Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2005   #41
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Totally agree with you Bullfan. My slim hope is that maybe Wand will stick around for the next coaching regime, who might recognize that the guy is a decent lineman. Getting rid of Pendry is more of a priority to me than getting rid of Capers.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #42
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

personally after seeing pitts play as well as he has at LT i don't really see a reason to move him again period...we might want to just keep him there long time and pick up a solid LG to play next to him...david joseph would be an excellent pick up here (from oklahoma by the way)...we might be able to get him in the second round as well...that being said we still need to pick up o-lineman in the draft by my count atleast 3...a tackle, guard, and center...and yes i do have a list of guys i'd like to see in a texans uni next year...the center being raiola from wisconsin...the tackle being whitworth...anyways...i'm all for pitts staying at LT...but if we do pick up ferguson or another LT in the 1st round of the draft LG is where he'll make is home for good
Old 11-15-2005   #43
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfan
We'll never know. Wand hasn't been coached and supported like Chester. Maybe with new coaches things won't be so rosy for Chester or on a new team Wand will shine or maybe not. There is no way we will ever know and who can "judge" the better athletic, certainly not our coaches and you'll never get anyone on this message board to agree.
I agree. A lot of people think this is a zero sum game - if Pitts is good, Wand is bad. If someone says Wand is good, then the assumption is that he thinks Chester is bad. That's just not the way it works. Wouldn't it have been cool if Wand had gotten the coaching support that Chester had after Chester's rough first year of starting, and right now we'd have 2 good young tackles?

Wand's first year starting, considering sacks and penalties, was similar to Pitts'. Good thing we didn't throw Chester on the scrap heap then! In addition, a while ago someone broke down running stats from last year. They posted the yards per carry outside right, inside right, inside left, and outside left. Would anybody be surprised to know that our best running (yards per carry) last year was outside left? I think inside left had the second most yards/carry. There is more to being a lineman than just pass blocking, and Pendry threw away our best run blocking tandem in Pitts/Wand even as the team focused on running.

Last edited by Runner; 11-15-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #44
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
we still need 2 tackles. so draft the best tackle available and then let him compete with pitts. whoever comes out on top should play lt tackle. and the other one should play rt tackle. makes since to me.
You don't need two tackles, Pitts is the Tackle we have been wanting. If you dont believe me just watch him. He was really good against the most feared DE in the league. And that's the fact jack!
Old 11-15-2005   #45
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we should just only use Wand on run plays and move him and Pitts to the side we want to run on.

Then we could have Carr fake the hand-off sometimes and run the other....oh, we did that last year.

Did we ever run to right side last year? I mean, not counting Carr? Doesn't seem like it.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #46
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously, it sounds like we've got an LT. We've been wanting that for a long time and I think he should stay there until and unless someone proves they are better. Lord knows we can run to the left side anyway. That's on just my

Wand played something other than LT earlier this year and I thought he did pretty well, but I can't remember if it was RT or one of the guards. Don't know if he was better than who's there now either. Probably not.

McKinney is WAY better at guard than center. The man should never be allowed to hike a ball again.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #47
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Thank You, someone knows what they are talking about. We dont need a LT, we need 4 other O-Lineman.
Old 11-15-2005   #48
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
You don't need two tackles, Pitts is the Tackle we have been wanting. If you dont believe me just watch him. He was really good against the most feared DE in the league. And that's the fact jack!
every team plays with two tackles.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Seriously, it sounds like we've got an LT. We've been wanting that for a long time and I think he should stay there until and unless someone proves they are better. Lord knows we can run to the left side anyway. That's on just my
Let's not get too excited. Pitts is far superior to what we have had, which is too say he is far superior to--hold on, must wipe off shoe, where did this burger come from, anyway--what we have had, rather than far superior to the league average. JMO but the Texans are wrong and Pitts plays better at T than G but with that said he can be OK at LT and elite at RT. Draft a guy for LT--let Pitts play as long as necessary (no preconceived notion of zero games or one year) and then keep the best one at LT and the other to RT--fill in the middle.
Old 11-15-2005   #50
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Now I do like this scenario alot, and I believe if we keep Pitts at LT till someone better moves him over to RT, but till then, don't touch the guy. Just let him play where he's at.
Old 11-16-2005   #51
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

hopefully this offseason (with a LT in the 1st round) we can play with our line a little bit to find the best combination. i have been wanting to see wand and RT (and hopefully we will see that sunday) but now that pitts has handled the LT duties better than i expected, i would like to see him at RT during the offseason.

