drinks fosters in australia, you go overseas and its everywhere.
but i like the way you think. williams is a beast of a man and would be a great pick up. im thinking him or nix from ND as first round NTs to look at
Old 11-24-2012   #157
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Alot of this depends on things like do they re-sign Walter-Quin-Barwin-McCain?

How well do Mercilus/Barwin play in Reeds place?

Right now I think needs go something like this WR/RT/K/NT/CB/ILB/OLB/S/P.

If Quin leaves, the way the Texans use him S goes to need #1.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012   #158
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Alot of this depends on things like do they re-sign Walter-Quin-Barwin-McCain?

How well do Mercilus/Barwin play in Reeds place?

Right now I think needs go something like this WR/RT/K/NT/CB/ILB/OLB/S/P.

If Quin leaves, the way the Texans use him S goes to need #1.
i would probably agree with this. i dont see quinn leaving though.
With butler, caldwell, and one of james or dobbins leaving, chuck in maybe mccain plus restructuring and maybe some other moves i think we keep all our key guys.
Old 11-24-2012   #159
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...tml?xid=cnnbin

plus 10mil in dead money because of d.ryans will help out.
i have faith in the FO to be able to sign our key guys.
Old 11-24-2012   #160
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...tml?xid=cnnbin

plus 10mil in dead money because of d.ryans will help out.
i have faith in the FO to be able to sign our key guys.
I also believe Barwin will be fairly easy to re-sign after his lackluster season.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read