i think part of the problem would be if we find someone better than wade at RT, people would want answers as to why we got him in the 1st place and payed him such an outragous signing bonus
Old 11-16-2005   #52
Davis37
All Pro

I just hope that CC pulls one of those "Pitts played well, and we think he can be our LT of the future" and not take an elite LT in the 1st round.
Old 11-16-2005   #53
texan0305
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 texan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famer
Default yaa i like

ya i like pitts i agree with all the people that have chimed in on pitts and how good of a job he's getting, hes done well and plus he is still relatively young the whole line is young except for mckinney. Umm on the draft if we like a top 5 pick i want to see us get Reggie Bush, think about it, he's not from texas and his last name is bush its the inevitable he's coming here guys, hes not from here but he got here as fast as we can draft him! ahhh yes i live for sundays in 2006!
texan0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #54
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I love the Wand/Pitts tackle combination, and I have been saying for a while that I don't think a LT is what we really need. We point to it as a low spot on the line, and it feels like it is, but that's because we've had three different people at LT on game 1 of each of the last three seasons (Pitts, Wand, Riley). The only real step back I saw was Riley. IMO, Wand/Pitts and Weigert/Wade this year would have been much better than what we have seen. I've never been a fan of McKinney. IMHO he gets pushed around a lot. Draft/Free Agent a new center this off-season and forget the LT.

That being said, I think the easy excuse is that the Texans offense isn't hitting on all pistons because of the LT spot and the Texans will draft a Ferguson/Winston anyway. If you can't fix it, throw money at it.
Old 11-16-2005   #55
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

You draft a guy like Winston who is cerebral and better than Pitts. He is a NE type of lineman a guy that can line up anywere on the line except Center and be very productive. He also athletic enough to come in on goaline as an eligible receiver like Dwayne Carswell. We need line help and Winston and Lecharles Bentley would go a long way in that process. Not sure if the Saints let Bentley shake free, but if he does and we dont do what it takes to lock him down we are stupid. You have to throw money at it cause Wand is not a long-term solution and niether is Weigert. If we incorporate this philosophy though we can probably trade down to the tail end of the top 10 and still get the best lineman for us.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #56
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

You make Winston sound really good. I wonder people see in Ferguson, then? (Just playing Devil's Advocate.)
Old 11-16-2005   #57
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Well I will talk about Ferguson also. Ferguson is the best Pure LT in the draft. Thomas is probably the best pass blocker, but that is up for discussion. Ferguson could also line up at G but he does not have the power or mean streak to really succeed at it. Ferguson is a rare sized athlete. He has the best feet and side-to-side mobility of any OL that I have seen this year in college football. His strength is not great, but on a NFL weight program and food program he will get much stronger. He is quite lanky so he can add likely 10-15 extra pounds without losing any athleticism. He will actually on an NFL program drop weight and add alot of muscle. The guy is a rare talent as good as Gallery or Gross.

Ferguson is definately the best OL right now available, but I think Winston fits our need at OL more.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #58
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I have been a fan of Pitts for a while. His biggest problem is that he is a penalty machine. He has been an adequate LT, and I thought LG might work for him. The idea of putting him at RT hadn't occurred to me since before we signed Wade. I had completely forgotten about that possibility. I like the idea of Pitts playing LT next year and letting the rookie 1st rounder play RT. Then flip-flopping them in 2007 (assuming the new guy is ready). That would take care of the two most important positions on the line. Next we would need to find a good center.
Old 11-16-2005   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I have been a fan of Pitts for a while. His biggest problem is that he is a penalty machine.
Just FYI--this year "knock on wood" he is doing much better. Thru 9 games he has 3 penalities--0 false starts, 1 holding and 2 penalties at the beginning of the Seatle game for lining up wrong--basically 1 penalty.
Old 11-16-2005   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I have been a fan of Pitts for a while. His biggest problem is that he is a penalty machine. He has been an adequate LT, and I thought LG might work for him. The idea of putting him at RT hadn't occurred to me since before we signed Wade. I had completely forgotten about that possibility. I like the idea of Pitts playing LT next year and letting the rookie 1st rounder play RT. Then flip-flopping them in 2007 (assuming the new guy is ready). That would take care of the two most important positions on the line. Next we would need to find a good center.
I'd agree Orgre. trade down a few places for another 1st rd pick in 07, draft Winston & start him out at RT. We have Hodgdon @ Center already & I think he has looked good for the future of this position if he does'nt have signifcant helath concerns. So what we need to address is Pitts replacement at LG since he is working out at LT. I posted this on another thread http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...879#post205879 if the Texans use the 2nd rd pick on Davin Joseph our line problems will be well behind us.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read